What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strange Landing Spots for RBs. (How concerned are you?) (3 Viewers)

Casting Couch

Footballguy
Jeremy Hill - Bengals 2.23

Carlos Hyde 2.25

Charles Sims - Tampa Bay 3.05

Tre Mason - Rams 3.11

------------------------------------

This definitely has a negative impact on the value of some solid young FF runningbacks,

Zac Stacy, Gio Bernard, Lattimore and Doug Martin.

thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat. I see Gio being Gio. I can see Mason taking the job from Stacey eventually and Sims going to the Bucs was just flat disappointing. I think Hyde to the 49ers was interesting. He could be the starter in a couple of years. Lattimore may never recover from his injury.

I think it's an indicator that we are looking in the wrong direction for ff RB value. Instead, we should be looking at the places where the picture is staying clear and RBs have clear value as the guy.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Trent Richardson (by definition)

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

These are the guys that are winning this draft and helping their owners increase value. Meanwhile, all these guys who just spent picks (and some of them high) on gio, Stacy, Martin, etc, might be sitting with some problems. Even if those same teams have more high picks this year, it's just as bad for the wrs.

This is kinda ugly. Can change tomorrow, but ugly tonight

Mason sucks at pass pro which means he is not a big threat to Stacey until he learns that skill.

Hyde to the Niners surprised me. Thought Lattimore was recovering well and projected to compete for a lot of carries this year.

Gio should not be affected but Martin will take a hit.

Mason sucks at pass pro which means he is not a big threat to Stacey until he learns that skill.

Hyde to the Niners surprised me. Thought Lattimore was recovering well and projected to compete for a lot of carries this year.

Gio should not be affected but Martin will take a hit.
Gio took a huge hit if u had aspirations of him being more of a bell cow. Martian take a lot less of a hit from Sims

Simple, RBs are cheap now (pick wise and salary wise) and injury prone. Stock up and have 2-3 good options. Sucks for fantasy but smart for current football economics.

Simple, RBs are cheap now (pick wise and salary wise) and injury prone. Stock up and have 2-3 good options. Sucks for fantasy but smart for current football economics.
You guys think, in fantasy, owners are better off having a handful of these "share" guys or have a Jennings, Murray, or Foster type where it's clearer on the pecking order?

I think it's an indicator that we are looking in the wrong direction for ff RB value. Instead, we should be looking at the places where the picture is staying clear and RBs have clear value as the guy.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

These are the guys that are winning this draft and helping their owners increase value. Meanwhile, all these guys who just spent picks (and some of them high) on gio, Stacy, Martin, etc, might be sitting with some problems. Even if those same teams have more high picks this year, it's just as bad for the wrs.

Fixed

You guys think, in fantasy, owners are better off having a handful of these "share" guys or have a Jennings, Murray, or Foster type where it's clearer on the pecking order?
I'd rather have Foster or Murray easy.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

Fixed
I don't think so. Terrance West was taken as depth/backup. Tate's backups were Dion Lewis and Fozzy Whittaker.

Gio was never going to be a 350+ touch RB. I always viewed him as a 250 touch max type of back and in PPR that'd be enough for him to be a nice weekly starter. Finished 12th and 13th in all my leagues last year with <250. Hill hurts BJGE, not Gio.

Simms is sort of meh for me. Should get some COP action, but Martin is still the guy, will get 300+ touches and be a great RB1.

I like Mason, but I'm not ready to push Stacy to the curb. Both deserve to see the field. Mason should be what Pead wasn't. Highest upside of the 3 rookie backs, IMO.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

Fixed
I don't think so. Terrance West was taken as depth/backup. Tate's backups were Dion Lewis and Fozzy Whittaker.
I agree with Faust. I think a RBBC timeshare is a good possibility here.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

Fixed
The same Tate who couldn't stay healthy, didn't flash special skills (for the most part), and who couldn't sniff much demand on the free agency market? That Tate?

Please forgive me, but I think that West is a bigger threat to Tate's touches then we think. I will accept that in his rookie year that there could be a bit of an adjustment period; however, it wouldn't surprise me to see West as the lead back in this RBBC situation by the start of next year.

Gio was never going to be a 350+ touch RB. I always viewed him as a 250 touch max type of back and in PPR that'd be enough for him to be a nice weekly starter. Finished 12th and 13th in all my leagues last year with <250. Hill hurts BJGE, not Gio.

Simms is sort of meh for me. Should get some COP action, but Martin is still the guy, will get 300+ touches and be a great RB1.

I like Mason, but I'm not ready to push Stacy to the curb. Both deserve to see the field. Mason should be what Pead wasn't. Highest upside of the 3 rookie backs, IMO.
I think these are really good assessments. As far as Gio goes as long as his receiving role remains I think he'll be ok. Hill is actually a good receiver but I'm guessing they drafted him for the thumper/BJGE role.

Not enough landing spots for all these RB's just had to happen and more to come

How concerned?

Well, as a RB-needy dynasty owner, I'm starting to think I may be in play for Gurley, etc. next year, so I guess I've got that going for me.

I don't get it... previously we were led to believe that this was one of the weakest RB classes to come along in some time... now all of a sudden these second round picks are supposed to be taking over everyone's jobs? I'm not buying it.

It's silly to just say that Gio's role remains the same because he probably wasn't going to be a feature guy anyway. A big part of Gio's value was that chance that maybe he would end up as a feature back and be the next McCoy/Charles instead of the next Spiller/Sproles.

Some of the biggest fantasy monsters at RB in the last 5 years (McCoy, Charles, CJ2K, etc) were smaller electric guys that people assumed would probably be part-time backs but had a chance to explode if they become a feature back. Eliminating or at least significantly reducing that probability significantly impacts Gio's value. He wasn't a top 3-5 guy in dynasty RB rankings because he's a good high-end RB2 on limited touches. He was there because he was a good high-end RB2 on limited touches that could be a monster RB1 if those touches were significantly increased.

I don't get it... previously we were led to believe that this was one of the weakest RB classes to come along in some time... now all of a sudden these second round picks are supposed to be taking over everyone's jobs? I'm not buying it.
It is a weak class which is why they are being drafted into RBBC and backup situations.

Not taking everyone's job, but the very real possibility of stealing a significant amount of carries.

Dri Archer + Blount hurt Bell?
I don't think it does.
Blount is a back up and Archer is a different type of runner than Bell, not the Pittsburgh/Tomlin style, he is a return guy with Sanders gone. People always panic but teams have to build depth through the draft.
Archer's intriguing, because he's not a punt returner for some reason and they didn't draft him in the 3rd to just return kicks in an NFL that is rapidly killing the kickoff return game. They've got a plan for him. He's a nice COP to Bell and Blount if he sticks at RB.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

Fixed
The same Tate who couldn't stay healthy, didn't flash special skills (for the most part), and who couldn't sniff much demand on the free agency market? That Tate?

Please forgive me, but I think that West is a bigger threat to Tate's touches then we think. I will accept that in his rookie year that there could be a bit of an adjustment period; however, it wouldn't surprise me to see West as the lead back in this RBBC situation by the start of next year.
RT @evansilva: Ben Tate's two-year, $6.2M deal has no guaranteed money in 2015. Short-term fix. T-West should get every opportunity to unseat him quicklyTate may not even be in Cleveland next year. West direct handcuff and potential 2015 starter

It's silly to just say that Gio's role remains the same because he probably wasn't going to be a feature guy anyway. A big part of Gio's value was that chance that maybe he would end up as a feature back and be the next McCoy/Charles instead of the next Spiller/Sproles.

Some of the biggest fantasy monsters at RB in the last 5 years (McCoy, Charles, CJ2K, etc) were smaller electric guys that people assumed would probably be part-time backs but had a chance to explode if they become a feature back. Eliminating or at least significantly reducing that probability significantly impacts Gio's value. He wasn't a top 3-5 guy in dynasty RB rankings because he's a good high-end RB2 on limited touches. He was there because he was a good high-end RB2 on limited touches that could be a monster RB1 if those touches were significantly increased.
:tebow:

With Jeremy Hill in the picture, the chances of Gio's touches being significantly increased have diminished greatly,

as the NFL as a whole moves closer and closer to a RBBC style league.

With Jeremy Hill in the picture, the chances of Gio's touches being significantly increased have diminished greatly,

as the NFL as a whole moves closer and closer to a RBBC style league.
Yeah, that's the point of his post.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

Fixed

RT @evansilva: Ben Tate's two-year, $6.2M deal has no guaranteed money in 2015. Short-term fix. T-West should get every opportunity to unseat him quicklyTate may not even be in Cleveland next year. West direct handcuff and potential 2015 starter
Tate is faster and stronger--he breaks tackles against NFL quality backs. Tate has injury concerns so that is a real legitimate possibility that he gets hurt and West gets meaningful time and delivers some good games and in time takes over. But if both are healthy, I don't see West as the better back, not even close.

I never listed or viewed Gio as a top 3-5 dynasty RB. His value this offseason has been lower to me than what the consensus rankings suggest. Based on those consensus rankings, yeah, it takes a hit. Based on mine, it's about a wash. That's all I meant. Answered the question based on my opinions and rankings.

Every RB so far other than Sankey (and maybe Hyde if you're willing to wait) has basically become a fantasy non-starter. COP or handcuff at best for right now, with the potential to eventually beat out the incumbent (Mason vs. Stacy, West vs. Tate).

I'm telling you guys, Andre Williams is our next bet at a fantasy relevant rookie RB. Falcon at 4.03 tomorrow could make it happen.

Maybe Freeman as well.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

Fixed

Tate is faster and stronger--he breaks tackles against NFL quality backs. Tate has injury concerns so that is a real legitimate possibility that he gets hurt and West gets meaningful time and delivers some good games and in time takes over. But if both are healthy, I don't see West as the better back, not even close.
Tate was probably the worst receiving back in the league last year, so at the very least T-West should get some run in the receiving game. And as Faust mentioned, even if we were to assume Tate is better, he's proven to be rather injury prone and has a team friendly contract; so it's certainly a possibility that Tate could get injured and that T-West gets a full run and plays well enough for the Browns to opt for starting T-West full time and getting rid of Tate.

Remember that the Niners were one of the teams in for Gerhart. The tea leaves were out there. I didn't expect them to go RB this high, but it wasn't a shock either. People forget that in draft terms Lattimore was basically a hail mary. A luxury and not a guy they were probably assuming would carry the mail for them.

I like Mason > Stacy and would expect him to wrestle away the majority of the work there in time. For now, it looks headed for RBBC.

Hill to Cincy is a little odd. Says they don't see Gio as their Ray Rice or Shady McCoy, but also makes sense because BJGE was just pitiful last season. They needed to upgrade that spot. Really restricts Hill's upside for the foreseeable future though.

I don't rate Sims very highly and since I think Martin is a legit three down back, that one doesn't move the needle much for me. He'll catch some balls. I don't see him as a big threat to turn that into a committee.

Terrance West to Cleveland is very interesting too. I'm not a huge fan of him on tape, but he has some interesting height/weight/speed qualities and may be a nice dark horse to do something there if Ben Tate can't answer the bell.

Somewhat. I see Gio being Gio. I can see Mason taking the job from Stacey eventually and Sims going to the Bucs was just flat disappointing. I think Hyde to the 49ers was interesting. He could be the starter in a couple of years. Lattimore may never recover from his injury.
I'm worried mostly about Lattimore. Similar backs and only one can be the starter.

Less worried about Gio since I wasn't high on Hill and Gio can't carry the load himself.

If I was a Stacy owner I'd be worried once Mason learns to pass protect.

Sims is a good receiver and could cut into Martin's catches

West could take over for Tate if he can't stay healthy.

Hill to Cincy is a little odd. Says they don't see Gio as their Ray Rice or Shady McCoy, but also makes sense because BJGE was just pitiful last season. They needed to upgrade that spot. Really restricts Hill's upside for the foreseeable future though.
Not that AP and Gio are comparable, but the Vikings drafted Gerhart in the 2nd. I still think Gio is the main RB but they don't want him carrying the ball 20 times a game plus receiving. Nothing wrong with that as an owner since he'll be a RB1 getting 12-15 carries a game and 4 receptions.

How concerned?

Well, as a RB-needy dynasty owner, I'm starting to think I may be in play for Gurley, etc. next year, so I guess I've got that going for me.
I plan to take him with the #2 or #5 pick.

TEX

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

With Jennings - if Wilson gets healthy, that's likely RBBC.

As a Bell owner Archer worries me a little. Bell's value/consistency comes from those 4 receptions a game. If Archer cuts into that significantly it's going to hurt Bell's value.

Figured I would update the landing spots.

Hyde, Carlos RB 6'0" 230 Ohio St. Pick 25, Round 2 (57) 49ers

Mason, Tre RB 5'8" 207 Auburn Pick 11, Round 3 (75) Rams

Sankey, Bishop RB 5'9" 209 Washington Pick 22, Round 2 (54) Titans

Hill, Jeremy RB 6'1" 233 LSU Pick 23, Round 2 (55) Bengals

Archer, Dri RB 5'8" 173 Kent St. Pick 33, Round 3 (97) Steelers

McKinnon, Jerick RB 5'9" 209 Georgia Southern Pick 32, Round 3 (96) Vikings

West, Terrance RB 5'9" 225 Towson Pick 30, Round 3 (94) Browns

Sims, Charles RB 6'0" 214 West Virginia Pick 5, Round 3 (69) Buccaneers

Remember that the Niners were one of the teams in for Gerhart. The tea leaves were out there. I didn't expect them to go RB this high, but it wasn't a shock either. People forget that in draft terms Lattimore was basically a hail mary. A luxury and not a guy they were probably assuming would carry the mail for them.

I like Mason > Stacy and would expect him to wrestle away the majority of the work there in time. For now, it looks headed for RBBC.

I don't rate Sims very highly and since I think Martin is a legit three down back, that one doesn't move the needle much for me. He'll catch some balls. I don't see him as a big threat to turn that into a committee.

Terrance West to Cleveland is very interesting too. I'm not a huge fan of him on tape, but he has some interesting height/weight/speed qualities and may be a nice dark horse to do something there if Ben Tate can't answer the bell.
If Ben can't answer the bell? More like "when."

Thoughts on the RBs;

Hyde - Not surprised at all. Gore is ancient and Lattimore ever fully recovering and making a significant impact was a long shot. SF was reported to be active in the RB FA market and they likely drafted a guy better than anyone they could have landed there, minus Johnson for a season. Hyde looks like the future of the SF running game to me.

Mason - Again, not surprised. Stacy is what he his, a guy who is good enough to get the job done but unspectacular. I had very high concerns that St. L would upgrade the position in this draft. This could be an ugly situation for fantasy, though. Mason isn't strong enough in pass protection to warrant much more than a COP role early.

Sankey - Top RB meets top situation. He probably vaults into the #1 overall for dynasty conversation.

Hill - Not surprised. I've said for a while now that I don't see Gio as an every down RB and he was immensely overrated. Hill will push BJGE out of the way and assume that role keeping this a RBBC.

Archer - don't really see this as anything more than a gadget/COP player. Will have ST impact and minimal impact on the actual running game in Pitt. Pew could see him moved to a slot WR.

McKinnon - I'm not super high on him but he seems like the clear backup to AP. Not sure he will ever be more than that. Also offers great ST potential. It's been rumored he can also play S or CB. Not sure I see that happening though.

West - Browns needed a RB as the position was bare after Tate, who has a long injury history. Comes in as a backup but could look good if Tate goes down.

Sims - Not surprised to see TB take a RB. They don't have much behind Martin. I don't think this is going to hurt Martin a great deal. He's still the best talent there. West could vulture some 3rd down opps but nothing significant IMO.

Every RB so far other than Sankey (and maybe Hyde if you're willing to wait) has basically become a fantasy non-starter. COP or handcuff at best for right now, with the potential to eventually beat out the incumbent (Mason vs. Stacy, West vs. Tate).

I'm telling you guys, Andre Williams is our next bet at a fantasy relevant rookie RB. Falcon at 4.03 tomorrow could make it happen.

Maybe Freeman as well.
We kind of knew this going in though. There just weren't that many openings available, unlike last season.

Maybe Freeman as well.
We kind of knew this going in though. There just weren't that many openings available, unlike last season.
Many thought Atl, Den and Mia would add RBs and those were viewed as good spots. Didn't pan out, at least not yet.

Maybe Freeman as well.
The openings are going to be filled today!

Crowell/Seastrunk/Carey...

Sims pick was idiotic. Made no sense with the stockpile of rbs there. With what was left on thw board sims was like the 200th best option. Not sure what the Bucs thought process is there.

Users who are viewing this thread