What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 KEEPER HELP (1 Viewer)

'smc0170 said:
I have to keep 10 players for a semi dynasty league. 4 of them are no brainers (Votto, Matt Holliday, Kershaw, Papelbon), but I need help with the other 6. I've narrowed it down to 13 possible keepers. There is no dollar value on players, and we can keep players for as long as we want.Yadier MolinaPedro AlvarezElvis AndrusMichael BournJosh WillinghamMartin PradoCarlos BeltranJames ShieldsJeff SamardzijaLance LynnKyle LohseDan HarenJohn Axford
Elvis AndrusMichael BournJosh WillinghamJames ShieldsJeff SamardzijaLance Lynn

'smc0170 said:
I have to keep 10 players for a semi dynasty league. 4 of them are no brainers (Votto, Matt Holliday, Kershaw, Papelbon), but I need help with the other 6. I've narrowed it down to 13 possible keepers. There is no dollar value on players, and we can keep players for as long as we want.Yadier MolinaPedro AlvarezElvis AndrusMichael BournJosh WillinghamMartin PradoCarlos BeltranJames ShieldsJeff SamardzijaLance LynnKyle LohseDan HarenJohn Axford
Elvis AndrusMichael BournJosh WillinghamJames ShieldsJeff SamardzijaLance Lynn
How doesn't he keep Alvarez?

Pick one: 5X5(ops)A; B GarnderI DesmondB: B GardnerA LaRocheC: M MonteroI DesmonndA LaRocheD: M MonteroDesmond or LaRocheA EatonE:DesmondA LaRocheA EatonS MarteG PerkinsThe above scenarios would be added to another 6 that are already being kept
I go A.
I was all over A/B too, but Ichiro being in NY scares me......If Gardner leads off, he's a must keep.....but he'll lose a crap load of AB's hitting down the order(say 9th)
I think there's a solid chance he leads off this year and Jeter hits 2nd. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Having trouble narrowing down my keepers. Any help would be appreciated. 5x5 Roto (R, RBI, HR, SB, OBP, ERA, Whip, K, W, SV)We play C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF(4), 2 UTL, and 7 Pitchers. 25 man total roster.Everyone gets to keep $18 worth of keepers, Values are determined by round they are drafted and values increase $2 per year kept. Kept players are back loaded at the end of the draft.Here is my roster:Adrian Gonzalez 9Justin Upton 9 Carlos Gonzalez 7 Clayton Kershaw 6 Jay Bruce 5 Carlos Santana 5 David Wright 5 Starlin Castro 4 Jason Heyward 4David Ortiz. 4Mark Reynolds 4 Chase Utley 4 Michael Young 4Ian Kennedy 4 James Shields 4 Chris Carpenter 3 Jeremy Hellickson 3Kenley Jansen 3 Joe Nathan 3 J.J. Putz 3 Gavin Floyd 2Tyler Colvin 1Nate McLouth 1Tim Hudson 1Kris Medlen 1Travis Wood 1Who would you keep?
CarGo 7Wright 5Heyward 4Medlen 1Hudson 1

'smc0170 said:
MolinaAlvarezAndrusBournWillinghamShields

Because Alvarez sucks. He hit .244 with a .317 obp last year and that was a career year.
Guy hit 30 HR's and drove in 85 Runs in his first full season, playing at a very thin position.Besides, our insider said he's going to hit 40 this year easy
I'm also checking our waiver wire, and I see that Will Middlebrooks is available. Would he be a better fit than Alvarez? Is he keepable with my other players?

Re-tooled after a down season last year and swung some deals to stock up.

5x5(obp) H2H

Kept: MCabrera, Prince, McCutchen, Bumgardner

I have 1.01 this year. I'm thinking Heyward is a lock over Hanley here and will replace Bums as keeper 4 next season . Any thoughts on the contrary?

Re-tooled after a down season last year and swung some deals to stock up. 5x5(obp) H2H Kept: MCabrera, Prince, McCutchen, BumgardnerI have 1.01 this year. I'm thinking Heyward is a lock over Hanley here and will replace Bums as keeper 4 next season . Any thoughts on the contrary?
They easily the best two available? Who else is in the mix?

Because Alvarez sucks. He hit .244 with a .317 obp last year and that was a career year.
Guy hit 30 HR's and drove in 85 Runs in his first full season, playing at a very thin position.Besides, our insider said he's going to hit 40 this year easy
I'm also checking our waiver wire, and I see that Will Middlebrooks is available. Would he be a better fit than Alvarez? Is he keepable with my other players?
Much prefer Middlebrooks to Alvarez.

Need to keep 8. 12 teams

5x5 H2H. Start: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF, UTIL, 5SP, 4RP

I've bolded who I'm thinking about keeping right now

Pos - # of starters, Starter, Backup

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

2B - 1, Kipnis, Barney, Profar

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

3B - 1, Lawrie, C. Johnson

OF - 3, Ellsbury, Pence, Heyward, Rios, Morse, Rasmus, De Aza, W. Myers

UTIL - 1, anyone

SP - 5, Cain, Grienke, Halladay, Capuano, Vargas, Harrison, Teheran

RP - 4, Rodney, Lopez, Holland, Frieri, Casilla, Cook

on the fence b/w Halladay and Pence right now. Thoughts.

Halladay over Pence without question. How long can you keep these players for? Myers would be awfully tempting to keep

Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

I think you're keeping the correct 8.

'Tiger Fan said:
'shadyridr said:
Halladay over Pence without question. How long can you keep these players for? Myers would be awfully tempting to keep
Can keep them forever. Based on league chatter, we're likely going to reduce the # of keepers for next year down to 4-5
I might consider myers over lawrie especially now after his injury

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

I wouldnt keep Halladay. His velocity is down again. He's in soft-tossing lefty territory right now. With perpetual keepers, I'd be tempted by both Myers and Profar.

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

I wouldnt keep Halladay. His velocity is down again. He's in soft-tossing lefty territory right now. With perpetual keepers, I'd be tempted by both Myers and Profar.
myers and Profar's ADP are in the 20s...why would I keep them over someone who could get drafted in the 8th round?

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

myers and Profar's ADP are in the 20s...why would I keep them over someone who could get drafted in the 8th round?
is that their adp in a redraft or dynasty?

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

Redraft...but still. Let's say I'm considering b/w Halladay and Will Myers. Myers ADP is 21st round in redraft. Halladay is 8. In what scenario would I keep Myers over Halladay? If I really wanted Myers, I could be aggressive and draft him a few rounds before his ADP

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

Redraft...but still. Let's say I'm considering b/w Halladay and Will Myers. Myers ADP is 21st round in redraft. Halladay is 8. In what scenario would I keep Myers over Halladay? If I really wanted Myers, I could be aggressive and draft him a few rounds before his ADP
If you can keep the guy forever, using redraft ADPs are pretty useless

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

So b/c I can keep him forever, his ADP escalates by 13 rounds?

'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

Probably not, but you're also not going to get him in the "20th", or your 12th. The potential keeper aspect means you draft this guy over all the average arms and bats that get picked in the mid rounds of a redraft. As soon as one comes off the board, I'd set my sights on the other, assuming they are your top 2 high potential young players going back into the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tiger Fan said:
Need to keep 8. 12 teams

C - 1, Napoli, S. Perez

1B - 1, Votto, Napoli

SS - 1, Escobar, Gordon

UTIL - 1, anyone

Probably not, but you're also not going to get him in the "20th", or your 12th. The potential keeper aspect means you draft this guy over all the average arms and bats that get picked in the mid rounds of a redraft. As soon as one comes off the board, I'd set my sights on the other, assuming they are your top 2 high potential young players going back into the draft.
I hear ya. The bolded is good advise.

Just as an example, Tristan Cockcroft of ESPN has Myers rated #70, Profar #95 and Halladay #106 overall in keeper leagues. Something to keep in mind.

Keeper Ranks

Just as an example, Tristan Cockcroft of ESPN has Myers rated #70, Profar #95 and Halladay #106 overall in keeper leagues. Something to keep in mind.

Keeper Ranks
Like I'm going to trust a chick with her rankings :rolleys:S, thanks. I'm much more of a "win now" type of guy, but it's good to see the other perspective

After much reflection, I've decided on a rebuilding year. With other teams fielding keepers like Trout and Harper for the next two years, I'll need a miracle to compete. Better to take my medicine. So here's my six:

Chris Davis

Kyle Seager

Jurickson Profar

Carlos Gomez

Domonic Brown

Jeff Samardjza

Back into the pool: Brandon Morrow (whom I have little confidence in this season anyway), Rafael Betancourt, Mike Minor, Homer Bailey, Adam LaRoche, Adam Dunn. And yeah, I don't like keeping pitchers.

One of the ways to rebuild is thru trade. Morrow, Minor and even Dunn would help u there. Easier to redraft guys like Seager as they won't be in high demand on draft day. Regardless, you'll be able to draft young players. Keep your best assets now and move them later.

Need some perspective. I am in a 12 team H2H points, 4 player keeper league. My keepers right now are Braun, Trout, Harper and Kershaw. Real young and look to be in good shape. Only worry is that I am keeping 3 OFs for my offense. I'm a big fan of Harper and like to watch him play so I am keeping him on my team with Trout for the foreseeable future. Would anyone suggest trying to move Braun either before the draft or early in the season for a different top offensive player who plays IF, like a Votto or Longoria? Only hesitation is that Braun is unbelievable in H2H. Not a bad problem to have but want some input.

Need some perspective. I am in a 12 team H2H points, 4 player keeper league. My keepers right now are Braun, Trout, Harper and Kershaw. Real young and look to be in good shape. Only worry is that I am keeping 3 OFs for my offense. I'm a big fan of Harper and like to watch him play so I am keeping him on my team with Trout for the foreseeable future. Would anyone suggest trying to move Braun either before the draft or early in the season for a different top offensive player who plays IF, like a Votto or Longoria? Only hesitation is that Braun is unbelievable in H2H. Not a bad problem to have but want some input.
No, keep Braun. He's the best player in the league. I'd love to have those keepers.

No, keep Braun. He's the best player in the league. I'd love to have those keepers.
:goodposting:

If I were trading anyone it'd be Bryce...unless you can get the Miggy owner to trade him for Braun.

One of the ways to rebuild is thru trade. Morrow, Minor and even Dunn would help u there. Easier to redraft guys like Seager as they won't be in high demand on draft day. Regardless, you'll be able to draft young players. Keep your best assets now and move them later.
:goodposting: You can't punt the season in a 6 keeper before it starts.

'Annyong said:
'The Flying Elvis said:
Only 2 players I'd consider moving Braun for and you already have one of them. The other is Miggy, but I think I'd rather have Braun.

'MAC_32 said:
:goodposting: You can't punt the season in a 6 keeper before it starts.
I opted to keep Minor over Seager. I won't keep three SPs in this league, and I don't trust Morrow this season. Dunn is such a drain on average he tends to be tough to trade. I tried to deal him last season with no luck. The kind of guys I would get for him halfway through the season would be guys like Brown.This isn't a matter of punting the season. It's one or two keepers. I'll survive.

Need help. Yahoo keeper league.

12 team H2H ( Wins, Hits,ER, K, BB, SV, ERA and Avg HR RBI, Runs SB K Avg)

Start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, DH

Can only keep 10.

Big decisions: Uggla or Scutaro? McCann, Lucroy or Perez at C? Ryan Howard bounceback?

Prince Fielder - (Det - 1B)

Matt Holliday - (StL - LF)

Elvis Andrus - (Tex - SS)

David Ortiz - (Bos - 1B)

Shin-Soo Choo - (Cin - RF)

Ryan Howard - (Phi - 1B)

Dan Uggla - (Atl - 2B)

Brian McCann - (Atl - C)

Salvador Perez - (KC - C)

Mike Moustakas - (KC - 3B)

Angel Pagan - (SF - CF)

Jonathan Lucroy - (Mil - C)

Jason Kubel - (Ari - LF)

Marco Scutaro - (SF - 2B,3B,SS)

Andy Dirks - (Det - LF,RF)

David Price - (TB - SP)

Matt Cain - (SF - SP)

Roy Halladay -(Phi - SP)

Sergio Romo - (SF - RP)

Joel Hanrahan - (Bos - RP)

Casey Janssen - (Tor - RP)

Clay Buchholz - (Bos - SP)

Wandy Rodriguez - (Pit - SP)

Luke Gregerson-(SD - RP)

Tyler Cloyd - (Phi - SP)

Jeff Locke (Pit - SP)

Need help.

12 team H2H ( Wins, ER, K, BB, SV and Avg HR RBI SB K)

Can only keep 10.

Big decisions: Uggla or Scutaro? McCann, Lucroy or Perez at C? Ryan Howard bounceback?

David Ortiz - (Bos - 1B)

Ryan Howard - (Phi - 1B)

Dan Uggla - (Atl - 2B)

Brian McCann - (Atl - C)

Angel Pagan - (SF - CF)

Jason Kubel - (Ari - LF)

David Price - (TB - SP)

Matt Cain - (SF - SP)

Roy Halladay -(Phi - SP)

Sergio Romo - (SF - RP)

Luke Gregerson-(SD - RP)

Tyler Cloyd - (Phi - SP)

Jeff Locke (Pit - SP)
You've got 11 guys bolded.I keep Moustakas over Uggla and Howard, leave the rest the same. That gives you 10.

Need help.

Can only keep 10.

David Ortiz - (Bos - 1B)

Ryan Howard - (Phi - 1B)

Dan Uggla - (Atl - 2B)

Brian McCann - (Atl - C)

Angel Pagan - (SF - CF)

Jason Kubel - (Ari - LF)

David Price - (TB - SP)

Matt Cain - (SF - SP)

Roy Halladay -(Phi - SP)

Sergio Romo - (SF - RP)

Luke Gregerson-(SD - RP)

Tyler Cloyd - (Phi - SP)

Jeff Locke (Pit - SP)
You've got 11 guys bolded.I keep Moustakas over Uggla and Howard, leave the rest the same. That gives you 10.
Thanks. I just noticed the error. I currently don't have Uggla as a keeper.

I looked at Mouse, but I think I'll have a shot at drafting Prado to play 3B.

You don't like Howard as a bounceback candidate this year? I hear he's been tearing it up so far this spring.

Need help.

Can only keep 10.

David Ortiz - (Bos - 1B)

Ryan Howard - (Phi - 1B)

Dan Uggla - (Atl - 2B)

Brian McCann - (Atl - C)

Angel Pagan - (SF - CF)

Jason Kubel - (Ari - LF)

David Price - (TB - SP)

Matt Cain - (SF - SP)

Roy Halladay -(Phi - SP)

Sergio Romo - (SF - RP)

Luke Gregerson-(SD - RP)

Tyler Cloyd - (Phi - SP)

Jeff Locke (Pit - SP)
Thanks. I just noticed the error. I currently don't have Uggla as a keeper.

I looked at Mouse, but I think I'll have a shot at drafting Prado to play 3B.

You don't like Howard as a bounceback candidate this year? I hear he's been tearing it up so far this spring.
You've already got Prince at 1B. I'd prefer the flexibility to go where I want with the U spot in the draft. Plus, Moose is being valued much higher than Howard in the drafts I've seen so far. I'd rather keep the more valuable guy.

Domt keep a closer. Throw back uggla and romo, keep moose
First time I've heard the strategy of not keeping a closer.6 pitching cats (Wins, Saves, ERA, Hits, Walks, K's)..closers have inherent advantages over starters in 4 cats (Saves, ERA, Hits, Walks)Why wouldn't you keep a closer?

Closers are a dime a dozen, you can grab value late in a draft. I would never keep a closer except maybe a guy like kimbrell. I would never keep an injury prone guy like romo

First time I've heard the strategy of not keeping a closer.6 pitching cats (Wins, Saves, ERA, Hits, Walks, K's)..closers have inherent advantages over starters in 4 cats (Saves, ERA, Hits, Walks)Why wouldn't you keep a closer?
Huge turnover in closers each year. Be active on the waiver wire. closers on bad teams gets saves too.

Huge turnover in closers each year. Be active on the waiver wire. closers on bad teams gets saves too.
If Im not getting Kimbrel, Papelbon, Motte or Soriano. Id prefer getting the last 2-3 closers off the board and spending those picks/money elsewhere.

While true, I think Kimbrel may be the except to this rule - as was Mariano before him.

While true, I think Kimbrel may be the except to this rule - as was Mariano before him.
Yeah, tell that to the guy that drafted Mariano last year:thisguy:

Mo is a pitcher, they get injured. Part of the risk of keeping any pitcher.

Mo is a pitcher, they get injured. Part of the risk of keeping any pitcher.
he got hurt shagging fly balls in the outfield

Users who are viewing this thread