What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 KEEPER HELP (1 Viewer)

C: M Montero: $31B: A LaRoche: $1 M Cuddyer: $42B: M Scutaro: $2SS: I Desmond: $13B: E Encarnacion: $2 R Zimmerman: $7OF: Ad Jones: $3 B Gardner: $4 J Willingham: $2 C Rasmus: $3 J Reddick: $1 A Eaton: $1 D Brown: $1 C Ross: $1 J Ruggiano: $1 J Jay: $1SP: C Sale: $2 M Scherzer: $3 WY Chen: $1 D Holland: $2 E Santana: $2 E Stultz: 41 RP: F Fransico: $3 G Perkins: $1
E Encarnacion: $2Ad Jones: $3J Willingham: $2J Reddick: $1A LaRoche: $1C Sale: $2M Scherzer: $3?????????

My options aren't fantastic. My offense was offensive. Pitching is probably my best option.Round 6: Cole HamelsRound 10: Yu DarvishRound 11: Gio GonzalezBest value is Gio but I have a hard time letting Hamels go. #1 numbers every year.ETA: We only keep 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
'scrumptrulescent said:
My options aren't fantastic. My offense was offensive. Pitching is probably my best option.Round 6: Cole HamelsRound 10: Yu DarvishRound 11: Gio GonzalezBest value is Gio but I have a hard time letting Hamels go. #1 numbers every year.ETA: We only keep 1.
Between Darvish and Gio, I'd be tempted to pick Darvish. More risk and Gio certainly pitched better last year, but the Ks upside for Darvish is hard to let go.

'Annyong said:
'Wrigley said:
C: M Montero: $31B: A LaRoche: $1 M Cuddyer: $42B: M Scutaro: $2SS: I Desmond: $13B: E Encarnacion: $2 R Zimmerman: $7OF: Ad Jones: $3 B Gardner: $4 J Willingham: $2 C Rasmus: $3 J Reddick: $1 A Eaton: $1 D Brown: $1 C Ross: $1 J Ruggiano: $1 J Jay: $1SP: C Sale: $2 M Scherzer: $3 WY Chen: $1 D Holland: $2 E Santana: $2 E Stultz: 41 RP: F Fransico: $3 G Perkins: $1
E Encarnacion: $2Ad Jones: $3J Willingham: $2J Reddick: $1A LaRoche: $1C Sale: $2M Scherzer: $3?????????
I've got this plus I Desmond: $1So $3 left to spend.

'scrumptrulescent said:
Between Darvish and Gio, I'd be tempted to pick Darvish. More risk and Gio certainly pitched better last year, but the Ks upside for Darvish is hard to let go.
I don't know about that. I like his shot at K's but he's not only in a hitters park, but also has to face AL lineups all season. Hamels is in a hitters park but has proven himself for years so it's not much of an issue.

'scrumptrulescent said:
I don't know about that. I like his shot at K's but he's not only in a hitters park, but also has to face AL lineups all season. Hamels is in a hitters park but has proven himself for years so it's not much of an issue.
Hamels GB rate went through the floor last season and his outfield defense is going to include Delmon Young. Add the declining offense, the improved divisional opponents and he's less likely to pile up wins. That's just not worth a 4 or 5 round premium over the other guys you could keep.

I have ####ty keeper options. We keep 5, no $ or round value.I think these are my definites:EncarnacionCastroSaleGreinkeMy last is between:CraigJenningsMedlenCuetoGoldschmidtBeltranLawrie

'scrumptrulescent said:
If you think Hamels is an elite pitcher, keep him for that price. I don't think he is, not worth the 5 round premium to Gio. I'd keep him.

I have ####ty keeper options. We keep 5, no $ or round value.I think these are my definites:EncarnacionCastroSaleGreinkeMy last is between:CraigJenningsMedlenCuetoGoldschmidtBeltranLawrie
I think you're under selling your keeper options, they're pretty good. Send Greinke back, keep Goldy and either Lawrie or Jennings. I believe in Lawrie, but I know many don't, so if that's the case then keep Jennings.If it were me I'd be trying to pair Encarnacion with another player to get a bigger better than Edwin too.

'Wrigley said:
C: M Montero: $31B: A LaRoche: $1SS: I Desmond: $13B: E Encarnacion: $2 OF: Ad Jones: $3 J Willingham: $2 J Reddick: $1 SP: C Sale: $2 M Scherzer: $3
Here ya go.
I'd rather keep Gardner and send back Montero + Desmond. Rest is good.
Wow 20/20 looks pretty good penciled in the SS spot(and you can't beat the price).....of course, last year he hit more HR's than he'd hit in the rest of his career combined. I've really got no problem throwing back MonteroJust got to give back that extra $1 to make Gardner fit.

'Wrigley said:
C: M Montero: $31B: A LaRoche: $1SS: I Desmond: $13B: E Encarnacion: $2 OF: Ad Jones: $3 J Willingham: $2 J Reddick: $1 SP: C Sale: $2 M Scherzer: $3
Here ya go.
Wow 20/20 looks pretty good penciled in the SS spot(and you can't beat the price).....of course, last year he hit more HR's than he'd hit in the rest of his career combined. I've really got no problem throwing back MonteroJust got to give back that extra $1 to make Gardner fit.
Wary last year was a career year from desmond. In a one catcher league really don't need to keep one. Your roster needs speed and if Gardner is healthy he offers that. Wish he were three bucks and you could just keep him instead of Montero

C: M Montero: $3

1B: A LaRoche: $1 M Cuddyer: $4

2B: M Scutaro: $2

SS: I Desmond: $1

3B: E Encarnacion: $2 R Zimmerman: $7

OF: Ad Jones: $3 B Gardner: $4 J Willingham: $2 C Rasmus: $3 J Reddick: $1 A Eaton: $1 D Brown: $1 C Ross: $1 J Ruggiano: $1 J Jay: $1

SP: C Sale: $2 M Scherzer: $3 WY Chen: $1 D Holland: $2 E Santana: $2 E Stultz: 41

RP: F Fransico: $3 G Perkins: $1
And then some combination of LaRoche/Desmond/Reddick. Only other thing I'd consider is dropping Willingham to add Scherzer.

'Wrigley said:
Here ya go.
Wary last year was a career year from desmond. In a one catcher league really don't need to keep one. Your roster needs speed and if Gardner is healthy he offers that. Wish he were three bucks and you could just keep him instead of Montero
Rather toss back LaRoche than Desmond.

Same boat as shady. keep 5, no $, no clockFor sure keeping Tulo, Bruce and MadBumAfter that, it's 2 of......LawrieDarvishMatt MooreKipnisDesmond Jennings

'Wrigley said:
Here ya go.
Rather toss back LaRoche than Desmond.
Torn between the two, but, yeah, one of them. Wrig, if you're more comfortable with Desmond then this works too imho.

Same boat as shady. keep 5, no $, no clockFor sure keeping Tulo, Bruce and MadBumAfter that, it's 2 of......LawrieDarvishMatt MooreKipnisDesmond Jennings
Move Moore into the for sure camp.I prefer Lawrie to Kipnis, SB's look like a potential outlier and while his 1st half was mostly scorching his end game numbers basically tied to projections...except for SB's. He wasn't considered a special prospect, Lawrie and Jennings are, I would gamble on one of them. As I mentioned to shady I lean Lawrie.

Id say moore and kipnis. I might even consider darvish over madbum. How bout mine?
Actually...depending on your league...I may dump Bumgarner and keep both Lawrie and Jennings. Personally, I usually am able to piece a pitching staff together with sticky tack and glue. If you think you can do the same then keep more bats. I rarely draft more than 1 starting arm in the first 8-9 rounds or so.

I like Gardner too, but you can target him again in the draft. I think that $4 is much better spent holding other players.Have you projected who is going to be avail., and how everyone else might spend their 18$? That might be a helpful exercise, if not time-consuming and nerdy.One good argument against Montero is that catcher looks to be pretty deep this year.

I like Gardner too, but you can target him again in the draft. I think that $4 is much better spent holding other players.Have you projected who is going to be avail., and how everyone else might spend their 18$? That might be a helpful exercise, if not time-consuming and nerdy.One good argument against Montero is that catcher looks to be pretty deep this year.
I'm just getting my feet warm for 2013, anyone got a feel for how the public is valuing Gardner? I know what I expect, as I have most of my rankings done, but haven't gotten to cross referencing vs. the masses yet. Expecting him to be a value, but...how much of one? If he is an afterthought then the judge may have a point. Just hate keeping Montero, seems like a waste of cash.

I like Gardner too, but you can target him again in the draft. I think that $4 is much better spent holding other players.

Have you projected who is going to be avail., and how everyone else might spend their 18$? That might be a helpful exercise, if not time-consuming and nerdy.

One good argument against Montero is that catcher looks to be pretty deep this year.
One thing that strikes me about this format is that keeper price isn't that important. You're unlikely to be keeping someone for multiple years unless they're a great talent. Keeping 12th-round picks just isn't that valuable. Or at least they're fungible enough that if you keep a few guys for $1 that's probably better than keeping last year's $1 guy for $3.That's why I thought that he should keep Zimmerman. I don't know what the draft boards look like this year but I'd guess he's something like a 5th or 6th round pick. I'd rather have that in the bank than 2 or 3 guys who were solid last year but have significant odds of being replacement level if they come back to Earth.

'Matthias said:
I like Gardner too, but you can target him again in the draft. I think that $4 is much better spent holding other players.

Have you projected who is going to be avail., and how everyone else might spend their 18$? That might be a helpful exercise, if not time-consuming and nerdy.

One good argument against Montero is that catcher looks to be pretty deep this year.
One thing that strikes me about this format is that keeper price isn't that important. You're unlikely to be keeping someone for multiple years unless they're a great talent. Keeping 12th-round picks just isn't that valuable. Or at least they're fungible enough that if you keep a few guys for $1 that's probably better than keeping last year's $1 guy for $3.That's why I thought that he should keep Zimmerman. I don't know what the draft boards look like this year but I'd guess he's something like a 5th or 6th round pick. I'd rather have that in the bank than 2 or 3 guys who were solid last year but have significant odds of being replacement level if they come back to Earth.
Since I have finally given up on Zimmerman this will be the year he goes nuts, but as a repeat former Zimmerman owner I don't fault anyone for looking elsewhere. Reviewing most of my 2nd and 3rd place teams over the last few years he was the common issue, too talented to bench and not productive enough to start - the worst type to own.

Think I'd go Darvish and Lawrie. That gives you your SS, 3B, OF, and 2 SP slots filled for nice flexibility in the draft. Jennings could become something special but I think there's enough shine worn off that he could be drafted at a reasonable point this year. Not sure if you'd get any bargains on the guys you're keeping.

Since I have finally given up on Zimmerman this will be the year he goes nuts, but as a repeat former Zimmerman owner I don't fault anyone for looking elsewhere. Reviewing most of my 2nd and 3rd place teams over the last few years he was the common issue, too talented to bench and not productive enough to start - the worst type to own.
Huh?Out of his last 4 seasons, the only one that would be really disappointing would be 2011.

I have not done any projections beyond my team....yet.League is odd in that you never know what an owner is going to do. It's not unheard of to have a team keep all pitching/closers, or to only keep 2 or 3 players. Several big name players should be available at the draft: Miggy, Pujols, Braun, Kemp......all are $7+, but you never know what an owner is thinking.

Id say moore and kipnis. I might even consider darvish over madbum. How bout mine?
Yours....Castro, Sale are must keeps.I don't think I'd be keeping a 30yo EE. You're throwing 2 younger 1Bs (goldy / craig) back in the pool that could very well put up the same numbers. If all 3 of them end up in the draft, odds are you are coming out with one of them.That leaves 2 spots. I'd go Lawrie / Medlen.If you are against keeping 3 arms, I'd throw Jennings in there and decide between Medlen / Greinke.

'Matthias said:
Huh?Out of his last 4 seasons, the only one that would be really disappointing would be 2011.
Did you own him any of those years?

'Matthias said:
Think I'd go Darvish and Lawrie. That gives you your SS, 3B, OF, and 2 SP slots filled for nice flexibility in the draft. Jennings could become something special but I think there's enough shine worn off that he could be drafted at a reasonable point this year. Not sure if you'd get any bargains on the guys you're keeping.
Agreed, but i wouldnt fault you for keeping Moore instead of Darvish.

I have not done any projections beyond my team....yet.League is odd in that you never know what an owner is going to do. It's not unheard of to have a team keep all pitching/closers, or to only keep 2 or 3 players. Several big name players should be available at the draft: Miggy, Pujols, Braun, Kemp......all are $7+, but you never know what an owner is thinking.
i think Kemp might be getting kept

Same league as wrigley, these values are for this season, +$2 each year, max of $18 keepable.

Bolded is what im leaning

Robinson Cano $8

Giancarlo Stanton $5

Troy Tulowitzki $5

Joel Hanrahan $5

Emilio Bonifacio $3

Cameron Maybin $3

Kendrys Morales $3

Carlos Marmol $3

Jordan Zimmermann $3

Bryce Harper $2

Jason Kubel $2

Mike Trout $2

Tyler Clippard $2

Edwin Jackson $2

Mike Minor $2

Alexi Amarista $1

Todd Frazier $1

Chipper Jones $1

Carlos Ruiz $1

Jean Segura $1

Alfredo Aceves $1

Brett Anderson $1

Jeff Karstens $1

Wade Miley $1

Jeff Samardzija $1

Anthony Rizzo $1

Same league as wrigley, these values are for this season, +$2 each year, max of $18 keepable.

Robinson Cano $8

Giancarlo Stanton $5

Troy Tulowitzki $5

Joel Hanrahan $5

Emilio Bonifacio $3

Cameron Maybin $3

Kendrys Morales $3

Carlos Marmol $3

Jordan Zimmermann $3

Bryce Harper $2

Jason Kubel $2

Mike Trout $2

Tyler Clippard $2

Edwin Jackson $2

Mike Minor $2

Alexi Amarista $1

Todd Frazier $1

Chipper Jones $1

Carlos Ruiz $1

Jean Segura $1

Alfredo Aceves $1

Brett Anderson $1

Jeff Karstens $1

Wade Miley $1

Jeff Samardzija $1

Anthony Rizzo $1
That looks about right.Really wish I would have kept Harper/Trout last year.

Robinson Cano $8

Giancarlo Stanton $5

Troy Tulowitzki $5

Joel Hanrahan $5

Emilio Bonifacio $3

Cameron Maybin $3

Kendrys Morales $3

Carlos Marmol $3

Jordan Zimmermann $3

Bryce Harper $2

Jason Kubel $2

Mike Trout $2

Tyler Clippard $2

Edwin Jackson $2

Mike Minor $2

Alexi Amarista $1

Todd Frazier $1

Chipper Jones $1

Carlos Ruiz $1

Jean Segura $1

Alfredo Aceves $1

Brett Anderson $1

Jeff Karstens $1

Wade Miley $1

Jeff Samardzija $1

Anthony Rizzo $1
how about dropping Tulo and keeping J Zimmerman and Kubel instead? that would give mec

1b

2b

3b

ss

of stanton

of trout

of harper

of kubel

ut rizzo

ut frazier

p j zimmerman

p samardjia

p b anderson

Robinson Cano $8

Giancarlo Stanton $5

Troy Tulowitzki $5

Joel Hanrahan $5

Emilio Bonifacio $3

Cameron Maybin $3

Kendrys Morales $3

Carlos Marmol $3

Jordan Zimmermann $3

Bryce Harper $2

Jason Kubel $2

Mike Trout $2

Tyler Clippard $2

Edwin Jackson $2

Mike Minor $2

Alexi Amarista $1

Todd Frazier $1

Chipper Jones $1

Carlos Ruiz $1

Jean Segura $1

Alfredo Aceves $1

Brett Anderson $1

Jeff Karstens $1

Wade Miley $1

Jeff Samardzija $1

Anthony Rizzo $1
how about dropping Tulo and keeping J Zimmerman and Kubel instead? that would give mec

1b

2b

3b

ss

of stanton

of trout

of harper

of kubel

ut rizzo

ut frazier

p j zimmerman

p samardjia

p b anderson
Funny, I also owned Samardjia tooI'm not a fan of keeping pitchers.......But if you are, Zimmerman/Kubel isn't a bad option

how about dropping Tulo and keeping J Zimmerman and Kubel instead? that would give mec1b2b3bssof stantonof troutof harperof kubelut rizzout frazierp j zimmermanp samardjiap b anderson
I like Zimmerman but Kubel doesn't have much keeper value so you're basically keeping Zimmerman over Tulo which would be a mistake. If you throw Zimmerman back, you can draft him back onto your team for a later pick than you could Tulo. Also I don't like to completely fill one area (OF/MI/CI) before the draft to keep some flexibility and especially with OFers to leave a spot or two for guys who I think are going late that year but shouldn't be.All in all, though, the backbone of a pretty fantastic team.

Robinson Cano $8

Giancarlo Stanton $5

Troy Tulowitzki $5

Joel Hanrahan $5

Emilio Bonifacio $3

Cameron Maybin $3

Kendrys Morales $3

Carlos Marmol $3

Jordan Zimmermann $3

Bryce Harper $2

Jason Kubel $2

Mike Trout $2

Tyler Clippard $2

Edwin Jackson $2

Mike Minor $2

Alexi Amarista $1

Todd Frazier $1

Chipper Jones $1

Carlos Ruiz $1

Jean Segura $1

Alfredo Aceves $1

Brett Anderson $1

Jeff Karstens $1

Wade Miley $1

Jeff Samardzija $1

Anthony Rizzo $1

1b

2b

3b

ss

of stanton

of trout

of harper

of kubel

ut rizzo

ut frazier

p j zimmerman

p samardjia

p b anderson
I'd keep Tulo. I think what you have bolded looks good. And I like Samardjiza, but give me the dollar bill over two quarters.

What do you guys think of Frazier? Rising star or middle of the pack 3b?
Probably somewhere in between, don't think he's a rising star but his upside is higher than just another CI. Like him this year because he should have a playing time discount applied to his cost.

I think you're under selling your keeper options, they're pretty good. Send Greinke back, keep Goldy and either Lawrie or Jennings. I believe in Lawrie, but I know many don't, so if that's the case then keep Jennings.If it were me I'd be trying to pair Encarnacion with another player to get a bigger better than Edwin too.
So I just traded Greinke for GrandersonSo my 5 keepers are:EEGrandersonCastroSaleLawrieI think I like Lawrie better than Goldy & Jennings

Can keep 6 players. Points league favoring hitters. The question I think I have is what are the experts here thinking of Headley? He has drawn some interest around the league and I think I can move him...maybe for a 4th or 5th. For perspective, he was the 5th highest scoring hitter in our league last year, behind only Braun, Miggy, Trout and 'Cutch.Potential keepers: Pujols, Kinsler, Headley, Braun, Felix, Cliff LeeNon keepers that could replace Headley: Bourn (already have 3 OF, see below), Freese, Doumit, Lohse...yuk, probably would lean Freese.We also have a "plus" system and minors where I'll be keeping the following players (listing the 2013 contributors only):Craig, Cespedes, Kimbrel, Freeman, SkaggsJust traded Austin Jackson, Matt Adams, and an 11th for Skaggs and a 7th. :thumbup:

I am having a tough time with this decisionMy league has 5 years to give out to any players drafted in round 10-21 (5 years to 1 player, 1 year to 5 players or anything in between)Last year I kept B Harper and gave him 3 years. He has 2 years left this season. I drafted him in Rd 17I drafted M Trout in round 12Do I give Trout 5 years and bail on Harpers 2. Or do I give Trout 3, keep Harpers 2 and have a nice OF for the next 2 yearsLast one. I drafted F Freeman in the 11th. Any thought of giving Trout 2, Harper 2 and Freeman 1Its H2H points, not roto

What sort of players were picked up in the fourth the last couple years?
Is that for me, Mac? 14 team league.Good exercise. Headley is only worth a 4th for my team if I'm feelin' Freese and not diggin' Headley. I draft well in this league, and looking back the last 3 years I've gone SP or RP with my four 4th round picks (my hitting lineup is basically filled up by then).2012 4th:Volquez, Dunn, Marcum, Billingsly, Hultzen, McCarthy, BJUpton, Beltran, Joyce, Gerrit, Cuddyer, Morneau, Bell, Axford2012 5th:Bundy, Utley, Howard, Peralta, Brian Wilson, Papelbon, Pena, Rivera, Valverde, VWells, Encarnacion, JSanchez, Jurrjens, JoSantana2011 4th:THudson, ASanchez, Soto, ESantana, KSuzuki, AusJackson, CJWilson, Richard, Huff, Cahill, Cuddyer, Loney, Baker, Arroyo2011 5th: Harper (wow, this amazes me), Furcal, Cueto, IStewart, Taillon, Walker, Blanton, CarLee, Napoli, Marmol, Banuelos, Carmona, JoZimmermann, MiMonteroFor ####s and giggles, 2012 1st: Darvish, Pence, Kennedy, GioGonzalez, ESantana, Victorino, Beckett, MYoung, Garza, Konerko, Bourn, Werth, KMorales, BButler

Is that for me, Mac? 14 team league.Good exercise. Headley is only worth a 4th for my team if I'm feelin' Freese and not diggin' Headley. I draft well in this league, and looking back the last 3 years I've gone SP or RP with my four 4th round picks (my hitting lineup is basically filled up by then).2012 4th:Volquez, Dunn, Marcum, Billingsly, Hultzen, McCarthy, BJUpton, Beltran, Joyce, Gerrit, Cuddyer, Morneau, Bell, Axford2012 5th:Bundy, Utley, Howard, Peralta, Brian Wilson, Papelbon, Pena, Rivera, Valverde, VWells, Encarnacion, JSanchez, Jurrjens, JoSantana2011 4th:THudson, ASanchez, Soto, ESantana, KSuzuki, AusJackson, CJWilson, Richard, Huff, Cahill, Cuddyer, Loney, Baker, Arroyo2011 5th: Harper (wow, this amazes me), Furcal, Cueto, IStewart, Taillon, Walker, Blanton, CarLee, Napoli, Marmol, Banuelos, Carmona, JoZimmermann, MiMonteroFor ####s and giggles, 2012 1st: Darvish, Pence, Kennedy, GioGonzalez, ESantana, Victorino, Beckett, MYoung, Garza, Konerko, Bourn, Werth, KMorales, BButler
I would make the trade and keep freese.

I would make the trade and keep freese.
Why? The value of the pick? Freese is taking the next step forward? Headley realistically should regress, certainly won't be a top 5 hitter this year, but can still be top 3 at his position and a top 25 hitter.

If you think Headley is a top 25 hitter, even if he gets traded, very slim chance if any, then you keep him. I don't think he is. I don't think the difference between them is all that much. Crazy because last July I was told I was crazy for suggesting he is better than Alvarez. Eight months later and I am in the same spot but the public tide has completely reversed course.

Users who are viewing this thread