What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the 2024 RB Class really that bad? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
No Bijan Robinson, Gibbs, Hall, etc., but some of these guys are going to provide fantasy value and a lot of them will fall past the WRs and QBs. I'm not going into any lengthy scouting report, you can do that yourself. Not really looking for complete scouting reports links posted on these guys, we have enough of those. Just some notes on a few.. There will be some surprises like there always is. Just look at Kyren Williams, James Cook, Isiah Pacheco, etc. Could it be someone like Bucky Irving or Dillon Johnson? Lloyd or Davis? Estime?

I personally like Jonathan Brooks the most, but he is coming off an ACL tear. What if Dallas drafts him in the 2nd round? He may or may not fall in the NFL draft because of his injury. His medicals will determine his draft capital most likely. He's a big mystery to me, but I like him.

Blake Corum to the Chargers? I wasn't a big fan until this year. He won't blow any 80 yard runs by you, but he proved to be a very good RB.

Trey Benson - Good long speed and quickness for his size 6'1" 223. Wasn't as productive as I would like. In 2020 Benson tore his anterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament, lateral meniscus, medial meniscus, and another tendon. I'm not as high on him as I was several months ago, but that could change with landing spot. 6 games under 4 yards per carry in 2023 and a horrible game against a bad LSU defense and never seemed to be the best player on the filed. High bust risk IMO.

Braelon Allen - Not a huge fan, A huge back with talent. and nifty feet. Just not in the receiving game. Comp = Dillon

Audric Estime - Has strength and good contact balance, but not much as a receiver or long speed. Even as a ND fan I didn't see him enough to make a good analysis.

Bucky Irving - James Cook anyone? UPDATED 4/24/2024 - Horrible combine will cause him to drop in rookie drafts.

Ray Davis - As a UK fan I'm a homer for Davis. He was productive at Vandy before UK and is a bowling ball that can catch

Marshawn Lloyd - A lot of hype lately at the Senior Bowl

Will Shipley - Star sure faded didn't it?

Dillon Johnson - I like him. 6'0 218, 1,195 yards and 16 touchdowns and a 256 yard 4 TD game against USC. I think people are forgetting about Johnson due to Washington's passing attack.

Yes, on the surface this class looks weak, so go out there and find a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
I think better than most people are talking about

My mocks for my home league have these guys dropping from pick 17 to 38 and just feels like value when I put them in. With SF, you have 6 QBs more than likely gone by pick 16 and a Rattler or Pratt May fall in the 24-36 range. The TEs especially in Premium will have top 6 guy and then another in top 15 picks. Then you might have a Stover, Sinnott type go in round 2. Then throw in outstanding WR class(11guys chance to be in top 18 of my draft) and the RBs are just dropping to value points. I think 4 of these guys will be solid RBs. When you look at the top 20 guys now, how many highly rated. Hall, Bijan, McCaffery(but age now), Taylor, Gibbs, Etienne, Barkley, Walker, Jacobs, Mixon the most highly decorated coming in. Rest are late or FA pickups. Room for this class to have an impact for sure At great price point.

You forgot Trey Benson who I think in right situation can be solid pro.

My mocks for my home league have these guys dropping from pick 17 to 38 and just feels like value when I put them in. With SF, you have 6 QBs more than likely gone by pick 16 and a Rattler or Pratt May fall in the 24-36 range. The TEs especially in Premium will have top 6 guy and then another in top 15 picks. Then you might have a Stover, Sinnott type go in round 2. Then throw in outstanding WR class(11guys chance to be in top 18 of my draft) and the RBs are just dropping to value points. I think 4 of these guys will be solid RBs. When you look at the top 20 guys now, how many highly rated. Hall, Bijan, McCaffery(but age now), Taylor, Gibbs, Etienne, Barkley, Walker, Jacobs, Mixon the most highly decorated coming in. Rest are late or FA pickups. Room for this class to have an impact for sure At great price point.

Crap, I did forget Benson and he was at one time my top RB. Not any longer however.

Last edited:
I usually don't like the 190 lb guys, but Bucky Irving is the most intriguing player to me. James Cook comparison makes me feel this way. Perhaps a good 3rd round selection in dynasty drafts.

Crap, I did forget Benson and he was at one time my top RB. Not any longer however.
Landing spot will be huge in who I take in draft. Because these RBs look like late 2nd to early 4th round picks. I will leave behind the guy who has competition because no one really stands out

Landing spot will be huge in who I take in draft. Because these RBs look like late 2nd to early 4th round picks. I will leave behind the guy who has competition because no one really stands out
A good example of that from last year is Israel Abanikanda. I love him as a player, but had to be the worst landing spot. I won't make that mistake in my dynasty drafts this year, not on these RBs for sure.

Estime would be great in Buffalo. Or any team that has a speedy type RB in place and is looking for a ground and pound, goal line guy. But he isnt just that, he has long speed, great feet, balance. He wont wow anyone running a 4.4, but he is fast enough. He was never really asked to catch the ball at ND. So that is a question. I took him in a sleeper best ball. But yes, landing spot is key. I could see him being a workhorse in Carolina, but that might produce much FF wise.

Does Blake Corum remind anyone of Aaron Jones? Not the biggest guy or the fastest, but is physical for his size. Other than long speed his game seems to be well rounded.

Good year to have picks 12-25 if you're looking to take some cheaper punts on RB's I think.
Agree.

This class is going to feel like the 2022 draft class for RB's if you could were not in a position to draft Breece or Walker.

You had James Cook going mid to late round one after the big two. Then sometimes at end of round one but usually not till beginning of round two a bunch of RB's started flying off the draft boards. I was saying at the time it was one of the better looking early round two drafts for RB dart throws I could recall, had a strong top end WR class and weaker non-strong pedigreed RB draft class working in unison and a lot of those same factors will be at play this year and I see the rookie drafts unfolding similarly.

Good year to have picks 12-25 if you're looking to take some cheaper punts on RB's I think.
Agree.

This class is going to feel like the 2022 draft class for RB's if you could were not in a position to draft Breece or Walker.

You had James Cook going mid to late round one after the big two. Then sometimes at end of round one but usually not till beginning of round two a bunch of RB's started flying off the draft boards. I was saying at the time it was one of the better looking early round two drafts for RB dart throws I could recall, had a strong top end WR class and weaker non-strong pedigreed RB draft class working in unison and a lot of those same factors will be at play this year and I see the rookie drafts unfolding similarly.
I hope I don’t draft a Isiah Spiller clone.

I was saying at the time it was one of the better looking early round two drafts for RB dart throws
It's also, given the current way the position is valued, where you want to be taking your shots right now also. Obviously will need to see where the draft takes them, but dropping a single digit pick on some/most of these guys would feel bad.

RB's by far my biggest need and I have four picks between 11 and 24 (SF), question is whether I roll the dice on any of the rookies or try to trade a pick and go for a 1-2 year known quantity rental instead

It is not a great RB class, for certain, but there are still some intriguing players. Trey Benson has had some health concerns, but he has perhaps the best overall skill set. Jonathan Brooks may begin his NFL career on the mend, but he is an intriguing back with a gliding running style reminiscent of Aaron Jones. Bucky Irving is a bit undersized, but he is fun to watch. With the success of some smaller backs recently, his stock has gone up. Blake Corum is a proven back. I don't expect he will post a fast forty time, but he can churn out yards. I have soured a bit on Braelon Allen, but he is young and powerful. The strength of this RB class, perhaps, is in the mid-to-late rounds. There are some interesting prospects to consider later in your drafts, and if they land in the right situations, perhaps they can hit.

I sure hope 3-4 RBs get a boost after the draft. I'd been assuming a couple of my own rookie targets would fall to 1.12/2.2... particularly in my 1QB/RB-wh*ring dynasty. It's a little alarming seeing 2-3QB/7-8WR/1TE mocks.

From a mile-high view, it’s worth mentioning that the 2023 WR class was allegedly an all-time bad group.

Yet here we are in 2024, and JSN, Addison, Rashee Rice, Puka Nacua, Tank Dell, and Zay Flowers all showed plenty in the NFL.

So when I hear all the talk about this awful RB class, it strikes me that a lot of how good a RB is has to do with what team drafts them and how they use them.

I will have to wait until after the NFL draft to decide how I feel about this group.

I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan. Pollard is not the answer. Blake Corum is round #2 is a smash. He’d run for 1100 and 10 right off the bat.

Don’t sleep on this class. By opportunity alone, two or three players will have value in year #1.

This sort of reminds me of the 2019 RB class when none seemed to be all that great. Josh jacobs was the prize but only because he was drafted in the first round but he wasn’t really all that inspiring even as a first round pick. But miles sanders, devin singletary, David Montgomery, Alexander mattison, Damien Harris, Darrell Henderson, tony pollard and more all carved out roles and have had their moments in the nfl. There will be opportunities for some of the guys drafted this year we just need to sift thru their landing spots and opportunities in each to figure out who will have the most of them

So when I hear all the talk about this awful RB class, it strikes me that a lot of how good a RB is has to do with what team drafts them and how they use them.

I will have to wait until after the NFL draft to decide how I feel about this group.
Agree with this take wholeheartedly. Because there does not appear to be top-tier talent at the position, landing spot is going to be of paramount importance (not like it isn't always, of course). And because RB is perhaps the most fungible position, none of these guys have to be a top tier talent anyway if they land in a good situation. If one of these better RBs lands up behind entrenched guys like Breece Hall, Bijan or Taylor, I want no part of them unless as a late round handcuff. But if they get drafted behind, say, a Henry, Conner, or Aaron Jones, I'd be more intrigued longer term.

Agree with this take wholeheartedly. Because there does not appear to be top-tier talent at the position, landing spot is going to be of paramount importance (not like it isn't always, of course). And because RB is perhaps the most fungible position, none of these guys have to be a top tier talent anyway if they land in a good situation. If one of these better RBs lands up behind entrenched guys like Breece Hall, Bijan or Taylor, I want no part of them unless as a late round handcuff. But if they get drafted behind, say, a Henry, Conner, or Aaron Jones, I'd be more intrigued longer term.
I believe Brooks could be a top-shelf guy in 2025, not 2024, due to his injury. Having said that, I agree with you about the rest of them, but someone will get in the right situation and be fantasy relevant. That much I'm almost certain.

Jaylen wright had a good 40 time
Yep he’s the one guy right now that is interesting to me. Maybe Gibbs light?
What about Lloyd, no interest in late first/early 2nd? He is running pretty well
4.46 at 220 is nice as was Benson's 4.39.

Actually thought the top end RB's, at least my top end RB's, acquitted themselves very favorably in the 40.
yeah testing is good, I just look at their college careers and am underwhelmed. Blake is obviously the exception there but I was worried he would a dud in the testing. He might surprise me here though.

What about Lloyd, no interest in late first/early 2nd? He is running pretty well

Actually thought the top end RB's, at least my top end RB's, acquitted themselves very favorably in the 40.
yeah testing is good, I just look at their college careers and am underwhelmed. Blake is obviously the exception there but I was worried he would a dud in the testing. He might surprise me here though.
Your comment came during the combine, that is why I was referring to those stats.

Your comment came during the combine, that is why I was referring to those stats.
Yeah makes sense. I am a little behind on my prep and am catching up this weekend. The athletic are good but then when I look up all these guys I am miffed at how weak their college careers were.

Yeah makes sense. I am a little behind on my prep and am catching up this weekend. The athletic are good but then when I look up all these guys I am miffed at how weak their college careers were.
Understand where you are coming from but relative to what I thought about the class before today, I'm a little more encouraged, the main RB's I had interest in did nothing to disappoint me. Felt like they all met or exceeded my expectations.

Two guys were sub-4.4. If you put any stock in the combine times (and I do) then that's remarkable and should bump those guys up to at least the top 75. Benson and Wright just improved their stock dramatically. Now, I don't know the finer points of them as running backs, but the testing times are something else for these two guys.

The more I look at the measurements and testing, the more I'm impressed with this RB class's athleticism. They certainly made a case for themselves, that's for sure. Now we see where the top guys land. Ray Davis ran a 4.53 at 211 lbs., and that's pretty darn good. MarShawn Lloyd ran a 4.46 at 220 lbs. and Isaac Guerendo killed it with a 4.33 at 221 lbs. Good for them. Those last two are outstanding times for those weights.

Nothing to sneeze at here, really. Is rookie fever hitting? I don't know. It seems that these guys tested better than the vaunted class of last year and the class the year before. We'll see how the NFL feels.

His college resume is pretty weak for a 23 year old. He’s for sure got the build and athleticism to play pro ball but I just wonder why he didn’t do more.
  • MarShawn Lloyd carried only 116 times but he ranked No. 1 in broken tackle percentage (24%) and yards after contact per attempt (4.25). That was after posting impressive evasion numbers in his final year at South Carolina. Due to his recruiting profile, sky high evasion (37%) and boom (18%) rates, and intriguing receiving numbers.
I’m buying where ever I can.

Tex

• MarShawn Lloyd carried only 116 times but he ranked No. 1 in broken tackle percentage (24%) and yards after contact per attempt (4.25). That was after posting impressive evasion numbers in his final year at South Carolina. Due to his recruiting profile, sky high evasion (37%) and boom (18%) rates, and intriguing receiving numbers.
Any concerns about the 8 college fumbles? I've wondered if there is any history of prospects solving college fumbling issues, because it's a definite doghouse risk.

Any concerns about the 8 college fumbles? I've wondered if there is any history of prospects solving college fumbling issues, because it's a definite doghouse risk.

His highlights are the best in this class, imo. His lowlights cost him playing time and are concerning. His Senior Bowl and now combine have generated a lot of positive momentum. Backs are just so dependent on their teammates, I don't care until I know who they are. But, gun to head... this is my favorite RB in the class.

Users who are viewing this thread