What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the 2014 FF "Comeback player of the year"? (3 Viewers)

Shutout

Footballguy
It seems we have moaned and groaned more than usual this year about big expectations gone wrong with name players

(Crabtree/Harvin/TRICH/Spiller/Foster/Martin/Rice...well, any RB not named CHarles, Adp, McCoy, and Forte really) and the list goes on and on..

Who will be the fantasy comeback player fo the year next year?

I am thinking one of the most overlooked guys will be Foster because of his age and those compound injuries that hit after there was so much speculation of wear and tear. I think he will be overlooked because of that and because the Texans will probably look different and have ??s.

But Foster, with a year off basically and all patched up might show a pretty good resurgence. He was always at his best when he was written off so he is my pick.

Which players do you guys think?

Including injuries - Randall Cobb and Dennis Pitta

Not including injuries - Trent Richardson and Josh Freeman

Eli and RG3 are the first two names that came to me.
Good call. He's the #12 QB right now. He could be top 5 next year if he stays healthy for the off-season, they get a better #2 and Reed stays on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
PPR:

QB: RG3 stands out the most with his fantasy upside.

RB: D.Martin

WR: Harvin/Crabtree. Great teams with solid QBs. I excluded Julio/Cobb due to them being elite PPR WR's before injuries during the 2013 season.

TE: D.Allen

I'd take a look at Trent Round 7 or later, but he's not going to fall that far come draft time next year. Doug Martin is a terrific bounce back candidate with solid line ahead of him. Still wouldn't take him in 1st 2 rounds (which is where I believe he'll still go)

If you consider Rodgers missing 5-6 games or so as coming back...wouldn't he have the best shot.

Puts up MVP like numbers nearly every year...he gets hurt, the team goes in the tank? Comes back and puts up his usual numbers and the team is winning seems like he would be a shoe in?

Cobb and Harvin also good shots at it.

If ATL gets one of the 2 top TEs in the draft, then Matt Ryan. He will have a juicy schedule. incl the AFC South and will get Julio back.

If they fire KillDrive, then Gomer Manning should also bounce back. Every team they go against knows the plays and KillDrive can't adapt. Same plays since he got there.

PPR:

QB: RG3 stands out the most with his fantasy upside.

RB: D.Martin

WR: Harvin/Crabtree. Great teams with solid QBs. I excluded Julio/Cobb due to them being elite PPR WR's before injuries during the 2013 season.

TE: D.Allen

I'd take a look at Trent Round 7 or later, but he's not going to fall that far come draft time next year. Doug Martin is a terrific bounce back candidate with solid line ahead of him. Still wouldn't take him in 1st 2 rounds (which is where I believe he'll still go)
Nice list.

Just my personal tastes on TRICH but I think I am done with him. THere is just somehting not adding up for a guy that was supposed to be THAT good. I mean, we were talking about "greatest player since ADP, etc". If a guy is that good, I don't care if he only knew one play in the playbook, he should be better than he has shown. If I took Calvin and put him on the Jags tomorrow, I know he's not going to sink to these dreggs.

I think I am putting TRICH in the JSTEW class and would just feel better being wrong and not having him than being right and drafting him.

Are we counting injuries or no?

If not, RG3, Bowe, Nicks, TRich, Rice
Yeah, injuries are definitely fine. Although I think a lot of the injury guys are pretty much taken for granted they will rebound (Julio, Harvin, Rodgers) while others may have ???s (Crabtree, Foster, etc).

I want to say Foster, but as many pointed out, his 2012 season was so elite due to touches and TD's. YPC was up this year, but they went TE heavy in the red zone vs. handing the ball to Foster 3 times.

I'll say: RG3, Rice, Martin

Would TRich getting back to 3.6 ypc be counted as a bounce back?
That's actually a good point. If he came back and rushed for 1100/6 next year, he would still be viewed as a giant failure by most. THe bar is set and anything less than 1450/12 or so probably looks like a waste of time to most.

Non-injury comeback guys:

QB - RG3 (another yesr removed from ACL surgery and they will beef up the OL)

RB - Richardson (can't possibly have another year like this, right? And get's a full offseason to learn the playbook)

WR - Nicks (some people might think I'm crazy, but if he goes elsewhere, he could be a focal point of their offense)

TE - I don't think there is one.

Injury guys:

QB - Rodgers (no-brainer)

RB - Martin (seems forgotten now, but will be back in the top 5-10 next year)

WR - Julio (with Gonzalez gone and Roddy another year older, he'll really start to take off)

TE - Again, don't really see any here.

If ATL gets one of the 2 top TEs in the draft, then Matt Ryan. He will have a juicy schedule. incl the AFC South and will get Julio back.

If they fire KillDrive, then Gomer Manning should also bounce back. Every team they go against knows the plays and KillDrive can't adapt. Same plays since he got there.
Is it?

Panthers, Saints, Bucs should all have decent defenses, the NFC North could be good matchups as he'll likely have to throw a lot, I expect the AFC North to improve, and then a game against the NFC West (even the #4 team is good there) and NFC East.

Home Away

Carolina Carolina

New Orleans New Orleans

Tampa Bay Tampa Bay

Chicago Green Bay

Detroit (in London) Minnesota

Cleveland Baltimore

Pittsburgh Cincinnati

NFC West NFC East

I agree that Ryan should bounce back with a healthy Julio and Roddy (though he's likely in decline), but schedule isn't all that great.

I am a little surprised no one has mentioned CJ Spiller yet.
He is in the OP's list, but yeah, I am surprised to not see him more - not sure if it's because I have him, but he was my first thought.

I could see a scenario where he is basically in the situation many thought he would be in this year, but be available in the 2nd or early 3rd round this time around. I think a lot of people are going to hit him with the "injury prone" tag as well, despite him really just playing through the same injury for a few months now. A few good games to close out the season and I think the discount will start to disappear though.

There are a lot of good names in here, but I do think some of the guys like Julio and Rodgers will not be undervalued much in drafts as long as they appear healthy next August.

I am a little surprised no one has mentioned CJ Spiller yet.
He's clearly the best athetically gifted of the RB there, but I'm not counting out Fred Jackson [or even him and/or someone else] to play significant snaps. Too much changing out by Doug Marrone at RB. We see next to none of Spiller in red zone (even the now waived Tashard Choice seeing more work there)

JMO The price will still be too high on Spiller (2nd/3rd round) come next August. And I don't think things will change much as far as that team -- I think expect maybe a 6 win team. Manuel looks ok, but hasn't gotten a full year & has tons of growing yet to do for defenses to respect him.

My concerns with him are little physically (even well less than 100% he jumped off the screen in comparison to Jackson/Choice), but more with RB rotation (Jackson and/or another RB seeing many 3rd down/comeback mode snaps/all goalline snaps) and state of the team. I guess it depends on what round you expect him to be available.

I tend to disagree but I think that is a fair point - the biggest concern with Spiller will be Jackson IMO. I just keep expecting Jackson to go away and he won't - gotta respect how good he has still been. When they are both healthy the Bills have been run heavy enough to get Spiller his touches - he still has 161 touches so far, and that is with a game missed and a really lacking presence in the pass game (though this could be his own fault?). The red zone carries could be the difference between 7-8 TDs and 12-13 though, so that is a pretty noteworthy concern.

S Jax - surprises for one more really good year as the pieces fall into place (albeit a year later) in ATL. While his skills erode slightly, he goes for 1200 yards rushing, another 300 receiving and 12 TDs in a rare healthy year. Maybe take 10% off and he plays in 15 games, or really 14 1/2 but nothing serious.

Koya said:
S Jax - surprises for one more really good year as the pieces fall into place (albeit a year later) in ATL. While his skills erode slightly, he goes for 1200 yards rushing, another 300 receiving and 12 TDs in a rare healthy year. Maybe take 10% off and he plays in 15 games, or really 14 1/2 but nothing serious.
At this point, SJAX's skills would have to INCREASE to get back to 1200 and 12. He's not cooked but he can't have skills "erode" and still pull that off.

If I could draft the following team today for next season, I'm in:

QB: RGIII, Kaep

RB: Martin, TRich, Rice

WR: Cobb, Crab, Patterson, Wallace

TE: Cook

I'd see that going by round as follows:

1: Martin

2: Rice

3: Crab

4: Cobb

5:TRich

6: RGIII

7: Wallace

8: Kaep

9: Patterson

10: Cook

FUBAR said:
lod01 said:

Is it?
Oops. No it isn't. I thought he got the AFC South next year.

PPR League and Top 20 WR. Jeremy Maclin in that Eagles offense (assuming he is re-signed with the Birds).

I'll vote for Richardson.

Going a little deeper, if Santonio Holmes can stay healthy and focused (two very big ifs), he could have some value. He has become a forgotten man after these past two seasons. He's still in his athletic prime though and he certainly has the talent to put up top 20 WR numbers. The thing with him is that he always seems to find a way to disappoint. Either through injuries or a lack of effort. But he'll probably be cut from the Jets this offseason and if somebody like the Colts, Packers, Patriots, or Saints grabs him it could get very interesting.

Mike Vick if he's on another team.. the Jets need a qb in the worst way, same with Jags. I know it's a complete hypothetical, but...

I wouldnt touch Foster - the mileage has definitely caught up to him.

Andre Brown is the best Rb on the Giants roster and it isn't close..judging by his 2013 he'll be a very rb in '14, provided of course that he can stay healthy..

maybe M. Lattimore.

any hope for Amendola to turn it around in NE or was he a bust from the get-go?

since we can mention Andre Brown, we should be able to mention Gronk.

Users who are viewing this thread