What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

An Open Letter to the NFL: (1 Viewer)

Insein said:
Change PI to a 15 yard flat penalty.

Illegal contact should be 5 yards BUT NOT an automatic first down.

Those two changes would make the game vastly more competitive and watchable because they're not game changers.
I cannot possibly agree harder with this than I am right now.
Not that second one because every 3rd and 6+ play would now be two plays. The one where the defense tested to see if they can get away with it (without losing anything if they fail) and the real play.

It's a lousy product right now, and it seems to have gotten a lot worse this year.

The average NFL game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes:

- 11 minutes of actual live game action. 11.

- 17 minutes of replays.

- 75 minutes watching players, coaches and referees loiter on the field.

- 65 minutes of commercials

- 24 minutes halftime and announcer reporting

So only 5% of an NFL game consists of true action. It's no wonder we've seen the emergence of fantasy football, instant replay, and the red zone channel. And it's no wonder attendance at NFL games is declining.

But the problem is that tv ratings have risen dramatically the last 10 years, and that's where all the revenues are generated. So nobody is paying attention to the underlying problems affecting the product. The worm is turning though, and I expect we will start to see some pretty dramatic declines in tv ratings in the next few years unless these fundamental problems are addressed. I have never seen this level of dissatisfaction and people are starting to realize that there a lot of cool things to do on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the Fall.

Blackouts was an outdated concept to try and encourage game attendance.

Intentionally making it more difficult? Please.

There is more opportunity to watch your team now than there ever was before.

Its not even close.
IF you want to pay for it there is.

I get both sides of the point you guys make. We don't live in an age where we would pull up a radio and, heavens forbid, listen to an NFL game like our grandparents did. But at the same time, you'd just like the option to do so without the NFL attempting to jam every signal and access point for a fan to see and enjoy a game in the way they want to.
Not just if you want to pay for it.

More games are on TV now...more "bars" to watch them in vs. before.

Its just available in more ways than it ever was when we were growing up.

Sure...some of it costs more.

But the NFL is not around to make it cheap for you to watch their product.

Id agree with radio...would be nice. Even that though is available (at least if you have Verizon...I think you get all the radio calls...loved when I had that with Sprint)

It's a lousy product right now, and it seems to have gotten a lot worse this year.

- 17 minutes of replays.

So only 5% of an NFL game consists of true action. It's no wonder we've seen the emergence of fantasy football, instant replay, and the red zone channel. And it's no wonder attendance at NFL games is declining.

But the problem is that tv ratings have risen dramatically the last 10 years, and that's where all the revenues are generated. So nobody is paying attention to the underlying problems affecting the product. The worm is turning though, and I expect we will start to see some pretty dramatic declines in tv ratings in the next few years unless these fundamental problems are addressed. I have never seen this level of dissatisfaction and people are starting to realize that there a lot of cool things to do on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the Fall.
I agree with some of it...but how much of that is different from before.

The time allotment for games has been around 3 hours for a long long time.

So its not something that "became" bad. it was always like that.

Or is it the contention of some that there was more time of actual game action? And psst...its more than 11 minutes.

- 17 minutes of replays.

Agree. The TV revenue, back in the day, was the big boon but now it is turning on itself and eroding the product as the NFL has become a slave to the master with the purse strings.

I'm not sure about the tv ratings though because with the tech today AND the fact that so many people are fantasy people, most people find it more comfortable and convenient to stay home in their soft chairs and accessible WIFI and watch the games there.

That is a big thing the NFL has going for it because the NFL knows that as we have become a softer, more instant-access/instant gratification society, that we aren't going to go anywhere. We aren't getting off our couch or out of our bar stool and so the demand for broadcasts is going to be strong.

- 17 minutes of replays.

Or is it the contention of some that there was more time of actual game action? And psst...its more than 11 minutes.
That's an actual number he reported.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

And a similar report states that there are, on average, more than 100 commercials in a game, up 50% from the 80's.

On the lighter side, none of us have complained about instant replay so I guess they fixed that.

- 17 minutes of replays.

:goodposting:

- 17 minutes of replays.

So its not something that "became" bad. it was always like that.s

The game times have steadily increased over the years. I believe I read somewhere that the average game time in the 70's was 2 hrs 50 minutes, and that jives with my memory. Back then games would begin exactly at 1:00, and then there would usually be a 5 minute recap before going directly to the 4:00 game.And let me clarify - 11 minutes of actual live game action is correct. That is the time when the play is actually being run.

So watch or don't watch, and feel free to gripe. I will be right there with you on some issues. As long as you realize you are basically spittin in the wind.
I agree with your entire post and realize my resistance here is futile. Until the NFL feels the blow-back in their wallet they will not change how they go about their business.

I've already made my tee time for this Sunday afternoon and plan on scheduling activities every Sunday for the remainder of the season.

FreeBaGeL said:
People are right on with the stuff about commercials and penalties, but let's also not forget how poorly the NFL treats their fans. Blackout rules that the FCC had to overrule, exclusive Sunday Ticket licensing to make a few extra bucks instead of letting people watch their favorite team, exclusive video game licensing to make a few extra bucks instead of having an opportunity to actually get a good NFL video game, etc.

They're so damned anti-consumer, and they're so lucky that fantasy football, which was someone else's idea, became so popular. And let's not forget that they tried to screw that up too a few years back when they tried, through litigation, to get exclusive rights to using player names/stats for fantasy.

Just a bunch of corporate schmucks incapable of looking past tomorrow's bottom line who have gotten lucky that someone else invented a way to make their product more watchable and then doubly lucky that they lost a lawsuit when they tried to mess that up through more exclusivity BS.
I'm still pissed the only NFL game is this crappy Madden product when has only gotten worse the last 12 years. I miss Sega.

Let's not get started on how unfun it is to actually attend one of these games in person. Money pitt. Half hour line through security. Very little action. Bad connection. Etc...

I'm going to put on my flak jacket now.

People have been moaning about the game going to #### for approximately forever. There is always something (or multiple somethings) that is ruining the game. And yet...

Viewership is up. Brand awareness is up. And from a personal perspective, though I can pick a LOT of nits, I still find the games enjoyable.

I don't like Thursday games either. SOME of the flags do seem inconsistent. Kickoffs are mostly pointless. But none of that stuff is "end of the world" type stuff.

And on the penalty issue in particular, that is an area where the NFL HAD to make significant changes and will probably continue to make them. I'm sure many of us fondly remember the brutality of the bye-gone era. Crushing blows by the defense on a regular basis. A MAN's game. That's great and all, but have your seen many of these guys when they hit middle age? The concussion thing is real folks. As hard as it is to regulate hits on "defenseless" players and hits to the head etc, it's got to be done. In the old days, nobody much cared, and the science wasn't there to support the definitive causation of some of these issues. Sorry, those days are over. The one thing that COULD kill the golden goose is a massive lawsuit by every former player in the league or some killer regulation preventing the sport to be played the way it is at all. It doesn't really matter if a guy in his 20s says "I don't give a damn about my future". He will care when he is 40 and done playing, and so will his lawyers if the NFL doesn't CYA as much as humanly possible. I'm not going to debate about whether that is right or wrong, but I do believe it is a fact.

So watch or don't watch, and feel free to gripe. I will be right there with you on some issues. As long as you realize you are basically spittin in the wind.
I don't disagree with your point and, like you say, don't want to argue a point. But I will give a different presentation of it.

Yes, in the "good old days" these guys absolutely did play a man's game with a lot of consequences. But...they also made the choice to play and they were rewarded handsomely for it and, because of that (it was by choice and they weighed the risk/reward), I lean on the side of "I wish it was still like that just because people will CHOOSE and then do it. Just like a boxer. Just like a fire fighter or policeman, etc. They all say "I get this and I will give this" and for those who make the millions and make the choice, I applaud them and hope they spend their money living a life I never dreamed of..I just want to see the GREAT product it used to be.

To this day, some of my best NFL memories are the games when I wondered "Can the high-flying offense of Team X match the physicality of Team B". It was abut contrast of styles and how teams seemed to adopt the persona of their cities. Steelers and Bears were living avatars of the city and the people in those cities. Now its, with little exception, 32 copy and pastes and the dividing line is literally a handful of players and luck of who avoids injuries.

I would just prefer to sit down and have the question answered "Is Danny Amendola the type of guy with the guts to go across the middle against the Panthers?" rather than wonder the question "Would the Cardinals be the Broncos if Peyton Manning played there?"
The "choice" thing is the crux of it, and I think there are valid points on both sides.

One one hand, these guys are adults, making a career choice that they SHOULD know is fraught with potential for long-term physical damage. They are in general handsomely rewarded for the risk they are taking.

On the other hand, a lot more is known today about those effects than used to be known. And a player making a choice to play a dangerous game doesn't absolve the league from the responsibility to make the game as safe as it can be. At least that's the way it seems to me it would play out in the courts.

Thought experiment:

An entertainment mogul offers a bunch of 20 year-olds the opportunity to jump off of a 3 story balcony for a cool million in cash, just for the entertainment value. Studies have shown there is a 20% mortality rate (or whatever you want the number to be) for the jump. I can virtually guarantee there would be some takers on both ends, but should it be legal? Does society have duty to protect those young people from making a decision like that? Many will say yes, some will say no.

What if one of the jumpers literally has an IQ of 60 or something? Does that change anything?

What if instead of death, there was just a 20% chance of significant brain damage instead. Does that change anything?

How much responsibility does the mogul have for letting the jumpers know the risks? Would it be different if the mogul did or didn't tell the potential jumper everything he knew?

I think we can all guess that that exact scenario would not be allowed in today's American legal system, but football and boxing/MMA are really not that far off. It's just a matter of degree.

kadeeu said:
As the OP stated, there are too many subjective calls that are too inconsistently applied. It is clearly ruining the game.
That's my opinion, too. And, the worst part is that they could pretty easily get rid of a lot of the subjectivity in a lot of the rules. <_<

- 17 minutes of replays.

Some of that is how the game just inherently is though.

It would be like not counting any of the dribble up the court in basketball as actual playing time.

I doubt that is counting anything until the snap of the ball...when much of presnap is actual "action" in a way.

Just think its a bit of a misleading number.

- 17 minutes of replays.

It would be like not counting any of the dribble up the court in basketball as actual playing time.

I doubt that is counting anything until the snap of the ball...when much of presnap is actual "action" in a way.

I just briefly skimmed through it after someone else posted the number here but I think the basis of it is pointing out that football has a running clock in many instances so 40 seconds may come off the clock but only about 5 seconds actually saw a play.

That side is really how you massage the numbers but the side that is clear is that the increase of commercials is happening. I linked somewhere in here that it is reported there are 100+ commercials during a game. I know we can all recite the "NO MORE" and Geico commercials by heart by now.

Other folks mention that the kickoff is really a non-play now, so when you think of that, its very conceivable (literally) that we can sit down for 10 minutes of an "NFL Game" and see two minutes of green geckos, two minutes of stars saying don't have domestic violence, three minutes of other random promotions, two minutes of networks pumping their own shows, 45 seconds of overlay graphics as the cameras pan through the field and "update us" (on what I'm not sure), and 15 seconds of a play that isn't anything more than watching a ball sail through the air, knowing all the while, that it will not be put into play and as soon as it is downed, we are back to geckos...

- 17 minutes of replays.

Yeah, they aren't counting the 40 second play clock. That is a lot of the game, and just the way football is. Go all-out, wait, rest, go all-out, vs soccer-style run the whole game more or less with intermittent sprints. Just different, and it is misleading to suggest no one finds the period of actually calling the play and getting in formation an interesting part of the game.

Grahamburn said:
slackjawedyokel said:
I was explaining to my wife on Sunday how game days have changed.

6 commercials, return to game for field goal, 3 commercials, kickoff, network promotion on screen covering huddle, 2 commercials, return to 1st play since kickoff after fieldgoal but not until the ball was snapped. Every spare second is being used for advertising and marketing and finally to the point where some game action is actually not being seen!
It's borderline unwatchable. Even when the game is going on the penalties absolutely ruin it.

Honestly, I'd like to say the best way to catch the games will be during the week on NFL Replay or to DVR them, but then the flags will just piss me off again.
if you hate commercials so much, just buy nfl red zone it is only $5 or $10 a month and they just play all the big plays you could ever want from EVERY game with no commercials...

Blackouts was an outdated concept to try and encourage game attendance.

Intentionally making it more difficult? Please.

There is more opportunity to watch your team now than there ever was before.

Its not even close.
I live in Utah, yet 5 out of 5 Florida Gators game this year has been available for me to watch on regular television, for free, with any TV provider in the area. And in the rare case that they're not on TV, or I want to watch someone else on TV, the game is available to stream for free online.

Meanwhile, 1 out of 5 Miami Dolphins games have been available for me to watch. My only option to watch them is by paying extra for Sunday Ticket, which I'm ok with, but not only do I have to pay extra but I also have to use the most expensive TV provider (if they're available in my area), let some guy climb up onto my roof and affix a satellite to my house, etc.

There are more than 4x as many teams in college football as there are in the NFL yet it's 5x as easy to watch them. If I'm not mistaken you can get the MLB package, NBA package, hockey package, etc all on multiple providers. There are multiple companies allowed to make video games for each of those leagues and as a result there are far superior games available for each of those leagues.

Grahamburn said:
slackjawedyokel said:

6 commercials, return to game for field goal, 3 commercials, kickoff, network promotion on screen covering huddle, 2 commercials, return to 1st play since kickoff after fieldgoal but not until the ball was snapped. Every spare second is being used for advertising and marketing and finally to the point where some game action is actually not being seen!
It's borderline unwatchable. Even when the game is going on the penalties absolutely ruin it.

Honestly, I'd like to say the best way to catch the games will be during the week on NFL Replay or to DVR them, but then the flags will just piss me off again.
if you hate commercials so much, just buy nfl red zone it is only $5 or $10 a month and they just play all the big plays you could ever want from EVERY game with no commercials...
I never said anything about the commercials.

And a similar report states that there are, on average, more than 100 commercials in a game, up 50% from the 80's.

On the lighter side, none of us have complained about instant replay so I guess they fixed that.
They still blow calls on replay too. The first one that jumps to mind is that Harvin run where he clearly stepped out of bounds. Perhaps last nights crew was tasked with making up for that gimme.

Grahamburn said:
slackjawedyokel said:

I never said anything about the commercials.
my bad I quoted the wrong post >_<

I haven't read all the replies, but what we consider warts and flaws the league considers otherwise. It is in their best interest to have games drag out. More penalties, more challenges, more plays reviewed, more discussion between the refs, etc. all make the games go longer . . . which means more commercials and more advertising revenue. As an example, I just talked to someone the other day that was involved in corporate sponsorships for one of the NFL franchises and he mentioned the league had a $500 million deal with Microsoft. That's nuts.

Even though league attendance overall may be declining and may be slightly down, there are still 11 teams playing at or above capacity and 11 teams playing home games at 95%+ capacity. There are only 7 teams playing with 10% empty seats, and given all the revenue they get from tv, advertising, and sponsorship deals that is literally pocket change in terms of lost revenue from empty seats.

I heard NFL football described the other day as the new wrestling. Wrestling went from competitive to entertainment a long time ago, and the NFL is effectively following suit. It's not about football anymore. It's not a sport for competitors and fierce hand to hand combat like the old days. It's part sport and part entertainment, but it sure is not the same game as it used to be.

Bottom line, with the league getting money delivered to them in wheelbarrows, I don't think they care much about the complaints about the game, the off-field issues, and the like until it starts taking money out of their pockets (as we say happen with ADP). Otherwise, it's don't rock the boat and keep the checks coming.

sho nuff said:
Adam Harstad said:
Shutout said:
Slapdash said:
Watching games without RedZone has become a miserable experience.
I was late to the RZ party but I have to say now that I'm here, forget the ticket (if I can get RZ without it next year).
Dish gives RZ as a standalone for $11 a month, and they give it to you free the first year when you switch. I left DirecTV this year and I'm paying $45 a month for TV right now, and that's including taxes, fees, and red zone.

If nothing else, it gives you a credible threat to leverage against DirecTV next year when they tell you it can't be done.
I have direct...and when I did my call to complain and see what I could get...I got RZ for free (channel 703) as a stand alone.

First person claims they can't offer it...2nd guy (retention people) offer it.
Doesn't always work. I've done that in years past. Called them this year trying to get it again and they stood firm saying it couldn't be done. I told them I'd switch to Dish, then. They called my bluff, only to find out I wasn't bluffing.

I haven't read all the replies, but what we consider warts and flaws the league considers otherwise. It is in their best interest to have games drag out. More penalties, more challenges, more plays reviewed, more discussion between the refs, etc. all make the games go longer . . . which means more commercials and more advertising revenue. As an example, I just talked to someone the other day that was involved in corporate sponsorships for one of the NFL franchises and he mentioned the league had a $500 million deal with Microsoft. That's nuts.

Even though league attendance overall may be declining and may be slightly down, there are still 11 teams playing at or above capacity and 11 teams playing home games at 95%+ capacity. There are only 7 teams playing with 10% empty seats, and given all the revenue they get from tv, advertising, and sponsorship deals that is literally pocket change in terms of lost revenue from empty seats.

I heard NFL football described the other day as the new wrestling. Wrestling went from competitive to entertainment a long time ago, and the NFL is effectively following suit. It's not about football anymore. It's not a sport for competitors and fierce hand to hand combat like the old days. It's part sport and part entertainment, but it sure is not the same game as it used to be.

Bottom line, with the league getting money delivered to them in wheelbarrows, I don't think they care much about the complaints about the game, the off-field issues, and the like until it starts taking money out of their pockets (as we say happen with ADP). Otherwise, it's don't rock the boat and keep the checks coming.
It's more like "athletic entertainment". So, it IS wrestling *cue the intro music where a former football player (ironic) with a raised eyebrow asks....*

"Do you like Commercials, Jabroney??? IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU LIKE COMMERCIALS OR NOT because the NFL just checked your candy ### into the "I don't give a damn" hotel, laying the smack down on all the corporate sponsors as they back their big money trucks up to our doors! We are the people's champs because they can't tell us no....a lot like your wife last Thursday night when you were busy watching the game... know what I'm sayin', Jabroney?"

I'm probably in the minority but I like the time in between plays, I just wish they'd zoom the camera out so you can see the subs and formations better. Seeing only the offense up until the snap isn't as much fun.

They need to make the refs full-time and use some of the money from the tv deals to pay them a nice wage so the good ones stop taking jobs in the tv booth. It's still miles better than watching the college refs (and college coaches).

I generally have two tv's setup and red zone is on the lesser one. Watching a game is still fun, and I generally only switch during halftime or scores (where it goes score, delay, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial, play). Red zone is too ADD sometimes.

Anyway, enjoy your round of golf.

I agree that the league doesn't really care if fans are upset if the dollars are rolling in. Where I disagree with those arguing nothing will change - I think that's incorrect for 2 reasons.

1) As fast as the NFL has risen, it can tumble. We've become used to a couple decades of NFL success, but it wasn't always that way. It's Taleb's Black Swan - just because things seem normal this way doesn't mean it can't radically change in the blink of an eye.

I think TV advertising will actually radically change in the somewhat-near future. The type of ads run during NFL games (like most TV ads) just aren't effective - that's not opinion, that's backed up by lots of research. With all the distractions, people have gotten incredibly good at tuning out information they don't care about, this includes TV ads. But large companies are like ponderous boats, it takes a long time for them to steer in a new direction. Advertising revenue won't keep going up, and as large companies slowly become better at other forms of advertising money will drain from these TV ads.

2) Long term I think we can agree the NFL is screwed. Everywhere I know of, football attendance at the grassroots level is down (both here in Canada and in the USA). Parents are moving their kids into safer sports and this will have a massive trickle up effect over time. The number of kids growing up playing football, and the number of families cheering for their child playing football, is falling. As well, there is growing discontent both with the game (as discussed here) and the off-field incidences.

People who argue nothing will change, pointing to evidence such as viewership numbers not going down folloing the Ray Rice fiasco, ignore that preferences don't change overnight.

3 million people won't instantly turn off the NFL on TV. Rather, things will change by percentages. If Bob loved watching the NFL 87% more than anything else, now he loves it 74%. He'll still tune it Sundays, still watch most games but now there are more things he'd rather be doing. So he won't stop watching NFL, he'll just watch a little less. And so it will go, adding up over time.

Because of all these factors (and others I've ignored because my post is too long) suggest to me that the NFL will experience the financials turning within this decade.

Yep.

1000% agree.

It's now sports entertainment.

Rules are now in place to protect players and to enhance the entertainment the NFL is selling you.

10-3 hard nosed defensive games are rare now and a good nostalgic moment but in reality Manning throwing for 386 yds and 4TDs sells better then Manning winning on 128 yds and 0TDs.

I don't mind it actually. Probably because I don't care deeply about sports anymore.

The football show the NFL puts on is a great product on TV. In fact many sports are translating their product so much better with marketing. I'm really enjoying just being able to turn on any sport and for the most part be entertained.

The game isn't changing as much as it is evolving. Evolving with our current times. Safety, social tolerances and a short attention span is what seems to be are being factored into the evolution of not only the NFL but all sports in this generation.

I haven't read all the replies, but what we consider warts and flaws the league considers otherwise. It is in their best interest to have games drag out. More penalties, more challenges, more plays reviewed, more discussion between the refs, etc. all make the games go longer . . . which means more commercials and more advertising revenue.
So . . . you're saying that Buffalo Wild Wings stuff is real?

Grahamburn said:
Dear NFL,

Worse than that, you are influencing the outcomes of the games with penalties on "infractions" nowhere near the actual play. When it's 3rd and 10 in overtime and Drew Brees has to roll to his right because of pressure, throws an incomplete pass, and your official calls an illegal contact penalty because the receiver on the entire other end of the field who had no opportunity to be involved in the play was sneezed on YOU ARE RUINING THE GAME!
Agree 100 %

Last edited by a moderator:

People have been moaning about the game going to #### for approximately forever. There is always something (or multiple somethings) that is ruining the game. And yet...

Viewership is up. Brand awareness is up. And from a personal perspective, though I can pick a LOT of nits, I still find the games enjoyable.

I don't like Thursday games either. SOME of the flags do seem inconsistent. Kickoffs are mostly pointless. But none of that stuff is "end of the world" type stuff.

And on the penalty issue in particular, that is an area where the NFL HAD to make significant changes and will probably continue to make them. I'm sure many of us fondly remember the brutality of the bye-gone era. Crushing blows by the defense on a regular basis. A MAN's game. That's great and all, but have your seen many of these guys when they hit middle age? The concussion thing is real folks. As hard as it is to regulate hits on "defenseless" players and hits to the head etc, it's got to be done. In the old days, nobody much cared, and the science wasn't there to support the definitive causation of some of these issues. Sorry, those days are over. The one thing that COULD kill the golden goose is a massive lawsuit by every former player in the league or some killer regulation preventing the sport to be played the way it is at all. It doesn't really matter if a guy in his 20s says "I don't give a damn about my future". He will care when he is 40 and done playing, and so will his lawyers if the NFL doesn't CYA as much as humanly possible. I'm not going to debate about whether that is right or wrong, but I do believe it is a fact.

I don't disagree with your point and, like you say, don't want to argue a point. But I will give a different presentation of it.

Yes, in the "good old days" these guys absolutely did play a man's game with a lot of consequences. But...they also made the choice to play and they were rewarded handsomely for it and, because of that (it was by choice and they weighed the risk/reward), I lean on the side of "I wish it was still like that just because people will CHOOSE and then do it. Just like a boxer. Just like a fire fighter or policeman, etc. They all say "I get this and I will give this" and for those who make the millions and make the choice, I applaud them and hope they spend their money living a life I never dreamed of..I just want to see the GREAT product it used to be.

To this day, some of my best NFL memories are the games when I wondered "Can the high-flying offense of Team X match the physicality of Team B". It was abut contrast of styles and how teams seemed to adopt the persona of their cities. Steelers and Bears were living avatars of the city and the people in those cities. Now its, with little exception, 32 copy and pastes and the dividing line is literally a handful of players and luck of who avoids injuries.

I would just prefer to sit down and have the question answered "Is Danny Amendola the type of guy with the guts to go across the middle against the Panthers?" rather than wonder the question "Would the Cardinals be the Broncos if Peyton Manning played there?"
The "choice" thing is the crux of it, and I think there are valid points on both sides.

One one hand, these guys are adults, making a career choice that they SHOULD know is fraught with potential for long-term physical damage. They are in general handsomely rewarded for the risk they are taking.

On the other hand, a lot more is known today about those effects than used to be known. And a player making a choice to play a dangerous game doesn't absolve the league from the responsibility to make the game as safe as it can be. At least that's the way it seems to me it would play out in the courts.

Thought experiment:

An entertainment mogul offers a bunch of 20 year-olds the opportunity to jump off of a 3 story balcony for a cool million in cash, just for the entertainment value. Studies have shown there is a 20% mortality rate (or whatever you want the number to be) for the jump. I can virtually guarantee there would be some takers on both ends, but should it be legal? Does society have duty to protect those young people from making a decision like that? Many will say yes, some will say no.

What if one of the jumpers literally has an IQ of 60 or something? Does that change anything?

What if instead of death, there was just a 20% chance of significant brain damage instead. Does that change anything?

How much responsibility does the mogul have for letting the jumpers know the risks? Would it be different if the mogul did or didn't tell the potential jumper everything he knew?

I think we can all guess that that exact scenario would not be allowed in today's American legal system, but football and boxing/MMA are really not that far off. It's just a matter of degree.
You don't really care about the players. If you did you would be arguing for guarenteed contracts, ending the salary cap, ending rookie pay scales, hell, ending the draft (or at very least making it similar to the MLB). Making the game softer can make everyone feel better about themselves but these guys are already getting taken to the wood shed compared with other major sports leagues. Any time I say that though it becomes a blanket argument that these guys make plenty enough money. Sure... if they make the team... in the most violent sport that's played... that has the most physical and mental reprocussions later in life... that is also the most profitable league today.

I haven't read all the replies, but what we consider warts and flaws the league considers otherwise. It is in their best interest to have games drag out. More penalties, more challenges, more plays reviewed, more discussion between the refs, etc. all make the games go longer . . . which means more commercials and more advertising revenue.
So . . . you're saying that Buffalo Wild Wings stuff is real?
That's actually a pretty good conspiracy theory. How do we make the games longer to make more commercial $$$? Penalize the #### out of teams and increase the length of games. Actually makes scary good sense, especially with the buffoonary Goodell and ownership has done in his tenure.

I agree very much with the sentiment of this post. You can't watch a DB make a play or LB get a hit on a QB and even enjoy it - just three seconds of dread while you wait and wait hoping The Little Yellow Box doesn't show up.

I'm a pretty big fan and am moving to Australia in December for awhile; a few months months ago I was wondering what the hell I'd do about watching football games and after a month of this season, I barely even care about missing the games. Not a good sign for the league.

I'm a pretty big fan and am moving to Australia in December for awhile; a few months months ago I was wondering what the hell I'd do about watching football games
Australian Rules Football is sort of an acquired taste, but Rugby gets the respect it deserves where you're headed.

I'm a pretty big fan and am moving to Australia in December for awhile; a few months months ago I was wondering what the hell I'd do about watching football games
Australian Rules Football is sort of an acquired taste, but Rugby gets the respect it deserves where you're headed.
I'm actually really looking forward to trying to pick up both those sports. Kind of the anti-NFL. :)

I agree that the league doesn't really care if fans are upset if the dollars are rolling in. Where I disagree with those arguing nothing will change - I think that's incorrect for 2 reasons.

1) As fast as the NFL has risen, it can tumble. We've become used to a couple decades of NFL success, but it wasn't always that way. It's Taleb's Black Swan - just because things seem normal this way doesn't mean it can't radically change in the blink of an eye.

I think TV advertising will actually radically change in the somewhat-near future. The type of ads run during NFL games (like most TV ads) just aren't effective - that's not opinion, that's backed up by lots of research. With all the distractions, people have gotten incredibly good at tuning out information they don't care about, this includes TV ads. But large companies are like ponderous boats, it takes a long time for them to steer in a new direction. Advertising revenue won't keep going up, and as large companies slowly become better at other forms of advertising money will drain from these TV ads.

2) Long term I think we can agree the NFL is screwed. Everywhere I know of, football attendance at the grassroots level is down (both here in Canada and in the USA). Parents are moving their kids into safer sports and this will have a massive trickle up effect over time. The number of kids growing up playing football, and the number of families cheering for their child playing football, is falling. As well, there is growing discontent both with the game (as discussed here) and the off-field incidences.

People who argue nothing will change, pointing to evidence such as viewership numbers not going down folloing the Ray Rice fiasco, ignore that preferences don't change overnight.

3 million people won't instantly turn off the NFL on TV. Rather, things will change by percentages. If Bob loved watching the NFL 87% more than anything else, now he loves it 74%. He'll still tune it Sundays, still watch most games but now there are more things he'd rather be doing. So he won't stop watching NFL, he'll just watch a little less. And so it will go, adding up over time.

Because of all these factors (and others I've ignored because my post is too long) suggest to me that the NFL will experience the financials turning within this decade.
The bolded text above may seem hard to believe, but it's as much a fact as death and taxes. Every great empire that rises, be it a country or a company, eventually falls. It's just a question of when. At one point in time each of these companies seemed just as bulletproof as the NFL:

• IBM
  • Motorola
  • Circuit City
  • Montgomery Ward
  • Fannie Mae
  • Zenith
  • RCA
  • A&P
  • Xerox
  • Woolworth's
  • Merry-Go-Round
  • Paine Webber
  • Lehman Brothers
  • E.F. Hutton (nobody's listening anymore)
  • Arthur Anderson
  • Eastern Airlines
  • TWA
  • Pan Am
  • MCI Worldcom
  • Standard Oil
For those interested in the subject, there's a a good book out there titled "How the Might Fall". It lists 5 stages that empires all go through:

Stage 1 - Hubris Born of Success

Stage 2 - Undisciplined Pursuit of More

Stage 3 - Denial of Risk and Peril

Stage 4 - Grasping for Salvation

Stage 5 - Capitulation to Irrelevance or Death

So what stage is the NFL in? I think a case can be made for Stage 4, but that's just my opinion. Does that mean the NFL is going to die out in the next few years? Of course not. The one thing it has going for it is its anti-trust exemption which provides it with a huge level of protection. Interesting though - there's been a lot of chatter the last few years in Washington about that exemption, and I don't think it's as iron-clad as it used to be. It makes you wonder - what if the USFL came on the scene 25 years later?

You guys want to get together and start a new league on kickstarter? :shrug:
It's funny, a few months ago I came up with a modified version for an alternative football league, and everyone I explain it to loves it. It really borrows a few concepts from other sports as well as injects one major difference from traditional football that I think would manufacture a lot of excitement.

• No KickingYou take the 1pt on TDs or go for 2
  • After TDs ball placed on 20. (Have an interesting idea to replace onside kick as well)
  • Go for it on all fourth downs. This leads to concept of Flips (addressed later)
[*]10-minute Quarters and 35-Second Clock
  • You really get the same number of plays in a shorter amount of time.
  • This is where college is going anyway with spread and hurry ups so why not swim with the current?
[*]Penalty Card System
  • Personal fouls are no longer 15 yard penalties. Instead it's a Yellow Card. Second is a Red Card. (Yellows would expire after the game)
  • If a player gets a Red Card, the team has to play a man down on that unit (like hockey) for current series as well as next series. Obviously that's a HUGE penalty in football.
  • You now start introducing a concept of minutes and shuffling guys as you are hesitant to play a guy with a Yellow, like in basketball when someone is playing with fouls. This also helps to reduce snaps, which really is one of the biggest ways to keep players healthy.
[*]Pass Interference 15 Yards & Reduced Penalties
  • Obviously everyone is for this. Same as college. No brainer.
  • Penalties in general would be de-emphasized. Reserved for blatant, officials coached not to throw on ticky-tack calls or calls that don't affect the play.
  • Celebration penalties are eliminated and instead encouraged (within reason - no dry humping the goal post). Not sure how the NFL doesn't realize that stopping people from having fun is antithetical to entertaining them. For the Get Off My Lawn Brigade, they would stick to the NFL so who cares about them.
[*]Different Helmets
  • This one would be fairly controversial and not really necessary, but I'm a big believer that ironically the biggest problem with injuries is GIANT METAL HELMETS HITTING PEOPLE. They possibly do more harm than good.
  • I'd advocate going to more of a hockey-style helmet with plexiglass visor that protects the head but is not in itself a weapon.
  • I think this would start to self-regulate player behavior as guys are going to stop leading with their head as much when it's not encased
[*]Flipping
  • This is the biggest difference. With no punting, teams have 3 Flips a half (or whatever the correct # ends up being) where instead of going for it for 4th and 12 from their own 18 they can Flip the field position where both teams rotate so instead the other team is no 1st and 10 from their 18.
  • This would lead to a ton of great time management scenarios at end of game or end of half. Plus, it would facilitate comebacks and teams would have to take more risks even with a lead. You are inherently injecting the sport with more drama.
  • If you think coaches can't manage time outs, imagine watching the Andy Reid's of the world decide if they should use a flip
[*]Overtime
  • Each team gets one possession starting from the 50. The team that makes it farthest in four downs wins.
  • If both teams score a TD, you have another possession.
Anyway, I think this would make for a far more entertaining sport. I'll post my Kickstarter link when it's ready. :P

I NEVER get excited when somebody scores anymore because more often than not the "yellow flag box" flashes up on the screen for some bogus penalty and wipes it out. It's become beyond ridiculous this year. Your guy scores and you hold your breath for 10 seconds bracing for the phantom flag. It's honestly made me consider significantly scaling back my fantasy leagues next year to just my local league.

Commercials. Watching an NFL game is like watching American Idol. Would be a great drinking game. Shot for every commercial (double if it's the annoying back to back "now you're in my face" spots with Ugly Betty Jr.

Does anyone have the stats on average penalties per game over the past 10 years or so?

It does seem to be getting ridiculous, not sure if there are actually more penalties being called or if i'm just noticing it more.

The bolded text above may seem hard to believe, but it's as much a fact as death and taxes. Every great empire that rises, be it a country or a company, eventually falls. It's just a question of when. At one point in time each of these companies seemed just as bulletproof as the NFL:

• IBM
  • Motorola
  • Circuit City
  • Montgomery Ward
  • Fannie Mae
  • Zenith
  • RCA
  • A&P
  • Xerox
  • Woolworth's
  • Merry-Go-Round
  • Paine Webber
  • Lehman Brothers
  • E.F. Hutton (nobody's listening anymore)
  • Arthur Anderson
  • Eastern Airlines
  • TWA
  • Pan Am
  • MCI Worldcom
  • Standard Oil
For those interested in the subject, there's a a good book out there titled "How the Might Fall". It lists 5 stages that empires all go through:

Stage 1 - Hubris Born of Success

Stage 2 - Undisciplined Pursuit of More

Stage 3 - Denial of Risk and Peril

Stage 4 - Grasping for Salvation

Stage 5 - Capitulation to Irrelevance or Death

So what stage is the NFL in? I think a case can be made for Stage 4, but that's just my opinion. Does that mean the NFL is going to die out in the next few years? Of course not. The one thing it has going for it is its anti-trust exemption which provides it with a huge level of protection. Interesting though - there's been a lot of chatter the last few years in Washington about that exemption, and I don't think it's as iron-clad as it used to be. It makes you wonder - what if the USFL came on the scene 25 years later?
all those companies lost market share to a competitor, and the NFL currently has none. It will exist until fans go away or the game stops existing at the lower levels.

Does anyone have the stats on average penalties per game over the past 10 years or so?

It does seem to be getting ridiculous, not sure if there are actually more penalties being called or if i'm just noticing it more.
They've been showing a bunch of numbers every prime time game. I think I saw that illegal contact penalties through the first 4 or 5 weeks was up from ~30 to now ~90 from last year to just this year.

Said it once will say it again, right now today if fantasy football wasnt so awesome with types of leagues (dynasty, redraft, best ball, daily..............), and gambling....................the NFL wouldn't be any more popular than the other major sports.

It would still be popular, but would be trending downward somewhat quickly.

But good god these games are so damn difficult to watch. Oh, another invetion called the red-zone channel is maybe just as important as FF and gambling. I have a real hard time watching my Browns without flipping around during the 40 penalties and timeouts, but like week 4 when they had a bye, I would have probably broke my finger changing the channel so much. Thank you redzone for making 7 boring games into one enjoyable one.................but even redzone is only as good as it is cause of FF.

Viewership is up. Brand awareness is up.
Viewership is up on ####### reality TV shows like the Kardashians..............does that mean the quality is going up?

Users who are viewing this thread