What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (2 Viewers)

Well its been FIVE years since tiger has won a major, he's good, but lets face it not great anymore
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--tiger-woods--critics-are-missing-the-point-013920576.html
"He could easily be the type of player who is winning majors consistently into his mid-40s, given his historic work ethic and desire."

His historic work ethic and desire got him zero majors in his mid-30s, it's hard to believe he'll do it consistently into his mid-40s.
Yeah, he could just as easily win just a couple more at most. He was clearly on top of his game this year with his 5 minor wins. In the majors, its not like he was even in the mix at the end. He was only in consideration in 2 of them and even those he finished 5 shots behind. That's a pretty significant distance.
He was only four shots behind at the Masters, and he lost four shots thanks to a wedge shot on 15 that was actually too good- bounced off the pin into the water, turning a 4 into a 6, and got a subsequent 2 shot penalty for improper drop, making it an 8. The distance between him and the leaders was an inch to the left or right on the wedge.

Last edited by a moderator:
its weird how many hardcore conservatives from the political threads really dislike Tiger Woods in this thread.

Well its been FIVE years since tiger has won a major, he's good, but lets face it not great anymore
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--tiger-woods--critics-are-missing-the-point-013920576.html
"He could easily be the type of player who is winning majors consistently into his mid-40s, given his historic work ethic and desire."

His historic work ethic and desire got him zero majors in his mid-30s, it's hard to believe he'll do it consistently into his mid-40s.
Yeah, he could just as easily win just a couple more at most. He was clearly on top of his game this year with his 5 minor wins. In the majors, its not like he was even in the mix at the end. He was only in consideration in 2 of them and even those he finished 5 shots behind. That's a pretty significant distance.
He was only four shots behind at the Masters, and he lost four shots thanks to a wedge shot on 15 that was actually too good- bounced off the pin into the water, turning a 4 into a 6, and got a subsequent 2 shot penalty for improper drop, making it an 8. The distance between him and the leaders was an inch to the left or right on the wedge.
You're right. Forgot about the infamous two stroke penalty.

We can't take your posts seriously anymore.

We?

He'd have taken the lead there and likely never given it up.

Apologies if this has been covered, but what's the prevailing theory behind him firing Steve Williams?
Agents, caddies, swing coaches, wives...he has a pretty long history of dismissing people and never looking back.
Yeah, but so does pretty much every golfer on the tour (except for the wives part). I mean it's not like Jim Furyk and Adam Scott were just joining the tour when Fluff and Steve Williams reentered the job market. They canned their caddies too.

We?

I'm sure he would have. Too bad it hit the pin and we won't ever know what really would have happened. Bad breaks happen in every tournament. If only wishes and revisionist history could change a bunch of tournament results.

We?

He might have had a chance if only he knew the rules of golf and knew where to drop his ball. How again does a PGA player not know where to drop his ball?

Apologies if this has been covered, but what's the prevailing theory behind him firing Steve Williams?
Agents, caddies, swing coaches, wives...he has a pretty long history of dismissing people and never looking back.
Of course there couldn't possibly be details to each of those that you aren't privy to like Butch billing Tiger for vacations and dinners without his knowledge or Steve's mouth becoming a distraction and then caddying for Adam Scott when Tiger was injured as if he needed the money. There couldn't possibly be reasons for those things, it's just because Tiger is selfish jerk who does want he wants with no consideration for others.

Jesus this thread really does attract the worst posters in the FFA. You can't even make one reasonable point to a decent poster like Nutter (one that he immediately recognized) without a couple haters seizing the opportunity to jump in with dumb and irrelevant comments.

What kind of person hates a golfer this much?

We?

He might have had a chance if only he knew the rules of golf and knew where to drop his ball. How again does a PGA player not know where to drop his ball?
Fury getting the better of him, resulting in him going on autopilot. The problem being that it was autopilot for the situation most commonly experienced with a water hazard, which is it crossing the hazard line only once.

Jesus this thread really does attract the worst posters in the FFA. You can't even make one reasonable point to a decent poster like Nutter (one that he immediately recognized) without a couple haters seizing the opportunity to jump in with dumb and irrelevant comments.

There are countless shots in tourney where "an inch either way" is a huge swing for the golfer. Yes, it had a big impact on Tiger's score but I'm sure every single golfer could make the same statement over the course of 72 holes.

There are countless shots in tourney where "an inch either way" is a huge swing for the golfer. Yes, it had a big impact on Tiger's score but I'm sure every single golfer could make the same statement over the course of 72 holes.
Sure- although I think that four shot swings on a single bad bounce are unusual, 2 shot swings certainly are not.

But I wasn't saying he should have won or anything like that. What I said was that very unlucky shot cost him four strokes he would have saved if it was an inch off line, and four shots was exactly how much he trailed the leaders by when all was said and done. I don't consider one bad break to be a "significant distance" behind. That's all I said. It was a simple, not at all controversial point, one the guy I was addressing agreed with. It takes a significant amount of irrational hatred towards a golfer to see it any other way.

Some would do well to take Westwood's advice from his drunken tirade last night when he told a bunch of trolls that they "need to live from the inside out rather than the outside in."

We?

Fury getting the better of him, resulting in him going on autopilot. The problem being that it was autopilot for the situation most commonly experienced with a water hazard, which is it crossing the hazard line only once.
Actually the bigger problem is the rules committee not knowing the rules either

Sure- although I think that four shot swings on a single bad bounce are unusual, 2 shot swings certainly are not.

But I wasn't saying he should have won or anything like that. What I said was that very unlucky shot cost him four strokes he would have saved if it was an inch off line, and four shots was exactly how much he trailed the leaders by when all was said and done. I don't consider one bad break to be a "significant distance" behind. That's all I said. It was a simple, not at all controversial point, one the guy I was addressing agreed with. It takes a significant amount of irrational hatred towards a golfer to see it any other way.
Especially when the bad bounce was a direct consequence of hitting a perfect shot. Most bad breaks happen on missed shots. Tiger's was not your garden variety bad break.

It was only a two-stroke swing though, again, which happens countless times in a round. The other two strokes were because he turns into a mental midget on weekends during a major.

Please note that I don't believe the 2nd part of my post whatsoever.

It was only a two-stroke swing though, again, which happens countless times in a round. The other two strokes were because he turns into a mental midget on weekends during a major.

:lmao: Knowing you I would have guessed the spoiler anyway.

It actually happened on Friday.

Is there a petition somewhere we can sign that prohibits fans from screaming just as the golfer hits the shot?

Hey, look at me.. I'm going to yell something no one has ever heard before... check this out... CHEWBAKKA! :lmao: :lmao: :hifive: :towelwave: :clap: :suds: :bowtie: :bowtie:

:wall:

I'm guessing this was directed at me?

I actually like Tiger. HTH

"If only Tiger had holed out on Thursday and Friday at the British Open for double eagle, he would have won his 15th major already."

:exactly:

Especially when the bad bounce was a direct consequence of hitting a perfect shot. Most bad breaks happen on missed shots. Tiger's was not your garden variety bad break.
So he was trying to hit the stick?

Is there a petition somewhere we can sign that prohibits fans from screaming just as the golfer hits the shot?

Hey, look at me.. I'm going to yell something no one has ever heard before... check this out... CHEWBAKKA! :lmao: :lmao: :hifive: :towelwave: :clap: :suds: :bowtie: :bowtie:

Chewie would have been good if the guy accompanied it with a perfect impression after.

Chewie would have been good if the guy accompanied it with a perfect impression after.
Howard Stern has been encouraging the BABABOOEY! yells lately. He plays every single on of them on his show. Been doing it all year.

The next level will be for someone to be next to Feherty or IBF or one of the other on course guys and whisper bababooey into the mic when a player putts.

So he was trying to hit the stick?
There's a difference between aiming at the flagstick and wanting to hit the flagstick. Nobody expects to hit the centimeter they're aimed at from 100 yards, or whatever it was. I don't know what he was thinking, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to make it, was aiming at the flag and was figuring on spinning the ball back under the hole for an uphill putt.

If you look at Tiger's record in the majors, it really hasn't been that impressive since 2002. He's had some lucky shots help him win some events too.

It's kind of odd how the lines are drawn in this thread between the haters and the nuthuggers, and the level of discourse is about as juvenile as anywhere in these forums.

I haven't made it a secret that I dislike how Tiger conducts himself on the course. I started watching golf in the 80's with my grandfather and rooted for Jack and especially Tom Watson. Those guys were the epitome of class.

When Tiger annihilated the field at the Masters in '97, I sat there in awe like everyone else. I don't know that I would bother watching a tournament where the leader is ahead by 12 strokes, but his skills were just otherworldly. It was absolutely insane, like it wasn't really happening. To compare him to a Michael Jordan probably isn't sufficient. Woods was the equivalent of Jordan scoring 80+ points per game.

But over the years, the scowling,the dismissiveness with the media and the way he was covered as if no other golfers even existed made me really resent him. I started rooting for whoever was in second to come up and bite him. That rarely came out in my favor, obviously.

Then the scandal came, the injuries, the firing of everyone in his inner circle...and now when I watch him, he seems as lost and miserable as one could possibly imagine. I really do pity him in a way...in a superficial way, maybe that seems absurd, but money and fame don't buy happiness as we all know. I don't think I would trade places with him. We should never take the simple joys in life for granted.

I think when a person reaches superstardom on the level of a Michael Jackson, Madonna, A-Rod etc., it's almost impossible to really deal with. Woods is a human being after all, and I don't think we are built to deal with the adulation and expectations that come with his level of achievement. Of course he's distrustful, of course he's aloof, of course he's insecure. How would any of us deal with his life? I can't say I would do any better.

Forget Jack's record, I'm rooting for his 40's to be better than his 30's. I hope he finds peace in his life, and true happiness. I suspect he needs a LOT of therapy, and people around him who are truly looking out for his interests first and not their own. It's probably going to be very difficult for him to find that since his dad always filled that role. Come to think of it his dad was probably the one figure who kept him grounded and maybe none of the craziness would have happened if he was still around.

It's kind of odd how the lines are drawn in this thread between the haters and the nuthuggers, and the level of discourse is about as juvenile as anywhere in these forums.

I haven't made it a secret that I dislike how Tiger conducts himself on the course. I started watching golf in the 80's with my grandfather and rooted for Jack and especially Tom Watson. Those guys were the epitome of class.

When Tiger annihilated the field at the Masters in '97, I sat there in awe like everyone else. I don't know that I would bother watching a tournament where the leader is ahead by 12 strokes, but his skills were just otherworldly. It was absolutely insane, like it wasn't really happening. To compare him to a Michael Jordan probably isn't sufficient. Woods was the equivalent of Jordan scoring 80+ points per game.

But over the years, the scowling,the dismissiveness with the media and the way he was covered as if no other golfers even existed made me really resent him. I started rooting for whoever was in second to come up and bite him. That rarely came out in my favor, obviously.

Then the scandal came, the injuries, the firing of everyone in his inner circle...and now when I watch him, he seems as lost and miserable as one could possibly imagine. I really do pity him in a way...in a superficial way, maybe that seems absurd, but money and fame don't buy happiness as we all know. I don't think I would trade places with him. We should never take the simple joys in life for granted.

I think when a person reaches superstardom on the level of a Michael Jackson, Madonna, A-Rod etc., it's almost impossible to really deal with. Woods is a human being after all, and I don't think we are built to deal with the adulation and expectations that come with his level of achievement. Of course he's distrustful, of course he's aloof, of course he's insecure. How would any of us deal with his life? I can't say I would do any better.

Forget Jack's record, I'm rooting for his 40's to be better than his 30's. I hope he finds peace in his life, and true happiness. I suspect he needs a LOT of therapy, and people around him who are truly looking out for his interests first and not their own. It's probably going to be very difficult for him to find that since his dad always filled that role. Come to think of it his dad was probably the one figure who kept him grounded and maybe none of the craziness would have happened if he was still around.
:violin:

I remember when Charlie Nicklaus died (winter of 1969-70 IIRC). Jack had just finished his first course design, a co-authored course in Hilton Head with Pete Dye - Harbor Town. Nicklaus had been sitting on 8 majors since the '67 US Open. He already passed Arnold as the best golfer in the world but he was never going to catch him popularity. Fat Jack with the porkpie hat (and a crew cut). He had just published his first biography, and that along with his father passing caused him to pause and reflect who he was, and what he wanted to be - and it had to be something other than the guy who was going to pass Bobby Jones record of 13 majors.

He made some decisions about life style choices. He gave up smoking, and ordered a whole new wardrobe - AND THEN he lost 30 pounds. He grew his hair out to a fashionably longer style. He accepted the fact that Arnold was the King, and he always would be. He'd have to be content to be Jack Nicklaus, the best winner the game ever saw, and probably the most gracious loser. In time, fans came to think of the Golden Bear fondly. Maybe never with the same level of passion they rooted for Arnie, but he won a lot of people over not by being dominant but by being gracious.

In normal chronology we all lose our dads sooner or later. It takes you into a whole different phase of life - you're no longer the son, you're the patriarch. For most of us, it's a painful, difficult process from which we emerge stronger and wiser.

Great posts McG and Bobby. Both were a nice surprise in this thread.

He's a hard guy to root for as a person -- especially since there's really no hint of contrition or sense that he recognizes he's been humbled. But I still root for him as a golfer and I'm fairly sure I'll never see another one like him.

I'm willing to take action re: Tiger winning a major in 2014.
Before you start taking action on next year, lets get this year's bets cleared up. <_< Not sure who is paying me here?
You struggling to make rent? Take it easy Ace, scroll back a page and you'll see that zoonation already agreed to pay you. Send him your paypal address and everyone will be square.

If you look at Tiger's record in the majors, it really hasn't been that impressive since 2002. He's had some lucky shots help him win some events too.
He's won six majors since 2002, including a career Grand Slam, and that 2008 US Open was about as impressive as anything else he's ever done.

I'm willing to take action re: Tiger winning a major in 2014.
Before you start taking action on next year, lets get this year's bets cleared up. <_< Not sure who is paying me here?
You struggling to make rent? Take it easy Ace, scroll back a page and you'll see that zoonation already agreed to pay you. Send him your paypal address and everyone will be square.
Thanks Chief.

Yeah, it's like it's Tiger against the world. He seems like a profoundly sad and lonely person. Golf is all he has, so he's pressing way too hard. Pity.
Agree with most of this except the pity. He's one dimensional and thats what makes him the best

Users who are viewing this thread