What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

Thanks for sharing BnB and I love the way you consistently challenge yourself. My personal feelings are that challenging yourself and not getting complacent is what it is all about.

* I would keep the rock.

Speaking of tapering, 8 days before the Raleigh 70.3. This is a fitness test for me, not a race I expect to get a PR. So my taper isn't going to be much of a taper but I plan on going into the race fresh-ish.

So I did 53.5 miles on the bike yesterday, half a mile per hour slower than Sunday but hillier first 30, had just ran hills Thursday night, and it was hotter. So overall I feel fine about it.

Today I might do 3, or might just hike with the fam.

Tomorrow, 28 on the bike, 5 run.

M-W-F I'll hit the pool.

T-Th Likely short runs with some intervals.

Saturday, rest.

Sunday race.

Good luck to any & all racing this weekend. Enjoy the time off, take a moment to say thanks for the vets who gave it all for us to enjoy all that we do, GB 'em. Thanks to those that have that served or are still in. As much as we admire the things we do in this thread, you all are the true hero's.

That was an epic report, BnB. Personally I would keep the rock for future motivation.

gruecd -- Glad to have you back. Surgery/recovery went okay?

Elizabeth River Run 10K

As I said before, I didn't think today was a PR day but I would be happy with anything under 40 minutes. Well, I'm not sure I've run a race where I've ever earned it more. I just didn't have it today but I refused to give in and gave all that I had. In the end that was good enough for a 39:56 and 3rd in my age group. This race is normally super fast so I had no expectations of walking away with any hardware but getting on the podium was just the icing on the cake. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a race and not PR.

So much of racing is between your ears. There are so many opportunities to give into the negative thoughts and take the easy way out. You gotta overcome it. There's always going to be faster runners but it's all about getting the best out of ourselves on any given weekend. It's so satisfying when you do and that's why I run.

Oh and a BTW, my wife PR'd by 12 minutes! Ran a 54:19. A faster pace than her best 5K no less!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth River Run 10K

As I said before, I didn't think today was a PR day but I would be happy with anything under 40 minutes today. Well, I'm not sure I've run a race where I've ever earned it more. I just didn't have it today but I refused to give in and gave all that I had. In the end that was good enough for a 39:56 and 3rd in my age group. This race is normally super fast so I had not expectations of walking away with any hardware but getting on the podium was the just icing on the cake. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a race and not PR.

So much of racing is between your ears. There are so many opportunities to give into the negative thoughts and take the easy way out. You gotta overcome it. There's always going to be faster runners but it's all about getting the best out of ourselves on any given weekend. It's so satisfying when you do and that's why I run.

Oh and a BTW, my wife PR'd by 12 minutes! Ran a 54:19. A faster pace than her best 5K no less!
Awesome!! There comes a point in every runner's "career" where they figure out the mental part of this game. You see far too many people throw in the towel because they just don't feel it or aren't hitting some arbitrary time. Kudos for gutting this out!Great job to the wife, too!

Congrats Hang10.

My son took 1st in AG at the 10k distance this morning, 42 min and change. Girlfriend's son took 3rd in AG at the 5k distance, 22 min and change.

20 miles today. Had some serious problems. Intense stomach pain. Heart rate through the moon and I couldnt breathe. Finished at 1:15, Breathing just returned to normal a bit ago.

Everything was great until 15 miles in. Stomach is still awful and we have people coming over at 6pm. I hope it clears a bit by then because the smells that I am producing are indescribable.

Elizabeth River Run 10K

As I said before, I didn't think today was a PR day but I would be happy with anything under 40 minutes. Well, I'm not sure I've run a race where I've ever earned it more. I just didn't have it today but I refused to give in and gave all that I had. In the end that was good enough for a 39:56 and 3rd in my age group. This race is normally super fast so I had no expectations of walking away with any hardware but getting on the podium was just the icing on the cake. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a race and not PR.

Congrats on making your goal! Great job gutting it out. What's your 10K PR?

Speaking of the mental part, the first race I ever ran was a marathon. I was challenged to run it and when accepting the challenge I thought I would do well due to my "incredible willpower". (Yes, I can have a high opinion of myself sometimes!) I still think about that often. Now, I consider the mental part my greatest obstacle in getting better. I cannot count the number of training runs that I bailed on or backed off on not because I couldn't but because I just didn't fell like it. I suspect this is the case for most serious runners, whether they realize it or not.

Twenty miles on the trails today with over 3000' of gain, most of it in a 4+ mile, 2000' climb to the East Peak of Mt. Tam - which led to some pretty amazing views:

Looking down on where I started

Marin and SF Bay

West toward the Pacific from the Peak

Some BnB style technical terrain near the top

I went light on fuel again - 100 calories of UCAN over the first 5 miles, had a camel back with just water and Nuun on the way up, ate a banana at the top, then had a gel and a fruit/chia bar on the way down - so under 500 calories for the 4 1/2 hours. While I experienced some real cardiac drift the last 2-3 miles, my energy was pretty high throughout which I took as a good sign.

I'm just happy to get a run like this in 2 weeks after a trail marathon, and 5 days after being destroyed by a stomach flu.

20 miles today. Had some serious problems. Intense stomach pain. Heart rate through the moon and I couldnt breathe. Finished at 1:15, Breathing just returned to normal a bit ago.

Everything was great until 15 miles in. Stomach is still awful and we have people coming over at 6pm. I hope it clears a bit by then because the smells that I am producing are indescribable.
The worst training run I've ever had was my last 22-miler before my last marathon. GI issues starting at mile 8 and just awful overall. PRed easily three weeks later. Don't sweat it.

The worst training run I've ever had was my last 22-miler before my last marathon. GI issues starting at mile 8 and just awful overall. PRed easily three weeks later. Don't sweat it.
The HR and can't breathe thing is a tad scary, no? Especially since it took quite a while to get his breathing back under control??

The HR and can't breathe thing is a tad scary, no? Especially since it took quite a while to get his breathing back under control??
When I first read this, I guess I just read it as "gee this run really sucked and it's taken me a while to settle down from it." Upon re-reading it I see where you're coming from. You're absolutely right of course that if this is a real HR/breathing issue then yes this is a bigger deal than simple GI stuff. Breathing in particular should be a non-issue for any sort of long run.

What's interesting is I had something similar happen to me last week. I was doing some hill sprints and feeling really well for the most part. On rep #7 I felt like my form was starting to go, so I figured one more and call it a work out. Well, the last rep I take off and my heart is just racing. I actually cut the rep a bit short and I drop to a knee. The workout is over but I'm a mile and half from my gym. Even after a decent break, I start jogging back and I can't seem to get more than a quarter mile with out stopping to walk...I'm totally out of breath. I took like 5 breaks in a 1.5 mile slow jog. It felt sorta like an anxiety attack. I didn't start to feel better until later that day. I chalked it up to possible dehydration but it was a bit scary. I was relieved when I worked out Saturday and my issues didn't reappear.

Elizabeth River Run 10K

Congrats on making your goal! Great job gutting it out. What's your 10K PR?

Speaking of the mental part, the first race I ever ran was a marathon. I was challenged to run it and when accepting the challenge I thought I would do well due to my "incredible willpower". (Yes, I can have a high opinion of myself sometimes!) I still think about that often. Now, I consider the mental part my greatest obstacle in getting better. I cannot count the number of training runs that I bailed on or backed off on not because I couldn't but because I just didn't fell like it. I suspect this is the case for most serious runners, whether they realize it or not.
Ran a 39:25 last October on a long course. Perfect conditions that day though. Yesterday was hotter and wind ended up being a bigger factor that I would have realized. The cool thing about yesterday is that after feeling like crap at the beginning and wanting to mail it in, I actually ran negative splits. Crazy stuff.

Your first race was a marathon? Damn, talk about learning to swim by getting thrown into the deep end.

What's interesting is I had something similar happen to me last week. I was doing some hill sprints and feeling really well for the most part. On rep #7 I felt like my form was starting to go, so I figured one more and call it a work out. Well, the last rep I take off and my heart is just racing. I actually cut the rep a bit short and I drop to a knee. The workout is over but I'm a mile and half from my gym. Even after a decent break, I start jogging back and I can't seem to get more than a quarter mile with out stopping to walk...I'm totally out of breath. I took like 5 breaks in a 1.5 mile slow jog. It felt sorta like an anxiety attack. I didn't start to feel better until later that day. I chalked it up to possible dehydration but it was a bit scary. I was relieved when I worked out Saturday and my issues didn't reappear.
I'm hesitant to post it, but I'd hate myself if I didn't. "It felt sorta like an anxiety attack" is a potential sign of atrial fibrillation. I wouldn't be totally dismissive of it since it didn't happen again. A-fib signs can come and go without a rhyme or reason.

I'd at least call your dr and ask their opinion.

Followed up my nine miles Friday (5 trail) with ten today (6 trail). Took a much more technical route today too. Kinda turned my ankle halfway, but shook it off. Feels fine now. I don't know if I ever had a 33 mile week during marathon training ten years ago, but if I didn't this week was anew record. Celebration part one, complete. Downed three pulled pork burgers and two slaw dogs. Part two coming momentarily now that the kids are in bed...

15 today for no particular reason. We're headed to Florida tomorrow for a family vacation and then I instantly turn around for a site visit afterwards so I won't be doing any serious running for the next week-and-a-half, but I'm not sure why I had it burned it my brain that I "had" to run 15 today since I have absolutely no plans at all for the rest of the year besides possibly a TBA HM in the fall. I didn't even have anything going on at work or any other weird issues to work out.

Mrs. K and I are planning on running 3-4 mornings in Tampa this week, but it's going to be way hotter than either of us are acclimated to. She's talking about doing one 8-10 but I'm guessing that won't happen and 4-5 will be plenty. The job for now is to not get fat over the next couple of weeks and then settle on a fall goal.

I'm hesitant to post it, but I'd hate myself if I didn't."It felt sorta like an anxiety attack" is a potential sign of atrial fibrillation. I wouldn't be totally dismissive of it since it didn't happen again. A-fib signs can come and go without a rhyme or reason.

Appreciate your concern. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again, I'll be sure to see a doctor.

After 5 races (4 visits to the podium :bowtie: ) already this year, I think I'm going to take a mini break from training. It's time to decompress, lift some weights and recharge the batteries a bit. This seems like as good as time as any to do it. I really don't have much desire to race in late June or July anyways. I'm thinking 2 to 3 weeks but we'll see if I have the will power to keep my running shoes in the closet that long.

15 today for no particular reason. We're headed to Florida tomorrow for a family vacation and then I instantly turn around for a site visit afterwards so I won't be doing any serious running for the next week-and-a-half, but I'm not sure why I had it burned it my brain that I "had" to run 15 today since I have absolutely no plans at all for the rest of the year besides possibly a TBA HM in the fall. I didn't even have anything going on at work or any other weird issues to work out.

Mrs. K and I are planning on running 3-4 mornings in Tampa this week, but it's going to be way hotter than either of us are acclimated to. She's talking about doing one 8-10 but I'm guessing that won't happen and 4-5 will be plenty. The job for now is to not get fat over the next couple of weeks and then settle on a fall goal.
Damn - nice. I'm almost in the same situation. Except the running 15 thing.

I had a trip earlier this week, so managed to squeeze in 8 hours of work in the five free days I had this week. Got in a 1500yd swim and a 6 mile run today. Managed 5000yds swimming (note, 2Y - training in progress. :construction: ), 16 miles run, and 74 miles biking. Not bad.

Next 8 days are in Ireland, so workouts will be very ad hoc. Good news is that the suck index is more like 100 there instead of the 150 I did at dusk today. I'm bringing all kinds of athletic stuff, so hopefully get a bunch in. The days there are like 17 hours long right now - all that's keeping me from workout heaven is keeping this broken down old body going.

And like you my goal is not to weigh 300 on the way back.

MAC - nice work! That long stuff will pay off...

Hang10 - just lookin out, GB. Stay smart.

Ivan - enjoy Tampa! We have been going to Apollo Beach to visit family the past couple of years. Enjoy the humidity. :lol:

Sand - Ireland!!!!! You lucky dog.... You better do your best Duck impression and take some running pics.

I'm hesitant to post it, but I'd hate myself if I didn't."It felt sorta like an anxiety attack" is a potential sign of atrial fibrillation. I wouldn't be totally dismissive of it since it didn't happen again. A-fib signs can come and go without a rhyme or reason.

I second this...especially given my family's experiences with A-fib over the last 3 years.

Got 3 miles in yesterday. Legs and ankle feel great...but definitely can feel my lack of "running conditioning". Apparently what I have done with weights, bike, and elliptical are nice and all, but man they have not prepared me for running again.

And I will keep hating the treadmill for at least another week before I take on any hills.

After a few weeks of some reasonable volume (40mpw) I did my first 8/4 tempo run this morning. Gorgeous weather but a touch warm for me...

Holy #### what a run... The four LT miles were 7:08, 7:01, 7:00, 6:56 with avg HR of 172. That HR is skewered a bit. Took me until mile 6 to get up into the right range.

I guess the old adage 'you are what you eat' is pretty true. I'm about five weeks into this diet makeover and really starting to feel the results.

Elizabeth River Run 10K

This is so true. This is why I do it. I often fail but I wont stop trying.

I am very happy for you and your wife, great job!!

Twenty miles on the trails today with over 3000' of gain, most of it in a 4+ mile, 2000' climb to the East Peak of Mt. Tam - which led to some pretty amazing views:

Marin and SF Bay

I went light on fuel again - 100 calories of UCAN over the first 5 miles, had a camel back with just water and Nuun on the way up, ate a banana at the top, then had a gel and a fruit/chia bar on the way down - so under 500 calories for the 4 1/2 hours. While I experienced some real cardiac drift the last 2-3 miles, my energy was pretty high throughout which I took as a good sign.

I'm just happy to get a run like this in 2 weeks after a trail marathon, and 5 days after being destroyed by a stomach flu.
Beautiful

Marin and SF Bay

I don't know how many ways there are to say "you suck" but I'll try to exhaust them as long as you keep posting trail pron like this.

Nice job by all, racers & runners alike. You guys inspire day in & day out

Got up to Michigan for the weekend, which gave me a chance to run a favorite paved, hilly trail that weaves through the countryside. Ran 9, with 7 at a good 8:08/mile tempo including hard pacing on the hills. Our cottage is outside of Rockford, home of Wolverine Worldwide ..who owns both Saucony and Merrell, which I didn't know. They have a great outlet store, and I was able to pick up some Merrell Mix Master trail shoes for $40 (due to a slight defect).

Grue, good to hear you're back at it. Good luck with the comeback.

MAC - I'll again echo the others. Keep up with some of the distance and you will see even better results

H10 - nice race for you and the Mrs. Way to gut it out.

Ned - Wow what a great LT run. You are rolling lately...

I did my first tempoish run the other day. Wasn't intended to be that way but I was back home at the parents and we didn't have a lot of time while they watched the kids. So anyway, I did 2 normal miles and then 3 in 6:50/6:38/6:05. Felt good to roll again and it didn't feel that bad. I think running around Raleigh area which is rolling hills and then going to the flat land of South Jersey helped the time. Then yesterday I did my longest run to date since the injury of 6.5 miles.

I also have to give Mrs. Koby a shout out. She was never a runner in her teens/20s. Got into doing 1-2 mile runs a few times a week before kids and then she had 3 kids. She ran her first 5k ever 6 months after kid 2 in 29:45 and did that with a long run of 3.5 miles. Well, yesterday, not even 4 months after kid 3 (and still carrying 15-20 pounds more than normal) she ran her distance PR of 5 miles in 9:39 pace. Faster than her 5k race pace. I just may make a runner out of her...

MAC - I'll again echo the others. Keep up with some of the distance and you will see even better results

I did my first tempoish run the other day. Wasn't intended to be that way but I was back home at the parents and we didn't have a lot of time while they watched the kids. So anyway, I did 2 normal miles and then 3 in 6:50/6:38/6:05. Felt good to roll again and it didn't feel that bad. I think running around Raleigh area which is rolling hills and then going to the flat land of South Jersey helped the time. Then yesterday I did my longest run to date since the injury of 6.5 miles.

I also have to give Mrs. Koby a shout out. She was never a runner in her teens/20s. Got into doing 1-2 mile runs a few times a week before kids and then she had 3 kids. She ran her first 5k ever 6 months after kid 2 in 29:45 and did that with a long run of 3.5 miles. Well, yesterday, not even 4 months after kid 3 (and still carrying 15-20 pounds more than normal) she ran her distance PR of 5 miles in 9:39 pace. Faster than her 5k race pace. I just may make a runner out of her...
Awesome on both counts! Imagine what she'll do when she drops those baby lbs...... :excited:

Awesome on both counts! Imagine what she'll do when she drops those baby lbs...... :excited:
If Koby said that to her he might just set a new 5k pr getting out of the firing zone.

Been on the shelf for 2 weeks, just sorta lost interest so I just quit for a while. Got fat, lost conditioning and started back today after a lot of inspiration yesterday (along with you guys reminding me what a little ##### I am by these great reports). Ran my 10k route in the hills, kinda funny. Ran it April 1 at 8:45 pace, 154 avg HR. Today 10:33 pace, 154 HR. My shins hate me and I had to walk a few hills. Fat, drunk & stupid is no way to go through life son

Been on the shelf for 2 weeks, just sorta lost interest so I just quit for a while. Got fat, lost conditioning and started back today after a lot of inspiration yesterday (along with you guys reminding me what a little ##### I am by these great reports). Ran my 10k route in the hills, kinda funny. Ran it April 1 at 8:45 pace, 154 avg HR. Today 10:33 pace, 154 HR. My shins hate me and I had to walk a few hills. Fat, drunk & stupid is no way to go through life son
Well, you shouldn't let that happen! Running is enjoyable, and I hear it's cheaper than therapy.

:lmao: I was coming in here to pretty much post the same thing!!! Although my 2 weeks off were ordered by the dr., I did sneek in one 4 mile run last week and was sore for a day!!! The best part was that for the last 3/4 of a mile I was seriously almost in tears as I held in a death sh%$, I've never come that close to shi$$ing myself before. I'm gonna start back with a slow 4 or 5 today and then hit the sauna to stretch it out. I got to start managing my poops better :X

That was an epic report, BnB. Personally I would keep the rock for future motivation.

gruecd -- Glad to have you back. Surgery/recovery went okay?
I need to make time to read that BnB report. I feel like I'm seriously missing out...

And I actually ended up not needing surgery. Still not completely pain-free, but it's been getting better despite the fact that I've been gradually ramping my mileage back up. Probably only a "1" right now on a scale of 1-10. Makes me wanna have some very choice words with the ortho docs who wanted to scope my hip...

Followed up Thursday night's 8-miler with a 14-mile long run on Saturday and a super easy 8-1/2 on Sunday. Finished with 48 miles for the week. Got on the road bike yesterday for the first time this year and rode an easy 22.

Signed up yesterday to do the Bellin 10K on June 14 in Green Bay. Planning on using it as a fitness test to help set my initial training paces for Erie.

Hope you all had a great long weekend!

####, almost forgot. Ran into my ex-GF on Friday night (completely unexpectedly) at the bar. First contact we'd had in almost 3 months, and the emotion was palpable. We talked for a bit that night and again the next day, and we're actually gonna get together for a drink later tonight. No guarantees or promises for the future, and for now we're just gonna focus on getting back on good terms and catching up on each other's lives, but considering how I thought I'd never talk to her again, it's a start. I'm nervous as hell.

Back on the horse yesterday with some speed work.

Speedy Cooper test - 6'52 mile, 2 min rest, 1'32 1/4 mile for a 8'24 total.

Finished up with 8 x 1/8's.

Ankles still hurt like heck, but actually feel good when running.

:lmao: I was coming in here to pretty much post the same thing!!! Although my 2 weeks off were ordered by the dr., I did sneek in one 4 mile run last week and was sore for a day!!! The best part was that for the last 3/4 of a mile I was seriously almost in tears as I held in a death sh%$, I've never come that close to shi$$ing myself before. I'm gonna start back with a slow 4 or 5 today and then hit the sauna to stretch it out. I got to start managing my poops better :X
Been on the shelf too, but I desperately want to get out there. My calf/hammy hurts in a new kind of way so letting this rest a good long while before pushing it again. very frustrating, as I knew this year would be.

Well, you shouldn't let that happen! Running is enjoyable, and I hear it's cheaper than therapy.
Yea and that was the problem, for the first time in my short running career, it wasn't. It started to feel like a job and I just wasn't enjoying the early morning grind. Pretty sure I just need(ed) a swift kick in the ###

Below is what I've done over the last 10 days, sorry for the poor copy and paste

May 17 9 miles Level 3

May 18 4 miles Level 3 100 push up's

May 19 5 miles Level 1

May 20 6 miles Level 2 Hills + burpes

May 21 Off

May 22 5 miles Level 4 100 dips + 100 push up's + 100 jumping lunges + 20 burpees + 5 200 m sprints

May 23 9 miles Level 3 Hilly trails

May 24 Off

May 25 10 miles Level 3 Hilly trails

May 26 4 miles Level 1 100 push up's

And here is my plan from tonight until tentative race day Sun June 22.

May 27 4 miles Level 3 One-two mins on, two-four mins off. 'On' portion sub 5K race.

May 28 Off

May 29 3 miles Level 4 Speed + strength training

May 30 4 miles Level 2 One-two mins on, two-four mins off. 'On' portion 5K pace.

May 31 Off

June 1 5k race Treating it as a trial

June 2 6 miles Level 2 Hills + strength training

June 3 3 miles Level 4 Speed training

June 4 Off

June 5 5 miles Level 4 One-two mins on, two-four mins off. 'On' portion sub 5K pace.

June 6 3 miles Level 1 Strength training

June 7 9 miles Level 3 Hilly trails

June 8 Off

June 9 5 miles Level 4 One-two mins on, two-four mins off. 'On' portion sub 5K pace.

June 10 6 miles Level 2 Hills + strength training

June 11 3 miles Level 4 Speed training

June 12 4 miles Level 1 Strength training

June 13 Off

June 14 5K trial

June 15 9 miles Level 3 Hilly trails

June 16 3 miles Level 1 Strength training

June 17 4 miles Level 4 One-two mins on, two-four mins off. 'On' portion sub 5K pace.

June 18 Off

June 19 3 miles Level 1 Strength training

June 20 4 miles Level 2 One-two mins on, two-four mins off. 'On' portion 5K pace.

June 21 Off

June 22 5K race day

Just looking for some feedback. I may not race June 22, but if I don't I will the following week. That week of training would look similar to the one leading up to June 22.

Below is what I've done over the last 10 days, sorry for the poor copy and paste

Just looking for some feedback. I may not race June 22, but if I don't I will the following week. That week of training would look similar to the one leading up to June 22.

**EDIT - posted even worse than I thought it would, will revise and re-post soon...
Looks like you're following beer30 and CGRdrJoe's training plan.

**EDIT - posted even worse than I thought it would, will revise and re-post soon...
:lmao:

:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:

Been on the shelf too, but I desperately want to get out there. My calf/hammy hurts in a new kind of way so letting this rest a good long while before pushing it again. very frustrating, as I knew this year would be.
I had never even heard of a quadracep tendon before injuring mine. I think the hardest part now is going to be trying to focus on a comfortable pace instead of trying to run out and regain where I was at. Getting old f'n sucks

I had never even heard of a quadracep tendon before injuring mine. I think the hardest part now is going to be trying to focus on a comfortable pace instead of trying to run out and regain where I was at. Getting old f'n sucks
The bolded is incredibly hard to accept. If you figure out the trick, please share.

Users who are viewing this thread