What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (1 Viewer)

Need to lock this in -- the 15-category scoring shown in posts #4781 and #4888 were posted over two weeks ago, and some discrepancies are only now being brought up. I know a lot of drafters haven't looked in this thread for a while... but now is the time for us to review our scores and clear up any discrepancies.
I believe higgins, at least, brought up the discrepancy a while ago, and the discrepancies are in part what led to the outcry for a better system. :shrug:
The discrepancies you're thinking of were brought up immediately after post #4765. Tim made several corrections and reposted the "correct" 15-categories scores at #4781. Post #4781 has been up for over two weeks with no further corrections and little comment other than JML thanking Tim for making the corrections.

But Nick's summation is correct ... all the scores are pretty far off at this point. Need to be redone from the beginning.

Yeah, looks like Tim's scores were off - Mrs. R's and mine are both wrong. I'll double check my scores and post an update for it later.

Yeah, looks like Tim's scores were off - Mrs. R's and mine are both wrong. I'll double check my scores and post an update for it later.
No need to post it for my benefit -- I'm going to go back through this thread and start over from the first category judged.

Of the "original 15" categories, I have six re-scored so far. Re-scores are based solely on the judges' posts in this thread. Hoping to be able to burn through the remaining nine tomorrow.

Do your total points for all drafters and categories add up?
I don't have separate scoring for the first 15 categories. I have one column with the first 15 categories scores lumped into one figure. I have a second column for the shootout scores, and a third column for the dream sequence scores. That's it. No separate scores for any of the first 15 categories posted. I just planned to keep adding columns as more categories were scored.

I will look back through the thread for the 14-categories vs 15 categories scores to fix your issue.
Cool. I wouldn't spend too much time on it though since you'll likely have to go way back to find it. I can also post my scores as I know them if that helps. What I meant by total points is there should be 5525 for 17 categories but your through 17 categories only adds up to 5279. That's 246 points missing somewhere.
Those are mine.

Okay ... the "original 15" have all been re-scored, including the re-ranking of Solaris & Gremlins in their respctive categories. I scored the most recently posted cagtegories -- Shootout and Dream Sequence -- earlier, so I have an accurate accounting of the scores in 17 categories. All scores in each category equal 325, and all all scores aggregate through 17 categories equals 5,525.

Movie Draft Score through 17 of 30 Categories

Drafter - Total
---------------------------------------------

Nick Vermeil - 287
BobbyLayne - 272
Val Rannous - 264
krista4 - 261
AcerFC - 259
Aerial Assault - 257
Andy Dufresne - 252
Tremendous Upside - 252
Karma Police - 248
Mrs. Rannous - 247
Tiannamen Tank - 241
jwb - 230
timschochet - 230
John Madden's Lunchbox - 217
Time Kibitzer - 203
hooter311 - 200
Dr. Octopus - 195
Doug B - 191
Joffer - 189
higgins - 187
rikishiboy - 174
Tish155 - 172
Mister CIA - 170
Usual21 - 167
Kumerica - 160

Here's what's left, cribbing from Val's post at the bottom of pg 96 -- categories in red have yet to be judged:

Here's a copy of the judging list:

Movies

1. Adultery/sex (John Madden's Lunchbox)
2. Drugs (Tremendous Upside)
3. England (John Madden's Lunchbox)

4. Spies (Tremendous Upside)
5. Nazis (timschochet)
6. New York (Tremendous Upside)
7. Outer Space (Val Rannous)

8. Rock and Roll (UNCLAIMED)
9. Superheroes (Aerial Assault)
10. No idea what this movie is about (UNCLAIMED)

Scenes

1. shocking scene (jwb)
2. Dance scene (tish155)
3. romantic gesture (krista4)
4. shootout (Jzilla)

5. fight scene (John Madden's Lunchbox)
6. gambling scene (Val Rannous)

7. car chase (jwb)
8. monologue (Tiannamen Tank)
9. courtroom scene (Aerial Assault)

10. classroom scene (AcerFC)
11. shooting a movie scene (UNCLAIMED)
12. sports scene (Charvik)
13. dream sequence (Aerial Assault)
14. scene that scared you as a kid (Val Rannous)
15. long take (Karma Police)

Portayals
1. multiple performances in a movie (Nick Vermeil)
2. best movie parent (timschochet)
3. dramatic actor in a comedic role (Kumerica)
4. best performance by child actor (timschochet [?]
)
5. best portrayal of a real/historical person (UNCLAIMED)
I think some of these categories have changed hands since Val posted this list on June 21st.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some, but not all, judges have spoken for their categories in the last two weeks:

- JML for Adultery/Sex Movies (60% done on Friday 6/21) and for Fight Scenes

- Aerial Assault for Dream Sequences (finished) and Courtroom Scenes

- Nick Vermeil for Multiple Performances (looking for help judging an unseen film)

- Tremendous Upside for Spies (90% finished on Saturday 6/29)

- Tiananmen Tank for Monologues (only write-ups pending as of Monday 6/24)

- Kumerica for Dramatic Actors in Comedic Roles (write-ups 60% done on Friday 6/21)

- Bobby Layne dropped Portrayal of a Real/Historical Person this past Monday. Val & Mrs. Rannous considering taking it on..

- Val Rannous picked up Gambling Scene from Scott Norwood

Finally, Tim declared the following categories still up for grabs:

- Rock and Roll Movie

- No Idea What This Movie is About

- "Shooting a Movie" Scene

- Portrayal of a Real/Historical Person (if the Rannouses aren't taking it)

DougB deserves tremendous credit. I apologize to all for my errors. Not sure where I went wrong.

Child stars will be completed shortly.

Need to lock this in -- the 15-category scoring shown in posts #4781 and #4888 were posted over two weeks ago, and some discrepancies are only now being brought up. I know a lot of drafters haven't looked in this thread for a while... but now is the time for us to review our scores and clear up any discrepancies.
I believe higgins, at least, brought up the discrepancy a while ago, and the discrepancies are in part what led to the outcry for a better system. :shrug:
The discrepancies you're thinking of were brought up immediately after post #4765. Tim made several corrections and reposted the "correct" 15-categories scores at #4781. Post #4781 has been up for over two weeks with no further corrections and little comment other than JML thanking Tim for making the corrections.

But Nick's summation is correct ... all the scores are pretty far off at this point. Need to be redone from the beginning.
I was assuming because my score was now correct, others were too. Looks like that was a mistake.

Thanks for getting them correct now :thumbup:

Child Stars.

Like everything else, a tremendously difficult category. I tried to be as objective as possible, but no doubt some of my personal favorites are going to do better. Certain roles which garnered great critical acclaim I didn't really think much of, while a few others are among the most memorable performances I have ever seen on screen. Probably will receive some criticism here; oh well. Away we go...

1 point- Kirsten Dunst, Interview With A Vampire- well, something's got to be last, right? This was such a terrible film, and she was more disturbing than anything else. I am not a huge vampire fan in any case (though the other vampire film chosen does MUCH better.)

2 points- Max Records, Where the Wild Things Are- An even worse film. This is what happens you try to turn a 20 page illustrated children's book into a feature length live action movie. It can be done, sometimes. But this was a miserable failure.

3 points- Dakota Fanning, Man on Fire- mediocre action film with Denzel Washington. Dakota is fine, but this is not a memorable performance. Ho hum.

4 points- Lindsay Lohan, Parent Trap- Hayley Mills would have done better, IMO. Lindsay is fine- nothing against her in this dual role, but it's nothing remarkable either.

5 points- MacCaulay Culkin, Home Alone. This role caused Culkin to become, at the time, the biggest child movie star since Shirley Temple. But he lacks her vivacious charisma. He's cute on screen, and the great script allows him to perform some slapstick comedy which the audience loves. But if you're looking for great acting, look elsewhere.

6 points- Haley Joel Osment, The Sixth Sense- I know critics loved this performance, but I think he mostly has a blank look and recites his lines in a dull monotone. His sister is a much better actress. This is a good movie mostly because of the surprise ending.

7 points- Natalie Wood in Miracle On 34th Street- Classic Hollywood Movie and even at this age, Natalie has a screen presence that can't be denied. But the acting style is dated and seems unrealistic by today's standards.

8 points- Dakota Channing in I Am Sam- personally, I think Dakota's best role was Charlotte's Web. This one was good, and critically acclaimed, but I wasn't a real fan of the movie (though Sean Penn was very good as usual.)

9 points- Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun- Great, epic movie. Bale is fine; but the role itself is not particularly demanding.

10 points- Christina Ricci, The Addams Family- Ricci is hilarious as the ultimate Goth girl. She might even be better in the sequel, which features her character more.

11 points- Shirley Temple, The Little Colonel- Hollywood's biggest child star ever in what is perhaps her most memorable role. She is spectacular dancing with Robinson. On the other hand, her acting skills leave plenty to be desired, which is why I can't rank this any higher.

12 points- Keisha Castle-Hughes, The Whale Rider- One of my older daughter's favorite films. Castle-Hughes is excellent in this role, showing quite a bit of emotion.

13 points- Ricky Shroder, The Champ- It starts to get really tough here. Ricky is tremendous.

14 points- Patty McCormick in The Bad Seed- My pick. Patty is over the top, but she is playing a deliberate spoof of the perfect 50's kid from shows like Father Knows Best- the only serial killer on this list, and the most unsympathetic child performance ever. Love her.

15 points- Max Pameranc, Searching for Bobby Fischer- One of my favorite films of the 90s. Pameranc is suitably intense and likeable at the same time. Great performance.

15 points-

The top 10 are pretty interchangeable, in that these are all outstanding performances:

16 points- Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine

17 points- Anna Paquin, The Piano

]8 points- Lina Leandersson, Let the Right One In

19 points- Quvenhanze Walls, Beast of the Southern Wild

20 points- Victoire Thivosel, Ponette

Distinguishing between these 5 remarkable girls is purely subjective on my part. They're all incredible roles, incredible performances. Thivosel gets the nod because (1) she was 4 years old, (2)it's such a beautiful beautiful film. But again, these could have been in any order, and they could all easily be in the top 5 as well.

21 points- Ivana Baquero, Pan's Labyrinth- Perhaps the best film I've seen in the last 10 years. And she is truly remarkable.

22 points- River Phoenix, Stand By Me- Too bad River died at such a young age. Like James Dean before him, he was in command every time he appeared on screen, no more so than in this role.

23 points- Tatum O'Neil, Paper Moon- IMO, the single most charismatic child performance ever given.

24 points- Natalie Portman, Leon: The Professional- there's just a touch of Lolita going on her. At 12, still her finest role.

25 points- Jodie Foster, Taxi Driver. The performance by which all child acting will be forever measured.

Child stars

25 pts- Jodie Foster, Taxi Driver- Bobby Layne

24 pts- Natalie Portman, Leon the Professional-joffer

23 pts- Tatum O'Neil, Paper Moon- higgins

22 pts- River Phoenix, Stand By Me- hooter311

21 pts- Ivana Baquero, Pan's Labyrinth- Andy Dufresne

20 pts- Victoire Thivisol, Ponette- Tremendous Upside

19 pts- Quvenhanze Walls, Beasts of the Southern Wild- DougB

18 pts- Lina Leandersson, Let the Right One In- Tiannamen Tank

17 pts- Anna Paquin, The Piano- Aerial Assault

16 pts- Abigail Breslin- Little Miss Sunshine- Acer FC

15 pts- Maz Pameranc- Searching for Bobby Fischer- Nick Vermiel

14 pts- Patty McCormick- The Bad Seed-timschochet

13 pts- Ricky Shroder- The Champ-jwb

12 pts- Keisha Castle-Hughes, Whale Rider-krista4

11 pts- Shirley Temple, The Little Colonel- Mister CIA

10 pts- Christina Ricci, The Addams Family- Mrs. Rannous

9 pts- Christian Bale, Empire of the Sun- Usual21

8 pts- Dakota Channing, I Am Sam- tish155

7 pts- Natalie Wood, Miracle on 34th Street- Val Rannous

6 pts- Haley Joel Osment- The Sixth Sense- Dr.Octopus

5 pts- MacCaulay Culkin- Home Alone- John Madden's Lunchbox

4 pts- Lindsay Lohan, The Parent Trap- rikishiboy

3 pts- Dakota Fanning, Man on Fire-Time Kibitzer

2 pts- Max Records, Where the Wild Things Are-Karma Police

1 pt- Kirsten Dunst, Interview With A Vampire- Kumerica

It's been a while since I've seen Taxi Driver, but does Jodie Foster even have 15min of screen time in that film? I remember her being really good, but I also remember her character being little more than a footnote and MacGuffin. Could be misremembering though.

Having watched Stand By Me for the first time just a couple years ago, I really don't think that film, or River Phoenix's performance, holds up well at all. Maybe my opinion would be different if I had fell in love with the movie as a kid, but seeing it for the first time as an adult, I'm pretty baffled at the love that movie gets. Definitely don't think River's performance was on the same level as the girl from Pan's Labyrinth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since I've seen Taxi Driver, but does Jodie Foster even have 15min of screen time in that film? I remember her being really good, but I also remember her character being little more than a footnote and MacGuffin. Could be misremembering though.

Having watched Stand By Me for the first time just a couple years ago, I really don't think that film, or River Phoenix's performance, holds up well at all. Maybe my opinion would be different if I had fell in love with the movie as a kid, but seeing it for the first time as an adult, I'm pretty baffled at the love that movie gets. Definitely don't think River's performance was on the same level as the girl from Pan's Labyrinth.
wasn't it her character who really put him over the edge? Bickle went after her pimp, right?

I dunno - I like Stand By Me, and think it's full of good performances. Especially for what it was.

jwb said:
Time Kibitzer said:

wasn't it her character who really put him over the edge? Bickle went after her pimp, right?

I dunno - I like Stand By Me, and think it's full of good performances. Especially for what it was.
Yeah from what I recall her character was Bickle's reasoning for going over the edge, but only in a classic MacGuffin sort of way, i.e. her character exists for the sole purpose of providing motivation for the protagonist; is little more than a storytelling device and by the end of the film her character essentially proves to be irrelevant. She had one 5 odd minute scene with Bickle in the diner where they built rapport, but that's about it from what I can remember, just about everything before and after that she exists just for the chase.

Movie Draft Score through 18 of 30 Categories

Drafter - Total
---------------------------------------------

Nick Vermeil - 302
BobbyLayne - 297
AcerFC - 275
Aerial Assault - 274
Andy Dufresne - 273
krista4 - 273
Tremendous Upside - 272
Val Rannous - 271
Tiannamen Tank - 259
Mrs. Rannous - 257
Karma Police - 250
timschochet - 244
jwb - 243
hooter311 - 222
John Madden's Lunchbox - 222
Joffer - 213
Doug B - 210
higgins - 210
Time Kibitzer - 206
Dr. Octopus - 201
Mister CIA - 181
Tish155 - 180
rikishiboy - 178
Usual21 - 176
Kumerica - 161

Mrs. R and I are working through the Historical Performances we haven't seen, still have 7-8 more to watch. I hope to have gambling scenes done in the next day or two.

Running into some issues with the Gambling scenes - some of these have no clips, or aren't quite clear about which clip. If you took any of the following, please specify what you want, or even better, give me a clip link:

Let it Ride - I assume you mean the "He pissed it all away" race?

Cool Hand Luke - exactly what are we taking here? The poker scene (of which I found a clip) or the egg scene (which I can't).

The Hustler - can you be more exact on what you want?

I haven't finished the list yet, but that's what I need for now.

Running into some issues with the Gambling scenes - some of these have no clips, or aren't quite clear about which clip. If you took any of the following, please specify what you want, or even better, give me a clip link:

Let it Ride - I assume you mean the "He pissed it all away" race?

Cool Hand Luke - exactly what are we taking here? The poker scene (of which I found a clip) or the egg scene (which I can't).

The Hustler - can you be more exact on what you want?

I haven't finished the list yet, but that's what I need for now.
Cool hand Luke egg scene was taken and posted. Andy found it for me. I'm on my phone for the next few days but will try to find it.

16.9 The Hustler - gambling scene

For now I'll just take the first scene so that tim has something to put on the list, but I'm likely to change that.
Amazed this was still out there. For me it's top 3.
It looks like I never changed this to anything else, so I'll stick with it. The opening scene where Eddie pretends to drunkenly lose all his money to Charlie and then bets anyone in the bar that he can make the trick shot, and makes it. I seem to recall looking for it at the time without luck, but maybe it's out there somewhere.

Nine days since the last category was posted :tumbleweed:
Srsly. This is getting sorta silly.

And before anyone says, "Yeah?? Where are those courtroom seenz????!!!!111," I can have those ready in about 24 hours, but I've judged two cats already so I think I'm entitled to wonder wassup with the remaining 11 or however many there are left. So, anyhoo?

Users who are viewing this thread