What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Stewart killed Driver Kevin Ward in an on track incident (4 Viewers)

I don't know how anyone can tell from the vid what exactly happened for sure. I mean sound travels for one. The vid is from across the track, not by the cars and no matter how you slow it down, the angle is not good at all to know what happened when much less what was in Stewart's mind. He will probably get unintentional manslaughter or maybe nothing if they can't prove for sure he was trying to scare him instead of trying to get away from him.

CurlyNight said:
I don't know how anyone can tell from the vid what exactly happened for sure. I mean sound travels for one. The vid is from across the track, not by the cars and no matter how you slow it down, the angle is not good at all to know what happened when much less what was in Stewart's mind. He will probably get unintentional manslaughter or maybe nothing if they can't prove for sure he was trying to scare him instead of trying to get away from him.
If they prove he intentionally got close to try and scare him, that intent should be enough for some criminal culpability to attach, even if he didn't intend to kill or hit him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
N Zone said:
This is interesting:

"The crash site is the same track where Stewart was involved in a July 2013 accident that seriously injured a 19-year-old driver. He later took responsibility for his car making contact with another and triggering the 15-car accident that left Alysha Ruggles with a compression fracture in her back."

link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-stewart-questioned-twice-in-criminal-probe-into-fatal-crash/
What a stupid "sport".
This times a brjillion.

N Zone said:
This is interesting:

"The crash site is the same track where Stewart was involved in a July 2013 accident that seriously injured a 19-year-old driver. He later took responsibility for his car making contact with another and triggering the 15-car accident that left Alysha Ruggles with a compression fracture in her back."

link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-stewart-questioned-twice-in-criminal-probe-into-fatal-crash/
What a stupid "sport".
This times a brjillion.
Why? What makes it a stupid sport? Because somebody got hurt?

N Zone said:
This is interesting:

Dumb question but I'm not a lawyer so- if he claimed responsibility here and (didnt read article but assume he) didn't face criminal charges, can he claim responsibility for friday night and that not necessarily lead to criminal charges? Or will his lawyers have him claiming it was an accident with nobody responsible til the end? This is a hypothetical, not ensenuating he is responsible.

Rush Limbaugh Fan said:
As a non racing fan/watcher. I sure am glad for all the armchair race drivers in here.
There are a couple of guys in here with racing bona fides; the rest are internet experts.

Obviously, we must defer to the "experts"; this is the internet, after all.

CurlyNight said:
If they prove he intentionally got close to try and scare him, that intent should be enough for some criminal culpability to attach, even if he didn't intend to kill or hit him.
How would you prove that?

CurlyNight said:
How would you prove that?
I think Stewart is stupid enough to admit it.

Rush Limbaugh Fan said:
As a non racing fan/watcher. I sure am glad for all the armchair race drivers in here.
There are a couple of guys in here with racing bona fides; the rest are internet experts.

Obviously, we must defer to the "experts"; this is the internet, after all.
after we defer to the racing "experts", then we have to defer to the lawyer "experts". Only then will we know how this all ends.

All I keep hearing about is Tony Stewarts supposed rage... Maybe I was watching the wrong video, but I am sure it was the kid that got 'SPUN' (not rolled multiple times as initially reported) that ran down the track and almost got run over by the car in front of Stewart. That car had to swerve hard down the track to avoid him, and I am sure blocked TS's view as to where the raged out kid was. Personally I can't stand Stewart, but the bottom line is, he wasn't the one out of his car creating the unsafe situation here.

N Zone said:
This is interesting:

What a stupid "sport".
:goodposting:

Again, take the subject matter out of it. ABC Good Morning America discussing that it's controversial, but steadfastly refusing to even discuss why. Won't even hint that there is, let alone what is, questionable about Stewart's behavior. Two analysts both danced around any culpability, while simultaneously stating that authorities are taking a close look at the incident. Last guy was asked what charges could be, and mentioned 2nd Degree Murder, then immediately said that we should look at this first, however, as if no charges will be filed.

The obvious editorial decision not to speak to any specific negative behavior by Stewart is disturbing. It shows how tightly controlled media is, and deferential to an interest (whether fear of a lawsuit or corporate - or both) over responsibility to report truth.

Again, separate the incident from the "journalistic" practices - and it's pretty sad to see how propagandized our news has become. It is not supposed to be like that, and frankly if GMA takes that line of blurring church and state, they should have to disclose their money ties to NASCAR in the story IMO.

Last edited:
N Zone said:
This is interesting:

"The crash site is the same track where Stewart was involved in a July 2013 accident that

seriously injured a 19-year-old driver. He later took responsibility for his car making contact with another and triggering the 15-car accident that left Alysha Ruggles with a compression

fracture in her back."

Dumb question but I'm not a lawyer so- if he claimed responsibility here and (didnt read article but assume he) didn't face criminal charges, can he claim responsibility for friday night and that not necessarily lead to criminal charges? Or will his lawyers have him

claiming it was an accident with nobody responsible til the end?

This is a hypothetical, not ensenuating he is

responsible.
Criminal charging is entirely at the discretion of the state. Once they make the decision to charge there is generally some form of check on that charging by the judiciary (by way of either a grand jury proceeding or a preliminary hearing). But it's a fluid concept subject to some very broad ethical rules open to interpretation. By that, I mean that law enforcement has a ton of discretion to bring charges and have a pretty low burden to meet in doing so. They also likely have plenty if time. I don't know the laws of the state where this took place, but in my jurisdiction they'd have seven years to decide if they wanted to charge him with manslaughter or negligent homicide. If they wanted to charge murder there is no year limitation on when to do so.

So, to your hypo, if I'm Stewart's lawyer it is a no brainer to tell him to never speak to anyone but his lawyer about his mindset in the car.

N Zone said:
This is interesting:

What a stupid "sport".
This times a brjillion.
I'm no racing fan, but that is funny on a football message board.

Here are my thoughts from the moment I first watched the video. After 17 pages, I'm sure somebody else may have mentioned it.

While I know Tony did not mean to kill the poor kid, I do think he was trying to send a message and lost control of either his temper, his car or both.

Tony Stewart has always spoke about teaching the younger drivers about respect, etc.

My assumption is he was trying to scare Ward and misjudged his car.

How anyone can say he is not at all accountable, in any way, is beyond me. Ward did not literally jump in front of him. If Stewart could not see him, he was too close to the car in front of him and probably too high on the race track as well. The car in front of Stewart did not hit Ward.

If a guy is walking in the street at home and I hit him with my car, I have some fault in that. I hit the guy.

Tony Stewart should be held accountable for his actions.

Scenario 1: you're coming up to a school zone with flashing yellow lights and kids. You slow to the posted 20 MPH. To your right, a 5 year old looking at his shoelaces bounds onto the street walking towards you. What do you do?

Scenario 2: you're driving up to a bank and hear an alarm. To your right, a guy in a mask walks onto the street pointing at you. What do you do?

Hint: one of these involves accelerating. The other does not.

Lutherman2112 said:
The young driver, Ward, has culpability for leaving his car. But in my mind, Stewart was was being an ### and now has to live with killing a guy.
Ward did more than just leave his car. He walked out to the middle of the track to confront Stewart, and was stepping into cars while seeking him out, and he was doing this dressed in black on a dirt track at night.

Here are my thoughts from the moment I first watched the video. After 17 pages, I'm sure somebody else may have mentioned it.

While I know Tony did not mean to kill the poor kid, I do think he was trying to send a message and lost control of either his temper, his car or both.

Tony Stewart has always spoke about teaching the younger drivers about respect, etc.

My assumption is he was trying to scare Ward and misjudged his car.

How anyone can say he is not at all accountable, in any way, is beyond me. Ward did not literally jump in front of him. If Stewart could not see him, he was too close to the car in front of him and probably too high on the race track as well. The car in front of Stewart did not hit Ward.

If a guy is walking in the street at home and I hit him with my car, I have some fault in that. I hit the guy.

What if the guy jumps in front of your car? You still think you're at fault?

Sure thing. What exactly were those actions that can be unambiguously be attributed to him that were obviously inappropriate and/or failing to exercise any reasonable amount of care? As opposed to those that can be inferred to him for his lengthy history of being an :censored: .

Now lets be clear. I'm not arguing that Stewart did not behave exactly as you and others are suggesting, I'm merely saying that there is no evidence in the video that points to this and only this conclusion.

It has already been stated here multiple times that these cars don't turn well. You have to gas them to be able to make a sharp turn. That is what Tony did. He avoided hitting him with the front of the car, but couldn't avoid hitting him with the back. The wheels are staggared about 15inches, so the rear is out further. The car in front of Tony almost hit the kid. And Tony was on his butt. The only thing Tony probably saw was the rear of the guy in front of him, until he moved and the kid jumped in front if him. The kid was gauging where to jump in like he was going to enter a double dutch jump rope.

As a person who does not watch NASCAR and knows nothing about about Tony Stewart (I know he's a driver, and I think he was in a soda commercial once) having watched the tape, it seems pretty clear to me that it was an accident and a pretty damn good example of why you shouldn't go running out on a track when cars are driving by.

Seems like a lot of people seem to convicting him based solely on their personal feelings of Tony, NASCAR, or the people who watch NASCAR.

Scenario 3: you're driving down the road when the car directly in front of you swerves out of the way of a tire in the middle of the lane. You do not have enough time to stop and the tire is rolling at you. The pavement does not have ideal traction. What do you do?

That throttle does just seem so damning while watching, even knowing I really have no idea what it means.

By my count, 12 cars passed by that spot on the track under caution without needing to hit the throttle. Stewart hitting the throttle seems like it has to be either to avoid Ward or intimidate him. I have no idea what he meant to do, but watching him throttle "into" Ward just looks so bad.

Ward also makes a small attempt to get back up the track and out of the way right when it's too late (someone with a better eye than me would have to figure it that attempt would've succeeded without Stewart's throttling/maneuvering at that moment).

BTW, from what little national media coverage I've heard of this, Ham seems right to me. ESPN has absolutely no interest considering that Stewart might've done something reckless to play a part here.

Zow said:
Rohn Jambo said:
Hooper31 said:
KCitons said:
you missed the point. When someone dies, and you had a hand in it (accident or not) you should probably take a step back and look at what's most important. Business as usual, is not taking a step back.
Sinn Fein's point above was a good one. When someone else doesn't act as you would act in any given scenario there must be something wrong with them. You can argue "common sense" I guess, but that's your own personal set of prejudices.
The #1 red flag to investigators that someone is guilty is the suspect's lack of emotion.
They are plenty of retainable experts who can debunk this.
Okay. I can see Tony Stewart being a sensitive guy who is hurting in private. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451580669e2015435eb73f5970c-pi

As a person who does not watch NASCAR and knows nothing about about Tony Stewart (I know he's a driver, and I think he was in a soda commercial once) having watched the tape, it seems pretty clear to me that it was an accident and a pretty damn good example of why you shouldn't go running out on a track when cars are driving by.

Seems like a lot of people seem to convicting him based solely on their personal feelings of Tony, NASCAR, or the people who watch NASCAR.
There are people that were at the track that said Stewart mashed the gas to try as if he wanted to scare the kid. That's not an accident it's manslaughter. I don't think Stewart intentionally wanted to hit him (that would be murder) but his temper got the best of him yet again but this time he made an unforgivable mistake because of that temper. Stewart's car should have never been that high on the track after the accident and those saying a couple other cars were high doesn't make it right.

Scenario 3: you're driving down the road when the car directly in front of you swerves out of the way of a tire in the middle of the lane. You do not have enough time to stop and the tire is rolling at you. The pavement does not have ideal traction. What do you do?
Rev your engine and fish tail the back end of your vehicle, so that you barely graze the tire. That will teach the tire to ever roll in the middle of the road again!

There are people that were at the track that said Stewart mashed the gas to try as if he wanted to scare the kid. That's not an accident it's manslaughter. I don't think Stewart intentionally wanted to hit him (that would be murder) but his temper got the best of him yet again but this time he made an unforgivable mistake because of that temper. Stewart's car should have never been that high on the track after the accident and those saying a couple other cars were high doesn't make it right.
He mashed the gas to turn. Sprint cars are like jet-skis, they don't turn until you are on the throttle.

Didn't a car hit a safety vehicle a few years back at a NASCAR race. IIRC the driver had a tire blow out and swerved into a dryer truck. Was that driver too close to safety vehicle? Was there any discipline for his actions?

Clearly I hold my line and hit the throttle just as I get level with the tire, you know, to spray a little dirt on it and scare the rubber off of it. Now I see it!

So, you're agreeing that people are convicting him based on their personal opinions of Tony.

Also, these cars are made to be sliding around the dirt at high speeds. When you are going 40mph the steering wheel and car is bouncing and vibrating like crazy. The power steering isn't made for low speeds.

The problem with this scenario is that Stewart knew where that car was on the track since he was part of the accident a lap prior.

The problem with this scenario is that Stewart knew where that car was on the track since he was part of the accident a lap prior.
He hit the driver standing in the middle of the track, not the car along the wall.

That throttle does just seem so damning while watching, even knowing I really have no idea what it means.

By my count, 12 cars passed by that spot on the track under caution without needing to hit the throttle. Stewart hitting the throttle seems like it has to be either to avoid Ward or intimidate him. I have no idea what he meant to do, but watching him throttle "into" Ward just looks so bad.

Ward also makes a small attempt to get back up the track and out of the way right when it's too late (someone with a better eye than me would have to figure it that attempt would've succeeded without Stewart's throttling/maneuvering at that moment).

BTW, from what little national media coverage I've heard of this, Ham seems right to me. ESPN has absolutely no interest considering that Stewart might've done something reckless to play a part here.
If you watch it in slow motion with the volume off Stewart's car does not fish tail until after Ward contacts with the rear wheel. Also in slow motion you can see how far Ward is coming down the track and how he had to jump out of the way of the first car. This is going to be ruled an accident as it should be.

Except in this scenario Ward is the tire, not the car.

If you watch it in slow motion with the volume off Stewart's car does not fish tail until after Ward contacts with the rear wheel. Also in slow motion you can see how far Ward is coming down the track and how he had to jump out of the way of the first car. This is going to be ruled an accident as it should be.
Oh, I agree. I'm really just commenting on how damning it looks to an ignorant viewer.

I know there are a number reasons for Stewart to have throttled to avoid Ward. I'm not totally sure which method he was choosing though (just get past, turn up the track, or turn down the track). It's possible maybe even Stewart doesn't know.

In hindsight, which Stewart obviously didn't have the benefit of, it does seem as if "doing nothing" was Tony's only option of avoiding Ward, to give Ward that split second to have a chance to get out of the way (as he was trying to do).

If that's true (again, I'm ignorant), then that seems a little damning too, even if it's irrelevant to Stewart's decision in the moment.

... I'm not totally sure which method he was choosing though (just get past, turn up the track, or turn down the track). It's possible maybe even Stewart doesn't know.
I doubt that he consciously chose at all. Just reacted instinctively. Seems to me that there is less than a second from the time that the 45 goes by at the 34 second mark and the camera jerks back to the 14 and the accident happens at the 35 second mark. Not a whole lot of time to be running through scenarios in the head on how to avoid him (or scare him).

Except in this scenario Ward is the tire, not the car.
I don't mean to sound insensitive about a guy who lost his life, I just don't think TS had enough time fully assess the situation before making a move, and certainly not enough time to deliberately injure.

Doesn't the fish tail as he gets level with Ward suggest what many are saying, that he was trying to give him a message with that fishtail? I don't think anyone is saying that the fishtail was meant to hit him with the front of the car, or even the wheel... Just that that sudden acceleration was possibly no accident.

Haven't read the whole thread, but have any of the other drivers said anything? Like that they could or could not see the guy walking?

Haven't read the whole thread, but have any of the other drivers said anything? Like that they could or could not see the guy walking?
There's a link a few different times in here to a story where another dirt track driver says he believes Stewart had to have seen where the guy was on the track. The driver who said that was also a friend of the guy who got hit who was being interviewed pretty much right after this happened.

I gave a scenario where it's a kid in a school zone bounding towards a car, what do you do?

In reality, it was more like a squirrel in a school zone.

Me, I'm proud to say I've never hit a squirrel, though I've slowed, skidded or swerved to avoid many. But you'll often see a redneck in a truck not give one ####... Not going to swerve, not going to brake. #### it. In this case, and in my opinion, TS was that guy. Ultimately, you don't convict the guy in the truck and squirrels don't have it coming, per se, but they make it easy to hit them.

At best, I'm settling on the realization that Tony Stewart is just an #######. I don't like it, and if he were a little better person he could have avoided a squirrel. He just didn't really care to.

May be impossible to prove he hit that throttle to send a message. I doubt charges get filed, but I still think the guy is guilty of being a Class a #### hole.

Tony Stewart normally has a minicam mounted on his sprint cart but he said not this time. I give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he has nothing to hide.

Watch the initial crash again. Does TS's car actually touch the kid's and force it to crash? It looks like the kid started to slide out of control on his own and hit the wall. Maybe TS didn't give him enough room to manuever? It doesn't look to me like TS actually *bumps* the kid in to the wall.. doesn't matter much in the end, but I had originally jumped to the conclusion that TS wrecked this guy and the kid was justified in being pissed off at TS (and nothing more). I'm not much of a race watcher so maybe it's obvious to someone else that the initial wreck was TS's fault?

Need to see a video of the entire track. The go pro video would probably give us a definitive answer at least to TS's visibility of the kid. The fatal hit was a lot closer to turn 2 than I originally thought.

Doesn't the back of the car fishtail away from Ward? Why are we focused on the fishtail action?
I think so after re-watching 20 times with a bunch of pausing. I think TS was on near the same line as the car 1 second ahead, who also slid inward to avoid the kid. I'm starting to not think TS was even trying to intimidate the guy.

Tony Stewart normally has a minicam mounted on his sprint cart but he said not this time. I give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he has nothing to hide.
So you're saying, Tony went into the race with the intent to kill. So he made sure not to mount the minicam, run his intended victim into the wall, knowing full well that the guy would then get out of his car and run into the middle of the track where Tony could run him over? It was only the world's most intricate and flawlessly-executed plan ever, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread