What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAP machines (2 Viewers)

Have you ever used a CPAP machine?

• Yes

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 234 65.7%

• Total voters
I've had my cpap for about 4 months now. And I can honestly say I dont think it works for me the way I thought it would or should. I still wake up during the night a few times. I dont really feel like I get a good nights sleep. At first I thought I just needed to adjust to it, but at this point I just dont know now. The facemask is very claustrophobic. It takes me a good twenty minutes to adjust breathing through the facemask as I lay in bed. At times I have to take it off to catch my breathe. I sleep on my side, which makes it somewhat difficult to wear the mask without it leaking air onto my face, which is very bothersome. Im constantly adjusting the mask on my face.I have heard there are other cpap options on the market. My friend has what is called a bpap, which covers only the nose. Perhaps that is what I need.I think I need to get another sleep study done. Or at least discuss what is happening with my doc. Its just very frustrating to go through everything you need to go through in getting the machine only to have these issues.
Any reason the doc gave you a full face mask instead of just the nose? I needed a full mask because I have a deviated septum and mostly breathe through my mouth. But if you can breathe with your nose that sounds like it would be a better option.

I've had my cpap for about 4 months now. And I can honestly say I dont think it works for me the way I thought it would or should. I still wake up during the night a few times. I dont really feel like I get a good nights sleep. At first I thought I just needed to adjust to it, but at this point I just dont know now. The facemask is very claustrophobic. It takes me a good twenty minutes to adjust breathing through the facemask as I lay in bed. At times I have to take it off to catch my breathe. I sleep on my side, which makes it somewhat difficult to wear the mask without it leaking air onto my face, which is very bothersome. Im constantly adjusting the mask on my face.
As mentioned I don't find the mask claustrophobic which helped with my adjustment to it. What you are saying about being your side is true. When I roll to the side the masks leaks some air. I have found that when this happens if I open and shut my mouth or move my jaw it helps re-seal the mask.With regards to having a hard time falling to sleep and the hard tie breathing, maybe your "ramp up" time needs to be adjusted. You might need more air quicker.

10 years ago, girl I was dating told me I was stopping breathing and gasping when I slept, and said I should get tested for sleep apnea. Yeah, ok hon, I'll make an appointment, sure.

Then one Sunday morning was watching ESPN pregame show and they had a segment about how the NFL was having players get tested. And they mentioned the life expectancy of someone with sleep apnea is 10 years less than those who don't have it.

:shock:

Called the doctor soon as their offices opened on Monday morning. Have been using my machine for 10 years. I had just had a new sleep study so I could get a new machine when my old one happened to die. Still took me 5 days to get the new machine. Found I can't sleep without it now. Four of the nights I got maybe an hour of sleep in 10 minute bits here and there. The other I was so exhausted I maybe slept 3 hours.

Lost weight and I snore less. Also sleep pretty soundly most of the time, and if I really need a good night's sleep I pop a Lunesta and I'm out for some deep Z's. I travel a lot, and I wouldn't want to check that thing through security every time. Also, thinking I might get the airways in my nasal passages opened up - daughter did it and she said it's amazing how much air flow she gets now. If I can breathe through my nose most of the time my mouth stays closed - no issues. I have allergies, and when I get stuffy that's when I'm at risk to snore a lot. Bottom line - I'm motivated to stay in shape just so I hopefully don't have to wear the damn thing

'Mr.Pack said:
Mine is the "nose pillows" type. Plus it starts at a lower pressure and then ramps up at the prescribed amount after 10 min (once I'm asleep).
Same here
:yes: Do you all have the humidifier on yours? No way would I ever go without that. A guy at work doesnt have one and I don't get that at all. I would be dry as a desert in the morning.
I imagine it can vary a lot based on the volume of airflow. My original setting, I only used the humidifier in the winter, cranking up the heat on it so that warm air would help warm me.10 years and a couple of added pounds later, they increased the air pressure setting and now I dry out a lot more if I don't use the humidifier.

I have a humidifier on mine, and I used it the first week I had it, and don't use it anymore...I feel I sleep better without it.

To put the "fat guy" myth to rest, I'm 5'9" 175 and stay in good shape. You don't have to be a fat guy to have sleep apnea. K

i have a buddy who doesn't know he needs one, but does and i fear he's going to die of sleep apnea in < 10 years if he doesn't get one.

And he is a lardass

But he won't goto the doctor... can i just acquire one of these on the black market and get it set up properly for him?

I know he'd feel better... he snores like Chewbacca and is always abusing caffeine due to chronic tiredness
That is why I went for sleep study. Chronic tiredness is the absolute worst. Dizzying. Yeah - your buddy is literally killing himself if he doesn't get treated. You can buy machines pretty easily now. They run about 500-800 bucks I believe.
Exactly. I drive 40 mins to wrk one way, and I could never make it home without pulling off the road at a park n ride to walk around a bit and drink a soda.My study showed that I stop breathing 120+ times an hour. I guess I'm a severe case.

Twice I woke up, prior to the CPAP, where I was choking and had to crawl to the bathroom gasping for air. Pretty scary stuff.
I've had this thread on my mind all week, mostly because of the above.My husband went to an ENT about a year ago because he was snoring and also suspected that he had some kind of infection way back in his sinuses. The ENT did a scan and didn't see anything that dictated surgery, so my husband got a mouth guard from his dentist for the snoring and that was that.

However, about once every two weeks or so, he will wake up choking/gasping for air. After reading this thread, it seems that he probably does suffer from some form of apnea.

Do I just Google "sleep study" in my area or is there a certain type of doctor he needs to go see?

i have a buddy who doesn't know he needs one, but does and i fear he's going to die of sleep apnea in < 10 years if he doesn't get one.

And he is a lardass

But he won't goto the doctor... can i just acquire one of these on the black market and get it set up properly for him?

I know he'd feel better... he snores like Chewbacca and is always abusing caffeine due to chronic tiredness
That is why I went for sleep study. Chronic tiredness is the absolute worst. Dizzying. Yeah - your buddy is literally killing himself if he doesn't get treated. You can buy machines pretty easily now. They run about 500-800 bucks I believe.
Exactly. I drive 40 mins to wrk one way, and I could never make it home without pulling off the road at a park n ride to walk around a bit and drink a soda.My study showed that I stop breathing 120+ times an hour. I guess I'm a severe case.

Twice I woke up, prior to the CPAP, where I was choking and had to crawl to the bathroom gasping for air. Pretty scary stuff.
I've had this thread on my mind all week, mostly because of the above.My husband went to an ENT about a year ago because he was snoring and also suspected that he had some kind of infection way back in his sinuses. The ENT did a scan and didn't see anything that dictated surgery, so my husband got a mouth guard from his dentist for the snoring and that was that.

However, about once every two weeks or so, he will wake up choking/gasping for air. After reading this thread, it seems that he probably does suffer from some form of apnea.

Do I just Google "sleep study" in my area or is there a certain type of doctor he needs to go see?
I'd imagine the ENT can refer him. Or, your family doctor certainly can.

I'd just get a referral from PCP. If you have an insurance provider, they should also have a list of sleep study centers that take your insurance.I had my apnea study last week. I'm not sure how anybody actually sleeps during these things. I felt like Alex DeLarge with all of the wires attached to my head.

Had two nights with one of these things (plus one night at the sleep study) and so far I hate it.

Ive always been a tired person, drink tons of caffeine and have been told I snore. I used to be ok (not great, but ok) when I could get a full night sleep but now that we have kids the problem has become much, much worse. Instead of 8 hours of bad sleep I'm getting very small amounts of bad sleep.

I went in for a study and found that I had 65 events an hour, but none were fully obstructive so thats a good thing. My level is only 4, which is the lowest my machine goes so I must be pretty mild.

The problems I'm having is that I have a lot of allergy issues so I'm a mouth breather trying to use a nose only mask, plus I'm a side sleeper and can't sleep on my back. The mask is making me feel terribly claustrophobic and I've woken up to a few panic attacks feeling like I'm suffocating. I finally just took the damn thing off last night because I was so exhausted I just needed to get any sleep. Been a zombie all day today much worse than I was without it.

Going to give it 2-3 weeks to see if I get used to it... I've heard from a few people it took them a while, so I hope thats the case. I'd really love to just bail on the thing all together but like many have mentioned in this thread being tired all the time really sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had two nights with one of these things (plus one night at the sleep study) and so far I hate it.

Ive always been a tired person, drink tons of caffeine and have been told I snore. I used to be ok (not great, but ok) when I could get a full night sleep but now that we have kids the problem has become much, much worse. Instead of 8 hours of bad sleep I'm getting very small amounts of bad sleep.

I went in for a study and found that I had 65 events an hour, but none were fully obstructive so thats a good thing. My level is only 4, which is the lowest my machine goes so I must be pretty mild.

The problems I'm having is that I have a lot of allergy issues so I'm a mouth breather trying to use a nose only mask, plus I'm a side sleeper and can't sleep on my back. The mask is making me feel terribly claustrophobic and I've woken up to a few panic attacks feeling like I'm suffocating. I finally just took the damn thing off last night because I was so exhausted I just needed to get any sleep. Been a zombie all day today much worse than I was without it.

Going to give it 2-3 weeks to see if I get used to it... I've heard from a few people it took them a while, so I hope thats the case. I'd really love to just bail on the thing all together but like many have mentioned in this thread being tired all the time really sucks.
Being you aren't that bad, why don't you try the nose strips?

Being you aren't that bad, why don't you try the nose strips?
I actually used them for 3 years and they made a big difference in the snoring and the overall oxygen volume I got through my nose (and helped with allergy congestion a little too). I'm sure they helped slightly with the apnea but not enough to feel rested in the morning.

I went on a mini-vacation this weekend. two nights away from home. decided, eh, what the hell. i don't need the CPAP.

never, ever will i not take it again woke up with a dry mouth and throat, didn't sleep well and drove home rather than sleeping the second night when it was time to go to bed.

Had my tonsils taken out at age 30. Mine were pretty large and I'd get tonsillitis at least once a year. They were pretty gross. They also shortened my uvula. :bag: . Made all the difference. Basically cleared my airway. I had to push for it because the doctors acted like my enlarged tonsils weren't that big of a deal.

Still snore a bit after a night of drinking but it has made a big difference. Before surgery I'd sleep but was alert enough to know that I was snoring and basically cackling. Not a good thing.

So if you still have your tonsils you may want to looking into removing them.

Has anyone with apnea have nasal polyps removed and if so has it improved your apnea? Pretty sure thats the source of mine.

I was using the nose pillows and had constant sinus infections. Switched to a nose mask and voila!

I cannot sleep without mine. Forgot to pack it for a recent trip and had to sleep sitting up in the hotel chair. Didn't happen!

I am curious about the mouth guard thing also.

As to the fat guy comments, I know it's partly in good fun, but I am a FBG fatguy that uses a cpap.

Short version of the story:

My entire life I always felt drained and could sleep 10+ hours and keep on feeling tired.

Fast forward to marriage. Wife made me go for a test. I have severe apnea, so severe that the doc said I was in the top 1% of 1% of severe cases in the world. May have been a sales pitch... I asked if losing weight would help. He said I probably could not without the machine since my metabolism shuts off at night due to sleeping maybe 45 minutes and no rim sleep according to the sleep study.

He was surprised I had good motor skillz (to pay the billz), and his only reasoning was that I have had it my entire life so my body is used to it.

So when I was 180 and ran close to an 11 second 100, and was in serious shape I still had it. So I want not always a fatguy.

Ohh and Percy Harvin has it too.

Ok off my soapbox, I just had another crappy night of sleep brought to you by CPAP.

Anyone ever heard of Theravent? It's an adhesive strip that goes over the nostrils that's supposed to increase pressure by mainly allowing air in but not out as much.

A few people (ex wife, ex g/f, current g/f) have all told me that I sleep very restless. Legs moving about, stop breathing at times, etc...

I never listened to them. My current g/f is a nurse and she told me about it an told me about sleep apnea. I had heard of it but never thought much about it. Did a little research and it scared me. So I made a doc appointment, then had to go take a sleep test. Was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I'm not over weight, anyone can get it. Everyones biology is different, and some have smaller throat openings/blockages than others. Anyways, I began using my machine about 6 months ago. I have a mask that just covers my nose. It has worked great, g/f says I don't snore at all anymore, and I sleep throughout the night. Have alot more energy than I had 15 years previously. Not great energy, but more than I did. And yes, it sucks sleeping with the mask. Forget lying on your stomach (even though I don't). Laying on your side is a chore as air leaks out more easily. Laying on your back is the best way, but I can't do that the whole night. I will take it off sometimes in the middle of the night. And yes, sometimes it takes time to adjust to it...it feels like you're suffocating. Also, I split time between my house and the g'f's house, and it kind of sucks packing it all up a few times a week, even though it takes only a few minutes. The one I have you have to fill one side with water (are they all like that?). All in all, I do feel better with it, despite some of the nuances. And my life will probably last a bit longer. I do know my blood pressure and other vitals are MUCH better now.

Lost weight and I snore less. Also sleep pretty soundly most of the time, and if I really need a good night's sleep I pop a Lunesta and I'm out for some deep Z's. I travel a lot, and I wouldn't want to check that thing through security every time. Also, thinking I might get the airways in my nasal passages opened up - daughter did it and she said it's amazing how much air flow she gets now. If I can breathe through my nose most of the time my mouth stays closed - no issues. I have allergies, and when I get stuffy that's when I'm at risk to snore a lot. Bottom line - I'm motivated to stay in shape just so I hopefully don't have to wear the damn thing
Similar here. Had pretty damn bad apnea. Never went for a study. Lost some el beez and am breathing / sleeping much better now. :thumbup:

Leeroy Jenkins said:
So has anybody switched from the Cpap to a mouthguard thing?
I tried. I don't have time to do a detailed write up about it, but bottom line is I went back to CPAP because it didn't seem to work as well for me.

I've never slept better than I am with the CPAP with the nose mask!

The "pillows" piece I used to wear that fit in the nostrils was giving me horrible sinus infections.

No more infections, no more restless nights.

Going for a sleep study next week. Been feeling exhausted for couple of years now and blood tests haven't shown anything. Figured I would give it a shot.

Going for a sleep study next week. Been feeling exhausted for couple of years now and blood tests haven't shown anything. Figured I would give it a shot.
Good luck! I knew I had it but my study showed I woke up 80 times per hour and had 80 airwaves blockage 100% of the time.

Good luck! I knew I had it but my study showed I woke up 80 times per hour and had 80 airwaves blockage 100% of the time.
I literally only slept only 90 minutes during my sleep study. All that stuff hooked up to me and knowing I was being watched kept me up I guess. I had 84 events in that time which they said was mild.

I have bad allergies and can't sleep thru & breathe through my nose. Average maybe 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Went for a 2 part sleep study a couple weeks ago. Get there at 9PM, get wired up like a cyborg and told to OK, you can go to sleep now. I was like LJ. All the wires and someone watching weirded me out. But I slept pretty normal (crappy).Then the next day they took some of the wires off and then every 2 hours I was to try and take a 15 minute nap. Before each nap you lie on the bed and the tech comes on the loud speaker and does the Look left, look right, clench your teeth, etc. thing. I was thinking there was no way I'd sleep in the daytime like this, but I was oult like a light. Doc said it took me an average of 3.1 mins to fall asleep.

Next week comes the machine. For those already in the know, How loud is this contraption? I sleep on my side, will this effect the mask staying on? How long did it take to get used to it?

I have bad allergies and can't sleep thru & breathe through my nose. Average maybe 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Went for a 2 part sleep study a couple weeks ago. Get there at 9PM, get wired up like a cyborg and told to OK, you can go to sleep now. I was like LJ. All the wires and someone watching weirded me out. But I slept pretty normal (crappy).Then the next day they took some of the wires off and then every 2 hours I was to try and take a 15 minute nap. Before each nap you lie on the bed and the tech comes on the loud speaker and does the Look left, look right, clench your teeth, etc. thing. I was thinking there was no way I'd sleep in the daytime like this, but I was oult like a light. Doc said it took me an average of 3.1 mins to fall asleep.

Next week comes the machine. For those already in the know, How loud is this contraption? I sleep on my side, will this effect the mask staying on? How long did it take to get used to it?
It's like white noise. When I went back with the machine I slept like a baby 6 hours straight. Then my insurance wouldn't cover me because my sleep study of 90 min was too short. So I had to do the wires again. That time I slept for 55min. Horrible. They covered me after that.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I tried. I don't have time to do a detailed write up about it, but bottom line is I went back to CPAP because it didn't seem to work as well for me.
I tried cpap but couldn't get used to it. I'm a stomach sleeper which made it tough. Sometimes I couldn't fall asleep with it and others I would wake up three hours later feeling smothered.

I use a mouthpiece now called an EMA. I sleep a lot better than without and snoring reduced quite a bit. My cell-mate reports than I snore much less. However, I have never had the sleep study done to detect how affective it is against my apnea episodes; I suspect it is not as affective as the cpap was when I was able to fall asleep with it.

If you cannot tolerate cpap I highly recommend a mouthpiece. My dentist charged about $550 and insurance picked up my tab.

Similar here. Had pretty damn bad apnea. Never went for a study. Lost some el beez and am breathing / sleeping much better now. :thumbup:
So if weight is the issue, why do people like Percy Harvin and other athletes have it?

I know people love to blame weight for everything, but it's just not the case with Apnea.

:shrug:

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I tried cpap but couldn't get used to it. I'm a stomach sleeper which made it tough. Sometimes I couldn't fall asleep with it and others I would wake up three hours later feeling smothered.

I use a mouthpiece now called an EMA. I sleep a lot better than without and snoring reduced quite a bit. My cell-mate reports than I snore much less. However, I have never had the sleep study done to detect how affective it is against my apnea episodes; I suspect it is not as affective as the cpap was when I was able to fall asleep with it.

If you cannot tolerate cpap I highly recommend a mouthpiece. My dentist charged about $550 and insurance picked up my tab.
Your dental insurance or medical insurance?

So if weight is the issue, why do people like Percy Harvin and other athletes have it?

I know people love to blame weight for everything, but it's just not the case with Apnea.

:shrug:
For some people it is weight related, and being over-weight could also make a case worse than it otherwise would be. Also, a thick or muscular neck can have a similar effect on the airways while sleeping apparently. I'm certainly not svelte, but I am in pretty good shape. My Dr., trainers, etc all are surprised I have apnea because I'm not huge. The ENT guy said I have a bit of a swollen nasal passage, but nothing too bad and perhaps my neck is thick/muscular, but otherwise they don't have anything to really point to. I have my tonsils and all that jazz, but they aren't large either. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

Your dental insurance or medical insurance?
Dental coverage.

Went for a 2 part sleep study a couple weeks ago. Get there at 9PM, get wired up like a cyborg and told to OK, you can go to sleep now. I was like

LJ. All the wires and someone watching weirded me out. But I slept pretty normal (crappy).Then the next day they took some of the wires off and then every 2 hours I was to try and take a 15 minute nap. Before each nap you lie on the bed and the tech comes on the loud speaker and does the Look

left, look right, clench your teeth, etc. thing. I was thinking there was no way I'd sleep in the daytime like this, but I was oult like a light. Doc said it took me an average of 3.1 mins to fall asleep.

Mine is silent. I took me a few weeks to get used to it but it is TOTALLY worth getting used to! Stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread