What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 NFL Free Agents (2 Viewers)

Bump VJax?

Quarterback Josh McCown has signed a two-year, $10 million deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.McCown will make $4.75 million in 2014-15 and $5.25 million in 2015-16, sources told Schefter. McCown's agent, Michael McCartney, confirmed the two-year deal.

McCown can also earn $5 million more in incentives -- $1 million each year for playing time and another $3 million for reaching the playoffs, sources told Schefter.
Is that a starting type salary? I really don't know if McCown is better than Glennon. Seems like a competition heading into camp. They needed a backup.

I didn't say it was bad. They're just putting all their chips in the "let's win the Super Bowl right now" basket.

Not a bad strategy when you're on the cusp and your QB is ancient.
But are they? I'm really not trying to be combative just to prove a point.

They haven't given up any draft picks. The only really extended contract they've given is to Talib. The Ware deal is really more of a rent a player deal and it doesn't look like there are other, similarly skilled players that are more deserving of a longer term contract. And they're just spending the money that all other 31 franchises have available to them.

It doesn't look like they're mortgaging anything. It just looks like they're an attractive veteran free agent destination because of their ability to win it all.
I pretty much agree with you on this one. He's getting $20 million guaranteed over the next two years ($13MM then $7MM), and they can cut him after that and not owe him anything of the remaining $10 million. I doubt he's expecting to see that third year either.

I think it's a little risky to stake your hopes for an improved pass rush on a 32 year old coming off multiple injuries, but the upside is certainly there. Barring a massive drop off related to an injury, he should still be able to provide some value as a least a situational pass rusher in 2015, which could be steep at $7MM but isn't a killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say it was bad. They're just putting all their chips in the "let's win the Super Bowl right now" basket.

Not a bad strategy when you're on the cusp and your QB is ancient.
But are they? I'm really not trying to be combative just to prove a point.

They haven't given up any draft picks. The only really extended contract they've given is to Talib. The Ware deal is really more of a rent a player deal and it doesn't look like there are other, similarly skilled players that are more deserving of a longer term contract. And they're just spending the money that all other 31 franchises have available to them.

It doesn't look like they're mortgaging anything. It just looks like they're an attractive veteran free agent destination because of their ability to win it all.
I pretty much agree with you on this one. He's getting $20 million guaranteed over the next two years ($13MM then $7MM), and they can cut him after that and not owe him anything of the remaining $10 million. I doubt he's expecting to see that third year either.

I think it's a little risky to stake your hopes for an improved pass rush on a 32 year old coming off multiple injuries, but the upside is certainly there.
One other factor that could work against Ware: His pass rushing strengths were best utilized in a 3-4 where he played the Elephant LB role. When the Cowboys switched to the 4-3, Ware wasn't nearly as effective as a DE. Still a good player, but nothing close to the terror he was in his previous role.

Bump VJax?

Quarterback Josh McCown has signed a two-year, $10 million deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.McCown will make $4.75 million in 2014-15 and $5.25 million in 2015-16, sources told Schefter. McCown's agent, Michael McCartney, confirmed the two-year deal.

McCown can also earn $5 million more in incentives -- $1 million each year for playing time and another $3 million for reaching the playoffs, sources told Schefter.
Is that a starting type salary? I really don't know if McCown is better than Glennon. Seems like a competition heading into camp. They needed a backup.
McCown could easily take the job from Glennon. Now he might get a challenge from a rookie if the Bucs draft one. But don't discount McCown coming off an excellent year last, 13 TD, 1 INT in limited spot duty. I think even he was a bit surprised he did so well. For now, I think you have to say he's odds on favorite for the starting gig. He's certainly making more than Glennon and the current regime has no ties to Glennon.

Great news on the Golden Tate front. Big upgrade over Burleson and now Calvin has a viable threat across from him that has good hands and some speed.

Tate could explode next season in a pass happy team with multiple other threats taking attention. Dynasty owners must be ecstatic

Ryan McNaughton @RyanInNiles
The #Browns have released Brandon Weeden. He immediately threw three interceptions upon hearing the news.....

LOL

Playing QB in the NFL has to be the hardest job in sports. There's no shame in not being able to do it. There's less than 10 guys on earth that can do it at a more than competent level.

Playing QB in the NFL has to be the hardest job in sports. There's no shame in not being able to do it. There's less than 10 guys on earth that can do it at a more than competent level.
Certainly has to be up there in terms of toughest jobs. Which is why guys can make millions without even stepping on the field for more than a few blowout/mop-up plays.

DT-Randy Starks has resigned with the Miami Dolphins for 2yr/$12M, that's the same contract they gave Soliai back in 2012. Starks was listed as one of the better FA DTs this off season, major keep for the Phins even at age 30. Starks has been in the league 9 years and made the Pro Bowl twice in 2010/2012.

Good job Miami.

DT-Randy Starks has resigned with the Miami Dolphins for 2yr/$12M, that's the same contract they gave Soliai back in 2012. Starks was listed as one of the better FA DTs this off season, major keep for the Phins even at age 30. Starks has been in the league 9 years and made the Pro Bowl twice in 2010/2012.

Good job Miami.
Yeah, good value there.

In other news... the Browns put up a billboard outside the stadium flashing WE ARE DRAFTING A QB in neon.

Bump VJax?

McCown could easily take the job from Glennon. Now he might get a challenge from a rookie if the Bucs draft one. But don't discount McCown coming off an excellent year last, 13 TD, 1 INT in limited spot duty. I think even he was a bit surprised he did so well. For now, I think you have to say he's odds on favorite for the starting gig. He's certainly making more than Glennon and the current regime has no ties to Glennon.
Sure, McCown could take the job. I'm just saying I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the 34 year old QB with 38 starts, on his 5th team, with 5 good games where he had (probably) the best WR duo in the NFL to throw to, will start. He's certainly not a long term answer.

In other news... the Browns put up a billboard outside the stadium flashing WE ARE DRAFTING A QB in neon.
I could see them rolling with Hoyer. But they probably are drafting 1
Could Hoyer possibly be ready to start week 1? I guess it's not the same for QBs returning from ACL surgery but still...
If he's healthy, Hoyer seems a likely bet to start over a rookie. They can take a project type and take their time - which seems nobody does anymore with top 5 picks.

I could see them rolling with Hoyer. But they probably are drafting 1
Could Hoyer possibly be ready to start week 1? I guess it's not the same for QBs returning from ACL surgery but still...
If he's healthy, Hoyer seems a likely bet to start over a rookie. They can take a project type and take their time - which seems nobody does anymore with top 5 picks.
Yeah, that would be the smart thing to do. Too bad it's the Browns.

Bump VJax?

Sure, McCown could take the job. I'm just saying I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the 34 year old QB with 38 starts, on his 5th team, with 5 good games where he had (probably) the best WR duo in the NFL to throw to, will start. He's certainly not a long term answer.
Asked if Josh McCown would be his quarterback for the 2014 season, Bucs coach Lovie Smith replied "yes, he is."
There isn't going to be any competition with second-year pro Mike Glennon. Turning the keys over to a 34-year-old journeyman who's made seven starts since 2007 isn't exactly an orthodox move, but the Bucs are going all in on 2014. Smith has never had much patience for young players, and Glennon cratered down the stretch as a rookie after getting off to a promising start. There's still a high-percentage chance Glennon makes starts this season, however.

Browns QB Brandon Weeden to be released Monday per @MikeSilver
Nevermind, the Browns twitter page announced he was released as of today.
:lmao:

Will Brinson ‏@WillBrinson 18s

Brandon Weeden turned 30 years old but didnt even play out his rookie contract before the Browns released him.
I wonder if the Vikings look to pick him up? :topcat:
Prior to his release I was actually wondering if the Vikings shouldn't contemplate trading Ponder and Wedden straight across. A trade of 1st round under achievers like Baldwin and AJ Jenkins.

Browns QB Brandon Weeden to be released Monday per @MikeSilver
Nevermind, the Browns twitter page announced he was released as of today.
:lmao:

Will Brinson ‏@WillBrinson 18s

Brandon Weeden turned 30 years old but didnt even play out his rookie contract before the Browns released him.
I wonder if the Vikings look to pick him up? :topcat:
Prior to his release I was actually wondering if the Vikings shouldn't contemplate trading Ponder and Wedden straight across. A trade of 1st round under achievers like Baldwin and AJ Jenkins.
Having Norv Turner gives them first hand knowledge of him...if he is worth anything, I would think that the Vikings would make the move if Turner thinks anything of him...

Sports radio is going to unbearable to listen to in the next coming months. Broncos and Patriots free agency lovefeast will go on ad nauseam . I'm preparing for it to be worse than the year the Patriots traded for Albert Hanesworth and Ohco Cinco.

So far DBs have ruled: Byrd, Talib, Whitner, Mitchell, Davis, Revis. - Munnerlyn is still out there.

Seems like the FA attention might now shift to the WRs.

- Edelman, Decker, Sanders, Steve Smith, James Jones are all out there.

So far DBs have ruled: Byrd, Talib, Whitner, Revis. - Munnerlyn is still out there.

I keep hearing that receivers are going to find a tough go of it, with this being the deepest receiver draft in a while.

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - Cardinals

Cardinals signed RB Jonathan Dwyer to a one-year contract.

Dwyer, 24, finished 2013 in Pittsburgh with 197 yards on 49 carries (4.0 YPC) and eight receptions. He's a devastating pass protector and excels in short yardage. Although Dwyer lacks a high ceiling, he's a sensible signing in Arizona due to his familiarity with Bruce Arians' offense. He's a better talent than Stepfan Taylor. If this is all the Cards add at tailback during the offseason, it'll be good news for Andre Ellington's fantasy outlook.

Related: Steelers

Mar 12 - 9:37 PM

So far DBs have ruled: Byrd, Talib, Whitner, Revis. - Munnerlyn is still out there.

I keep hearing that receivers are going to find a tough go of it, with this being the deepest receiver draft in a while.
This WR FA class kinda suck too. I'd target Nicks on a short term, or bonus-heavy deal if I needed a WR. He's the only guy that I could see as a true difference maker if he rebounds. Detroit overpaid for Tate.

@RapSheet: Unreal RT @BairCSN: #Raiders announce that Rodger Saffold failed a physical and will not be signing with the team.

:lmao: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread