What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GnR : Appetite For Destruction (1 Viewer)

Won't get any love, but Korn - Self Titled is one of my favorite albums of all time. simply amazing, and whether you are a fan or not, it really kicked off the era of "nu-metal", for better or for worse.

But, bang on dudes! Oh, and the Lost Boys still rules!
:lol: I like this guy.Really he hints at what has kinda gone unsaid. The reverence here makes it clear this is a board full of 35-45 year old white guys. This album was absolutely huge when we were impressionable teens (or pre-teens). We listened to it thousands of times. Most of us will still love it, but people coming in later are going to be lukewarm on it.I don't see college kids today "discovering" GnR like we did with The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. It can still be fun, but let's not get carried away. :2cents:

I don't see college kids today "discovering" GnR like we did with The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. It can still be fun, but let's not get carried away. :2cents:
Oh there are many thousands of better albums overall... no doubt. It's a tough beat when it comes to the criteria defined here though. There are some that might beat it... but the fact that it's tough to find a better "rock & roll" album that's been released since it speaks volumes.I don't listen to it often, but when I do it's still a great album.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm a minority here, but Blind Melon's first two albums are better than GnR's AfD.

Won't get any love, but Korn - Self Titled is one of my favorite albums of all time. simply amazing, and whether you are a fan or not, it really kicked off the era of "nu-metal", for better or for worse.
korn gets a bad rap because of the dreks that followed them, very good bad that did alot of new stuff with heavy music. Deftones as well. the pioneers of the nu-metal sound if you will

But, bang on dudes!

Oh, and the Lost Boys still rules!
:lol: I like this guy.Really he hints at what has kinda gone unsaid. The reverence here makes it clear this is a board full of 35-45 year old white guys. This album was absolutely huge when we were impressionable teens (or pre-teens). We listened to it thousands of times. Most of us will still love it, but people coming in later are going to be lukewarm on it.

I don't see college kids today "discovering" GnR like we did with The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. It can still be fun, but let's not get carried away. :2cents:
I don't think it is great college music. I think it is better suited for middle school/high school boys. If you don't discover it before college, but have been listening to current music before then, it's not going to hit you the same way. My 15 year old nephew loves it. :shrug:

I know I'm a minority here, but Blind Melon's first two albums are better than GnR's AfD.
I love Blind Melon, but even I am confused as to how they got in to a conversation with regard to rock music. FWIW, "Soup" is very underrated.

Fantastic album but as you said, that's metal. GnR was more hard rock.

I think Thom Yorke had more talent in his pinkie than Rose had in his entire body, but it's a moot point. Comparing RH and GNR is like comparing apples and oranges, they are completely different genres, and don't belong in the same conversation.

While Appetite was a classic album, the breadth of Radiohead's work was far more impressive. WTF did GNR do afterwards?

Appetite might have been a far more popular album, but I'd argue that Love and Sonic Temple by the Cult were better from beginning to end. The Cult are still putting out good to great albums as well. I'd recommend anyone that liked the Cult to check out Astbury and Boris's project BXI
Jesus... as a radiohead fan I'm starting to get embarassed. Why must you nerds get up in arms as soon as anyone gives credit to another muscian other than Thom Yorke? He's brilliant... so are other folks. Axl wasn't brilliant... but GNR rocked harder than anyone in the biz for a good few years. THAT is what this thread is about. You wanna talk about your new Thom Yorke kneepads? Awesome... this aint the thread for it. I've seen both bands live multiple times. Thom Yorke ain't rock and roll. Move along.
More like as a GNR fan I'm starting to get embarrassed. Elvis was rock and roll. You're wrong on this.If you must label genres, which is even more boring than the "sellout" conversation, GNR is hard rock. Rock and roll is a huge umbrella.

I love Blind Melon, but even I am confused as to how they got in to a conversation with regard to rock music. FWIW, "Soup" is very underrated.
Well... since we went with the drug-fueled debaucherous rancor of the band and music, I thought it was an appropriate inclusion.

But, bang on dudes!

Oh, and the Lost Boys still rules!
:lol: I like this guy.Really he hints at what has kinda gone unsaid. The reverence here makes it clear this is a board full of 35-45 year old white guys. This album was absolutely huge when we were impressionable teens (or pre-teens). We listened to it thousands of times. Most of us will still love it, but people coming in later are going to be lukewarm on it.

I don't think it is great college music. I think it is better suited for middle school/high school boys. If you don't discover it before college, but have been listening to current music before then, it's not going to hit you the same way. My 15 year old nephew loves it. :shrug:
Exactly. It's music for adolescent boys. But the chemistry in the performances can still be fun to hear as an adult from time to time. They killed it in the studio.

I just found a used copy of AfD at my local record store. It's a re-issue, and it came with a sleeveless t-shirt. I can't wait for summer to show off my Guns!

Tool's Aenima and 10,000 Days should be in the conversation. Both albums are better lyrically, musically, and artistically.

Can I get a ruling on Mastodon? Their first couple albums were metal, but they've gradually progressed more toward a hard rock sound. Crack the Skye, Blood Mountain, and The Hunter are all great records that are better in my opinion.

Also, put me in the camp that believes no album has topped Appetite since it came out. Part of being a great rock album is moving units and having songs that will live forever. That would allow albums like Nevermind, Elephant, and Hysteria to be considered, but it cancels out Radiohead and other stuff you simply won't hear on classic rock stations.I think Appetite is still a great listen front to back - the only song I skip on the CD version is Sweet Child O Mine.

Tool's Aenima and 10,000 Days should be in the conversation. Both albums are better lyrically, musically, and artistically.

Can I get a ruling on Mastodon? Their first couple albums were metal, but they've gradually progressed more toward a hard rock sound. Crack the Skye, Blood Mountain, and The Hunter are all great records that are better in my opinion.
Blood Mountain is metal. mastodon has several master pieces, however they dont have the mass appeal of GnR, "better" as in better musically and technically. ask me in 10 years If Im still rocking Mastodon as we will see. I think Crack the Skye is kinda their weakest album, IMO

Also, put me in the camp that believes no album has topped Appetite since it came out. Part of being a great rock album is moving units and having songs that will live forever. That would allow albums like Nevermind, Elephant, and Hysteria to be considered, but it cancels out Radiohead and other stuff you simply won't hear on classic rock stations.

I think Appetite is still a great listen front to back - the only song I skip on the CD version is Sweet Child O Mine.
I disagree. The best music is almost always not the most popular stuff. Unless we really think that Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and Nickelback are making the best music out there these days. Of course, that leads to the question: how do we determine the best stuff? And the answer is, there is no way. It is all subjective anyway.

But it's worth pointing out that, for as popular as AFD is, it only has three songs that are extremely well-known to the average person on the street. Hell, even Metallica's Black Album has more well-known songs than that.

Part agree on tool, problem with their albums are the non music tracks. I skip them usually and play the actual music. It makes their albums only eight songs or so but sometimes over an hour of music in that brief album.

I think Thom Yorke had more talent in his pinkie than Rose had in his entire body, but it's a moot point. Comparing RH and GNR is like comparing apples and oranges, they are completely different genres, and don't belong in the same conversation.

While Appetite was a classic album, the breadth of Radiohead's work was far more impressive. WTF did GNR do afterwards?

Appetite might have been a far more popular album, but I'd argue that Love and Sonic Temple by the Cult were better from beginning to end. The Cult are still putting out good to great albums as well. I'd recommend anyone that liked the Cult to check out Astbury and Boris's project BXI
Jesus... as a radiohead fan I'm starting to get embarassed. Why must you nerds get up in arms as soon as anyone gives credit to another muscian other than Thom Yorke? He's brilliant... so are other folks. Axl wasn't brilliant... but GNR rocked harder than anyone in the biz for a good few years. THAT is what this thread is about. You wanna talk about your new Thom Yorke kneepads? Awesome... this aint the thread for it. I've seen both bands live multiple times. Thom Yorke ain't rock and roll. Move along.
:lmao: C'mon, they've barely been used. My main point was that the two bands shouldn't be compared for the sake of this conversation. Clearly, GNR fit the mold much better than RH. I'm not the one holding Yorke's jock. That being said, saying he doesn't know how to rock, well, that's just clearly off-base (The Bends, OK Computer...). He just hasn't done it in a very long time. I think he got a bit bored rocking out a long time ago, and went his own direction. I'm hoping he changes things up again soon as KOL was a pretty weak effort. :nerd:

:lmao: C'mon, they've barely been used. My main point was that the two bands shouldn't be compared for the sake of this conversation. Clearly, GNR fit the mold much better than RH. I'm not the one holding Yorke's jock. That being said, saying he doesn't know how to rock, well, that's just clearly off-base (The Bends, OK Computer...). He just hasn't done it in a very long time. I think he got a bit bored rocking out a long time ago, and went his own direction. I'm hoping he changes things up again soon as KOL was a pretty weak effort. :nerd:
If TKOL was a weak effort then I'm pele. It's an awesome album that gets better with each listen.

I object. Radiohead is not the Thom Yorke Band. Though I pretty sure he did write Codex on KOL, which might be the most beautiful piece of music on any Radiohead record, imo.

Blood Mountain is metal. mastodon has several master pieces, however they dont have the mass appeal of GnR, "better" as in better musically and technically. ask me in 10 years If Im still rocking Mastodon as we will see. I think Crack the Skye is kinda their weakest album, IMO
I would agree that they're probably more metal, but they're quite different than current metal bands. As for Crack the Skye, I think it's their best record, and it is exponentially better than anything GnR could ever come close to producing. :shrug:

Crack the Skye wiki

It was highly regarded amongst critics, and the concepts used to produce the music are mind boggling. It truly is a masterpiece.

Part agree on tool, problem with their albums are the non music tracks. I skip them usually and play the actual music. It makes their albums only eight songs or so but sometimes over an hour of music in that brief album.
Agree especially with 10,000 days, but it's an album meant to be listened to in that manner. As an album. Immerse yourself in it. I almost wish they didn't even have track listings. It should have been one long 76 minute track of amazing musicianship.

So I did a little internet searching of best albums of the 80's while eating my lunch today. Tried to find a site that ranks AFD ahead of the Joshua Tree. Gave up after the 10th website came up dry.I'll disregard all that and go with the thread consensus on this one though.

So I did a little internet searching of best albums of the 80's while eating my lunch today. Tried to find a site that ranks AFD ahead of the Joshua Tree. Gave up after the 10th website came up dry.I'll disregard all that and go with the thread consensus on this one though.
The first result of such a search (pitchfork) has Joshua tree at 30 and sonic youth at #1. You sure you think any other Internet ranking/opinion is better than what you'll find here?

You're right, if the internet says so it must be true.

I object. Radiohead is not the Thom Yorke Band. Though I pretty sure he did write Codex on KOL, which might be the most beautiful piece of music on any Radiohead record, imo.
Codex is a highlight on the album, for sure. It's not a bad album, but compared to their other albums, they have set the bar very high. I liked the 2nd album off of In Rainbows much more than KOL, and that wasn't even released outside of the special vinyl collection. I think How to Disappear Completely might take the cake, as far a moving RH songs. But, this isn't exactly what the thread is about, eh? :highjackover:

Codex is a highlight on the album, for sure. It's not a bad album, but compared to their other albums, they have set the bar very high. I liked the 2nd album off of In Rainbows much more than KOL, and that wasn't even released outside of the special vinyl collection. I think How to Disappear Completely might take the cake, as far a moving RH songs. But, this isn't exactly what the thread is about, eh? :highjackover:
Agreed, on all points. :thumbup: :thumbup: The King of Limbs is to In Rainbows what Amnesiac was to Kid A: a good album, but came off as disappointing thanks to following an utter masterpiece.

The first result of such a search (pitchfork) has Joshua tree at 30 and sonic youth at #1. You sure you think any other Internet ranking/opinion is better than what you'll find here?
Is your point that you don't think Daydream Nation is a better record than the Joshua Tree? Because it's certainly as good.

Agreed, on all points. :thumbup: :thumbup: The King of Limbs is to In Rainbows what Amnesiac was to Kid A: a good album, but came off as disappointing thanks to following an utter masterpiece.
I was underwhelmed when I first listened to The King of Limbs. Thought they went off the deep end. After 100+ listens I realize my original assessment was way off. It is a masterpiece. Right now it's my favorite RH album.

'coyote5 said:
'zoonation said:
wrong. if the FFA says so, it must be true.I'm just saying every site out there, from pitchfork to rollingstone to spin to sites that compress rankings from a bunch of sites all come up JT. Pretty convincing if consensus carries any weight.But, like I said, I'll stick with the collective wisdom of the middle-aged white guy FFA.

'coyote5 said:
'zoonation said:
wrong. if the FFA says so, it must be true.I'm just saying every site out there, from pitchfork to rollingstone to spin to sites that compress rankings from a bunch of sites all come up JT. Pretty convincing if consensus carries any weight.But, like I said, I'll stick with the collective wisdom of the middle-aged white guy FFA.
This is moot. Joshua Tree was released on 3/9/87, 4+ months before Appetite (7/21/87). Therefore, even if it's a better record, it does not fit the criteria of the OP.Also, get off my lawn, kid.

'jdoggydogg said:
'Insein said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'cstu said:
mustaine loved giving it to the guys in slayer because they wore "makeup"
This from the guy that recorded a hair metal version of Anarchy in the UK.
wasnt that motley crue?
Not the version I was mentioning.
The problem you're having is that Megadeth's version is not a punk song. Mustaine delivers the anger of that song better than just about anyone could, including Rotten. I haven't seen them for a long time but it was their encore song in the 90's.

'coyote5 said:
'zoonation said:
This is moot. Joshua Tree was released on 3/9/87, 4+ months before Appetite (7/21/87). Therefore, even if it's a better record, it does not fit the criteria of the OP.Also, get off my lawn, kid.
lol. sure thing old man.why don't you draw yourself a warm bath, pour yourself a glass of milk and practice whistling the intro to patience. you'll get it again. just like you used to...

'coyote5 said:
'zoonation said:
lol. sure thing old man.why don't you draw yourself a warm bath, pour yourself a glass of milk and practice whistling the intro to patience. you'll get it again. just like you used to...
sheeeiiitttt. I may be old but you can stick those suggestions up your ###. I'll pour a cold beer over my head, slug some whiskey, snort a rail and stagedive face-first into the pit while you're still trying to figure out the geography of a place where the streets have no name. :D

'Maude said:
LOL
I'm sure you were LOLing when you had No Rain on repeat while you and your frat brothers were circle jerking each other trying to impress all the vapid Delta Gammas.

'MAC_32 said:
'Grahamburn said:

I love Appetite, but I would rather listen to Tool's album fillers than Paradise City ever again. Damn, I hate that POS song.

'Maude said:
'Abraham said:
'Maude said:
Well... since we went with the drug-fueled debaucherous rancor of the band and music, I thought it was an appropriate inclusion.
Also Shannon was in the don't cry vid

Day for Night by the Tragically Hip is very solid and stands up better IMHO. Obviously isolated to the Canadian/Northern US market, but when I play the Hip for my American friends, they all love it.

Guys, rock is a much broader category than bands that may induce a mosh pit. Rock music has seemingly countless subgenres within it. But U2 and Radiohead (especially the Bends and OK Computer) are most definitely in the "rock" category. GnR is definitely more hard rock than U2 and Radiohead, but all 3 are absolutely within the "Rock" genre. If you want to break this out to "name a better hard rock album since Appetite, then you are right, U2 and Radiohead do not belong in the conversation.
Yes. I SPECIFICALLY clarified "ROCK AND ROLL" (as in the rough around the edges, drug addled, falling apart at any moment genre)....and went on to clarify it as "Straight-Out Rock albums". Yes, if you want to narrow down "Greatest Rock Album" and include everything they file under Rock at Tower Records (which is 70% of all music released) then sure... but that's NOT what this thread is about and I wish the art rock nerds would quit sissying this place up.
The Beatles are widely known/considered the best rock and roll band of all time. So they are considered Rock and Roll, but a band like U2 isn't? Rock and Roll is an even broader category than Rock. Rock is a subcategory of rock and roll. The term "Rock" music, came from Rock and Roll. U2 is both a rock and roll and a rock band, same with GnR. If you want to say GnR is hard rock and U2 isn't, I would agree.

Offshoot of the Chinese Conspiracy thread....

Tough not to consider Appetite as one of the best Straight-Out Rock albums ever released.

Has there been an overall superior Rock album released since Appetite?

Song for song....total package. Not saying there hasn't been... just curious what others' thoughts were on this.

Discuss
Then and now, I take And Justice For All over Appetite For Destruction, but I am extremely biased. That said, I can't deny the widespread impact AFD had, guys and chicks were into Guns...not so much for Metallica back then. Guns was all over MTV and the radio...Metallica had the one video and pretty much no radio back then...at least where I was...sometimes on the college radio station. Justice was Metallica's Back in Black...lost a major peice of the band and still delivered. Blackened

And Justice for All

Eye of the Beholder

One

The Shortest Straw

Harvest of Sorrow

The Frayed Ends of Sanity

To Live Is To Die

Dyers Eve

That track listing rocks, IMO. Maybe it doesn't count versus AFD cause it's "thrash" but that was the point back then...to out-rock anything else. :headbang:

Take Metallica out of the discussion though and it's hard for me to come up with an album since that is better as a "Straight-Out Rock" album...and I'm not even a huge Guns and Roses fan. In fact, my favorite song of theirs isn't on that album...Civil War holds that distinction. From AFD I always really like Mr. Brownstone. Add me to those who like Blind Melon more than GnR....although I would agree AFD "out rocked" anything Blind Melon did.

If you must label genres, which is even more boring than the "sellout" conversation, GNR is hard rock. Rock and roll is a huge umbrella.
Which is why I've/we've clarified a dozen times in this thread we're not talking about the genre as defined by websters... but the 'mindset/spririt/style" that has been outlined numerous times in the thread. For example... Elvis, to my knowledge, hasn't released anything after AFD. :lmao:Instead of trying to change the rules and debate semantics... how about just playing the game based on the rules as they're outlined? Wanna start a thread based on the broader more generic "rock and roll" description... have at it buddy.

I guess it wouldn't be the FFA if the special kids weren't in here arguing the semantics behind the rules. ME: Name a better American Football Kicker Than Seabass. FFA: Beckham. ME: I said american football. FFA: Well...generally speaking football applies more to what we refer to as soccer...and it IS played in american in the same form. So I submit that Beckham plays american footballME: ####

Offshoot of the Chinese Conspiracy thread....

Tough not to consider Appetite as one of the best Straight-Out Rock albums ever released.

Has there been an overall superior Rock album released since Appetite?

Song for song....total package. Not saying there hasn't been... just curious what others' thoughts were on this.

Discuss
Then and now, I take And Justice For All over Appetite For Destruction, but I am extremely biased. That said, I can't deny the widespread impact AFD had, guys and chicks were into Guns...not so much for Metallica back then. Guns was all over MTV and the radio...Metallica had the one video and pretty much no radio back then...at least where I was...sometimes on the college radio station. Justice was Metallica's Back in Black...lost a major peice of the band and still delivered. Blackened

And Justice for All

Eye of the Beholder

One

The Shortest Straw

Harvest of Sorrow

The Frayed Ends of Sanity

To Live Is To Die

Dyers Eve

That track listing rocks, IMO. Maybe it doesn't count versus AFD cause it's "thrash" but that was the point back then...to out-rock anything else. :headbang:

Take Metallica out of the discussion though and it's hard for me to come up with an album since that is better as a "Straight-Out Rock" album...and I'm not even a huge Guns and Roses fan. In fact, my favorite song of theirs isn't on that album...Civil War holds that distinction. From AFD I always really like Mr. Brownstone. Add me to those who like Blind Melon more than GnR....although I would agree AFD "out rocked" anything Blind Melon did.
Reading Comprehension Olympics:FFTODAY 1 : FFA 0

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread