What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 ACC Basketball [Closed - use 2015 thread instead] (1 Viewer)

I thought he got some huge contract? I thought there was some backstory since some of the show got fired mysteriously. Hayseed and some other dude. We used to go on his southern fried tour when it was open for listeners. All you had to do was come with 2 tickets and you got an RV ride to the game, free food and free Carolina Blonde beer. We made it to the NCSU/FSU game and then the NCSU/UVA game. That #### was unreal. Packer was like a rock star at those things with his big golf cart.If it indeed was about money then 610 screwed up because the talent after him when I was there was horrendous.

I thought he got some huge contract? I thought there was some backstory since some of the show got fired mysteriously. Hayseed and some other dude. We used to go on his southern fried tour when it was open for listeners. All you had to do was come with 2 tickets and you got an RV ride to the game, free food and free Carolina Blonde beer. We made it to the NCSU/FSU game and then the NCSU/UVA game. That #### was unreal. Packer was like a rock star at those things with his big golf cart.If it indeed was about money then 610 screwed up because the talent after him when I was there was horrendous.
Hayseed moved to a sister station (1660) because of a promotion. I remember him mentioning early in 2010 that it was a contract year, but then he didn't mention it again. I went out of the country for a couple months for work, came back around T-Giving and they had random guys filling in, which I thought was a little odd, but figured he was just using his vacation or something (not that uncommon for him). Then, beginning of the year Taylor Zarzour and toolbox Marc James were on. Completely took me by surprise.

Hayseed moved to a sister station (1660) because of a promotion. I remember him mentioning early in 2010 that it was a contract year, but then he didn't mention it again. I went out of the country for a couple months for work, came back around T-Giving and they had random guys filling in, which I thought was a little odd, but figured he was just using his vacation or something (not that uncommon for him). Then, beginning of the year Taylor Zarzour and toolbox Marc James were on. Completely took me by surprise.
Packer wanted too much money for the revenue he was bringing in. Simple business decision. I thought his show grew rather stale towards the last couple of years.Actually we're better off now. At that time 610 was the only game in town. Now we got something on the dial arond 720 and something in the 1600's. Three options to chose from. I enjoy the national shows like Cowherd and Rome over the locals, especially outside of football season.

Just got around to watching the end of that Kansas/Iowa State game... and another instance of ref incompetence. Is there any other sport, professionally or amateur, in which the officials have as much of an impact on games?

Just got around to watching the end of that Kansas/Iowa State game... and another instance of ref incompetence. Is there any other sport, professionally or amateur, in which the officials have as much of an impact on games?
No, and it's starting to get to the point where something needs to be done. The same 50-60 guys cannot be allowed to work seemingly every high-profile game in a season, and the NCAA has to mandate training, evaluation, and year-to-year benchmark performance standards for its officials.The parallel I think about is the almost instant, univerrsal outcry in the NFL when the replacement zebras blew that call to cost Green Bay the game in Week Three or whatever it was this past season. Unfortunately, college basketball fandom is fractured along team and conference lines, so it's difficult to get a consensus on anything, and even by the standards of sports journalism, the college basketball media is almost comically incompetent, so there's no pressure being exerted there. It's a relatively easy fix, but I'm not sure what it's going to take to provide the needed activation energy.

That is one of the worst examples of bad officiating I've ever seen, and it could cost Iowa State a spot in the NCAA tournament... their RPI is currently #53.

'Worm said:
Sportscenter just showed the MGM as having Miami as 5:1 favorites to win the title.
Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. They're good, but that's not nearly enough incentive to bet on a team that's never been there before, doesn't have an elite go-to guy and has a history of let downs when they aren't playing a team from the state of north carolina. If you truly believe in them, you're better off waiting until after the Duke game. Their odds can't get any less enticing (they're not going to move them to something silly like 3-1) and they'll probably drop to at least 8-1 or even 10-1 if they lose at Cameron.

No, and it's starting to get to the point where something needs to be done. The same 50-60 guys cannot be allowed to work seemingly every high-profile game in a season, and the NCAA has to mandate training, evaluation, and year-to-year benchmark performance standards for its officials.The parallel I think about is the almost instant, univerrsal outcry in the NFL when the replacement zebras blew that call to cost Green Bay the game in Week Three or whatever it was this past season. Unfortunately, college basketball fandom is fractured along team and conference lines, so it's difficult to get a consensus on anything, and even by the standards of sports journalism, the college basketball media is almost comically incompetent, so there's no pressure being exerted there. It's a relatively easy fix, but I'm not sure what it's going to take to provide the needed activation energy.
I may have to revoke my Maryland fandom card for saying this, but I want Jay Bilas to take over college hoops (hell, all college sports) and disband the NCAA. I don't even agree with all of his stances, but his ideas to fix things (like the way the games are officiated) are miles better than what we have today.

I may have to revoke my Maryland fandom card for saying this, but I want Jay Bilas to take over college hoops (hell, all college sports) and disband the NCAA. I don't even agree with all of his stances, but his ideas to fix things (like the way the games are officiated) are miles better than what we have today.
I get why everyone hates the NCAA. But I've never heard anyone suggest who replaces the NCAA. Does it become a wild free for all even moreso than it already is? Are there no more rules?

I get why everyone hates the NCAA. But I've never heard anyone suggest who replaces the NCAA. Does it become a wild free for all even moreso than it already is? Are there no more rules?
My "disband the NCAA" was tongue-in-cheek but it needs to be broken and rebuilt.

My "disband the NCAA" was tongue-in-cheek but it needs to be broken and rebuilt.
I don't disagree at all but they are only part of the problem. Bilas loves to ##### about everything wrong with the NCAA but he's never offered any workable solutions that I've heard.I'd rather them clean up all the cheating (and in the process cut the recruiting rulebook in half or even more).The other thing I wish they would clean up is remove the power that some coaches have. For example, would love to see a basketball rule where coaches are automatically T'd up for saying anything to official other than asking for clarification on something. I know some coaches view "working the refs" as part of their genius coaching abilities but that working the refs is one of the things that has slowly ruined the officiating, IMO. Officials know what coaches have the ability to affect their careers.

I don't disagree at all but they are only part of the problem. Bilas loves to ##### about everything wrong with the NCAA but he's never offered any workable solutions that I've heard.I'd rather them clean up all the cheating (and in the process cut the recruiting rulebook in half or even more).The other thing I wish they would clean up is remove the power that some coaches have. For example, would love to see a basketball rule where coaches are automatically T'd up for saying anything to official other than asking for clarification on something. I know some coaches view "working the refs" as part of their genius coaching abilities but that working the refs is one of the things that has slowly ruined the officiating, IMO. Officials know what coaches have the ability to affect their careers.
The funniest part is that cussing and railing the refs during the game is ok, but say one word in the post game press conference and it's HUGE FINES!!1!1!

Last edited by a moderator:
The "cheating" is the whole problem with the NCAA. For the most part it's only cheating because the NCAA says so. And when you give them that power ... well, you see the results.The solution I would favor, and I suspect the solution Bilas would favor, would be to drastically reduce what the NCAA does. Get rid of 99% of its enforcement efforts. You want to pay your players? Go for it. You want to have a team full of kids that can't do the schoolwork? Sure. Let the schools regulate themselves. They're supposed to be academic institutions first and foremost- those that choose not to be will suffer accordingly from an academic standpoint. All the NCAA does is organize competitions between the schools. Basically what the conferences do now on a larger scale. I know the conferences have some by-laws as well, and maybe the NCAA would keep some very basic eligibility requirements beyond just being enrolled at the school, but what they're doing now is ridiculous.

The "cheating" is the whole problem with the NCAA. For the most part it's only cheating because the NCAA says so. And when you give them that power ... well, you see the results.The solution I would favor, and I suspect the solution Bilas would favor, would be to drastically reduce what the NCAA does. Get rid of 99% of its enforcement efforts. You want to pay your players? Go for it. You want to have a team full of kids that can't do the schoolwork? Sure. Let the schools regulate themselves. They're supposed to be academic institutions first and foremost- those that choose not to be will suffer accordingly from an academic standpoint. All the NCAA does is organize competitions between the schools. Basically what the conferences do now on a larger scale. I know the conferences have some by-laws as well, and maybe the NCAA would keep some very basic eligibility requirements beyond just being enrolled at the school, but what they're doing now is ridiculous.
Ugh

Ugh
:shrug:You asked the question.I can't speak for Bilas, and if I had to guess I'd say he probably would propose something less extreme than what I would propose, but I know he's talking about the same basic thing that I am, because he's said so. He harps on the details of their inconsistencies and errors, but what's behind it all is the idea that the whole foundation is garbage. Here he is saying he's opposed to the idea of NCAA eligibility. He directs people to the Taylor Branch NCAA evisceration quite a bit. And we know he's in favor of allowing schools to pay players.

Ugh
:shrug:You asked the question.I can't speak for Bilas, and if I had to guess I'd say he probably would propose something less extreme than what I would propose, but I know he's talking about the same basic thing that I am, because he's said so. He harps on the details of their inconsistencies and errors, but what's behind it all is the idea that the whole foundation is garbage. Here he is saying he's opposed to the idea of NCAA eligibility. He directs people to the Taylor Branch NCAA evisceration quite a bit. And we know he's in favor of allowing schools to pay players.
Bilas' argument is two fold:1. A lot of NCAA rules are dumb and examples of the NCAA clearly overstepping their bounds.2. The NCAA doesn't penalize consistently.I agree with him on both points. For a long time I've said get rid of the NCAA all together. That's not because I think everything they do is wrong, but I do believe they've sufficiently screwed the pooch enough that anything labeled "NCAA" will be immediately thought of as a joke. In reality, they could easily get rid of a lot of their dumb rules and over extension and their inconsistent enforcement of their rules and things would be better.

Ugh
Bilas' argument is two fold:1. A lot of NCAA rules are dumb and examples of the NCAA clearly overstepping their bounds.2. The NCAA doesn't penalize consistently.I agree with him on both points. For a long time I've said get rid of the NCAA all together. That's not because I think everything they do is wrong, but I do believe they've sufficiently screwed the pooch enough that anything labeled "NCAA" will be immediately thought of as a joke. In reality, they could easily get rid of a lot of their dumb rules and over extension and their inconsistent enforcement of their rules and things would be better.
I think most would agree there are too many rules and too many bad rules. No one can even argue the inconsistency either. I want them to find a middle ground between those things and allowing the wild wild west too. If we're going to pay players and eliminate rules then I assume we eliminate the scholarship limit rule too and then a dozen powers go back to having 125 players each and everyone else becomes irrelevant.

The "cheating" is the whole problem with the NCAA. For the most part it's only cheating because the NCAA says so. And when you give them that power ... well, you see the results.

The solution I would favor, and I suspect the solution Bilas would favor, would be to drastically reduce what the NCAA does. Get rid of 99% of its enforcement efforts. You want to pay your players? Go for it. You want to have a team full of kids that can't do the schoolwork? Sure. Let the schools regulate themselves. They're supposed to be academic institutions first and foremost- those that choose not to be will suffer accordingly from an academic standpoint. All the NCAA does is organize competitions between the schools. Basically what the conferences do now on a larger scale. I know the conferences have some by-laws as well, and maybe the NCAA would keep some very basic eligibility requirements beyond just being enrolled at the school, but what they're doing now is ridiculous.
Ugh
:shrug: You asked the question.

I can't speak for Bilas, and if I had to guess I'd say he probably would propose something less extreme than what I would propose, but I know he's talking about the same basic thing that I am, because he's said so. He harps on the details of their inconsistencies and errors, but what's behind it all is the idea that the whole foundation is garbage. Here he is saying he's opposed to the idea of NCAA eligibility. He directs people to the Taylor Branch NCAA evisceration quite a bit. And we know he's in favor of allowing schools to pay players.
Bilas' argument is two fold:1. A lot of NCAA rules are dumb and examples of the NCAA clearly overstepping their bounds.

2. The NCAA doesn't penalize consistently.

I agree with him on both points. For a long time I've said get rid of the NCAA all together. That's not because I think everything they do is wrong, but I do believe they've sufficiently screwed the pooch enough that anything labeled "NCAA" will be immediately thought of as a joke. In reality, they could easily get rid of a lot of their dumb rules and over extension and their inconsistent enforcement of their rules and things would be better.
I think most would agree there are too many rules and too many bad rules. No one can even argue the inconsistency either. I want them to find a middle ground between those things and allowing the wild wild west too. If we're going to pay players and eliminate rules then I assume we eliminate the scholarship limit rule too and then a dozen powers go back to having 125 players each and everyone else becomes irrelevant.
I'm not opposed to limiting that stuff, but I think we'd be better off it we treated things like player pay and scholarship limits and revenue sharing as parity measures for the long-term health of the sport, they way pro leagues do. The problem with the NCAA is that they justify it all from a moral standpoint, which is just silly.

Bilas seems better suited to just criticize from a distance. I'm not sure he is the man to actually fix everything. But I will disagree with the person who said that Bilas hasn't provided anything to fix the problem. He often talks about what he would do. I guess we can get into practicality of his solutions but he has offered solutions. He does seem to jump around a bit, I think at first one of his main points was to let players of any sport earn money outside the school, a la a Missy Franklin getting an advertising deal but not losing her eligibility. Or if a professional wants to play like Kanter, he is allowed. Not to mention, getting rid of the rule where a recruit could always have bagels but it was illegal to offer cream cheese.As far as referees, I think his proposition is full time referees. I'm not sure if they'd work the same amount of games but I personally think that is the hardest part. But Bilas just throws stuff to the wall and sees what sticks.

Bilas seems better suited to just criticize from a distance. I'm not sure he is the man to actually fix everything. But I will disagree with the person who said that Bilas hasn't provided anything to fix the problem. He often talks about what he would do. I guess we can get into practicality of his solutions but he has offered solutions. He does seem to jump around a bit, I think at first one of his main points was to let players of any sport earn money outside the school, a la a Missy Franklin getting an advertising deal but not losing her eligibility. Or if a professional wants to play like Kanter, he is allowed. Not to mention, getting rid of the rule where a recruit could always have bagels but it was illegal to offer cream cheese.As far as referees, I think his proposition is full time referees. I'm not sure if they'd work the same amount of games but I personally think that is the hardest part. But Bilas just throws stuff to the wall and sees what sticks.
Maybe, but he's one of the few who actually says ANYTHING in regards to fixing some of the problems. As I said, I don't always agree with him but at least he thinks about these things.

I'm getting ready to head to the game. Only one more home game left after this one, and that's against Wake. Go State! :wolf:

That is one of the worst examples of bad officiating I've ever seen, and it could cost Iowa State a spot in the NCAA tournament... their RPI is currently #53.
The "best" part of the whole sequence is the Iowa State guy getting called for a reach in foul as he's laying on the floor with the Kansas guy who just ran him over on top of him.

'Uruk-Hai said:
'sporthenry said:
Maybe, but he's one of the few who actually says ANYTHING in regards to fixing some of the problems. As I said, I don't always agree with him but at least he thinks about these things.
No I agree, I enjoy the fact that he actually talks about it, that is why I think his position currently might be more useful to influence change. I'd like to see him brought in by the NCAA as a consultant but if he became President, we'd also miss out on his witty tweets. Apparently his newest thing he was talking about was using college basketball as a D-league type thing where I assume the guys get paid something by the NBA and play in college. I guess the concern might be the NBA pushing these guys to certain schools but if they commit in high school and then get drafted, it might work. I know the NHL uses a similar system where drafted guys get to stay in school.

Missed most of the first half, but Maryland... blech. Road game for the Terps, especially following a win at home? Must mean they'll play like crap.

BC has a scrappy team this year. I think they could make the jump next year. They aren't as slow as UVA and it is their defense which is holding them back but Hanlan looks to be a player. Anderson is good although he isn't playing as well (perhaps defenses keying in on him). Assuming Hanlan takes another step forward and if they can get consistency out of Jackson and Rahon, they should be in the NCAA picture next year.

Missed most of the first half, but Maryland... blech. Road game for the Terps, especially following a win at home? Must mean they'll play like crap.
Nail, meet coffin
My big question from here is... Is the problem the talent? The coaching? Simple inexperience? Something else? It seems like there's a lot of talent on this team, but they don't play to the level of which they're capable nearly enough. Even ignoring the freshmen, Len, Wells, and Faust are all clear talents at this level. Why isn't their production better? Is it simply the lack of a quality point guard?

No more posting for me. :zip:BC 8-0 run.
Thankfully you stopped, and State won. You went to the State vs VT game, right? Did you notice how young the players look in person? I've always noticed how much younger they look when you see them play live vs seeing them on television.

Thankfully you stopped, and State won. You went to the State vs VT game, right? Did you notice how young the players look in person? I've always noticed how much younger they look when you see them play live vs seeing them on television.
Heh... I didn't really notice. I was too busy biting all my fingernails off.

:lol: The big snowflakes were pretty that day...if you noticed ... :P

Who is going to be in Greensboro for the ACCT?A few FBG's are getting together Friday night and maybe Saturday for a mini-cornhole in Greensboro (not related to the ACCT, just coincidence that it's that weekend). I think Genedoc is the only one who is an ACC bball thread guy that is coming, though he doesn't post much anymore. I will buy a frosty beverage for anyone here who is around and wants to meet up.

:lol: The big snowflakes were pretty that day...if you noticed ... :P
Yeah, it was a blizzard driving in, had me worried we'd be stuck in town for Snowmageddon '13.

Unusual fact I learned last night - Virginia has not played on Saturday at the ACC Tourney since 1995. Every other team has made the semifinals at least once since 2006. That's just some back luck - and part of the reason that my UVa friends are really starting to get excited for tonight and the tourney this year. They think they can at least play on Saturday.It also tells me if you're looking to scalp, stalk the UVa fans.

I was looking at profiles and Maryland actually isn't dead and UVA is probably more on the bubble than people think. Here are the two profiles.Team A: RPI 67, SOS 128, Non-Conf SOS 297, RPI Top 25: 2-2, 26-50: 1-0, 51-100: 3-0, 101-200: 7-5, 201+: 6-1Team B: RPI 72, SOS 110, Non-Conf SOS 298, RPI Top 25: 1-3, 26-50: 1-1, 51-100: 1-3, 101-200: 9-2, 201+: 7-0I'll probably give it away with Team A has won the head-to-head match-up. But certainly the last head to head match-up will be huge and either could play themselves into the NCAAT.

I was looking at profiles and Maryland actually isn't dead and UVA is probably more on the bubble than people think. Here are the two profiles.Team A: RPI 67, SOS 128, Non-Conf SOS 297, RPI Top 25: 2-2, 26-50: 1-0, 51-100: 3-0, 101-200: 7-5, 201+: 6-1Team B: RPI 72, SOS 110, Non-Conf SOS 298, RPI Top 25: 1-3, 26-50: 1-1, 51-100: 1-3, 101-200: 9-2, 201+: 7-0I'll probably give it away with Team A has won the head-to-head match-up. But certainly the last head to head match-up will be huge and either could play themselves into the NCAAT.
I hope you're right, but the Terps' resume just doesn't look like a tourney team's to me. Maybe I'm too close to see it clearly, though.

I hope you're right, but the Terps' resume just doesn't look like a tourney team's to me. Maybe I'm too close to see it clearly, though.
The good news is that the group of teams that currently make up "the bubble" just aren't very good. The bad news is neither is Maryland's resume. Dancecard has them at team #60 with a just over 3% chance to make it in, with the bubble line at #50. So, they still have work to do.UVA is barely in at #49. Eta - with a RPI on dancecard of 73, they are have the worst RPI of the 'in' schools, by 18 (St. John's with 55).

Users who are viewing this thread