What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (2 Viewers)

Anybody catch today's presser? Mikey Miss saying Kelly did not give Foles a complete endorsement. In a bizarre twist, Missinelli is now on Foles side but seemed to intimate that Kelly wants competition next year. That doesn't make sense to me...
I'm listening to Mikey Miss now and he definitely is not completely sold on Foles. For some reason, he has this obsession with scrambling QBs.
Elite QB's in the NFL: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Dree Brees, Aaron Rogers.

Other QB's who have won the Super Bowl: Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco

Scrambling/Running QB's among that bunch: 0
QB's of the top 3 teams (record wise) in the NFC:

Wilson

Newton

Kap

They may not have super bowls yet, but they're young, have taken their teams far already, and are the next wave of elite qb's in our league.

Not saying its needed though and I'd still rather Foles over a scrambling QB.... but in the last few years this type of QB has started to have amazing success in the league and it's a matter of time before they start winning titles.

Anybody catch today's presser? Mikey Miss saying Kelly did not give Foles a complete endorsement. In a bizarre twist, Missinelli is now on Foles side but seemed to intimate that Kelly wants competition next year. That doesn't make sense to me...
I'm listening to Mikey Miss now and he definitely is not completely sold on Foles. For some reason, he has this obsession with scrambling QBs.

Other QB's who have won the Super Bowl: Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco

QB's of the top 3 teams (record wise) in the NFC:Wilson

Newton

Kap

They may not have super bowls yet, but they're young, have taken their teams far already, and are the next wave of elite qb's in our league.

Not saying its needed though and I'd still rather Foles over a scrambling QB.... but in the last few years this type of QB has started to have amazing success in the league and it's a matter of time before they start winning titles.
I think guys like Foles and Luck are just as likely to become elite as the guys you listed. Also, what else do those 3 QBs have in common? That's right--an elite defense.......

QB's of the top 3 teams (record wise) in the NFC:Wilson

Newton

Kap

I think guys like Foles and Luck are just as likely to become elite as the guys you listed. Also, what else do those 3 QBs have in common? That's right--an elite defense.......
Yes their defense play a massive part in their record, but I'm pretty sure Flacco and Eli and Ben's defenses had something to do with their titles too.

I agree Foles and Luck have as good chance, and I'm not discounting good pocket passers, but we shouldn't be discounting good running qbs like Kap/Wilson/Newton either. Without those guys, those teams wouldn't be where they are today. Having a rushing qb over a pocket passer has its advantages and disadvantages... I don't think you can say either one is necessarily better.

Do you think Riley Cooper played his last spap as a Eagle? Sucks to go out like that.
I'm not really sure, I don't think that he'll be too highly regarded as a free agent. Especially since he was considered a journeyman type of a guy before this season and I expect a lot of people to devalue his production as a product of the system. I think he can be re-signed to a reasonable/good value deal and I doubt he Eagles have soured on him. Ditto with Maclin since he's been oft-injured, I bet he'll be looking to sign a 1 one year deal to prove himself and get a big contract in 2015 unless someone is already willing to pay big this year. Would love to see the Eagles be the team that signs him to that type of a "prove it" contract and get good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think Riley Cooper played his last spap as a Eagle? Sucks to go out like that.
I don't think so. I believe we can meet the price he'd get on the FA market and he's a nice fit here. It would make sense for both side to get a 3 year deal IMO.

If they could get Maclin back at a reasonable price, bounce Avant and add a Martavis Bryant in round 2 that would be amazing. I'd even take that scanerio without bringing back Maclin actually.

As long as Maclin isn't the only addition I would gladly have him back. But I wouldn't rely on a WR that's blown up the same knee twice. He needs to be a surprise contributor, not someone we're relying on from the start of camp.

I'd offer Cooper 3/10, Maclin 1/3 with incentives. IMO the biggest question is whether Avant comes back. Everyone is quick to cut him and his on field performance may justify it. However he is a locker room leader for the offense on a young team without many. Not sure Foles is ready for it and I'm a little fearful handing that responsibility to McCoy or Jackson. What Avant brings behind the scenes might be worth bringing him back.

I'd offer Cooper 3/10, Maclin 1/3 with incentives. IMO the biggest question is whether Avant comes back. Everyone is quick to cut him and his on field performance may justify it. However he is a locker room leader for the offense on a young team without many. Not sure Foles is ready for it and I'm a little fearful handing that responsibility to McCoy or Jackson. What Avant brings behind the scenes might be worth bringing him back.
I don't care if its Cunningham, Johnson, Maehl, Smith or Avant. We need a guy with upside behind Jackson and Cooper if he's resigned.

Cataldi actually made a point this morning. Foles spent an entire season proving his naysayers wrong. He had the 3rd best statistical season ever. He went into his first playoff game labeled as the worst qb in the playoffs by some pundits. He then proceeds to bring his team back from a 20-7 deficit to take the lead with 4:40 left to play and the back page of the Daily News leads with a headline of "Qb of the future?" the next day. What does the guy have to do?

Cataldi actually made a point this morning. Foles spent an entire season proving his naysayers wrong. He had the 3rd best statistical season ever. He went into his first playoff game labeled as the worst qb in the playoffs by some pundits. He then proceeds to bring his team back from a 20-7 deficit to take the lead with 4:40 left to play and the back page of the Daily News leads with a headline of "Qb of the future?" the next day. What does the guy have to do?
Who cares though? I don't think I was a hater of his to start but I certainly wasn't a believer. He has certainly proven me wrong. But he also seems like he doesn't care what people think or in some cases, uses it as motivation. He seems perfect for the Philly media b/c all he seemingly cares about is winning and getting better. Critical of his own game and not looking for recognition. If anything, I think the questioning of his game will just make him that much more motivated.

I don't think so. I believe we can meet the price he'd get on the FA market and he's a nice fit here. It would make sense for both side to get a 3 year deal IMO.

If they could get Maclin back at a reasonable price, bounce Avant and add a Martavis Bryant in round 2 that would be amazing. I'd even take that scanerio without bringing back Maclin actually.
I think they will because he will be a "bargain". I think they go into the off season try to resign Maclin & Cooper, cut Avant, sign a FA safety, draft a WR, LB/DE and a couple of secondary players. I really do not want to see Chung on this team next year and I would be really happy if we could upgrade Allen as well.

I would be shocked if Avant isn't back. Not so much for his on field production, but more for his locker room presence.

I don't think so. I believe we can meet the price he'd get on the FA market and he's a nice fit here. It would make sense for both side to get a 3 year deal IMO.If they could get Maclin back at a reasonable price, bounce Avant and add a Martavis Bryant in round 2 that would be amazing. I'd even take that scanerio without bringing back Maclin actually.
I think they will because he will be a "bargain". I think they go into the off season try to resign Maclin & Cooper, cut Avant, sign a FA safety, draft a WR, LB/DE and a couple of secondary players. I really do not want to see Chung on this team next year and I would be really happy if we could upgrade Allen as well.
Safty should also be a priority. Nate Allen played his best ball, but like you said we still need a upgrade. Wolff has starter talent, but he couldn't stay healthy. I understand what they were trying to do with Phillips and Chung but it didn't work out. Another set of high upside FA and draftpicks should do the trick. If not we can start talking about a curse from letting go of B-Dawk. I'm not a C. Williams fan at all. Fletcher is no better than Williams. They can tackle but they can't cover worth ####. Boykins is a stud in the slot. We definitly need to adrees the secondary.

I doubt we will find anyone better than Graham or Cole.

I'm thinking of possible free agent acquisitions and what we were looking for last year. I'm still not sure who I think we target, but I wanted to post some of our acquisitions from last season and try to look for any patterns. It looks like we targeted players from hard nosed defenses, but Kenny Philips in there threw me off. My guess is we want safeties 5'11" or taller, corners 6'0" or taller, OLBs 6'1" or taller (idk about Phillips though, might have been picked up just for special teams - Barwin is much taller - I doubt we draft someone shorter than 6'2" as an OLB), and DL's 6'2" or taller.

Isaac Sopoaga - NT - SF - 6'2" - 330

Cary Williams - CB - BAL - 6'1" - 190

Connor Barwin - OLB - HOU - 6'4" - 264

Bradley Fletcher CB - STL - 6'0" - 200

Kenny Philips - S - NYG -

Patrick Chung - S - NE - 5'11" - 210

James Casey - TE - HOU - 6'3" - 240

Jason Philips - OLB - CAR - 6'1" - 240

--------------------------

Earl Wolffe - 5'11"

draft picks and udfa's - defensive linemen were all 6'2" or taller (Square 6'2", Kruger, 6'6", Logan 6'2")

----------------------------

Not sure if we targeted guys from tough defenses on purpose, but if that is true, here's a list of a few non top tier guys we could potentially target at positions of need.

Safeties

Bernard Pollard - 6'1" - 29

Donte Whitner - 5'10" - 28

Thinking out loud here. Guesses with these guys. I think they're a bit on the older side and Whitner is probably a little shorter than we'd like. I also don't believe he's great in coverage and could be just a slight upgrade over Chung. I honestly don't think either of these guys fit exactly what we're looking for, but we could take a shot if we get a decent bargain. I'll have to look at other possibilities based on the list of free agents this year.

OLBs

Jason Worilds - PIT - 25 - 6'2"

Anthony Spencer - DAL - 29 - 6'3"

I think both of these guys fit what we are looking for. Worilds has the measurables we are looking for and the age we like 26/27/28 years old to grow with this team. He's also from a team with a hard nosed background which is what we seemingly were looking for last year.

Anthony Spencer seems like an injury special that we've been known for taking chances on. Reminds me of the Kenny Philips signing from last year. But he was one of the best 3-4 OLB's in the league a few years ago and has experience in a 3-4 system.

------

I also hear Woodley could be released as a cap casualty.

Lamarr Woodley - PIT - 29 - 6'2"

Always been a fan of Woodley. Seems like a solid do all 3-4 OLB that can drop back or rush the passer. Reminds me of a versatile guy like Barwin that does his job but doesn't rush the passer like an elite player that can be a gamechanger.
After looking at a few of these guys, my guess is we take a shot at Spencer or Worilds depending on their asking prices.

Late225 said:
I'm thinking of possible free agent acquisitions and what we were looking for last year. I'm still not sure who I think we target, but I wanted to post some of our acquisitions from last season and try to look for any patterns. It looks like we targeted players from hard nosed defenses, but Kenny Philips in there threw me off. My guess is we want safeties 5'11" or taller, corners 6'0" or taller, OLBs 6'1" or taller (idk about Phillips though, might have been picked up just for special teams - Barwin is much taller - I doubt we draft someone shorter than 6'2" as an OLB), and DL's 6'2" or taller.

Earl Wolffe - 5'11"

draft picks and udfa's - defensive linemen were all 6'2" or taller (Square 6'2", Kruger, 6'6", Logan 6'2")

Not sure if we targeted guys from tough defenses on purpose, but if that is true, here's a list of a few non top tier guys we could potentially target at positions of need.

Safeties

Thinking out loud here. Guesses with these guys. I think they're a bit on the older side and Whitner is probably a little shorter than we'd like. I also don't believe he's great in coverage and could be just a slight upgrade over Chung. I honestly don't think either of these guys fit exactly what we're looking for, but we could take a shot if we get a decent bargain. I'll have to look at other possibilities based on the list of free agents this year.

OLBs

I think both of these guys fit what we are looking for. Worilds has the measurables we are looking for and the age we like 26/27/28 years old to grow with this team. He's also from a team with a hard nosed background which is what we seemingly were looking for last year.

Anthony Spencer seems like an injury special that we've been known for taking chances on. Reminds me of the Kenny Philips signing from last year. But he was one of the best 3-4 OLB's in the league a few years ago and has experience in a 3-4 system.

------

Always been a fan of Woodley. Seems like a solid do all 3-4 OLB that can drop back or rush the passer. Reminds me of a versatile guy like Barwin that does his job but doesn't rush the passer like an elite player that can be a gamechanger.
After looking at a few of these guys, my guess is we take a shot at Spencer or Worilds depending on their asking prices.
I enjoyed this breakdown.

Late225 said:

Earl Wolffe - 5'11"

Safeties

OLBs

------

If Worlids was any good, Pitt wouldn't let him go.

Late225 said:

Earl Wolffe - 5'11"

Safeties

OLBs

------

I dont know if that applies to them. They seem to churn out LBers and have no issues letting good ones leave.

As far as the breakdown "Big people beat up little people"

Deamon said:
Billy Bats said:
I would be shocked if Avant isn't back. Not so much for his on field production, but more for his locker room presence.
Ya, hopefully Chip values this more then they did by letting Dawk go
Sounded like he does from his presser, sang Avant's praises which is why I think he's back. He had a lot to with settling the Cooper comments and wasn't afraid to get in Deseans face a few weeks back on the sideline. Seems like a Chip guy.

@Jeff_McLane: #Eagles GM Howie Roseman said on 94-WIP the #Dolphins have not reached out to talk to VP of Player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM job.

There's not too many posts from the Eagles Messageboard that are worth posting here, but I really enjoyed this one.... (posted by austinfan)

I think this offseason we really see Chip's vision of his ideal personnel.

RB - he likes quickness and power, and already has a nice group, maybe a fast scatback type, and let Polk/Tucker fight it out for the tough interior runner.

WR - I don't think Chip really loves speed, he likes it, but other qualities are as important. Length, hands and run blocking, which may be why he collects "tweener" TEs. The way he moves WRs around there's not a big role for a Welker type slot WR, and while he likes to stretch the field vertically he also likes to dictate personnel, so a guy like Cooper going long forces a different matchup than a smaller WR who allows you to go with a nickel defense (you don't want a 180 lb CB matched up against Cooper or Avant on run plays). The fact they traded for Benn, added Cunningham and Salas gives you a sense of what they might like. Chip used a lot of WRs in roles at Oregon, but Maehl was his reception leader in six years there. I think hands are really important, because he wants to be efficient, and nothing hurts like dropped passes. And guys who can win jump balls are always open even when they're covered.

TEs - Chip seems to like H-back and tweeners more than traditional TEs, his blocking TE was Celek, who has improved his blocking, but won't be confused with Kleinsasser anytime soon. He wants his TEs to block, but he doesn't look for mini-OTs, more guys who can slow down a DE and hit targets on the second level. So better blockers than Graham or Finley. Ertz just might be the ideal Chip TE. And guys who can do everything, which is why Casey is a good bet to stick, FB, H-back, can hit moving targets and has good hands.

OL - athletes with enough power for Stoutland's inside zone blocking. I doubt you'll see them draft anyone who runs worse than 1.75 in their 10 yard splits or looks awkward in the drills, because OGs have to hit targets on the second level while OTs have to be able to play all along the line (since they get lined up in those goofy formations all the time).

DL - I think DE puts a premium on lanky guys with long arms and good upper body strength, Thornton is actually a little short and I could see them adding another 3-4 DE and rotating him inside with Logan rather than adding a NT. Cox is the template, Richardson on the Jets. Ideally 6'4 to 6'5, 310 lbs, 34" arms, bench at least 25 reps, run 5.0 or better and very fluid. If Kruger can really get to 290-295 lbs by camp without slowing down he's close to this template.

LB - Length on the outside (as Barwin shows, it allows you to take throwing lanes away from the QB on the short sideline passes, which lets your CBs to play off), explosive quickness on the inside (why Goode jumped ahead of the pack as a backup). Similar to the Steelers, I think they would like all their LBs to be effective blitzers, so teams can't depend on an ILB to drop in coverage all the time.

CB - I don't think it's a coincidence that they signed two 6'1 CBs and tried to sign 6'2 Keenan Lewis. And that they brought in a 6'1 210 lb safety and drafted a 5'11 210 lb safety with 4.41 speed and brought up another safety who was 6'0 210 lbs (Keelan Johnson) with 4.45 speed. Although Chung didn't work out, safeties with size and speed not only can cover more ground, they're perfect for ST duty. Which is why I think Carmichael, Coleman and Anderson are on shaky ground, and while they may bring Marsh to camp.
Also - I didn't realized Byrd and Ward both went to Oregon. I sort of dismissed them when they were considered the top tier safeties available, and Byrd, potentially, as one of the biggest names in free agency. I think they're both on the short side for what Chip would like, but they both fit in the age range of most of our free agent acquisitions from last year.

Just got a PFF subscription for Christmas and looking at some of the Eagles' numbers this year.

Overall, their offensive rating was 174.7, just behind the Broncos (180.2), and well ahead of the Saints (149.4). Fourth was the Bengals at 99.9, so the offense was really just phenomenal.

This was largely due to the run blocking rating of 100.2, dwarfing SF at number 2 with 37.9!

Foles also was their number 1 QB, slightly ahead of Manning.

Just got a PFF subscription for Christmas and looking at some of the Eagles' numbers this year.

Overall, their offensive rating was 174.7, just behind the Broncos (180.2), and well ahead of the Saints (149.4). Fourth was the Bengals at 99.9, so the offense was really just phenomenal.

This was largely due to the run blocking rating of 100.2, dwarfing SF at number 2 with 37.9!

When you have a moment can you see how our defense was on a per play basis as well as who our best DB's were?

When you have a moment can you see how our defense was on a per play basis as well as who our best DB's were?
DBs

Corners

Boykin 9.1 (#14 overall rated CB)

Bradley Fletcher 2.4

Cary Williams -4.2

Safeties

Allen -2.7

Wolff -3.2

Chung -7.0

Keep in mind, this should always be taken with a grain of Salt. They list Cortland Finnegan as the second worst corner at #109 with a -19.7

20th overall defense. Overall grade of 9.1. Our run defense was our best category at 41.3, or 11th best in the league. Pass Rush was -21.4 (21st), Pass Coverage was -28.8 (22nd) , penalty was 18 (11th).

DBs

Corners

Boykin 9.1 (#14 overall rated CB)

Bradley Fletcher 2.4

Cary Williams -4.2

Safeties

Allen -2.7

Wolff -3.2

Chung -7.0

Keep in mind, this should always be taken with a grain of Salt. They list Cortland Finnegan as the second worst corner at #109 with a -19.7
I'm not saying that PFF has to be the gold standard, but why do you think Cortland Finnegan is better than that?

Would not mind a sign and trade deal for Bryd if he is healthy an motivated. Buffalo can still franchise him again, but is not going to get the most out of him if they do that, Maybe a 4th. (although they may get that as compensation anyway, not sure).

Pitt will try to keep Worilds as a top priority. If they do, Woodley is likely gone after the June 1st cuts.

Woodley is good/great, but he has gotten worse every year, primarily because of conditioning and speed. He will turn 30 late this year. But I could see him rebounding easily.

FTR, this was inaccurate. I apparently had the wrong sort on.

Foles was actually surprisingly low by their grading, at number 16.

FTR, this was inaccurate. I apparently had the wrong sort on.

Foles was actually surprisingly low by their grading, at number 16.
There's a difference between their signature stats quarterback rating and their positional quarterback rating. I don't fully understand the difference, but with one he is #1, and with the other, he is #16.

Users who are viewing this thread