What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
You realize they could fill the balls 5 mins before the refs checked them and they were most likely checked inside the stadium where the temp would be warm.
that is still tampering with an intent to deceive. IDENTICAL to using a needle to deflate post inspection. Same intent, same result.
Ok, so what is the highest temperature of a room that you can legally fill the balls in? I can't seem to find that in the rule book. What if it was 74, OK? 75? Still good. 76 well we'll let it slide. 77, guilty. And how on earth are they going to prove the temp. of the room at the time of inflation? I like the fact that you think this is so cut and dry? So many variables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because there is NO such report as yet that the balls were checked pregame with a gauge. King reported that the balls were checked at halftime with a gauge...and that they were checked post game with a gauge but all he says about the pregame inspection is that they are within the psi range.
The Boston Globe reported that the balls were checked with a gauge pre-game and were all within range.
I thought someone said the globe reported a gauge wasn't used?

Because there is NO such report as yet that the balls were checked pregame with a gauge. King reported that the balls were checked at halftime with a gauge...and that they were checked post game with a gauge but all he says about the pregame inspection is that they are within the psi range.
The Boston Globe reported that the balls were checked with a gauge pre-game and were all within range.
Well I guess that's that. Where do the Pats go for sentencing?

[SIZE=medium]When this first happened, Tim Hasselbeck said, [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]"Now, when you get them back, if anything's going to happen to them after that point, it’s by the ball boys. And, I’ve been one. I’ve been one for the New England Patriots. You’re on the sideline. You’re carrying the footballs. If you were going to… Now would you have the ability to take pressure out of that football? Sure you would. I can't imagine that anyone would ever do something like that without being told to do something like that.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Later, he also said there is no way Brady wouldn't know if they were underinflated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

To those posting that we don't know all the measurements that were made, if the information shows that air was removed from the balls between pregame and halftime, do you agree there should be punishment?

To those posting that we don't know all the measurements that were made, if the information shows that air was removed from the balls between pregame and halftime, do you

agree there should be punishment?
If they can prove someone from the Patriots removed air from the balls after the refs inspected them I definitely think there should be punishment. No question.

Agree the hot temp thing won't fly -- removing pressure from the ball after inspection is removing pressure from the ball after inspection. The method doesn't really matter.

To those posting that we don't know all the measurements that were made, if the information shows that air was removed from the balls between pregame and halftime, do you agree there should be punishment?
What if there is no proof as to anyone from the Pats removing air from the balls after all the evidence is in? Do we just sentence them because we think they did it? Add to that what if the forensics evidence doesn't rule out the possibility of the air pressure going down by a result of natural causes IE: the weather? Do you still penalize them then? Those who dismiss this scenario down the road are fooling themselves. Is it a guarantee, no? Is it very possible, yes. So tell me what you do as commish then?

ESPN Removed A Sports Science Video That Scientifically Proved Deflated Balls Didn't Give Tom Brady A Competitive Advantage. What A Bunch Of Crooked Bastids.

We may have a conspiracy on our hands, people.

ESPN Sports Science did an experiment where they deflated a football by 2 pounds and they proved, scientifically, that while such a ball would be easier to grip, the velocity would be reduced and the receiver would lose about an inch when attempting to catch the ball.

So, basically the Patriots did not have a competitive advantage in that Colts game and may have actually been at a disadvantage. And mysteriously, the video has been removed from ESPN.com:

Jesus H. Christ, I understand ESPN hates Tom Brady but this is a friggin joke. They're ignoring science so that the mindless haters can just keep on mindlessly hating. What a bunch of bull####.

I think we finally have our smoking gun that proves all of this Deflate-Gate garbage is nothing more than a media created witch hunt to drive up rating while pandering to the Patriot haters. Why else would ESPN hide the evidence that would end Deflate-Gate once and for all?

The #######s running ESPN ought to be ashamed of themselves. And if they're smart, they'll back the #### off of Tom Brady before Robert Kraft sues them for slander.

Anyway, thankfully nothing ever really dies on the internet. Someone uploaded the video to youtube (and it's still there as of right now). Here is the video that ESPN is trying to hide from us that would clear Tom Brady's name and shut up all the ignorant douchebags who irrationally hate the Patriots.

http://www.m#######sports.com/2015/01/espn-removed-sports-science-video-that.html?m=1

:)

To those posting that we don't know all the measurements that were made, if the information shows that air was removed from the balls between pregame and halftime, do you

agree there should be punishment?
If they can prove someone from the Patriots removed air from the balls after the refs inspected them I definitely think there should be punishment. No question.
Agreed. I don't know of one Pats fan who doesn't agree with that.

I also think that if Pats were jacking around with the pressures and temperatures as some are saying (which is way over the top to me) it deserves about the same punishment as letting air out post inspection. Plus it would get about the same, "Dude, are you kidding me?" I mean we all like our balls to feel good, but lordy, just play the freaking game.

ESPN Removed A Sports Science Video That Scientifically Proved Deflated Balls Didn't Give Tom Brady A Competitive Advantage. What A Bunch Of Crooked Bastids.

ESPN Sports Science did an experiment where they deflated a football by 2 pounds and they proved, scientifically, that while such a ball would be easier to grip, the velocity would be reduced and the receiver would lose about an inch when attempting to catch the ball.

So, basically the Patriots did not have a competitive advantage in that Colts game and may have actually been at a disadvantage. And mysteriously, the video has been removed from ESPN.com:

Jesus H. Christ, I understand ESPN hates Tom Brady but this is a friggin joke. They're ignoring science so that the mindless haters can just keep on mindlessly hating. What a bunch of bull####.

I think we finally have our smoking gun that proves all of this Deflate-Gate garbage is nothing more than a media created witch hunt to drive up rating while pandering to the Patriot haters. Why else would ESPN hide the evidence that would end Deflate-Gate once and for all?

The #######s running ESPN ought to be ashamed of themselves. And if they're smart, they'll back the #### off of Tom Brady before Robert Kraft sues them for slander.

Anyway, thankfully nothing ever really dies on the internet. Someone uploaded the video to youtube (and it's still there as of right now). Here is the video that ESPN is trying to hide from us that would clear Tom Brady's name and shut up all the ignorant douchebags who irrationally hate the Patriots.

http://www.m#######sports.com/2015/01/espn-removed-sports-science-video-that.html?m=1

Already saw this. Even the most avid Pats hater has to admit this is a joke. ESPN is going to cater to the 95% of the country who hate the Pats and as a business decision I don't blame them. It is what it is.

Site question: Are you guys typing hashmarks, or are you just cussing?

(Gonna feel pretty ######### stupid for typing hashmarks)

Let's try to clarify some things.

1) The outcome of the game doesn't matter. Saying that NE would have won anyway is irrelevant.

2) Even if the rules are either dumb or poorly defined, there are rules that are on the books.

3) What other QBs do or have done before (or the refs for that matter) won't matter.

3) Whether the Patriots did or did not gain a competitive advantage is irrelevant.

4) If the balls were inspected and PSI checked before the game and it turns out that the footballs were tampered with by NE before half time, that will be considered cheating.

5) If it is found that there is a paper trail (in this case an electronic one) that would show the Patriots were complicit and lying.

6) We have no idea how far back this goes, and if the league can show a pattern of doing this for years, that goes to show a culture of cheating.

Not saying that they did or did not do anything illegal or if the league can or cannot prove anything, but all the excuses and maybe this and maybe that (at least in Items 1-4) will not make a difference. If it is proven that the Pats broke the rules, then the Pats broke the rules. Who and how they would punish is the big question.

If the league can show a trail that this goes back a few years then why the #### haven't they stopped this sooner?
I'd guess nobody really cared about this. The article about fumble rates of the Pats correlating to the rule change is pretty crazy though.

The problem really is the intentional messing with the ball if that is what happened.

1) The outcome of the game doesn't matter. Saying that NE would have won anyway is irrelevant.

2) Even if the rules are either dumb or poorly defined, there are rules that are on the books.

3) What other QBs do or have done before (or the refs for that matter) won't matter.

3) Whether the Patriots did or did not gain a competitive advantage is irrelevant.

4) If the balls were inspected and PSI checked before the game and it turns out that the footballs were tampered with by NE before half time, that will be considered cheating.

5) If it is found that there is a paper trail (in this case an electronic one) that would show the Patriots were complicit and lying.

6) We have no idea how far back this goes, and if the league can show a pattern of doing this for years, that goes to show a culture of cheating.

Not saying that they did or did not do anything illegal or if the league can or cannot prove anything, but all the excuses and maybe this and maybe that (at least in Items 1-4) will not make a difference. If it is proven that the Pats broke the rules, then the Pats broke the rules. Who and how they would punish is the big question.
I agree on all points. Everything boils down to the NFL being able to prove tampering. Deflated balls in and of themselves do not prove that regardless of the masses proclaiming it does. Will there be evidence to implicate them is the ?

the Patriots would be just as guilty because they would be violating the spirit of the rule.
Especially since if they did it they've now lied about it.Love how people are completely ignoring reports that the refs checked the balls with a gauge this time in favor of all kinds of other reports not related to this game.

IMO the Colts and/or Ravens figured out what the Pats were doing with the balls. Tipped the league off and now they've been caught red-handed. Only question left is how much evidence they can gather and who takes the fall. But they aren't going to skate at this point.
Because there is NO such report as yet that the balls were checked pregame with a gauge. King reported that the balls were checked at halftime with a gauge...and that they were checked post game with a gauge but all he says about the pregame inspection is that they are within the psi range. I realize that the only way to know that they are within range is to use a gauge so I know this is gonna be seen as splitting hairs but the reality is all we have for known facts are what is on the deflategate wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeflateGate. I strongly recommend anyone posting to read that page and compare it to the 67 pages in this thread since its instructive of the vast diff between facts and rumor/conjecture/theories/misinformation that is contained within these 67 pages (and counting). Nothing wrong with rumor, conjecture and theories but we all need to be careful about what we are ALL passing off as "facts" because the fact is we just don't have that many.
yesterdays boston globe story.
I don't have time to read the whole article...can you just post a link with the readings from the refs log book?

Also were they compared to the logs from previous games?

Yup to all those thing.

A ton of people will continue to ignore all that and say it doesn't matter what the PSI is, they Pats blew the Colts out, everyone does it, the rule is dumb, etc.

the Patriots would be just as guilty because they would be violating the spirit of the rule.
Especially since if they did it they've now lied about it.

Love how people are completely ignoring reports that the refs checked the balls with a gauge this time in favor of all kinds of other reports not related to this game.

IMO the Colts and/or Ravens figured out what the Pats were doing with the balls. Tipped the league off and now they've been caught red-handed. Only question left is how much evidence they can gather and who takes the fall. But they aren't going to skate at this point.
Because there is NO such report as yet that the balls were checked pregame with a gauge. King reported that the balls were checked at halftime with a gauge...and that they were checked post game with a gauge but all he says about the pregame inspection is that they are within the psi range. I realize that the only way to know that they are within range is to use a gauge so I know this is gonna be seen as splitting hairs but the reality is all we have for known facts are what is on the deflategate wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeflateGate. I strongly recommend anyone posting to read that page and compare it to the 67 pages in this thread since its instructive of the vast diff between facts and rumor/conjecture/theories/misinformation that is contained within these 67 pages (and counting). Nothing wrong with rumor, conjecture and theories but we all need to be careful about what we are ALL passing off as "facts" because the fact is we just don't have that many.
yesterdays boston globe story.
got it. thx for the redirection. FWIW, I thought folks were relying solely on the King story which (as another poster noted) strangely stated that a gauge was used at halftime and postgame, but failed to use the same "gauge used" language for the pre-game inspection. anyway, that made my BS detector go off in a manner similar to the way it went off when I heard Brady confronted on the radio Monday morning with a non-denial laugh. That is, I tend to find as much info in what people do NOT say as I do in what they DO say.

In any case, I'm a Pats fan who will be very disappointed if it is confirmed* that they removed air post inspection.

*Note: by "confirmed" I mean if there is no simple scientific explanation to account for the sig pressure change. That is, I do NOT need an eyewitness, a video, or other smoking gun...all I will need is considerable circumstantial evidence. And for the record, I believe Belichick, but found Brady's press conference less than fully believable. At present however, I will give NE the benefit of the doubt that either the ball pressure did NOT drop by 2psi as cited by only Mort at this time OR was close enough to the specified PSI to be within range (yes, even with the globe story I still have my doubts that referees test all 24 balls via: a pressure gauge, scale, long circumference measure, short circumference measure, and end-to-end measurement. Call me naïve, but until I hear that from an official NFL source I will continue to be skeptical of the exactitude of referees' testing procedures).

The Pats are cheaters. Belichick will do anything to win, including breaking the rules.

I've heard people trying to trivialize it (Pats fans). Tampering with standardized game equipment to get a competitive advantage.........That's about as bad as it gets IMO.

Brady and Belichick are playing dumb.......haha.......what a cluster!

And I wanted to root for the Pats. I cant stand the chickens. But now, I'm just kind of uninterested. Thank God for college basketball!

Love how people are completely ignoring reports that the refs checked the balls with a gauge this time in favor of all kinds of other reports not related to this game.

There are countless reports that the balls were checked pre-game. The standard way of checking air-pressure is with a gauge. According to this video, that's exactly how the officials check the balls before EVERY game. Why do you need to see a report that specifically says "the balls were checked with a gauge?"

What a completely ridiculous article. The ball being easier to grip, catch, and hold onto massively more than makes up for any miniscule and unnoticeable loss in velocity.

Seriously, have people on this forum really never thrown a football in their entire friggin' lives? An under-inflated football is an obvious advantage. Anyone that's ever thrown one could tell you that. Again, go do it RIGHT NOW. You will immediately notice a huge difference in how easy it is to throw and hold onto.

Depressed Pats fans: you will enjoy the second half of Bill Simmons' podcast on this. He talks to Joe Bug, who is in full in full on eff you mode. Did my heart good. I hope the Pats are in full on eff you mode in a week and a day.

Yeah I don't get why people keep saying there's no advantage despite evidence to show otherwise... Consider this article... Advantage to holding onto the ball at historical clip since 2010

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

Devouredbychaos and Rocket... If you can in fact read then I'd love to hear your opinion after you read the article in the link above

No advantage? Please stop with that nonsense

Didn't matter in colts game but take a macro perspective (that means a larger view)

You realize they could fill the balls 5 mins before the refs checked them and they were most likely checked inside the stadium where the temp would be warm.
that is still tampering with an intent to deceive. IDENTICAL to using a needle to deflate post inspection. Same intent, same result.
Agreed. It's weird to see people clinging to this "maybe they filled the NE balls with hot air" thing. That would still be clear, unambiguous cheating.

I see the intelligent dialogue stopped with post #3389. Too bad, as there was some decent discussion prior to that. It's too bad we don't have two sites, one for idiots and the other for people with something worth while to bring to the table.

Depressed Pats fans: you will enjoy the second half of Bill Simmons' podcast on this. He talks to Joe Bug, who is in full in full on eff you mode. Did my heart good. I hope the Pats are in full on eff you mode in a week and a day.
Why? Nobody other NE homers is going to recognize a SB win as legitimate.

There are countless reports that the balls were checked pre-game. The standard way of checking air-pressure is with a gauge. According to this video, that's exactly how the officials check the balls before EVERY game. Why do you need to see a report that specifically says "the balls were checked with a gauge?"
I don't need a "report" I just need an official NFL confirmation because 1) I just find it a little hard to believe that referees were checking EVERY aspect of the football specifications (psi, length, weight, long circumference, short circumference) of 24 footballs. What if the Patriots footballs were found to be too oblong, would you find it odd if I told you I doubted that referees were measuring the long circumference of every one of the 24 footballs? Maybe psi is SO important that that it is the one measurement they are making on all 24 balls, maybe the inspection process does involve all the measurements specified above. I'm trying hard not to be a "homer" and I'm certainly not trying to obtuse. Just trying to understand what "checking" the balls pre-game actually means. In any acse, I have since be directed to a Boston Globe article that cites that the balls were gauged pre-game so assuming that is accurate (and the psi loss is not explainable by temp change from indoor to outdoor) then it would certainly strongly suggest that the Patriots tampered with the balls AFTER the pre-game inspection. And that's all I need to implicate Brady as is find it inconceivable that IF tampering occurred after the pre-game inspection that it would be done WITHOUT his knowledge/acceptance/direction.

I disagree with point 1. All this discussion over something that didn't effect the outcome of game. The amount of media scrutiny on football PSI rivals that of bountygate - where a teams actions directly effected the outcome of a championship game. What it comes down to we have 100,000 plus sports reporters with nothing interesting to talk about because the favorites made it to the Super Bowl. I wish this story would just go away. It has grown tiresome.

Agreed. It's weird to see people clinging to this "maybe they filled the NE balls with hot air" thing. That would still be clear, unambiguous cheating.
The problem is that it is not in the rule book. What is the highest temperature that can be used? What's the lowest? Does it have to be air? What about nitrogen? Helium? Can you fart in a ball? I don't know, what is the rule? If there are no parameters then where do you decide on what is legal and what isn't? It would be like penalizing someone for over/under inflating the ball with no PSI limits.

If you want to blame someone then blame the league for not putting together a set of comprehensive rules to govern the process.You can't make them up as you go along.

disagree with it being identical.
Why?
Personally, i just see it more of a weigh in scenario. If the rules specifically say that they must be checked pregame and inspected and not tampered with during the game, then one of those situations sticks to that rule and one does not. Purposely letting air out after is worse to me.

Sure, we know the intent of the rule, but this happens in life all the time.

all eyes will be on them from the psi of the football to the length of their laces. If they win the game it will be 100% legitimate.

I think critical to this entire investigation was how the balls were measured at half time. Ideally, if you are truly running an even test, all the balls, colts and pats, are tested exactly the same way, in the same type of environment, at the same time.

For example, after halftime did they measure the pats balls first?

From the time those balls left the field to the time they were measured, temperature would have an impact. If the pats balls were measured first vs. simultaneously with the cots balls, the colts balls would have an opportunity to warm up. PSI would change.

All variables in this sting operation should be held constant. Otherwise, the results will be garbage.

I don't have any confidence that the NFL ran this "test" in a scientific manner. If they did, I want to understand step by step what they did to both sets of balls.

Until then, I think everyone needs to calm down.

disagree with it being identical.
Why?
Personally, i just see it more of a weigh in scenario. If the rules specifically say that they must be checked pregame and inspected and not tampered with during the game, then one of those situations sticks to that rule and one does not. Purposely letting air out after is worse to me.

Sure, we know the intent of the rule, but this happens in life all the time.
I doubt the rules are written this way, but it really comes down to accountability. The Patriots should be held accountable that they are using balls which are within the rules. There shouldn't be any attempt to try to manipulate the way the balls are measured or any care if they do as long as the ones they run their plays with are correct.

Somewhere along the line we started getting into hypotheticals instead of what really matters: playing the game with footballs that meet the rules.

all eyes will be on them from the psi of the football to the length of their laces. If they win the game it will be 100% legitimate.
I disagree. If SEA loses, I think a lot of people are going to view Baltimore as the unofficial champion.

I disagree with point 1. All this discussion over something that didn't effect the outcome of game. The amount of media scrutiny on football PSI rivals that of bountygate - where a teams actions directly effected the outcome of a championship game. What it comes down to we have 100,000 plus sports reporters with nothing interesting to talk about because the favorites made it to the Super Bowl. I wish this story would just go away. It has grown tiresome.
Not to annoy you further, but at the time the Pats (allegedly) were to have let air out of all the footballs after they were properly inspected, would that a) have been intentional, b) broken the rules, c) did so to benefit their team? If the answers to those are YES (and it should be), the outcome of the game does not matter to the issue of NE having broken the rules. Either they broke the rules or they didn't, and the outcome of the came has nothing to do with that.

It may have had no bearing on the outcome of the game, but they would still have intentionally broken or skirted the rules. Not sure how that one is open for debate, but to each his own.

I disagree. If SEA loses, I think a lot of people are going to view Baltimore as the unofficial champion.
That would be really dumb, since there is no way of knowing if Baltimore would have beaten Indy, much less Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread