What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Common fantasy league formats that you find silly (1 Viewer)

spider321

Footballguy
For me it's total points and TE premium leagues.

Neither of these systems make any sense to me. (I hate 2QB leagues, too) :D

What are your fantasy league pet peeves and why?

(I know I didn't include my reasons, but I'm a fatty, and dinner is almost ready!!!) :wub:

I guess I'm traditional. I don't mind differences in scoring, but I prefer the rosters to mimic the NFL. I also don't like 2 qb leagues.

I don't like old school leagues with 2RB, 2WR, and no flex or PPR - way too much reliance on RBs, and for many teams, if their top RB goes down, the season is over.

I also don't have much love for 2QB leagues.

Not a fan of formats that do not incorporate 2QBs. Two starting QBs makes QBs actually matter in fantasy and adding PPR to that makes the offensive positions all very close in value.

Standard format leagues are very Ho-hum and scripted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised that there's so much hate for superflex leagues-QBs are kings in NFL, I feel that it makes sense that being able to put a QB in the flex raises their value similarly.

I don't really understand the reasoning often given for disliking 2 QB leagues. "It's not like the NFL" doesn't really fly when most fantasy leagues start 2+ tailbacks. How many NFL plays have two tailbacks on the field at the same time? It does happen, but not that often.

Online snake drafts. I get that auctions aren't easy for live drafts, but there's no excuse online drafts should be primarily snake drafted.

Online snake drafts. I get that auctions aren't easy for live drafts, but there's no excuse online drafts should be primarily snake drafted.
I get that auctions have their appeal.

Personally, I want to pick my team without worrying about accounting, too.

The inclusion of kickers in any leagues, they are a massive pain in the ###, nobody cares about them and getting round to dealing with them for your teams every week is annoying. I am now not in a single league with kickers and won't join one that has them, waste of time and effort!

I'm not a huge team D fan either but I can live with them.

Love SFlex leagues; not sure why people are bagging on them, in a 1QB QBs are practically worthless outside of Rodgers and Luck, people say "it's not like the NFL" but neither is QBs being unimportant, also in the NFL they don't start 2 RBs and we don't use a punter in fantasy. That theory gets my goat it's fantasy football not Madden.

I also don't do IDP, I spend enough time keeping up with offences and my teams, got nothing against but it's just too much for me!

The more complicated the better for me but I'll play anything where I can make some $.
I love leagues that are complicated. Give me the leagues that have weekly payouts for highest team score, highest player scores, roll a survivor challenge into it, deeper starter lineups, pickem pools.

Some leagues give an entire point just for catching the football. In such leagues, you actually get more points for a -1 yard hitch compared to a 7 yard run. It baffles me.

Some leagues give an entire point just for catching the football. In such leagues, you actually get more points for a -1 yard hitch compared to a 7 yard run. It baffles me.
True, but on the other hand WRs don't get as many touches a game as a RB, so it evens out.

True, but on the other hand WRs don't get as many touches a game as a RB, so it evens out.
This is the logic it was based on when it was thought up, back in the olden times when RBs were workhouses, RBBCs were rare, and 4000 yard seasons were historical. It was a lazy way to make a scoring system that devalued RBs and the fact that it gave RBs who catch the ball more often a ridiculous advantage over RBs who were in schemes that didn't was an afterthought consequence. 2 RB and 2 WR leagues were also a lot more common then.

Today, 2 RB, 3 WR leagues with multiple 4000 yard seasons and RBBC being the norm, it needs to be done away with.

2qb leagues. I get it, but dont like them.

What we need more of is dynasty leagues with salary caps. You want to mimic the NFL and pretend to be a gm, join one of them.

'standard' scoring and bonuses for milestones.

The former boiling down to being a top 5 pick and hitting on the RB that doesn't bust. The latter being a win-more point system.

This is the logic it was based on when it was thought up, back in the olden times when RBs were workhouses, RBBCs were rare, and 4000 yard seasons were historical. It was a lazy way to make a scoring system that devalued RBs and the fact that it gave RBs who catch the ball more often a ridiculous advantage over RBs who were in schemes that didn't was an afterthought consequence. 2 RB and 2 WR leagues were also a lot more common then.

Today, 2 RB, 3 WR leagues with multiple 4000 yard seasons and RBBC being the norm, it needs to be done away with.
Unlike taking a handoff catching a pass is challenge because of that I understand awarding a point for the catch (maybe one point is too much)

I know I am in the minority but I don’t like that yards are more important than TD’s. I understand that yards are more predictable but don’t think they should be more important

2 QB leagues....will NEVER EVER play in one..QB is the most important spot on the field, why devalue it by starting two?? The way FF is scored now...1 pt for 10 yards?? Really?? 10 points for 100yds?? Worth more than a TD?? Pretty sure in the NFL TD's are what get the points, not yards. I could see something like 1 for every 25 or 30 or something, but no way, no how should any amount of yards EVER be worth more than a TD.

Negative points for fumbles or INT's. This might be one of the dumbest concepts of all time.

Auction "drafts"....NO NO NO. Most of the fun is drafting your team. If i can just "buy" a player, that doesn't seem fun at all. I want to be able to maneuver around the draft via trades, hit on that "sleeper" that most didn't know about..move up from 1.11 or 1.16, or move down. You have to work the draft, that's what it's all about.

Anything less than 6 points for a passing TD....whoever came up with the idea of moving it to "4" or "5" points for a passing TD ruined the game...plain and simple. You say it's to "even" out the positions?? The QB is the most important position in real football AND fantasy football. he dominates the ball..Don't have a good/great one, then the rest of your team better be incredibly solid to overcome it. That's just the way it is.

And last but not least...the outrageous scores you can get in most leagues now days. Over 100 points?? 75 points?? Really?? How does that mimic the NFL at all?? That's ludicrous! In my league, 35-40 and you have a good shot to win, and that's with individual defensive players. It's hard to mimic the NFL as far as lineups etc go, but the points damn well should!

2 QB leagues....will NEVER EVER play in one..QB is the most important spot on the field, why devalue it by starting two?? The way FF is scored now...1 pt for 10 yards?? Really?? 10 points for 100yds?? Worth more than a TD?? Pretty sure in the NFL TD's are what get the points, not yards. I could see something like 1 for every 25 or 30 or something, but no way, no how should any amount of yards EVER be worth more than a TD.

Negative points for fumbles or INT's. This might be one of the dumbest concepts of all time.

Auction "drafts"....NO NO NO. Most of the fun is drafting your team. If i can just "buy" a player, that doesn't seem fun at all. I want to be able to maneuver around the draft via trades, hit on that "sleeper" that most didn't know about..move up from 1.11 or 1.16, or move down. You have to work the draft, that's what it's all about.

Anything less than 6 points for a passing TD....whoever came up with the idea of moving it to "4" or "5" points for a passing TD ruined the game...plain and simple. You say it's to "even" out the positions?? The QB is the most important position in real football AND fantasy football. he dominates the ball..Don't have a good/great one, then the rest of your team better be incredibly solid to overcome it. That's just the way it is.

And last but not least...the outrageous scores you can get in most leagues now days. Over 100 points?? 75 points?? Really?? How does that mimic the NFL at all?? That's ludicrous! In my league, 35-40 and you have a good shot to win, and that's with individual defensive players. It's hard to mimic the NFL as far as lineups etc go, but the points damn well should!
QB are way more valuable in 2-QB leagues not devalued.

Auction drafts allow you to get whatever player you want at whatever price you want to pay for them. No luck of the draft order or any of that mess involved.

Why does FF have to mimic the NFL? I assume that means you only play in leagues that start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR and 1 TE?

I know I am in the minority but I don’t like that yards are more important than TD’s. I understand that yards are more predictable but don’t think they should be more important
I don't know any league that yards are more important. 1 touchdown is 6 or 4 points. It takes a lot of yards to equal 1 touchdown.

ST/DEF leagues should be abolished. Certainly you are not going to find me playing without at least 7 IDPs

Not a format, but anybody that uses h2h as the tiebreaker for playoffs. It's beyond stupid. Some things are a matter of preference etc, but the H2h tiebreaker is one choice where there is a clear right and wrong answer.

You heavily discount the amount of strategy involved in auction drafts.

ST/DEF leagues should be abolished. Certainly you are not going to find me playing without at least 7 IDPs
I can see how that can bug some people, but for people like myself I have no desire or time to learn the other side of the ball for fantasy. I spend too much time on the traditional fantasy to add another half.

I can see how that can bug some people, but for people like myself I have no desire or time to learn the other side of the ball for fantasy. I spend too much time on the traditional fantasy to add another half.
I also agree with this.

When you have time I suppose it's not a big deal. But my time is already at a premium with work and family and IDP formats require just too much investment I'm not willing to make.

Wow. You have one of the most inaccurate perceptions on everything you just talked about. I don't really care for 2 QB leagues but the whole point of it is to make the QB position the most valuable.

Saying yards have been more important that TDs for QBs also makes no sense. The QB position has to put up more yards than any other position to get to 10.

The most ludicrous statement you make in your entire post was about auctions. I can only assume that you have never done one before. I,m pretty sure it's a well known fact that there is a great deal more strategy that goes into drafting in an auction

As for your point system, it sounds super boring.

I dislike leagues that do scoring by whole numbers. So if a player has 99 yards they only get 9 points. If you want it to be accurate and avoid ties then that player should get 9.9 points. I also dislike very low scoring leagues because it can also lead to more ties. A fantasy game that ends 37 to 41 sounds so incredibly boring to me.

I don't like winning based only on total points even though I get why some people want it. Last year I finished with the most points in a league and still missed the playoffs by one game. It sucked but that's just the way it goes.

Wow. You have one of the most inaccurate perceptions on everything you just talked about. I don't really care for 2 QB leagues but the whole point of it is to make the QB position the most valuable.

Saying yards have been more important that TDs for QBs also makes no sense. The QB position has to put up more yards than any other position to get to 10.

The most ludicrous statement you make in your entire post was about auctions. I can only assume that you have never done one before. I,m pretty sure it's a well known fact that there is a great deal more strategy that goes into drafting in an auction

As for your point system, it sounds super boring.
His problem is wanting fantasy football to be like real football and it just isn't. The only thing they share is the fact we use stats from one to play the other.

I don't mind making it like real football but not exactly like it. It more like just a concept or using the NFL as guidelines.

Non PPR anything pretty much. I can get down on about any other type of league size or format as long as its 10+ teams and fun.

The inclusion of kickers in any leagues, they are a massive pain in the ###, nobody cares about them and getting round to dealing with them for your teams every week is annoying. I am now not in a single league with kickers and won't join one that has them, waste of time and effort!

I'm not a huge team D fan either but I can live with them.

Love SFlex leagues; not sure why people are bagging on them, in a 1QB QBs are practically worthless outside of Rodgers and Luck, people say "it's not like the NFL" but neither is QBs being unimportant, also in the NFL they don't start 2 RBs and we don't use a punter in fantasy. That theory gets my goat it's fantasy football not Madden.

I also don't do IDP, I spend enough time keeping up with offences and my teams, got nothing against but it's just too much for me!
We have punters. Fantastic position for fantasy. If you can predict a team's offense you can predict punters generally, especially if you avoid punts inside 20 in your scoring and just go straight gross yardage. Unlike team defense and kickers which are much more random. Predictable enough some can also do well just playing match ups.

My. God.

Users who are viewing this thread