What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

OK it is barely 20 degrees outside today but I am attempting the Asian style ribs (they are cooking right now) Here are the steps I am taking and general recipe:

1) butcher ribs to the style you like and remove membrane.

2) make marinade: soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, garlic, sriracha sauce

3) marinate ribs for 2 hours

4) make foil tea packet: cut up 7 bags of tea, fresh ginger, brown sugar, orange peel and uncooked rice

5) set up egg for 250 indirect and put foil packet with slits on hot coals

6) cook ribs for 3 hours

7) wrap ribs in foil with an apple sauce, sriracha sauce mix, cook for 1 hour

8) heat glaze on stove top: garlic, ginger, teriyaki, pineapple juice and a little brown sugar, heat until all blended

9) after ribs have cooked one hour in foil, take out of foil and let cook unfoiled for one more hour

10) add glaze during last 30 minutes, finishing off with one coat of glaze during the end

While not as aromatically strong as cooking with wood, I can definitely smell the tea smoking in the cold air.
Update? :pics:
I was over all very happy.

I changed 3 variables from my normal technique

1) used tea instead of wood

2) used a marinade instead of a dry rub

3) used an applesauce mixture instead of honey during the foil stage

The flavor of the tea smoke was very mild (which my wife very much liked as the wood smoke can be overpowering for her even when I use a small chunk

I got a much much more pronounced smoke ring than normal. I don't know if that has to do with the marinade or the tea

I did not like the applesauce mixture. It did not break down as I expected it would. I am going back to honey during the foil stage

The glaze was great but took some time to balance the sugar, juice and base teriyaki to get it how I wanted.

I was very happy how long the one tea packet I made continued to produce smoke. It was still putting out a small amount after the 5 hours was up.

I was more than happy enough to use tea again and to try it on different meats with other flavor profiles. I don't think the tea smoke always needs to be paired with Asian flavors as it appears to be mild enough to go with any flavor profile.

Overall I would recommend the tea for anyone looking for a milder smoke flavor than your normal fruit wood provides.

Does anyone get a black liquid that comes off the daisy wheel and runs down the front of the egg?
That's normal. It's not really coming off the daisy wheel exactly. It is accumulated soot+moisture. Usually means you are due for a good burn out and cleaning. To prevent this some put a thin gasket around the chimney.

Took 10lbs of pork belly from Whole Foods and turned into bliss/bacon. If I could link some pics at work, I would. Used a brown sugar mixture with pink curing salt. Took about 12 days start to finish. I've already given most of it away but this is the way to go if you have an egg, never buy bacon again :thumbup:

ETA: Has anyone bought the Digiq DX2? I have a good feeling that is going to be under the tree soon. MY family is very smart, hook me up with everything and they reap half the reward anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took 10lbs of pork belly from Whole Foods and turned into bliss/bacon. If I could link some pics at work, I would. Used a brown sugar mixture with pink curing salt. Took about 12 days start to finish. I've already given most of it away but this is the way to go if you have an egg, never buy bacon again :thumbup:
You know if I had confidence in my slicing ability I would do this. What steps did you take?

You know if I had confidence in my slicing ability I would do this. What steps did you take?
In short:

Mix cure (I used some pink curing salt to be safe) and apply liberally.

Place into ziplock bags in fridge, try not to open door too much (second fridge helps)

Turn/flip every other day.

Take out when it doesn't feel like a bag of worms (usually after 7 days).

Rinse well, especially if you used a salty cure.

Place back into fridge overnight.

Take out and smoke the meat until 150.

Back into fridge for 12-24 hours.

Slice. (I bought a $100 slicer on Amazon, works extremely well).

Fry.

Eat.

Rejoice.

Did a lamb shoulder last night. Underrated cut and great on the egg.
Recipe?

My pops has been bothering me to do such a cut of meat.
Nothing special at all. Did a wet rub of olive oil salt, pepper, and ground rosemary and garlic. 250 until it is tender and the bone pulls out. Takes 3.5-4 hours for a normal sized one, they aren't that big really.
do you remember what the internal temp was by any chance when you removed it from the Egg?

Did a lamb shoulder last night. Underrated cut and great on the egg.
Recipe?

My pops has been bothering me to do such a cut of meat.
Nothing special at all. Did a wet rub of olive oil salt, pepper, and ground rosemary and garlic. 250 until it is tender and the bone pulls out. Takes 3.5-4 hours for a normal sized one, they aren't that big really.
do you remember what the internal temp was by any chance when you removed it from the Egg?
It was nearer to 200 in parts of it. At 190 the bone tends to still be in there pretty firm, but if you want it to be more like gyro than pulled lamb you could certainly pull it at that point and slice it in strips.

Today I am doing a Pork Loin Rib Roast.

For those unfamiliar with this cut, it is a mixture of the pork loin and babyback ribs. I have about 7 ribs on this roast, total weight of about 3.25 pounds.

Procedure

*There is a small fat cap on the roast that I will score

*Membrane on ribs will be removed

*Using a spicy dry rub and let stand for 45 minutes

*Will cook at 250 indirect with one chunk of plum wood

*Cook fat cap side down

*When it reaches 135 internal I will slather on some sauce

*When it reached 145 internal I will pull from Egg, slather on more sauce, wrap in foil and let rest for 30 minutes.

*Then it will be sliced to look like a pork chop (where the bone is is the Babyback rib)

keeping fingers crossed! I am following this video for the general technique and using my own rub and sauce

http://www.foodsvs.com/2013/01/smoked-pork-loin-rib-roast-vs-recipe.html

That sounds awesome. It's one of my favorite cuts, but one I don't purchase too often. Post pics if you can, I'd love to see the finished product.

That sounds awesome. It's one of my favorite cuts, but one I don't purchase too often. Post pics if you can, I'd love to see the finished product.
I will try to remember to do that. It is smoking away now.

Do you remember roughly how long you cooked it? I am going to check it around 90 minutes to see how far off I am.

Do you remember roughly how long you cooked it? I am going to check it around 90 minutes to see how far off I am.
It really depends on pounds. Honestly, I always just cook to temp but usually like 30-40 min a pound.

It really depends on pounds. Honestly, I always just cook to temp but usually like 30-40 min a pound.
oh me too on always cooking to internal temp. I was just trying to get a rough idea of how to time some of the other items on the meal.

Has anyone ever cooked beef short ribs on the Egg? If so what technique did you use?
Been meaning to, and it is on my short list for the Super Bowl.

Did you try the egghead forms?

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=beef+short+ribs

This looks VERY good: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155475/beef-short-ribs-italian-style
that Italian style is the general technique I use in the oven (braising) that appears to work well but was wondering if anyone tried to cook them outside of a liquid. I will check the egghead forums, thank you for your link!

Has anyone ever cooked beef short ribs on the Egg? If so what technique did you use?
Been meaning to, and it is on my short list for the Super Bowl.

Did you try the egghead forms?

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=beef+short+ribs

This looks VERY good: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155475/beef-short-ribs-italian-style
that Italian style is the general technique I use in the oven (braising) that appears to work well but was wondering if anyone tried to cook them outside of a liquid. I will check the egghead forums, thank you for your link!
Can't see why not. The egg retains so much heat and moisture it would be perfect.

Yes. Not complicated. Salt and pepper on oak at 250. The toughest part is getting them from the store all about the same size. I tried a whole rib plate and did not do as well because I didn't let it cook long enough. I will try that again as done right it's the nuts.

The size for each rib is going to determine how long to cook it.

I did pork chops last night. Cooked well, but I left them in the brine too long and they were a touch salty. Pork seems to take brine up much faster than birds do for me.

On another note. I got the egg ready last night in the blizzard and I went to unlock my war chest (I keep my lump, wood, etc. in there) and the key wouldn't go in. It looked like someone might have tampered with it. I tried putting a flame to the lock to melt ice, but it didn't work. Might have to grab the bolt cutters. Very frustrating to cook the skirt steak on the CI rather than the BGE.

I've also been meaning to post the table that my gf and her father made me for Xmas. Here it is, 100% cedar, it's freaking beautiful/awesome: http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/f7/a746cc16cde1934a592be042cf9252.jpg

Yes. Not complicated. Salt and pepper on oak at 250. The toughest part is getting them from the store all about the same size. I tried a whole rib plate and did not do as well because I didn't let it cook long enough. I will try that again as done right it's the nuts.

The size for each rib is going to determine how long to cook it.
I'll also add that beef ribs don't take too long to cook. We did some along with our prime rib (not connected to the roast) and they took like 3-ish hours. I think you want to cook to temp, 180F IIRC, Since they're thick, you can get a temp probe in,

short ribs are done right before the ribs are falling off. Getting a good temp on a short rib can be tricky as the connective tissue is longitudinal. It's not a horrible idea to try to get one though.

best to try to keep tugging on the bone every 15 and if one falls off you are more than done.

MCguidance said:
On another note. I got the egg ready last night in the blizzard and I went to unlock my war chest (I keep my lump, wood, etc. in there) and the key wouldn't go in. It looked like someone might have tampered with it. I tried putting a flame to the lock to melt ice, but it didn't work. Might have to grab the bolt cutters. Very frustrating to cook the skirt steak on the CI rather than the BGE.

I've also been meaning to post the table that my gf and her father made me for Xmas. Here it is, 100% cedar, it's freaking beautiful/awesome: http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/f7/a746cc16cde1934a592be042cf9252.jpg
That is so rustic and gorgeous! Wonderful gift!

Why do you lock up your wood by the way?

For the Super Bowl I am juggling doing 9 racks of ribs and a 15 pound turkey in basically a 10 hour window. Gonna be a long day.

MCguidance said:

That is so rustic and gorgeous! Wonderful gift!Why do you lock up your wood by the way?
Thanks, it really is awesome.

After a picnic bench was stolen when I went on vacation, I lock everything. It's just a deck box with all of my grilling equipment inside.

For the Super Bowl I am juggling doing 9 racks of ribs and a 15 pound turkey in basically a 10 hour window. Gonna be a long day.
shoot a pic of how you arrange 9 racks of ribs. I'm going to do 4 and a bucket of wings.
Not at once. 5 and then 4 with the rib rack thing.
Ah. Well I thought you might do 9 vertical somehow. Are you going to par the first 5 and finish in the oven to serve at same time as other 4?

shoot a pic of how you arrange 9 racks of ribs. I'm going to do 4 and a bucket of wings.
Ah. Well I thought you might do 9 vertical somehow. Are you going to par the first 5 and finish in the oven to serve at same time as other 4?
I'm going to do all the ribs first. So I'll cook them all for about 2.5 hour in the egg then take them out and out the turkey on. I usually finish then with sauce in the egg, but since there will be a time gap from when I take them out and plan to serve them, I'm just going to finish them with sauce in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

Never done this before, so fingers are crossed. I usually pull them and quickly serve.

I'm going to do all the ribs first. So I'll cook them all for about 2.5 hour in the egg then take them out and out the turkey on. I usually finish then with sauce in the egg, but since there will be a time gap from when I take them out and plan to serve them, I'm just going to finish them with sauce in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

Never done this before, so fingers are crossed. I usually pull them and quickly serve.
BBQ restaurants have been par cooking ribs since the dawn of time. Hell, aren't memphis ribs basically known for this? Depending on how you plan it you will have to take some approach to not let anything sit in the 70-140 degree range for more than about a half hour though for :toilet: reasons.

I'm going to do all the ribs first. So I'll cook them all for about 2.5 hour in the egg then take them out and out the turkey on. I usually finish then with sauce in the egg, but since there will be a time gap from when I take them out and plan to serve them, I'm just going to finish them with sauce in the oven for 15-20 minutes.Never done this before, so fingers are crossed. I usually pull them and quickly serve.
BBQ restaurants have been par cooking ribs since the dawn of time. Hell, aren't memphis ribs basically known for this? Depending on how you plan it you will have to take some approach to not let anything sit in the 70-140 degree range for more than about a half hour though for :toilet: reasons.
Yea I've never par boiled. Would hate to try it for the first time next week.

Honestly I'm not sure yet how I'm gonna do it. Might just fry the ####ing turkey.

I think you have two options

1) Cook the ribs all the way, wrap and put in a cooler. When you get wherever you are going warm them up in their oven. If possible, when done use the broiler to firm them up a bit for like 2 minutes max.

2) Give them 3 hours of smoke and wrap them. Finish for an hour in an oven at 225. Unwrap to firm up like step 1). This would make sense if you were in a major time crunch.

IMO do the turkey the day before. Or at least such that it comes off at like 10am. Let that thing cool down and serve for sammiches at a colder temp maybe.

1) Cook the ribs all the way, wrap and put in a cooler. When you get wherever you are going warm them up in their oven. If possible, when done use the broiler to firm them up a bit for like 2 minutes max.

2) Give them 3 hours of smoke and wrap them. Finish for an hour in an oven at 225. Unwrap to firm up like step 1). This would make sense if you were in a major time crunch.

IMO do the turkey the day before. Or at least such that it comes off at like 10am. Let that thing cool down and serve for sammiches at a colder temp maybe.
On technique #1, do you finish them with sauce on Egg before wrapping or do you wrap dry and then add sauce in oven?

Doesn't matter really but I'd add a little sauce then add more later. I wrap in foil, then in a towel, then in a cooler. You can do this with a shoulder or anything for a while if the timing of your cook is off. Just don't do it too long or the funk comes.

Doesn't matter really but I'd add a little sauce then add more later. I wrap in foil, then in a towel, then in a cooler. You can do this with a shoulder or anything for a while if the timing of your cook is off. Just don't do it too long or the funk comes.
I wanted to make some ribs for my brother last week when visiting but did not know how to handle the 30 minute ride.

If I take off grill, wrap and cooler immediately, will 30 minutes be ok for Ribs? ( I know shoulder can go much longer but was not sure about ribs).

And I assume to not cut the ribs before wrapping, is that correct?

I wanted to make some ribs for my brother last week when visiting but did not know how to handle the 30 minute ride. If I take off grill, wrap and cooler immediately, will 30 minutes be ok for Ribs? ( I know shoulder can go much longer but was not sure about ribs).

And I assume to not cut the ribs before wrapping, is that correct?
Yeah keep whole. Would last that time no problem.

Thanks for the advice. The party is at my place. I could put something in the oven to cook and save some grief, but obviously I prefer to use the egg for as much as possible. I think I'll go with your #1 above and maybe heat up for 10 minutes in the oven with a little sauce to glaze and crisp up the edges. Should be ok to keep them in a cooler for a few hours after I pull them?

Ok, what's everyone making for Sunday?

I have class on Saturday, but I'm thinking of putting a pork shoulder on at 11pm with my Digi-q and making some pulled pork. Then putting on ribs in the morning, and following with a spatchcocked chicken before the game.

I am making Baby Backs (2-1-1 method). The wife wants to serve grilled chicken sandwiches so I am making those too.

I might throw on some stuffed jalapenos too.

I have class on Saturday, but I'm thinking of putting a pork shoulder on at 11pm with my Digi-q and making some pulled pork. Then putting on ribs in the morning, and following with a spatchcocked chicken before the game.
Substitute wings for the spatchcock, and I'm doing the exact same thing. Just got my pit IQ in the mail yesterday. :porked:

Substitute wings for the spatchcock, and I'm doing the exact same thing. Just got my pit IQ in the mail yesterday. :porked:
After you use it a few times can you give a review?

Users who are viewing this thread