What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty QB Stashes... (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
Although the recent trend is for rookie QBs to start first year, a good dynasty owner (especially in 2 QB leagues) needs to have young backups on their radar that should get a chance to start. Guys like Rogers, Romo, and Brady were not highly touted QBs prior to their opportunities to start.

Who are some guys you have on your radar? I have Ossweiler and Mallet in different leagues where QB is a premium.

Yeah, Osweiler is top of my dynasty stash list.

Kirk Cousins is also a good option. While his route now is blocked by RG3, he showed enough last year and will continue to show enough to earn a trade at some point in the future and I think he is starter material.

Osweiler and Glennon are atop my list of guys who can be had cheap or are under the radar but worth stashing. I've got both in various dynasty leagues.

I like TJ Yates as a cheap guy. He looked decent when in limited time and Shaub is getting old.

I usually try to break it down to guys that have long term value from a trade or finding a starting job in FA and those who would have value if an injury occurred midseason. My categories can overlap and I exclude rookies because they tend to go higher based on the unknown factor.

AFC East:

Ryan Mallett is an easy one. He has value for the future and in case of a Brady injury.

Bills, Dolphins and Jets have absolutely no one of interest outside of the rookies. Tannehill has become a hot commodity lately.

AFC North:

I had hopes for Josh Johnson at one point, but have come to realize I was probably the only one. Brian Hoyer still carries a little intrigue and there's not much in his way if he can hang on the Browns roster. He was already jettisoned by the Cardinals though, so he's likely worthless. Tyrod Taylor would likely be a starting QB in 2QB leagues if something ever happened to Flacco. Likewise Landry Jones for Pitt.

AFC South:

TJ Yates headlines this group, which doesn't say much. Hasselbeck would be a stopgap in case of Luck injury and Fitzpatrick would be worse. The Henne/Gabbert competition will likely produce no winners, but it's tough to have less value than Gabbert has at the moment.

AFC West:

At one point Whitehurst headlined the list of stash QBs. Not sure Pryor will ever get a shot, but he'd produce for no other reason than his ability to run. Osweiler is very tempting to roster both for potential and immediate production in case of a Peyton injury. At one point Daniel and Stanzi had their supporters. Now I wonder if Bray has the best chance of the KC backups to one day make an impact.

NFC East:

Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins are both intriguing options to hold. Both have shown production when thrown into a starting role and it was rumored that the Chiefs were sniffing after Foles. Nassib is a long term hold and Orton is pretty close to worthless long term, but could likely sniff top-12 numbers in case of a Romo injury.

NFC North:

I'm not sure how good Graham Harrell is, but GB backups have gone on to produce and if Rodgers ever went down I wouldn't say no to Harrell. Josh McCown is old and bad, while Matt Cassel is Josh McCown with no mobility. Shaun Hill will never be brought in as a starter, but he's produced when Stafford has gone down.

NFC South:

The post-Brees QB isn't on the Saints roster, but both Luke McCown and Wallace have had decent production in spot starts. One of them likely won't make the team. Glennon doesn't impress me, but has his supporters, while Clausen has lost most of his. The Falcons have a collection of quarterbacks most have never heard of. Sean Renfree probably has the most potential, but I'd be hesitant to start him even if Ryan went down.

NFC West:

Seahawks, Rams and Niners like to believe they have their quarterbacks for the next decade already on the roster. Of the three, the Rams situation is likely the one most likely to change, but I doubt Austin Davis is any better than Bradford. Colt McCoy and Brady Quinn are known commodities and we know they stink. Drew Stanton had a decent performance for the Lions back in 2010 and Palmer has to be one of the odds on favorites to miss time this year, but the long term potential is poor.

Top 10 for long term stashing, ignoring the 3 rookies with a good shot at starting this year (Manuel, Smith, Wilson):

1) Osweiler

2) Foles

3) Mallet

4) Cousins

5) Harrell

6) Taylor

7) Nassib

8) Glennon

9) Yates

10) Bray

Top-10 for possible 2013 production:

1) Foles

2) Hill

3) Osweiler

4) Harrell

5) Mallet

6) Cousins

7) Orton

8) Taylor

9) Stanton

10) Yates

Last edited by a moderator:
I like TJ Yates as a cheap guy. He looked decent when in limited time and Shaub is getting old.
I've stashed yates and osweiler.I will look to get Ryan Griffin, mostly because I have Brees.
I think if Brees goes down the Saints will turn to the "winner" of the McCown/Wallace competition. I don't think Griffin will ever see a non-emergency start.

Top 10 for long term stashing, ignoring the 3 rookies with a good shot at starting this year (Manuel, Smith, Wilson): 1) Osweiler2) Foles3) Mallet4) Cousins
Those are the four I've been banging the table for this offseason. I think they're a clear cut above the rest of the current crop of backups.

I am a bit surprised by the overwhelming osweiller love. I'm not certain a person could say right. Now today that in a year or two that the guy the broncos just drafted might not be better than him. If nothing else, I think it bears paying attention that the broncos drafted dysert in a year where it was the general consensus that the best of the qb was weak in what is expected in the next few year, so why draft a guy that is in the lower portion of a weak class right now if there isn't something intriguing about him to them? Why not wait and get a guy next year? Personally, just my gut says I think that Elway has a true appreciation for the type of QB rothlisberger is and he has drawn the comparisons to dysert and likes it. OR...maybe they have been watching osweiller for a year now and said "hmmm...maybe we need another guy in here...just because". I don't know the reasons, obviously, but it does seem a bit unusually enough to make you notice.

I am a bit surprised by the overwhelming osweiller love. I'm not certain a person could say right. Now today that in a year or two that the guy the broncos just drafted might not be better than him. If nothing else, I think it bears paying attention that the broncos drafted dysert in a year where it was the general consensus that the best of the qb was weak in what is expected in the next few year, so why draft a guy that is in the lower portion of a weak class right now if there isn't something intriguing about him to them? Why not wait and get a guy next year? Personally, just my gut says I think that Elway has a true appreciation for the type of QB rothlisberger is and he has drawn the comparisons to dysert and likes it. OR...maybe they have been watching osweiller for a year now and said "hmmm...maybe we need another guy in here...just because". I don't know the reasons, obviously, but it does seem a bit unusually enough to make you notice.
Broncos Have 4 QB's rostered right now, Manning, Osweiler and then a couple rookies. They were going to have a third-string/emergency QB either way. I think this is a vote of confidence in Osweiler moving forward. If the Broncos didn't think he would be able to fill in, they would be more likely to bring in a seasoned veteran instead of a seventh round pick and an UDFA.

As for the Osweiler love, he was a second round pick who has a chance to learn from one of the all-time greats, the team feels comfortable with Osweiler being the only other active QB on game days and could have easily been a first round pick in 2013. He was drafted as a long-term project and has great size and arm strength. Nothing has happened to change that perception.

Good thread. There are a few that could see the field early than the others.

1) Yates - Schaub is a statue and has struggled with injury. I also could see the Texans making a change if Schaub struggles.

2) Wilson - Flynn could get an early hook if the team fails to win.

3) Glennon - Not sure if the coach is 100% behind Freeman

4) Daniels - He is a darkhorse. It more about my lack of confidence in Alex Smith than my belief in Daniels.

None of the QB's in this thread are even worth a roster spot IMO. (maybe, and it's a stretch, in a 2 QB league)

How has no one mentioned the only rookie that will actually be starting? EJ Manuel is probably the only QB I would draft from this class. Doubt he does well this year, but he has fantastic physical traits.

Oz will be a career backup in denver.

Osweiler

Foles

Stanzi

Matt Scott

Glennon

Nassib

Kolb

Josh Johnson

Yates

Hill and Kellen Moore.

Trying to go deep. No order and I'm not saying any of these guys are superstars. For various reasons they are just guys I thought could at least be backups in the nfl or had boom/bust upside when I was making a watchlist in my deepest league. Foles, Kolb, Scott, Stanzi and Oswieler are the only guy I've ever rostered here thinking they would see the field at one time or another.

Yates is in full battle with Case keenum for the back-up job in Houston. if I am reading OTA reports correctly, both have improved quite a bit, but neither has truly established that he is the better man, nor consistently looks like a guy you want starting regualrly in the NFL.

Elway has said that he believes if Osweiler was in the 2013 draft, he would have been a 1st rounder, and possibly the top Quarterback in the entire class. I don't get the thinking that a team might prefer a guy who they took at the very end of the 7th round to a guy they think would have been a solid first rounder. Is it rare for a team to spend a 7th rounder on a developmental QB so soon after committing a 2nd rounder to one? No, not really- teams spend 7th rounders on QBs all the time. The Niners and Falcons both took a QB in the 7th round, too, though I think they're actually pretty comfortable with the guy they already have under center. In 2012, the Packers took a 7th round QB, and the Colts burned a 7th rounder on a QB despite spending the #1 overall on Andrew Luck. That same draft, Washington spent a 4th on Cousins after spending a fortune to land Griffin. The Patriots have grabbed several 7th round QBs during Brady's career. Ditto that for the Packers and Rodgers.

If I'm placing bets, I'm betting big money on Dysert having as much impact for the Broncos as Tom Brandstater (6th rounder in 2009), Matt Mauck and Bradlee Van Pelt (7th rounders in 2004), Jarious Jackson (7th rounder in 2000), Jeff Lewis (5th rounder in 1996), Shawn Moore (10th rounder in 1991), Todd Ellis (8th rounder in 1990), or Buddy Funck (9th rounder in 1985). Best case scenario, maybe he's the next Gary Kubiak (8th rounder in 1983).

I don't think the love for Osweiler is hard to understand. He was a high draft pick in a very strong QB class, he gets to learn his craft from two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and his team's current receiving corps is Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, and Eric Decker. There's a ton of upside there. You might have to sit on him for a while, of course, but the potential reward is huge.

Yates is in full battle with Case keenum for the back-up job in Houston. if I am reading OTA reports correctly, both have improved quite a bit, but neither has truly established that he is the better man, nor consistently looks like a guy you want starting regualrly in the NFL.
(on the play of the quarterbacks today compared to Tuesday’s practice) “They were better today. They struggled a little bit yesterday, especially in some seven-on-seven stuff, but that’s part of it, and come back today and were pretty darn good today. I actually let (QBs) T.J. (Yates) and Case (Keenum) split the team portion of practice today with the first group and held (QB) Matt (Schaub) out. I wanted to see those guys operate with our ones, and both of them, I thought, had a pretty good practice.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Texans-OTAs-Day-5/391ad7c5-2485-408d-8615-01275b5d2cb3

None of the QB's in this thread are even worth a roster spot IMO. (maybe, and it's a stretch, in a 2 QB league)

How has no one mentioned the only rookie that will actually be starting? EJ Manuel is probably the only QB I would draft from this class. Doubt he does well this year, but he has fantastic physical traits.

I think it's crazy to suggest that no backup QB in the NFL today is worth being rostered. If we were making a list of backups worth rostering this time last year, it would have included Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. In other years, it might have included Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. Looking at the top 20 fantasy QBs of the last decade, 17 of the 20 began their careers as backups (Brees, Brady, Eli, Roeth, Palmer, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Favre, Rivers, Romo, Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Bulger, Delhomme), with the exceptions being Peyton, Ryan, and Flacco. Looking at the top 20 QBs in points per game gets us a few more week 1 starters, but it also gives us five guys in the top 20 (Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Warner, Romo) who were scheduled to be a backup QB on opening day for at least two years before getting the starting job. Those guys hold five league MVP trophies between them.

I think odds are very high that at least one guy who is currently a backup quarterback will wind up having a monstrous fantasy career. I would much rather roster a high-upside backup like Osweiler or Mallet than a known mediocrity like Carson Palmer.

Elway has said that he believes if Osweiler was in the 2013 draft, he would have been a 1st rounder, and possibly the top Quarterback in the entire class. I don't get the thinking that a team might prefer a guy who they took at the very end of the 7th round to a guy they think would have been a solid first rounder. Is it rare for a team to spend a 7th rounder on a developmental QB so soon after committing a 2nd rounder to one? No, not really- teams spend 7th rounders on QBs all the time. The Niners and Falcons both took a QB in the 7th round, too, though I think they're actually pretty comfortable with the guy they already have under center. In 2012, the Packers took a 7th round QB, and the Colts burned a 7th rounder on a QB despite spending the #1 overall on Andrew Luck. That same draft, Washington spent a 4th on Cousins after spending a fortune to land Griffin. The Patriots have grabbed several 7th round QBs during Brady's career. Ditto that for the Packers and Rodgers.

If I'm placing bets, I'm betting big money on Dysert having as much impact for the Broncos as Tom Brandstater (6th rounder in 2009), Matt Mauck and Bradlee Van Pelt (7th rounders in 2004), Jarious Jackson (7th rounder in 2000), Jeff Lewis (5th rounder in 1996), Shawn Moore (10th rounder in 1991), Todd Ellis (8th rounder in 1990), or Buddy Funck (9th rounder in 1985). Best case scenario, maybe he's the next Gary Kubiak (8th rounder in 1983).

I don't think the love for Osweiler is hard to understand. He was a high draft pick in a very strong QB class, he gets to learn his craft from two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and his team's current receiving corps is Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, and Eric Decker. There's a ton of upside there. You might have to sit on him for a while, of course, but the potential reward is huge.
I agree completely. The Dysert and Big Ben comparisons are way off. He was solid for a small school prospect but not a next level talent.

I think it's crazy to suggest that no backup QB in the NFL today is worth being rostered. If we were making a list of backups worth rostering this time last year, it would have included Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. In other years, it might have included Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. Looking at the top 20 fantasy QBs of the last decade, 17 of the 20 began their careers as backups (Brees, Brady, Eli, Roeth, Palmer, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Favre, Rivers, Romo, Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Bulger, Delhomme), with the exceptions being Peyton, Ryan, and Flacco. Looking at the top 20 QBs in points per game gets us a few more week 1 starters, but it also gives us five guys in the top 20 (Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Warner, Romo) who were scheduled to be a backup QB on opening day for at least two years before getting the starting job. Those guys hold five league MVP trophies between them.

I think odds are very high that at least one guy who is currently a backup quarterback will wind up having a monstrous fantasy career. I would much rather roster a high-upside backup like Osweiler or Mallet than a known mediocrity like Carson Palmer.
Virtually all the guys you listed were high draft picks and were being groomed. Sorry I just don't see any of the current backups in the league being worth a damn. One or two may eventually turn into a bye week replacement type guy, but that's it. QB depth in the league is just ridiculously poor right now.

Virtually all the guys you listed were high draft picks and were being groomed. Sorry I just don't see any of the current backups in the league being worth a damn. One or two may eventually turn into a bye week replacement type guy, but that's it. QB depth in the league is just ridiculously poor right now.
You last sentence is the reason for the thread. There's not too many chances for NFL teams to get at a elite QB.

Same guy as last year. Sam Bradford. Even with stock up, still ranked low enough that he'd be my guy.

Digging deeper, I'd say Mark Sanchez in his next stop. Team and the player need a fresh start.

Shot in the dark would probably be Bray in KC.

With all this talk about how teams (and often good teams) draft qbs all the time in late rounds, and sometimes multiple qbs in the same draft, I just find it funny that the Cowboys have drafted THREE QBs since 1990, the best of which was Quincy Carter.

Probably have to hope for a Manning injury or early retirement for Osweiler to be of use.

Osweiler is signed through 2015

Peyton is signed through 2016

Would have to hold and stash for 3 years (2013-2015) and then hope he is re-signed.to a multi-year deal. Thomas (2014), Decker (2013), and Welker (2014) contracts all need to be renewed before Osweilers as well.

Probably best to let him take up another owner's roster spot for a few years.

None of the QB's in this thread are even worth a roster spot IMO. (maybe, and it's a stretch, in a 2 QB league) How has no one mentioned the only rookie that will actually be starting? EJ Manuel is probably the only QB I would draft from this class. Doubt he does well this year, but he has fantastic physical traits. Oz will be a career backup in denver.
EJ Manuel good one. But he was the #2 player off the board in my rookie draft so I don't think he's really a stash. Geno went #9 and Wilson like 13th. I am not sure you can stash any of those guys in 2qb leagues. I like Foles and Mallet to get chances within the next year or two. I think Yates could do something. I also like Nassib as a deep stash. Things change quickly in the NFL. I think he has the talent to do something if he gets into the game.Terrell Pryor is only 23. He is working hard to make himself better and he has a chance, albeit slim.

Almost every single QB listed in this thread is, and should, be rostered in 2QB leagues.

Almost every single QB listed in this thread is, and should, be rostered in 2QB leagues.
Not to mention the title is stashes suggesting backups worth a shot. Not all dynasty leagues have only 18 man rosters.

Another guy I was just looking at was Jimmy Claussen. I was never very high on him personally but he is still young and I am guessing nearing the end of his rookie deal. He was a round 2 pick. I'm just not sure I believe in his talent.

Probably have to hope for a Manning injury or early retirement for Osweiler to be of use.

Would have to hold and stash for 3 years (2013-2015) and then hope he is re-signed.to a multi-year deal. Thomas (2014), Decker (2013), and Welker (2014) contracts all need to be renewed before Osweilers as well.

Depending on the size of your roster, it doesn't make a lot of sense rostering Osweiler, or any of these guys really, at least at the beginning of the season. If you really believe in any of these guys, my advice is to wait until the last couple weeks of the waiver wire, and then snatch them up going into the offseason. This way you don't clog up your roster all season, and don't let any owners know that he's on your radar. You run the risk of another owner, who is also sold on the guy, swooping in and taking him, but it's just not worth the level of flexibility it costs you on the waiver wire. If you pick up Osweiler on the very last week of the season, then Manning surprisingly retires, kaching! If Manning comes back, at least you didn't waste a roster spot all season.

How I have available QBs rated in my 19 Player dynasty league:

1 Manuel

2 Smith

3 Osweiler

4 Wilson

5 Flynn

6 Cousins

7 Mallett

8 Glennon

9 Barkley

10 Henne

11 Hoyer

12 Yates

Osweiler is definitely a long-term play, but he has a couple of avenues to relevance. There's a Manning injury or retirement, but it's also possible that he leaves Denver (either through trade or free agency), at which point he would surely generate plenty of interest around the league. Either way, while it'll probably be a while before we're gaining value from him, it won't be that long before we're gaining information from him- even if Manning keeps the job locked down, we'll probably get plenty of glimpses of him in mop-up duty and preseason. I'll expose players to the wire from time to time if I need the room on my roster, but it's dangerous to leave him exposed for an entire season, because there's no telling when he might come in and pull a Matt Flynn. And even if you let another owner roster him and two years from now he's still an unknown, it's not like you can just swoop in and get him cheap- if the other owner's been holding him for two years, he's not going to give him up cheap just before Osweiler finally gets a starting job. If you believe in him and you've got the roster space, might as well carry him, especially over some of the low-ceiling mediocrities who always wind up rostered just because they currently have a starting job. In a league with 18 roster spots, Osweiler's not worth considering. In a league with 24 or 26 or more, though? Yeah, I think he's a very solid 3rd stringer, especially if you acquire an aging Peyton Manning as your QB1 as a hedge.

A lot of those guys were high draft picks being groomed, yes. Brock Osweiler is a high draft pick being groomed. Mallett and Foles were both 3rd rounders who were presumably drafted to eventually take over for an aging starter. I'm not advocating grabbing every backup in the league, I'm advocating some of the guys who have solid pedigree and who seem to have positive buzz around the league (KC tried to trade for Foles, Mallett will probably get a starting job on the open market, Osweiler was drafted and has been spoken about as the heir apparent). Throw in Cousins, who was a slightly later pick, but who seems to be well-regarded around the league and who has some great game film (similar to a young Matt Schaub in Atlanta), and I think there are four backups in the league who are reasonable fits for the profile of the breakout star QB.And, again, if this conversation had played out a year ago, everyone would be talking about Colin Kaepernick the exact same way. He was a 2nd round NFL pick, but because he was a backup, he was an afterthought. I got him as a free agent in most of my leagues. I even felt comfortable enough to expose him to the waiver wire for a week during byes if I needed the roster spot. Nobody in my leagues thought he was even worth owning, and now he's a consensus top-10 dynasty QB. As I said, I think the odds are exceptionally high that there's a backup in the NFL right this very moment who few people even consider worth owning, but who will become a consensus top-10 dynasty QB in the next couple of years. My money is one one or two from the Osweiler/Mallett/Foles/Cousins foursome. Maybe it's someone slightly more off the radar, like a Graham Harrell or a Chase Daniels or a Colt McCoy. Maybe it's a complete and total shocker, like a Jimmy Clausen or a Dennis Dixon. The idea that the 32 men who currently hold starting jobs in the NFL are the only ones who have a shot at fantasy stardom, though, is an idea that has repeatedly been proven wrong throughout history.

I'm certainly biased, because I've made an absolute killing in the backup QB market over the years. Yes, speculation will certainly leave you wasting roster spots on your share of Sage Rosenfelses, Chad Hennes, Billy Voleks, Charlie Whitehursts, and Joe Webbs. That's an inevitability- most of the backups you roster are going to be worthless and a complete waste of whatever capital you spent to acquire and hold them, not least of which is the roster spot you devoted to them. On other occasions, drafting backups will yield very modest returns that at least let you break even- think of your Matt Flynns and your Kevin Kolbs. Sometimes, though, drafting and holding backup QBs will yield an absolute grand-slam of value. I've mentioned Colin Kaepernick, and if Kaepernick was the only hit I'd had when trolling among the backups, his value today alone would have recouped all of my investments over the years and then some... but Kaepernick was far from the only hit. I owned Michael Vick in 75% of my leagues in 2010 when he was the most valuable player in all of fantasy football. I owned Aaron Rodgers in 33% of of my leagues in 2008. I started dynasty in 2007, but was in keeper leagues prior to that, and was in a position where I was keeping Matt Schaub and Philip Rivers for 20th round draft picks because I'd had the foresight to draft and hold them a year early.

Success stories like these aren't the norm- maybe 75-80% of the backup QBs you roster are going to return bupkis- but they're common enough, and each individual success is so hugely valuable that it easily offsets a half dozen failures. And over the past two decades, drafting highly-regarded backups has been a much more fruitful strategy than drafting lightly-regarded starters- it's been several times more likely to yield a perennial top-12 fantasy QB. So once the top 20-25 QBs are off the board, and your choices are between a talented backup or a guy like Christian Ponder or Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb or Blaine Gabbert- a guy who has a starting job, but who we are pretty sure isn't all that good- the backup is more likely to yield dividends. In a 12-team league, unless each team only rosters 2 QBs, these top backups absolutely should be rostered. They might not be, but they should be.

Roughly half of those guys were taken later than Oz was.

OP here

To the posters who don't think these guys are worth consideration - it all depends on the league. In a 2QB dynasty you have to consider the top 5 possible future starters at QB as roster-able. If that's not your league, or you are stacked with talent, great. But the list of backups that have gone on to be starters and valuable FF contributors is too large to not consider putting some of these guys on your team.

:goodposting:

While TJ Yates is an interesting prospect, you will have to wait 2 years for his deal to be up. Schaub is only 31 despite what some have said in this thread. If you can wait, more power to you.

I agree completely. The Dysert and Big Ben comparisons are way off. He was solid for a small school prospect but not a next level talent.
Same old story. You guys put so much weight in where a guy was drafted instead of what they were on the field against their competition. That's why the fantasy draft gurus very seldomly ever get a true out of nowhere player pick right, never being that guy that says "I'm telling you guys, you want to stash this victor Cruz guy on you roster late in the draft". But to each their own. Btw, for the response that says dysert was a solid guy from a small school but the comparisons are way off..., you may want to understand that dysert and Ben played at the same school and dysert actually broke every significant record Ben held to that point. That stuff isn't proof in a vacuum but it doesn't hurt. But the thing that means the most to me is Gil Brandt validated the comparison and said he thinks he can be very close to what Ben is. That's more credibility than anything any of us here are going to be able to offer up so its good enough for me. So if everyone loves osweiler, so be it. Like I said, I think the love is out of place but some of you guys treat it like a second round qb has never failed to live up to the hype before. By your reasoning I guess broom should be the starting qb in Oakland by now, huh? After all he was a high pick and everyone loved him when he came out. Guess he couldn't be in Oakland though since the first rounder Jamarcus Russell was there. I see the dilemma.

Same old story. You guys put so much weight in where a guy was drafted instead of what they were on the field against their competition. That's why the fantasy draft gurus very seldomly ever get a true out of nowhere player pick right, never being that guy that says "I'm telling you guys, you want to stash this victor Cruz guy on you roster late in the draft". But to each their own. Btw, for the response that says dysert was a solid guy from a small school but the comparisons are way off..., you may want to understand that dysert and Ben played at the same school and dysert actually broke every significant record Ben held to that point. That stuff isn't proof in a vacuum but it doesn't hurt. But the thing that means the most to me is Gil Brandt validated the comparison and said he thinks he can be very close to what Ben is. That's more credibility than anything any of us here are going to be able to offer up so its good enough for me. So if everyone loves osweiler, so be it. Like I said, I think the love is out of place but some of you guys treat it like a second round qb has never failed to live up to the hype before. By your reasoning I guess broom should be the starting qb in Oakland by now, huh? After all he was a high pick and everyone loved him when he came out. Guess he couldn't be in Oakland though since the first rounder Jamarcus Russell was there. I see the dilemma.
We all understand that he could bust. That isn't the question. But the risk/reward is decent at a low cost.

Wow. Didn't know the Denver backup QB situation would be such a hot topic.

If Manning went down this year, Ossweiler would start. I don't know if he or Dysert is going to be a better pro than him or not, but Brock has been there longer, was drafted higher, and by all accounts Denver has been very happy with his development. So I think it's very reasonable in the short term to prefer taking a flier on him.

None of the QB's in this thread are even worth a roster spot IMO. (maybe, and it's a stretch, in a 2 QB league) How has no one mentioned the only rookie that will actually be starting? EJ Manuel is probably the only QB I would draft from this class. Doubt he does well this year, but he has fantastic physical traits. Oz will be a career backup in denver.
Yep. All owned in my 12-teamer except for rookies. Draft will likely go smith Manuel Wilson. Yates might be out there.

Same old story. You guys put so much weight in where a guy was drafted instead of what they were on the field against their competition. That's why the fantasy draft gurus very seldomly ever get a true out of nowhere player pick right, never being that guy that says "I'm telling you guys, you want to stash this victor Cruz guy on you roster late in the draft".But to each their own. Btw, for the response that says dysert was a solid guy from a small school but the comparisons are way off..., you may want to understand that dysert and Ben played at the same school and dysert actually broke every significant record Ben held to that point. That stuff isn't proof in a vacuum but it doesn't hurt. But the thing that means the most to me is Gil Brandt validated the comparison and said he thinks he can be very close to what Ben is. That's more credibility than anything any of us here are going to be able to offer up so its good enough for me. So if everyone loves osweiler, so be it. Like I said, I think the love is out of place but some of you guys treat it like a second round qb has never failed to live up to the hype before. By your reasoning I guess broom should be the starting qb in Oakland by now, huh? After all he was a high pick and everyone loved him when he came out. Guess he couldn't be in Oakland though since the first rounder Jamarcus Russell was there. I see the dilemma.
I don't think draft position is everything, but as a rule, I'm extremely bearish on ALL seventh rounders unless and until they give me compelling reason to be otherwise. The success rate of second round QBs is really bad. The success rate of 7th rounders is apocalyptic. It's catastrophic. It's a rounding error. Here's a list of all QBs taken in the 2nd round over the past decade: Brock Osweiler, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Jimmy Clausen, Pat White, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson. Like I said, a really bad success rate. Here's the list of 7th rounders over that span: B.J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish, Greg McElroy, Levi Brown, Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson, Matt Flynn, Alex Brink, Tyler Thigpen, D.J. Shockley, James Kilian, Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, John Navarre, Cody Pickett, Casey Bramlet, Matt Mauck, B.J. Symons, Bradlee Van Pelt, Gibran Hamdan, Ken Dorsey. The list pretty much speaks for itself, no additional commentary required.

Even if the 7th rounders and the 2nd rounders were identical talents, the 2nd rounders still have a massive advantage. They typically have more guaranteed money in their contracts, which makes teams more leery of cutting them. They have a much larger sunk cost, which means a team will give them more chances to succeed to justify the expense. Even if Osweiler and Dysert were both perfectly exactly equally as promising as prospects (and nothing at all in Denver's actions leads us to believe that the Broncos feel that way for a second), Dysert is far more likely to be stashed on the practice squad or cut. Dysert is far less likely to see game action. He'll get far fewer reps playing with the ones (or even playing with the twos), he'll get far fewer opportunities to face starters in preseason, he'll be far more likely to lose his job if there's a roster crunch at another position. Even if Dysert was an equal prospect to the guy John Elway said would have been the #1 QB in this entire draft, his position with the team would still be much more tenuous.

I understand that not all seventh rounders fail, and sometimes the guy saying "this seventh rounder is the next big thing!" will prove correct. At the end of the day, I can play the odds and go to bed content that, while I'm going to be wrong sometimes, I'll get enough right in the long run to make up for it.

Edit: I was looking it up, and the best 7th round QB at least since the merger is... Gus Frerotte. By a pretty wide margin. Second best comes down to a heated competition between Cassel and Fitzpatrick. I understand that every player is different. The fact that most 6th rounders are busts certainly didn't stop Tom Brady. I'm just saying, the history of 7th round QBs is really, really atrocious. I don't have any interest whatsoever in burning a roster spot on Dysert until he gives me a very compelling reason to change my mind.

Well Denard Robinson is the next Tom Brady if its that simple. Dysert threw 368 more passes than big Ben in his career. He also threw less TD and more INT's while he was at it. So the record breaking stats are very misleading and not that impressive. Ben dominated and lead his team to a bowl game his final season. Him and Leftwich put on a show in the MAC that year. Dysert's draft position means nothing to me in regards of his talent. It does say a thing or two about his opportunity because coaches and GM's have egos. His size and live arm is worth a look in the NFL as a developmental project. It could take 3-4 years for him to make a impact, and that might not even lead to nothing radical. He will be the next BJ Coleman, physically and mechanically look like NFL QB's. Either can excel on the next level and ultimately forgotten.

I would bet on dysert before osweiler.
Why? Newest toy?
Osweiler is an all tools, no product prospect. The only thing he has going for him is draft pedigree, meaning they will give him rope. Dysert has the tools to be a starter and doesn't have any glaring issues in his game. I like his head and think he will develop a solid approach. Ultimately, I'd bet the future starter for Denver isn't on the team right now, but if I'm betting Dysert or Osweiler I'm taking Dysert. Won't roster now though, don't need to.

Users who are viewing this thread