What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty QB Stashes... (1 Viewer)

Nick Foles was cut recently in our rookie draft so I scooped him up. He'll get a chance to start some games within the next two seasons I think. Not sure if it will be in Philly or somewhere else but I believe it'll happen.

Dominique Davis is very interesting to me - the Falcons are in a championship window, and at least for the time being they seem to be comfortable with the 2nd year UDFA as their backup QB. He came out as a somewhat raw prospect, but with excellent all around athleticism and arm strength. Davis and Matt Ryan knew each other from their time together at BC, so that could be part of why they trust him. He looked good in camp and preseason last year, and there seems to be a lot of good buzz around him.

I am not a big fan of Graham Harrell as a dynasty stash.
I agree, and as I understand it GB is hoping 2012 7th rounder Coleman shows enough this preseason to replace him as #2.
Yeah I would easily roster Coleman before Harrell in a deep dynasty league, and he could definitely see his value take a big leap with a good summer. GB backup QBs have a way of getting opportunities to start (and sometimes even success) after they leave.

From footballguys.com email...

DEN - Osweiler making improvements

Source: Cecil Lammey - ESPNDenver.com and Footballguys.com

Denver Broncos second-year QB Brock Osweiler has made improvements to his game this offseason. Osweiler is showing great arm strength, athleticism, better footwork and improved arm mechanics.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Osweiler is an important prospect for dynasty owners. He's getting groomed as the Broncos QB of the future behind Peyton Manning. Osweiler has a big arm and some in the scouting community compared him to a raw version of Ben Roethlisberger. He's the clear cut backup behind Manning in 2013 and seventh-round pick Zac Dysert (Miami, OH) is no threat to that position.

Rotoworld:

Dominique Davis remains on track to win the Falcons' No. 2 quarterback job.
During last year's preseason, Davis stirred up some buzz by going 33-of-56 for 402 yards with three touchdowns against three interceptions. This offseason, the Falcons let Luke McCown go and only added seventh-rounder Sean Renfree and undrafted free agent Seth Doege. Matt Ryan has only missed two games in his five-year career, but they're putting a lot of faith in Davis right now.

Source: atlantafalcons.com

Tyler Wilson.
This. By a landslide. Added bonus that he may, in fact, start the year.
As of right now, I'd say Wilson has seen the biggest fall of any of the guys mentioned in the thread. Flynn has reportedly all but cemented himself as the starter for the season. Pryor seems to be firmly entrenched as a backup and will almost certainly make the team to help with practice against the read-option and the pistol. McGloin has now been listed as the third string quarterback.

Of the guys I had previously listed, Osweiler and Mallett seem to be showing improvement, but are in no position to start. Foles is in a battle with Vick to start. Seems like they are neck-and-neck. Cousins is going to get a lot of work in the preseason and depending on RG3 may or may not get a regular season start or two.

Manuel looks guaranteed to get starts this year, if not start week 1. Smith isn't overly impressive, but may start week 1 because of the ineptitude that is Mark Sanchez. As incredible as it sounds, Wilson may be headed to the practice squad if McGloin is clearly the better option as backup/QB 3, but it will probably be easier to get McGloin to the PS than Wilson so that may factor into the Raider's decision. I can't imagine they would carry 4.

Tyler Wilson.
As of right now, I'd say Wilson has seen the biggest fall of any of the guys mentioned in the thread. Flynn has reportedly all but cemented himself as the starter for the season. Pryor seems to be firmly entrenched as a backup and will almost certainly make the team to help with practice against the read-option and the pistol. McGloin has now been listed as the third string quarterback.

Of the guys I had previously listed, Osweiler and Mallett seem to be showing improvement, but are in no position to start. Foles is in a battle with Vick to start. Seems like they are neck-and-neck. Cousins is going to get a lot of work in the preseason and depending on RG3 may or may not get a regular season start or two.

Manuel looks guaranteed to get starts this year, if not start week 1. Smith isn't overly impressive, but may start week 1 because of the ineptitude that is Mark Sanchez. As incredible as it sounds, Wilson may be headed to the practice squad if McGloin is clearly the better option as backup/QB 3, but it will probably be easier to get McGloin to the PS than Wilson so that may factor into the Raider's decision. I can't imagine they would carry 4.
:goodposting:

Reports on Wilson all sound like a guy totally overwhelmed. EJM seemed to be looking like a W1 starter even before the Kolb injury.

Interesting.

Glennon already second string with TB not wanting to discuss contract renewal with Freeman until after the year is over.

cobalt_27 said:
Gawain said:
Tyler Wilson.

:goodposting:

Reports on Wilson all sound like a guy totally overwhelmed. EJM seemed to be looking like a W1 starter even before the Kolb injury.

Interesting.
I tried to call that one. Tyler Wilson is joke. I can't believe so many had him as their top QB

cobalt_27 said:
Gawain said:
Tyler Wilson.

:goodposting: Reports on Wilson all sound like a guy totally overwhelmed. EJM seemed to be looking like a W1 starter even before the Kolb injury.

Interesting.
I tried to call that one. Tyler Wilson is joke. I can't believe so many had him as their top QB #97
I trusted Matt Waldman's word on this, his #1 ranked QB in the draft.

:shrug:

I tried to call that one. Tyler Wilson is joke. I can't believe so many had him as their top QB #97

If I listened to Matt Waldman I'd be rolling with Cedric Peerman as my #1 RB. This is the same guy who compared Ryan Mathews to Adrian Peterson. Not to hijack, but I don't put a lot of weight in Waldman's opinion, too many swings and misses, although I do appreciate that he goes out on a limb from time to time.

I tried to call that one. Tyler Wilson is joke. I can't believe so many had him as their top QB

I trusted Matt Waldman's word on this, his #1 ranked QB in the draft. :shrug:
If I listened to Matt Waldman I'd be rolling with Cedric Peerman as my #1 RB. This is the same guy who compared Ryan Mathews to Adrian Peterson. Not to hijack, but I don't put a lot of weight in Waldman's opinion, too many swings and misses, although I do appreciate that he goes out on a limb from time to time.
I love him for his transparency but I was done after Blaine Gabbert.

Even NFL professionals with their job on the line can't get it right. I pay more attention to his analysis than his final rankings though. He's usually a good judge of a player's on field play in college but his predictions about how the player's skills will translate to the NFL is off sometimes.

My money's on Ryan Mallet in 2015
If Mallet plays well in the preseason he'll be on another team next year.
This is an intriguing belief. At some point the backup to Brady, Manning, Brees has to have a chance to start for those teams, right? Maybe not next year, but unless you believe those teams will tank for a guy like Luck the year after the old QB retires.

This is an intriguing belief. At some point the backup to Brady, Manning, Brees has to have a chance to start for those teams, right? Maybe not next year, but unless you believe those teams will tank for a guy like Luck the year after the old QB retires.
Well, that's the idea. Unfortunately if the guy does really well in preseason and if he fills in at any point in the regular season and does well, his market value will increase and they probably won't be able to keep him unless they pay him big bucks to sit on the bench.

Also, the sell high strategy that is popular in fantasy works in real football as well. If you can get a good draft pick or something of value for your backup QB, might not be a bad idea to take it.

Well, that's the idea. Unfortunately if the guy does really well in preseason and if he fills in at any point in the regular season and does well, his market value will increase and they probably won't be able to keep him unless they pay him big bucks to sit on the bench.

Also, the sell high strategy that is popular in fantasy works in real football as well. If you can get a good draft pick or something of value for your backup QB, might not be a bad idea to take it.
Yes, but if they are playing really well, you could end up with the Aaron Rodgers after Brett Favre dynastic approach. Montana to Young. I know these guys still have multiple years in their contract, but if Mallet shows tremendous promise, wouldn't Belichek want him to start for 10 years, not just get a couple draft picks? This is the QB position where a franchise guy could make your team competitive for a decade.

Even NFL professionals with their job on the line can't get it right. I pay more attention to his analysis than his final rankings though. He's usually a good judge of a player's on field play in college but his predictions about how the player's skills will translate to the NFL is off sometimes.
Leave aside the rankings, his analysis of Wilson was pretty glowing.

This happens with all scouts, missing studs, propping up duds. Not an indictment on Waldman. But, if you compared his rankings against garden variety rankings, I doubt his success rate is any better. He writes a lot of words that can provide context, but at the end of the day, I think for every player he convinces you to take earlier in a startup draft and he hits, I imagine you'll also be convinced to over-invest in an equal number of players that miss.

Here in Denver the hype on Osweiler is through the roof. I was planning on taking him with the 25th overall pick in a 12 team 19 player roster dynasty league, but now I'm wondering if he'll last that long.

Shanahanigans said:
cobalt_27 said:
ShaHBucks said:

I have learned to take the stuff on the Audible as entertainment more than anything else. Love the show but bottom line is you always have to do your own research and make your own calls. At least that way you can live with your hits and misses and not someone else's.

Remember GarJo? That combined with the Delone Carter hype did it for me. Occam's razor rules the day for the most part in FF.

I would bet on dysert before osweiler.
Why? Newest toy?
Osweiler is an all tools, no product prospect. The only thing he has going for him is draft pedigree, meaning they will give him rope. Dysert has the tools to be a starter and doesn't have any glaring issues in his game. I like his head and think he will develop a solid approach. Ultimately, I'd bet the future starter for Denver isn't on the team right now, but if I'm betting Dysert or Osweiler I'm taking Dysert. Won't roster now though, don't need to.
John Elway has championed Oswelier all off season and training camp saying he had him ranked higher than anyone in this past draft class at the position. Every word he's said about him has been nothing short of glowing.

According to the broncos beat writers he's looked great on the field, and appears to be the clear heir to the throne in Denver.

I don't think anyone has mentioned him, but I'm buying on Bray. He's already passed up Stanzi. He can make throws Smith and Chase wouldn't even attempt. He's got all of the physical skills. If his head is on straight, I think he's the future in KC. If anyone can fix him, it's Andy Reid.

I don't think anyone has mentioned him, but I'm buying on Bray. He's already passed up Stanzi. He can make throws Smith and Chase wouldn't even attempt. He's got all of the physical skills. If his head is on straight, I think he's the future in KC. If anyone can fix him, it's Andy Reid.
Bray is horrible. I don't think he will beat out Stanzi.

Shanahanigans said:
cobalt_27 said:
ShaHBucks said:

I have learned to take the stuff on the Audible as entertainment more than anything else. Love the show but bottom line is you always have to do your own research and make your own calls. At least that way you can live with your hits and misses and not someone else's.

Remember GarJo? That combined with the Delone Carter hype did it for me. Occam's razor rules the day for the most part in FF.
lol Carter had some lower body injuries. That's not fair.

Tyler Wilson.

its not looking good for Wilson, a yr or 2 on the nench should do him some good

cobalt_27 said:
cstu said:
ShaHBucks said:
Shanahanigans said:
cobalt_27 said:
ShaHBucks said:

Leave aside the rankings, his analysis of Wilson was pretty glowing.

This happens with all scouts, missing studs, propping up duds. Not an indictment on Waldman. But, if you compared his rankings against garden variety rankings, I doubt his success rate is any better. He writes a lot of words that can provide context, but at the end of the day, I think for every player he convinces you to take earlier in a startup draft and he hits, I imagine you'll also be convinced to over-invest in an equal number of players that miss.
I think they prop duds a lot because if they get lucky and hit a couple their credibility goes thru the roof while most of thier misses are forgotten.

anyone with information about the Houston situation? Yates had a few games with Schaub and they spoke well of him. Hearing some chatter about how Yates is getting a run for his money by Keenum(?) this offseason. Could be a dynasty play here to monitor.

anyone with information about the Houston situation? Yates had a few games with Schaub and they spoke well of him. Hearing some chatter about how Yates is getting a run for his money by Keenum(?) this offseason. Could be a dynasty play here to monitor.
The people I trust who have seen practice live think Yates has not progressed much from when we saw him play real games and that keenum is closing in if not passing him, but neither looks like a an NFL starter.

False. Bray is now #3 behind Daniels and Smith. Love his arm. Gets a chance to learn under Smith.

Good thread. There are a few that could see the field early than the others.

1) Yates - Schaub is a statue and has struggled with injury. I also could see the Texans making a change if Schaub struggles.

2) Wilson - Flynn could get an early hook if the team fails to win.

3) Glennon - Not sure if the coach is 100% behind Freeman

4) Daniels - He is a darkhorse. It more about my lack of confidence in Alex Smith than my belief in Daniels.
Yates took 4th-quarter snaps tonight. Anyone have thoughts on him going forward? Will they bench Schaub or was that just a wake-up call?

False. Bray is now #3 behind Daniels and Smith. Love his arm. Gets a chance to learn under Smith.
I understand what you mean, but do you really want him learning behind Smith if he has a great arm?

I agree with this. Nassib is another I have stashed as an Eli owner. I think there's a real possibility Eli has a new address next season.

Good thread. There are a few that could see the field early than the others.

1) Yates - Schaub is a statue and has struggled with injury. I also could see the Texans making a change if Schaub struggles.

2) Wilson - Flynn could get an early hook if the team fails to win.

3) Glennon - Not sure if the coach is 100% behind Freeman

4) Daniels - He is a darkhorse. It more about my lack of confidence in Alex Smith than my belief in Daniels.
Yates took 4th-quarter snaps tonight. Anyone have thoughts on him going forward? Will they bench Schaub or was that just a wake-up call?
Yates is not a long-term starter. Has limited arm strength. I'd say the QB of the future isn't on the roster yet. I wouldn't count out Case Keenum if you're going after that QB situation.

I agree with this. Nassib is another I have stashed as an Eli owner. I think there's a real possibility Eli has a new address next season.
doesn't Eli have a few years remaining on his contract? Suppose a trade is possible. Wouldn't mind seeing him in Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread