What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Ghana had possession 59-41. For a lot of the second half, our offense was missing in action. Poor passing, nothing much developing.

There is no way the USA deserved to win this game. But, a couple of brilliant plays can make up for a lot of mediocrity. Soccer is like that. And the chances have gone the other way for the US, too.

I'll take the moral defeat, and rejoice in the undeserved victory!
:shrug: I thought they deserved it - did not give up many good chances, and took their own chances well.
I don't know a deserve, but it wasn't like Ghana was doing a whole lot with their possession either. They'd get to 5 yards outside our box and lacked the ability to really break us down. Whatever though, it's a fantastic 3 points that we don't have to give back.

It's time for your favorite game show "HELP AN IDIOT!"

Can the US sub in another player in the event of injury that is not currently on the roster?
Nope.
Landon Donovan: happy or sad to see JA get hurt?
The guys who might have a case for being unfairly left off because they could play Jozys role are Eddie Johnson or Terrence Boyd.
JK kept calling LD a forward
You get that there are different kinds of forwards, right? Bacon is a forward, but he's not a hold-up forward. It's like asking Messi to do the same things as Benzema.
Nothing says we need to play a player in that role, particularly if those are the best choices.

Can the US sub in another player in the event of injury that is not currently on the roster?
Nope.
The guys who might have a case for being unfairly left off because they could play Jozys role are Eddie Johnson or Terrence Boyd.
You get that there are different kinds of forwards, right? Bacon is a forward, but he's not a hold-up forward. It's like asking Messi to do the same things as Benzema.
Miss a lot of chances, get called offsides 15 times a game and get outscored by Aspas?

had to ;)

Nope.
Miss a lot of chances, get called offsides 15 times a game and get outscored by Aspas?

had to ;)
Not even dominating Honduras can shut you up! Don't mock my Benzrection.

Watched German game.

Has not booked a flight out until after the finals - anything is possible, but not that we have to expect it.

Does not know what to expect from "angry Ronaldo" Need to step it up to get a result against portugal and germany

lol - African reporter asked if JK would like to take Ghana though to the next round if the US make it - JK just laughed and said that would be difficult with Germany's 4-0 win

Klinsman - Besler should be fine. Clint needs to shake it off - "I broke mine 3-4 times"
Klinsy is a glorious ****. I love him.
Rules
Dempsey's eyes did not look good. He got his bell run pretty bad there.
They don't concussion test, do they? Agree he got rocked.
MLS does (basically the Twellman rule). I am unsure what the rules are for FIFA.

Ghana had possession 59-41. For a lot of the second half, our offense was missing in action. Poor passing, nothing much developing.

There is no way the USA deserved to win this game. But, a couple of brilliant plays can make up for a lot of mediocrity. Soccer is like that. And the chances have gone the other way for the US, too.

Not sure I agree. Sure, the gave up a lot of possession. But Ghana didn't really do a lot with it.
The problem with that kind of thinking is that by logic, the winning team ALWAYS played better. Well, look at the scoreboard.

But I don't agree that the winning team ALWAYS played better. They were perhaps, not quite as lucky.

So at the 41' mark my ####### power goes out. I leave the wife and kids and head to Taco Mac. Great scene - place was packed with lots of US kits. The waitress kept commenting how crazy busy it was like she was shocked. Everyone seemed to expect that Ghana goal. When it went in it seemed like Ghana would get another for sure. When Brooks scored the place went nuts - so much fun. I left the gal a 50% tip with a big "GO USA" on it since she seemed to be clueless as to why people were so excited.

Now to go have some celebratory Scooby Manhattans.

Not sure I agree. Sure, the gave up a lot of possession. But Ghana didn't really do a lot with it.
The problem with that kind of thinking is that by logic, the winning team ALWAYS played better. Well, look at the scoreboard.

But I don't agree that the winning team ALWAYS played better. They were perhaps, not quite as lucky.
I don't think anyone disagrees with the premise that a losing team can play better - just in this case, Ghana was not demonstrably better. Having possession, and taking long-range shots are not truly indicative of playing better. The US bunkered, and generally defended well, and created a few scoring chances on their own. Ghana had 8 shots on goal to the US 7.

You didn't say "played better" you said "deserved to win." Those are two different things.

So at the 41' mark my ####### power goes out. I leave the wife and kids and head to Taco Mac. Great scene - place was packed with lots of US kits. The waitress kept commenting how crazy busy it was like she was shocked. Everyone seemed to expect that Ghana goal. When it went in it seemed like Ghana would get another for sure. When Brooks scored the place went nuts - so much fun. I left the gal a 50% tip with a big "GO USA" on it since she seemed to be clueless as to why people were so excited.

Now to go have some celebratory Scooby Manhattans.
This post is the world cup in an essence.

God bless sports! :)

I continue to be impressed with JJ. Not ready to break out #1Fan alias for him but you can tell how much he wants this as his last chance at the big dance with him being so calm (not his strong suit) in situations he would normally take dumb yellows for.

I continue to be impressed with JJ. Not ready to break out #1Fan alias for him but you can tell how much he wants this as his last chance at the big dance with him being so calm (not his strong suit) in situations he would normally take dumb yellows for.
Can't believe we made it an entire game with no cards.

Anything exciting happen tonight?
Bradley decided that instead of putting his stamp as the best US player alive to have his worst game in years.
So is this Bradley dude the quarterback?
He is arguably the best two way player in US history and has been the best US player for a while now.

His dad was the coach before Klinsmann took over.

He is not a traditional #10 if that is what you are asking. Just a good old fashioned box to box midfielder. He picked a whale of a game to flounder in.

He was amazing today. I think the addition of Beckerman there has relieved some of the stress on him as the cover for the back four. He is free to track guys and the ball down and it's giving him confidence.

Dempsey's nose is way broken...any doctors know how that will be in six days? Can he get back to normal breathing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe we made it an entire game with no cards.
The injury to Jozy is basically a suspension sadly. :(
True - but it also means that everyone (read: JJ) can still be aggressive against Portugal without having to worry about missing the Germany game.

How are cards wiped out - are two yellows wiped out, or does the player still have to serve the suspension for the 1st knockout round? Or is it that only single yellow cards are wiped out after the group stage?

Users who are viewing this thread