What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retired Cop Kills Man for Texting (2 Viewers)

Just jumping in to this thread, but just saw the video for the first time. This man needs to spend the rest of his life in prison with out a doubt. And it is a shame someone had to die, and both family's lives be thrown in to chaos and ruin over something so trivial and stupid. But I have to say, the guy with the popcorn was an idiot in his own right. Should not have died over it, but he definitely instigated the confrontation. Like someone said up above, in this day and age, better watch out with the macho man crap. It can get you dead.
Is there a video of the actual incident?
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/retired-cop-florida-cinema-shooting-staying-jail-n24646
Why did Oulsen make two motions at Reeves? Was the first one an attempted swing (and miss) and the second one was him just throwing his popcorn at him?
Maybe he was flashing gangs signs...im sure if we try hard enough we can blame the dead guy...maybe stir up some stories from his past...drug use or maybe he was in a fight club somewhere...i`ll leave that to the experts like you
Or perhaps he pulled a Busted Knuckles and took a swing and missed and threw his popcorn and cell phone and threw a hissy fit just like BN does with all of his posts.

But my question is, why are so many of you spending so much time emphasizing this aspect of it? This is a pretty clear cut case of murder. It's almost as if you guys feel the need to muddy up what happened, to pin at least a little bit of blame on the victim.
Tim, I need to understand what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that if the guy doesn't throw the popcorn at the old man, that the murder occurs anyways? If the answer is no, then yes, the dead man is partially responsible. Does that mean he in any way deserves what he got? Of course not, and no one is claiming it does. But the fact is that his actions helped escalate the confrontation in which he was killed. And I think that is all anyone is saying.
What I am saying is that from the very beginning of this thread people have spent an inordinate amount of time discussing what the victim did wrong. First there was a discussion about texting. Then it was about him talking back to the guy. Then it was about throwing popcorn. And IMO the reason so many people are bringing all this up is because otherwise we might blame guns .
No texting No arguing No popcorn throwing No funeral. You keep bringing up how people keep harping on the victims actions and you will keep hearing the victims actions.

Assistant State Attorney Manny Garcia used Reeves' own words against him in arguing that he should be held without bail. "Pointing the gun, firing the gun and his statements constitute second-degree murder," Garcia said. "From his own mouth, judge." Garcia went through Reeves' statements made in a recorded interview in the hours after the shooting, including: "Good heavens, I didn't mean to do that."

Garcia also brought up how Reeves told detectives Oulson lunged at him and hit him. "Where in that video do you see Mr. Reeves holding Chad Oulson back like he was describing?" Garcia said. "It's not in there, judge."

It was after the gunshot and before he knew there was video surveillance, Garcia said, that Reeves made up a story about self-defense. "He knew that he shot that man in cold blood with no justification," Garcia said.

Prosecutors also played a recording of Nicole Oulson's statement to detectives. She said a gray-haired man sitting behind them "got rude" with her husband during previews. "He was just nasty," she said. The man left for a minute and came back. By then, she said, Chad Oulson's phone was off. "We thought that was end of it," she said. But the man taunted Oulson, she said.

"He said, 'Now you put it away, are you scared?' " she said. " 'Oh so now you put the phone away.' And my husband turned around and stood up and said, 'Dude, what is your problem?' "
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/bail-hearing-resumes-this-morning-in-movie-theater-shooting/2164575
Looking more and more like the old man wanted to shoot in self defense. He hated the hippie texting guy and everything he stands for. Murderer's just pissed now the camera and the eyewitnesses won't support self defense like he wanted. He tried the "taunt the guy into getting aggressive and boom I'll teach you punk" approach, with a self defense claim to follow once the punk was good and dead. A former cop would be familiar with taunting a hothead into action. Now a daughter has a dead father, any fathers of daughters here want to imagine what that's like? "Oh, but the guy was texting in the movies". Seriously, that's a mindset?

Just jumping in to this thread, but just saw the video for the first time. This man needs to spend the rest of his life in prison with out a doubt. And it is a shame someone had to die, and both family's lives be thrown in to chaos and ruin over something so trivial and stupid. But I have to say, the guy with the popcorn was an idiot in his own right. Should not have died over it, but he definitely instigated the confrontation. Like someone said up above, in this day and age, better watch out with the macho man crap. It can get you dead.
Is there a video of the actual incident?
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/retired-cop-florida-cinema-shooting-staying-jail-n24646
Why did Oulsen make two motions at Reeves? Was the first one an attempted swing (and miss) and the second one was him just throwing his popcorn at him?
Maybe he was flashing gangs signs...im sure if we try hard enough we can blame the dead guy...maybe stir up some stories from his past...drug use or maybe he was in a fight club somewhere...i`ll leave that to the experts like you
Or perhaps he pulled a Busted Knuckles and took a swing and missed and threw his popcorn and cell phone and threw a hissy fit just like BN does with all of his posts.
i`ve said it before and i`ll say it again...i am completely convinced JOJO was bullied a lot growing up

the video is pretty damning. He was just waiting for any excuse to shoot the guy.

Coupled with is wife's statements right after the shooting it seems like a slam dunk conviction...even in the cluster#### that is florida.

I watched the bond hearing the other day and I think if you interpret the law correctly he should be let go. A forcible felony is grounds for self defense. You can see in the video the guy turns around and throws a phone at him in the video. That apparently is a "forcible felony" since he is a senior.

The laws need to be tweaked, and the old guy was definitely wrong, but according to the law I think he should walk.

I watched the bond hearing the other day and I think if you interpret the law correctly he should be let go. A forcible felony is grounds for self defense. You can see in the video the guy turns around and throws a phone at him in the video. That apparently is a "forcible felony" since he is a senior.

The laws need to be tweaked, and the old guy was definitely wrong, but according to the law I think he should walk.
that must be why hes being held until the trial

:popcorn:
Lawyers. :disgust:

776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.
Im going to beat your ### with popcorn. Look ma Ima felon.

Im pretty sure he threw a phone at the guy along with the popcorn. They looped the video and there was a shiney object in it that was the screen of the phone.

They found the guys phone at Reeve's feet.
well he couldnt have been too upset that reeves threw a phone seeing he was only heard saying ''ill teach you to throw popcorn at me''...that could indicate he didnt actually throw it AT the old guy...just near him...doubt that counts...its not a hand grenade or a horse shoe

They found the guys phone at Reeve's feet.
well he couldnt have been too upset that reeves threw a phone seeing he was only heard saying ''ill teach you to throw popcorn at me''...that could indicate he didnt actually throw it AT the old guy...just near him...doubt that counts...its not a hand grenade or a horse shoe
As long as it got past the line of scrimmage it's not a penalty; I'm not sure if the thrower was still in the box.

As long as you're in a law-giving mood, you have any case law which defines what "physical force or violence against any individual" is, and how severe or threatening it must be to justify use of lethal force in self-defense?

If that shiney object was indeed a cell phone, then he committed a felony.
Even throwing the popcorn aggressively could be considered the threat of physical force, technically speaking.
If you touch someone with your finger, it is technically assault. The law has to be written that way because it is a "bright line". If not you get into an endless discussion of how hard it needs to be in order to be considered assault. However, judge and jury take into consideration the force involved.

Not everyone agrees.

10 News reached out to Tampa Bay criminal defense attorney Joe Episcopo about their possible strategy.

"Today was the beginning of a long guilty plea, and I think that's a good strategy on the part of the defense. Why? Because there's no way he's going to be able to get around a second degree murder conviction," said the famed defense attorney.

He watched the hearing, took notes, double checked the statutes, and says this case will not go to trial.

"Because of the testimony that came out today, and the fact he didn't get bond- it doesn't bode well for going to trial. It's only going to hurt you to go to trial, and put the widow through that," said Episcopo.

Also of interest, was the about face by the defense on releasing the surveillance video to the media. Why would the defense do that? Here's Episcopo's analysis. "The video shows he was a little bit provoked. It wasn't that serious, but it showed something did happen. So again, it might help the defense in making the sentence more bearable," said Episcopo.

Self defense is not blowing a guy away, at all. Part of your responsibility as a law abiding citizen is turning the other cheek when possible and not escalating a situation. Which it certainly the opposite of what Reeves did here. You also can't shoot a guy dead in the streets because he ran off with your tv either. Not even in Florida. You need to understand the caselaw and theory behind some laws instead of reading them like they are a fantasy football rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Self defense is not blowing a guy away, at all. Part of your responsibility as a law abiding citizen is turning the other cheek when possible and not escalating a situation. Which it certainly the opposite of what Reeves did here. You also can't shoot a guy dead in the streets because he ran off with your tv either. Not even in Florida. You need to understand the caselaw and theory behind some laws instead of reading them like they are a fantasy football rule.
No hyperbole in this post at all.

This could be anyone of us in a movie house...maybe we are checking our phone for whatever reason...then some guy starts ordering you to stop..NOW. ...Any man will get defensive and and basically tell that guy to mind his own business...that you are not the boss of me...and if you dont like it MOVE.

Point is as a man pride will enter into this and thats when it takes a bigger person to swallow the pride and avoid the impending escalation thats surely coming ...this event shows what happens when you dont.

Just sad all the way around.
:no: Wouldn't have been me. No ####### way I'm throwing my popcorn at the old dude. #### is way too expensive.

Jojo the circus boy said:
Premier said:

Self defense is not blowing a guy away, at all. Part of your responsibility as a law abiding citizen is turning the other cheek when possible and not escalating a situation. Which it certainly the opposite of what Reeves did here.You also can't shoot a guy dead in the streets because he ran off with your tv either. Not even in Florida. You need to understand the caselaw and theory behind some laws instead of reading them like they are a fantasy football rule.
In reality, it doesnt have much.

Premier said:

Self defense is not blowing a guy away, at all. Part of your responsibility as a law abiding citizen is turning the other cheek when possible and not escalating a situation. Which it certainly the opposite of what Reeves did here.You also can't shoot a guy dead in the streets because he ran off with your tv either. Not even in Florida. You need to understand the caselaw and theory behind some laws instead of reading them like they are a fantasy football rule.
In reality, it doesnt have much.
:lmao: Of course not.

Premier said:

lol

Im pretty sure he threw a phone at the guy along with the popcorn. They looped the video and there was a shiney object in it that was the screen of the phone.
maybe it was a candy wrapper
Could you be any more dense?
so are you saying it couldn't have been a York peppermint patty ..no chance at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be anyone of us in a movie house...maybe we are checking our phone for whatever reason...then some guy starts ordering you to stop..NOW. ...Any man will get defensive and and basically tell that guy to mind his own business...that you are not the boss of me...and if you dont like it MOVE.

Point is as a man pride will enter into this and thats when it takes a bigger person to swallow the pride and avoid the impending escalation thats surely coming ...this event shows what happens when you dont.

:no: Wouldn't have been me. No ####### way I'm throwing my popcorn at the old dude. #### is way too expensive.
:goodposting: had some yesterday - that #### is like crack too when loaded with salt and butter

:goodposting: had some yesterday - that #### is like crack too when loaded with salt and butter
and therein lies the true danger-

I've got a real big problem with a guy who feels threatened for his life enough to kill someone, but not threatened enough to even bothering to ####### STAND UP to confront his attacker. I don't know about you, but shooting him from his chair just screams "I don't give a ####" to me...

In the video, I see Reeves return to his seat from getting a manager, or from his car after getting the gun, where I don't know. There's words, Oulsen throws something (presumably the cell phone), then the popcorn. "Here, you happy now? You know what, here's some popcorn on your lap too, #######."

Nowhere on the video do I see a guy in fear for his life. Maybe this is just me, but if I'm in fear of either mine or my wife's lives, and great bodily harm is seconds away, the least I'm doing is getting my ### out of my chair.

Reeves is a #####, this is murder. Rot in hell doosh, thanks for ruining a little girl's life.

the video is pretty damning. He was just waiting for any excuse to shoot the guy.

Coupled with is wife's statements right after the shooting it seems like a slam dunk conviction...even in the cluster#### that is florida.
This.

You can see he takes the gun out of his pocket before the popcorn is even thrown. Yet he was so scared he couldn't stand the #### up.

I guarantee you he'll walk.

I don't know the timelines, but reading the article it appears to me like he texted before the previews started.

Users who are viewing this thread