What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrance West vs Isaiah Crowell (1 Viewer)

Who is the Browns RB to own

• Terrance West

Votes: 208 48.9%
  • Isaiah Crowell

Votes: 217 51.1%

• Total voters
Rodgers was cut
I think the short leash had everything to do with that. When the other young Bills WRs showed they weren't toads, BUF cut the risk. Might be a move they end up regretting after what Rodgers showed towards the end of last season. We have to wait and see. Rodgers looks like he acquired some serious humility and showed complete contrition - at least that's what I saw. Time will tell. But I'm not sure Crowell has had his "come to Jesus" moment yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is like asking last year, who is the Bills WR to own Robert Woods or DaRick Rodgers?
That's a great analogy actually.
So.....what is the answer to that question? Seriously, I owned neither in any of my leagues and didn't keep an eye on the Bills WR's at all last year.
The answer to that question is Rogers in much the same way Crowell is the answer. I'd still take Rogers over Woods today. In my start up two weeks ago Rogers went 14.08 and Woods went 16.01, so I know there is at least one other person who feels the same. Woods was the third targets behind Stevie Johnson and Chandler and got 40 catches. The Bills moved Johnson and added Watkins and Mike Williams. What impact are you expecting from Woods? Do you think he will even be top 30 in two years? I don't. I rather take the chance on the talented knucklehead who might actually impact my starting lineup.

This is like asking last year, who is the Bills WR to own Robert Woods or DaRick Rodgers?
That's a great analogy actually.
So.....what is the answer to that question? Seriously, I owned neither in any of my leagues and didn't keep an eye on the Bills WR's at all last year.
The answer to that question is Rogers in much the same way Crowell is the answer. I'd still take Rogers over Woods today. In my start up two weeks ago Rogers went 14.08 and Woods went 16.01, so I know there is at least one other person who feels the same. Woods was the third targets behind Stevie Johnson and Chandler and got 40 catches. The Bills moved Johnson and added Watkins and Mike Williams. What impact are you expecting from Woods? Do you think he will even be top 30 in two years? I don't. I rather take the chance on the talented knucklehead who might actually impact my starting lineup.
I have very little faith in Rogers, and think it's foolish to take him over Woods. The Colts gave more playing time to Griff Whalen than Rogers in the playoffs, went out and signed Nicks, and drafted Moncrief. Add that to the fact that Rogers went undrafted and has already washed out with one team and you have a recipe for NFL and fantasy irrelevance. I've been saying it for a while, don't waste a roster spot on knuckleheads like Crowell or Rogers. You'll be better off.

I would not be at all surprised if Crowell isn't even on the Browns by the time the season starts. It's more likely he will be in jail than contributing to a fantasy line-up in the next two years. West on the other hand will definitely be on the roster, and that alone, even without all the other info we have, should answer the question to this thread.

Seems like RB Ben Tate is the starter but its crowded and could turn into a full-blown RBBC especially if Crowell sticks and makes it into the picture.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/why_the_cleveland_browns_could.html

... From drafting a mobile quarterback to adding three running backs to upgrading the offensive line to changing the blocking schemes, there seems a strong commitment to running the ball.

The Browns ranked 30th in rushing attempts last season with a team that started Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell at quarterback in all but three games. They did so despite trailing by more than six points just four times heading into the fourth quarter.

That's a preposterous imbalance, one more reflective of talent dearth than coaching competency. Pettine, who began his NFL career with division-rival Baltimore, and also has worked in New York and Buffalo, understands the importance of "an all-weather offense."

...They acquired top free agent Ben Tate, traded up to snare Towson's Terrence West in the third round and signed Alabama State's Isaiah Crowell as an undrafted free agent. They also have Dion Lewis returning from a broken leg suffered last preseason and Baker, who was the team's most effective runner at the end of 2013.

Beyond buoying the backfield, they used a second-round pick to draft a nasty guard in Joel Bitonio, and added another blocking tight end in Jim Dray.

There's no guaranteed 1,000-yard rusher on the roster, especially in an era of running back by committee. But it's an intriguing collection of players with something to prove and it should drive competition throughout training camp.

Tate wants to emerge from Arian Foster's shadow. West and Crowell want to show they're more than small-college sensations.

Pettine was asked about the Tate-West tandem on Wednesday.

"It's difficult when it's not live – you don't have pads on – but just the way I think they're both always looking to work north and south. ... It's encouraging when you get the feel you're going to have runners that are going to get yardage after contact and are very rarely going to get knocked back," he said.

Crowell has been idle with an undisclosed injury during the last two practices attended by the media, but he bears watching in training camp. He gained 850 yards and earned SEC Freshman of the Year honors at Georgia in 2011. The school cut ties with Crowell after he was arrested for weapons-related charges that ultimately were dismissed.

Concerns about character and attitude issues contributed to the 5-11, 224-pound back falling out of the draft. CBS Sports draft expert Dane Brugler said Crowell possesses "first-round ability." Alabama State coach Reggie Barlow likens him to Fred Taylor and said "there's no doubt in my mind he's the best running back in this (draft) class."

Crowell must prove it, but he gives the Browns another option in a Shanahan offense that finished top five in rushing the past two seasons. Those totals were affected by Robert Griffin III's mobility, a trait shared by Manziel.

kurtrudder said:
I'm happy to take risks on players that I can get for cheap. Crowell for me.
But the ADP's say the Crowell isn't cheap. Their ADP's are almost identical, with some leagues Crowell going ahead of West. To me, that is just insanity. He is an UDFA and West was drafted in the 3rd round, 6th RB off the board. When 32 teams pass on you, there are good reasons for that. Even as someone said, not taking a 7th round flyer on you. Crowell stuffs up once and he is gone. You'd have to think Colt Lyerla is in the same boat. His ADP has gone through the roof too but that is for another topic.
West also says the Ravens were planning to take him if he was available, but the Browns beat them to the punch.

I think CLE paid Crowell $10,000, which isn't top tier for priority free agents (Rams signed the 2012 Division II National Defensive Player of the Year to twice that amount, and some have received more than that?).

Neither. Johnny Manziel is a running QB. He will vulture attempts, yards, and touchdowns from all Browns RBs. West would be a nice player on a different team but completely overvalued because Manziel will kill his value. Do not draft Browns RBs.

Alfred Morris, the guy West is compared to by some (a star in Shanahan's offense, now CLE OC), did pretty good with a running QB in RG3. At times, it may have helped, because defenders tasked with accounting for the QB were not able to attend to Morris as well.

Neither. Johnny Manziel is a running QB. He will vulture attempts, yards, and touchdowns from all Browns RBs. West would be a nice player on a different team but completely overvalued because Manziel will kill his value. Do not draft Browns RBs.
I disagree with your simplistic answer - Michael Vick was a running QB and both Dunn and Duckett put up good numbers.

I disagree with your simplistic answer - Michael Vick was a running QB and both Dunn and Duckett put up good numbers.
Well in the Vick years, the Falcons would throw like 330 times and run 530 times.

Here are the IFs

IF Manziel doesn't run a lot.

IF the Browns run 150 times more than they pass.

IF West suddenly becomes a receiving threat out of the backfield.

IF West clearly wins the starting job and its not RBBC.

Then, West is a steal.

But realistically the stars won't align this way. Its just too much to ask.

I would need to read that Pettine said that the Browns will be run-first to think West has a chance. But I can't find that anywhere.

Well in the Vick years, the Falcons would throw like 330 times and run 530 times.

Here are the IFs

IF Manziel doesn't run a lot.

IF the Browns run 150 times more than they pass.

IF West suddenly becomes a threat out of the backfield.

IF West clearly wins the starting job and its not RBBC.

Then, West is a steal.

But realistically the stars won't align this way. Its just too much to ask.

I would need to read that Pettine said that the Browns will be run-first to think West has a chance. But I can't find that anywhere.
How about they just have a normal balanced offense... Why is that so hard to believe?

Kyle Shanahan is the offense coordinator of the Browns.

HIs track record can be found here:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanKy0.htm

He has been an OC for 6 seasons in the NFL. 2 with the Texans, 4 with the Redskins. His offenses only ran more than passed once, in 2012. The other 5 years they were pass first, and in most cases HEAVILY slanted in favor of the pass. Last year he threw 611 times and ran 453 times. Two years ago he passed 591 times and only ran it 400 times.

Unless you get the 2012 version, odds are he will be pass first.

Schaub wasn't a running QB like RG3 (or Manziel), so what happened in HOU probably wasn't a good indicator of what to expect from an offense that had RG3 as a focal point, or what one centered around Manziel might look like. HOU had Andre Johnson, and Schaub was a vet. By not taking a WR in the draft knowing Gordon might not be available at all in 2014, drafting a strong run blocking street fighter OL in Bitonio, and maybe looking to protect a rookie QB by limiting passing mistakes and emphasizing the run game, there could be a lot of opportunity for RBs in CLE, whoever emerges.

Whatever the WAS pass/run split was in 2013 relative to 2012, Morris was very productive in both instances.

Schaub wasn't a running QB like RG3 (or Manziel), so what happened in HOU probably wasn't a good indicator of what to expect from an offense that had RG3 as a focal point, or what one centered around Manziel might look like. HOU had Andre Johnson, and Schaub was a vet. By not taking a WR in the draft knowing Gordon might not be available at all in 2014, drafting a strong run blocking street fighter OL in Bitonio, and maybe looking to protect a rookie QB by limiting passing mistakes and emphasizing the run game, there could be a lot of opportunity for RBs in CLE, whoever emerges.

Whatever the WAS pass/run split was in 2013 relative to 2012, Morris was very productive in both instances.
The bottom line is that I need to hear Pettine say they will be run first to counter Kyle Shanahan's track record. If you feel differently, fine. I will say West is a nonfactor.

You could be right, I just don't think the examples you have chosen are making the point you are trying to.

The success of Morris in WAS and with Shanahan as OC BOTH years is hard to explain away and seemingly at odds with your contention.

The bottom line is that I need to hear Pettine say they will be run first to counter Kyle Shanahan's track record. If you feel differently, fine. I will say West is a nonfactor.
As will Crowell. Ben Tate was one of the top FA rbs this year and is only 25. Neither Crowell nor West are anything more than an injury handcuff for the next 2 years minimum

I took Crowell at 3.02 in one league that West went 2.03. I do think that 3.02 is a little high for an UDFA but I already had 4 picks (Evans,Ebron,Adams,Freeman) and felt I could afford the risk at that pick. I also think West went a bit too high. Tate is the starter so for either West or Crowell to see significant time it's going to take an injury and even then it's probably going to be a RBBC. I like them both so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think Crowell is the choice for only two kinds of teams: total re-builds, since you aren't winning anything for awhile, and Championship teams, since it's worth the risk and you just won the title so you probably feel like you can take more risk. But for most teams, 9 or 10 in an average league, the choice should be West.

The one good thing about Crowell is that you should know something pretty quickly. I think it was a famous tech businessman, Jobs or Gates, who said 'you're going to fail in this business, so fail fast'. A guy like Crowell should fail, or look like he can make it, by the early part of the season if not sooner.

I think there are several parallels the last several years in Bryce Brown and Da'Rick Rogers and also with Colt Lyerla this year. They should 'fail fast'. However you probably also need to consider the organization. Brown went to a solid, well thought of organization in the Eagles and he has held on. Now he's obviously not a success and he may never get there as a Bill, but he certainly retained some value the last several years. Lyerla is in a similar situation as a Packer. That's a damn well run organization. If they waive him, you're best bet is to cut bait.

However Rogers and Crowell are in a different place. Rogers was taken by a Buffalo organization that has not shown a lot of smarts lately. So cutting him quickly may not be the end, expecially since he was picked up by a very good organization in the Colts. With Crowell, certainly the Browns are not thought of as being a good organization lately. So a quick hook from them may not be the death knell for his value, although like Rogers you'd want to see him picked up by a quality organization soon after that.

Edit to add: I took Crowell as the 25th pick in our rookie draft after winning the title last year. So I'm rooting for him, but it's a lottery ticket.

Observations from local beat writer from this morning per RBs.

Article says RB Dion Lewis has a shot to carve out a role and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Dion isn't getting any respect but last year he flashed big-time and was destined for a big role but he got injured in preseason.

Everything I've heard, so far, about West has been positive. Haven't heard much at all about Crowell yet.

RB Ben Tate is assumed to be the starting RB in every report I've read but this is the first that has stated Terrance West is 'destined for a big role.'

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20140531/Sports/140539859#140539859?Start=3&_suid=1401635066027013448804848822965

16. Rookie Round 3 pick Terrance West has a dancer’s feet but a sniper’s eye. He seems to sense when to dance and when to cut and go.

17. Scatback Dion Lewis has a chance to carve a role. That’s partly because West and new feature back Ben Tate are similar in size and style, whereas the waterbug Lewis would give defenses a different look to worry about.

18. The grand scheme is to get leads and ride them out with runs from fresh running backs who thrive in the new zone scheme.

That means the rookie, West, is destined for a big role. At times, he might be the main back used on some late series. More often, he will get plenty of earlier carries, and Tate will be relied on to churn out key yards and hold onto the rock.

Doesn't this seem contradictory to the point of being meaningless? West will be used late and he will be used early? So, what is his role exactly? To be used late and run out the clock? Or, to be used early and establish the run? Who knows from this.

But, Tate will be relied on to "churn out key yards and hold onto the rock." Don't you expect all backs to "hold onto the rock"?

The grand scheme is to get leads and ride them out with runs from fresh running backs who thrive in the new zone scheme.
That means the rookie, West, is destined for a big role. At times, he might be the main back used on some late series. More often, he will get plenty of earlier carries, and Tate will be relied on to churn out key yards and hold onto the rock.
Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20140531/Sports/140539859#ixzz33PbtpRy6

Does it say anything that a team that had knowledge of the Gordon situation and got burned by him still decided to take this chance?

Is it reasonable to think that Tate might miss some playing time here or there and boost the playing chances for west and Crowell?

In today's nfl, RBs are so deflated that it's not hard for me to see scenarios where a guy with talent doesn't get drafted. They are so interchangeable. So when you and your 31 peers all know this and think the same way, you have little compelling you to actually spend a draft pick on something you know you can get for free any day of the week.

I agree with the thought that Crowell can easily be better and be a ff factor but can also be nothing. So he is essentially a lottery ticket for teams that are terrible or have an embarrassment of riches and can afford it.

In today's nfl, RBs are so deflated that it's not hard for me to see scenarios where a guy with talent doesn't get drafted. They are so interchangeable. So when you and your 31 peers all know this and think the same way, you have little compelling you to actually spend a draft pick on something you know you can get for free any day of the week.
It's one thing to have value deflated. That teams didn't even use their last draft pick - meaning he had less value than all the other 7th rounders to NFL teams - on a guy that is being touted as the most talented runner in this year's class is a whole different matter.

If Crowell had that much talent in the eyes of NFL scouts, he'd have been drafted.
This
He's a RB, many teams feel they don't need to invest much on the position. The very coaching staff he went to especially.
The same team that traded UP to draft another RB in the 3rd round?
yeah I know right, sheesh sometimes people make FF out too be so complex and hard, its not.

DaRick rodgers vs Woods is an interesting comparison, Buffalo cut him, and Indy thought so much of Rodgers that they signed Nicks (for 1 year I know) and drafted Donte Moncrief. you tell me if they hold Rodgers in high regard, could be a cap casualty.

If Crowell had that much talent in the eyes of NFL scouts, he'd have been drafted.
This
He's a RB, many teams feel they don't need to invest much on the position. The very coaching staff he went to especially.
yeah I know right, sheesh sometimes people make FF out too be so complex and hard, its not.
Or they just don't/can't admit they may have been wrong. A guy many thought was the best running talent in this class went undrafted. Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't. It's pretty clear that was a bad call either way.

This
Or they just don't/can't admit they may have been wrong. A guy many thought was the best running talent in this class went undrafted. Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't. It's pretty clear that was a bad call either way.
It's this, but also because everyone wants to "call" the next big thing. What's more fun - drafting the guy that was taken early and everyone knows about, or drafting Arian Foster or Alfred Morris?

I just find it funny that everyone watches YouTube clips and calls it film. "I watched the film on this kid" always cracks me up. More like, "I googled his name and his highlight video with a rap song for a soundtrack came up."

Highlights aren't film.

Actual games are film.

Coach's tape would be better but we don't have access to most of it. Yet.

Anyway, dismissing Crowell would be foolish, but thinking he may be ahead of West right now may be dumber. Crowell is over priced right now. If you like him plan to buy him in October.

Highlights aren't film.

Actual games are film.

Anyway, dismissing Crowell would be foolish, but thinking he may be ahead of West right now may be dumber. Crowell is over priced right now. If you like him plan to buy him in October.
If he hits or shows flashes in TC/PS October is way too late. If he doesn't, it doesn't matter when he's available. If you want to be the smartest kid in the class you've got to do better than that.

Highlights aren't film.

Actual games are film.

If he hits or shows flashes in TC/PS October is way too late. If he doesn't, it doesn't matter when he's available. If you want to be the smartest kid in the class you've got to do better than that.
I prefer McKinnon and Taliaferro in the mid and late rounds than Crowell who went in the early second. If I like what I see in July and August then he doesn't see the field I'll look to buy at a more appropriate price then.

Highlights aren't film.

Actual games are film.

I prefer McKinnon and Taliaferro in the mid and late rounds than Crowell who went in the early second. If I like what I see in July and August then he doesn't see the field I'll look to buy at a more appropriate price then.
And if you like what you see, I suppose you think you're the only one who does.

Like I said, the October buy advice is meaningless.

If I miss the window then so be it. There will be others. Can't have everyone I like. Generally speaking picking a udfa in the second round of a rookie draft over second round nfl draft picks and in some cases first round qb's is dumb. I'll try to get him when he represents value. If he never does. Oh well.

If I miss the window then so be it. There will be others. Can't have everyone I like. Generally speaking picking a udfa in the second round of a rookie draft over second round nfl draft picks and in some cases first round qb's is dumb. I'll try to get him when he represents value. If he never does. Oh well.
Yup. The problem I'm seeing is that the guys who ended up with Crowell reached for him big time. So, it's pretty likely they are the same ones who think he's the best RB of all the rookies despite the evidence against that. In other words, they are irrational about the price Crowell should go for. If Crowell shows any life at all in TC you can bet his cost to buy will be unrealistic. I think the only time to buy will be if he flops early but remains in the NFL on a team.

In my three drafts, West went mid 2nd to early 3rd, whereas Crowell went early to mid 3rd. I would take Crowell every time at those prices. For RB's, I trust the conclusions I draw when there is enough tape (YouTube videos). I think once they start playing for real, Crowell will quickly show that he is the better player.

Article on West from yesterday.

West shined in recent OTAs while Crowell wasn't able to participate due to injury.

Beat writers really liked what they saw of West.

This is a different perspective from a fantasy point of view.

They don't even mention Crowell and they discount Ben Tate as being over rated and a player who they feel will miss time due to injury so they see West getting an opportunity to start.

Secondly they like West's fit for Shanahan's scheme. Its been reported from OTAs that West does indeed fit this system to a 'T'. He's got that great one-cut burst and I noticed from tape that when he cuts its not only decisive but his pivot foot is strong and allows him a wifer lateral target than a back who doesn't have that strong pivot-foot when they cut up field.

I noticed when Crowell cuts, he uses a strong upper body to bash and break off of defenders. He's a totally different 'style' of runner than Terrance West so I'm really curious how he will fit once he's on the field but right now it looks like West is a natural fit for Shanny's system.

Lsat point they made was West's ADP makes him a bargain for the potential upside.

Here's the full read:

http://gridironexperts.com/terrance-west-fantasy-2014

Terrance West and The Path to Fantasy Success

Written By: Matt Harmon
Published: June 6, 2014

Terrance West Fantasy PreviewFantasy owners are always on the lookout for a breakout running back. Oftentimes, the current crop of rookies is the best place to search for the next big thing.

The 2014 draft’s running back class has a number of intriguing fantasy options. By far, Bishop Sankey went into the best situation with the Titans. Carlos Hyde and Jeremy Hill will play for run heavy teams. Even Devonta Freeman and James White are underrated, and in good places to thrive. Through it all, I think the rookie in the best position for fantasy success is Terrance West.

TalentThere wasn’t much consensus when it came to this draft’s running backs. Evaluator’s opinions of Terrance West were no exception. CBS’s Dane Brugler was high on West as the 89th ranked player in the draft. Yet, some experts didn’t even list him as a top 10 running back. Many were quite worried about West’s small school background, coming from Towson University.

I was on the high-end of the pre-draft Terrance West projections, as he was my fifth ranked running back. West is a well-built runner; weighing in at 225 pounds with 4.54 speed. He was the far superior player amongst his peers on his college tape, which is what you want to see in small school prospects. You’d be hard pressed to find many plays where he went down on first contact. West has the wiggle, balance and foot quickness many men his size lack. He can stop and start with ease, before slamming through the heart of the defense.

West generally displayed good vision in college, but was better once he crossed the line of scrimmage. He could work on identifying lanes and processing them faster. West only amassed 30 receptions at Towson, but shows the skills needed to improve there. He has soft hands and nice spatial awareness. His weaknesses are minor ones and should improve with time in the NFL.

After the draft ended, RotoViz published plenty of pro-West content. The site known for their advanced statistical and metric analysis believes West is the Browns’ back to own. Many are worried that a fellow rookie, the undrafted Isaiah Crowell, will overtake West. Most view Crowell as the more talented player, but RotoViz’s Jeremy Hardt (@FantasyGumshoe) asserts West’s college production makes him the superior prospect.

Terrance West is talented enough to win a lead running back job in the NFL. He just needs to follow the path laid out for him.

Opportunity

When talent meets opportunity, it marks the start of a beautiful fantasy football relationship. Terrance West has the talent, but also finds a favorable situation in Cleveland.

The Browns added Ben Tate as a free agent when the Texans did not bring him back. Cleveland’s running game was dreadful last season. The popular assumption was Tate would remedy the situation. Fantasy owners were quick to agree. The early offseason chatter revolved around Tate being a popular draft target and approaching fantasy RB2 territory. The trouble is, the fantasy community overrated Tate from the start.

It seems like this is Tate’s first crack at a starting job. We’ve forgotten that Tate already had his chance to shine as a primary back last season. He did nothing to seize the day. After Houston lost Arian Foster for the season, Tate only managed a single 100-yard rushing day. His three rushing touchdowns all came in one contest. His production was underwhelming in fantasy leagues too. He had a 28-point bonanza against the Patriots when he scored those three touchdowns. Other than that, he only hit double-digit points once (in standard leagues) and never showed the ability of a featured back.

Despite all that, Tate’s biggest issue isn’t his performance. The former Auburn running back hasn’t been able to stay healthy with any sort of regularity. He missed his entire rookie season and was passed up by Foster. Since then, Tate has missed at least one game every year he’s played in the NFL. It would be an anomaly if Tate starts every game for Cleveland in 2014.

Whether through an injury to Tate, or by simply outplaying him, Terrance West will get a shot at the starting gig. The Browns only sank $7 million over two years into their free agent running back. The front office showed more of an infatuation with West by trading up from the fourth into the third round to take him. The table is set for West. When he bellies up to it, he’ll find a prosperous situation.

Scheme and SituationTalent and opportunity are ingredients for a tasty fantasy treat. If you want to graduate to a five-star option, you’ll need to mix in a good situation. Landing with Cleveland provided Terrance West with a fine compliment to his talent and opportunity.

The Browns made a big commitment to their running game when they hired Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator. The zone-blocking scheme Shanahan’s father, Mike, made famous has been proficient in churning out productive rushing attacks. With father and son united in Washington, the 2012 and 2013 Redskins ranked as a top-five rushing attack, in terms of both yards and yards per carry.

Kyle Shanahan took plenty of abuse for the way things unraveled in Washington. However, there is no denying that the system he employs produces bountiful running games. It’s reasonable to expect that Shanahan will thrive in his third stint as offensive coordinator; out from under the shadows of his father and Gary Kubiak.

The surrounding talent on the Browns’ roster also paints a favorable picture for West. The offensive line looks especially strong. Left tackle Joe Thomas, and center Alex Mack are among the best at their positions. John Greco and Mitchell Schwartz are above-average veterans at guard and right tackle, respectively. Cleveland also took Joel Bitonio in the second round to finish out the group. Bitonio was a college tackle, but profiles as an excellent NFL guard. He has the athleticism and movement skills to be a great starter in the zone-blocking scheme. This unit should have no trouble blasting open lanes for West.

There is also the Johnny Manziel factor. Fantasy owners are quite familiar with what a mobile quarterback can do for a running back. Chris Johnson was legendary with Vince Young in the backfield, but mediocre since then. Whether it’s read option plays, or the loss of a defender to spy the quarterback, running backs get more room with mobile passers.

Terrance West should reap similar benefits playing alongside Manziel. The rookie passer is a rushing threat and unravels defense with his improvisational style.

Playing in a system with a great running reputation, behind a solid line and a mobile quarterback, Terrance West finds three factors that indicate future success in Cleveland.

ADPs and Predicting the OutcomeHere at the beginning of June, it’s very early in the fantasy football process. Things can change, but as it stands today, Terrance West is projected as a great value.

Fantasy Football Calculator has West’s current re-draft ADP at 9.03. That’s a fine spot to take a chance on a rookie in a great situation. Other sites have West going at an even greater value. My Fantasy League’s ADP results have him as the seventh rookie running back off the board. Plenty of rookies landed in nice spots, but West going that low is lunacy.

The data shows that there’s a strong chance your fellow drafters are underrating West. He’ll be available to grab as your RB4. Still, it’s always better to be early than late when targeting potential steals. Therefore—if the current trends stand—you should plan to make West your eighth round pick. It’s a step above his current ADP, but the move is worth it. The eighth round projections are littered with middling veteran options at the position. Take a chance on youth and upside over guys like DeAngelo Williams, Fred Jackson and Darren McFadden.

West has a clear path to fantasy success right off the bat, despite a few obstacles. Could Ben Tate stay healthy and hold the job? Sure, but history shows that’s unlikely. Will talent win out and Isaiah Crowell steals the spotlight? Perhaps, but the Browns actions show they want West to be the future.

The front office traded up for Terrance West, so they clearly believe in his talent level. The team has a strong offensive line, a new mobile quarterback and an offensive system known for running the ball. It’s not crazy to think West wins this job out of camp and emerges as a surprise 1,000-yard rookie. The stars are all aligned for that scenario to take place. At worst, West snags the job from a banged up Tate at some point. With a fresh West next to Manziel late in the season, he could be a major asset in the race to the fantasy playoffs.

The experts and fans will all be talking about Sankey as the premier 2014 rookie running back. Let them. Be savvy and see that West is a more talented player and in a pretty nice spot himself. Terrance West could be the best long-term fantasy running back from this draft class. You don’t want to miss out on him.

Those guys seem pretty quick to overlook that Tate ran with broken ribs for 6 weeks. Hard to bring your best stuff playing injured and with Case Keenum as your QB.

Tate likely isn't in their long term plans. West will have a great opportunity to distinguish himself and possibly take over sooner rather than later.

REDRUM26 said:
If Crowell behaves its not close
This! From a pure talent standpoint, he's the most gifted RB on their roster. I'm looking to forward to watching Crowell and West in training camp, that is if Crowell doesn't get in trouble between now and then.

Crowell over West considering ADP. Although I always try not buy into any UDFA hype, I can't resist here.

Crowell has speed accompanied by some kind of burst packed into a big frame. He makes one cut and gets up field, using good instinct. His flexibility allows subtle fakes while his momentum continues forward - so his elusiveness does not sacrifice his inertia. He won't always make a defender miss, but he will at least fall forward for a yard or two.I believe he has almost everything you want in a bell cow running back.

He doesn't quite make a perfect prospect, though - hence he went undrafted. He runs sort of straight-line-ish; you'd like to see more lateral agility. And of course you can't talk about Crowell without mentioning the baggage and the small school tag. He definitely brings uncertainty along with talent.

I'll accept the risk, choosing to swing for the fences. Go for the home run in the 2nd/3rd round of rookie drafts. Where no sure thing exists, I want the upside.

Update on first day of mandatory Browns mini-camp.

Undrafted free agent RB Isaih Crowell still not able to practice due to undisclosed injury.

Still very-early but latest reports are that rookie 3rd round draft pick RB Terrance West not only has looked good but according to reports media pundits say he's looked better than starting free agent RB Ben Tate.

Just passing on latest for those interested.

Update on first day of mandatory Browns mini-camp.

Undrafted free agent RB Isaih Crowell still not able to practice due to undisclosed injury.

Still very-early but latest reports are that rookie 3rd round draft pick RB Terrance West not only has looked good but according to reports media pundits say he's looked better than starting free agent RB Ben Tate.

Just passing on latest for those interested.
Were there pads involved?

I think it is all about price. In my two leagues West went much higher than Crowell. I would rather take a shot with Crowell with the later pick that I don't really mind losing if he flops. If he gets cut, you move on, while West may just be sitting for yr or two until you know. In my leagues went as followed and I would probably take Crowell both times.

A - West 1.09, Crowell 3.05

B - West 3.02, Crowell 4.04

I voted West, but I think people are being too quick to dismiss Ben Tate. Sure, Tate failed to capitalize upon a grand opportunity last season, but he showed some real grit in playing through four broken ribs. Tate is a complete back, and he will be playing in a similar offense to that which he had some success in at Houston. I think the injury-prone tag is not warranted here, and Tate should hold off both West and Crowell for the immediate future.

I love Terrance West's blue-collar effort as a runner, and he is extremely talented and instinctive in his own right. Moreover, like Tate, West fits perfectly in the zone-running scheme Cleveland is deploying. Charley Casserly has thrown his hat in the Terrance West ring, predicting West would beat out Tate for the starting gig. West must make a big leap from tiny Towson University to the NFL, but considering West's path to get to this point, I wouldn't bet against him succeeding in the NFL. He is humble, dedicated and focused.

Isaiah Crowell, on the other hand, represents the opposite end of the spectrum from West. Crowell is long on potential, and if he can dedicate himself to football and staying out of trouble, he could be a real gem for the Browns, but Crowell has yet to show the kind of sustained effort which is necessary for long-term success at this level. Perhaps Crowell will play with a chip on his shoulder and redeem himself, but until I see it on the field, I am unwilling to invest much to acquire him. If Crowell falls far enough, he is undoubtedly worth rolling the dice on, but he has been going a bit too high in some rookie drafts.

This will be one of the more intriguing battles in Camp and preseason.

Users who are viewing this thread