What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (1 Viewer)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
Crazy, didn't hear a hundredth of this whining when ol'chicken parm got the rules changed for DBs playing press.
Got the rules changed? You mean that playoff game when the Pats DBs were tackling at the line of scrimmage, then pass intereference calls were increased the following season as a result? Yeah, I remember that too.I also remember the time clam shell lovers complaining about the exact same thing the year their team blew the biggest halftime lead in playoff history.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reeks of the Chad Johnson signing a few years ago. The Colts organization absolutely love Reggie Wayne. And saw him every day at practice and in games. If they didn't think he was worth a roster spot anymore, that must mean he's done.

This reeks of the Chad Johnson signing a few years ago. The Colts organization absolutely love Reggie Wayne. And saw him every day at practice and in games. If they didn't think he was worth a roster spot anymore, that must mean he's done.
For an eagles fan you are pretty obsessed about the New England Patriots. This is reason 426 why I love the pats!!!

It's really a low risk signing, and they're a little desperate at the position with LaFell banged up. If it doesn't work out, it really doesn't change anything all that much.

It's really a low risk signing, and they're a little desperate at the position with LaFell banged up. If it doesn't work out, it really doesn't change anything all that much.
Yeah, as was the Chad Johnson signing. I don't blame them for trying, I just can't imagine Indy letting him go if he had anything left in the tank

For an eagles fan you are pretty obsessed about the New England Patriots. This is reason 426 why I love the pats!!!
Pssst. The entire league has been obsessed with their latest scandal. At least they're popular for something.

Yeah, as was the Chad Johnson signing. I don't blame them for trying, I just can't imagine Indy letting him go if he had anything left in the tank
And I'm sure if the Packers signed Reggie Wayne, it would have been the best signing ever.

Crazy, didn't hear a hundredth of this whining when ol'chicken parm got the rules changed for DBs playing press.
Got the rules changed? You mean that playoff game when the Pats DBs were tackling at the line of scrimmage, then pass intereference calls were increased the following season as a result? Yeah, I remember that too.I also remember the time clam shell lovers complaining about the exact same thing the year their team blew the biggest halftime lead in playoff history.
Fundamental differences being when the Pats played tough on the line and Peypey complained it was legal. When the pats were getting mugged every play it wasn't.

Spygate happened because bb thumbed his nose at goodell. Deflategate happened be bb embarassed harbaugh. The former was definitively cheating, the latter may have been but we will never know unless the ballboys roll over in the future. To say either gave a bonds type advantage is laughable on its face.

Spygate happened because bb thumbed his nose at goodell. Deflategate happened be bb embarassed harbaugh. The former was definitively cheating, the latter may have been but we will never know unless the ballboys roll over in the future. To say either gave a bonds type advantage is laughable on its face.
If only you could go back in time VBD, and place yourself as a Pats coach and when you heard about plans for spying and deflating you would have just laughed in BB and Brady's face about how "you" know it will not give a competitive advantage. Then this thread wouldn't exist I'm sure of it.

Fundamental differences being when the Pats played tough on the line and Peypey complained it was legal. When the pats were getting mugged every play it wasn't.
It wasn't legal either time, and it wasn't enforced either time. Difference is, the first time it actually happened, and the second time it was a figment of your imagination.

Lol, sure bud. Revisionist history.

Lets pretend the league didn't completely change the contact rules for DBs/WRs because of the Patriots Colts rivalry. Anyone who watched football in the 2000's should know.

Lol, yeah, cause that Grigson fellow really has his #### together.

"I can't imagine Indy paying a first round pick for Trent Richardson if he wasn't a beast!"

Lol, sure bud. Revisionist history.

Lets pretend the league didn't completely change the contact rules for DBs/WRs because of the Patriots Colts rivalry. Anyone who watched football in the 2000's should know.
Revisionist... yup, that's me. It's a shame there isn't some tool we could use to find the truth.

LMGTFY:

"He wanted a brawl and he instructed his players to hit the Colts receivers hard every chance they had. The strategy was called rerouting, and what it meant was that instead of Colts receivers going unimpeded to where Manning expected them to be, the Patriots rerouted them shoving is a more precise term until the timing of the pass patterns was so off that the plays were useless.

"This was probably the most simple game plan we had, cornerback Ty Law, with the Patriots at the time and now with the Kansas City Chiefs, said after that game. Just beat them up.

"The following off-season, the league issued a point of emphasis edict from the competition committee about how defensive holding and illegal contact would be officiated. Since then, defenders have had to be more careful about touching receivers beyond the first 5 yards of a play."

"Point of emphasis" is not the same as a "new rule."

Just sayin'.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/sports/football/19colts.html?referrer=&_r=0

I don't believe there's any special vendetta against the Pats. I just think this story ran away from the league and everything they've done since is pure cover your butt stuff. Pats were just in the way.
This right here is everything in a nut shell. Goodell and Kraft are friends...or at least they were. I don't believe Goodell had any intention of taking down the Patriots....but once the snowball got rolling, he had no way of stopping it. Now he is just trying to cover his own butt and protect the league....and he is throwing Kraft, Brady, and the Pats under the bus to do so.
Goodell is dead to Kraft, has been reported several times that Kraft is done with him.And anyone that believes there aren't people at the highest levels of the NFL with beef with the Pats are simply blind.
While you may be correct, the exact same thing could be about the Pats reputation for cheating; that is anyone who believes there isn't a pattern of cheating in NE is simply blind.

Run It Up said:
I don't believe there's any special vendetta against the Pats. I just think this story ran away from the league and everything they've done since is pure cover your butt stuff. Pats were just in the way.
This right here is everything in a nut shell. Goodell and Kraft are friends...or at least they were. I don't believe Goodell had any intention of taking down the Patriots....but once the snowball got rolling, he had no way of stopping it. Now he is just trying to cover his own butt and protect the league....and he is throwing Kraft, Brady, and the Pats under the bus to do so.
Goodell is dead to Kraft, has been reported several times that Kraft is done with him.And anyone that believes there aren't people at the highest levels of the NFL with beef with the Pats are simply blind.
While you may be correct, the exact same thing could be about the Pats reputation for cheating; that is anyone who believes there isn't a pattern of cheating in NE is simply blind.
The difference is I can produce actual quotes of NFL employees at the highest levels. Can you produce any actual proof the Pats have cheated outside of spygate. Or perhaps you could even quantify the impact of spygate itself.

Its been said in this thread over the last three days that the Pats have such a sorted history of cheating, with all these transgressions that were so much more serious than anyone else. Yet no one will name them.
Careful what you say Bayhawks or you may find a horses head in your bed one morning.

Run It Up said:
The difference is I can produce actual quotes of NFL employees at the highest levels. Can you produce any actual proof the Pats have cheated outside of spygate. Or perhaps you could even quantify the impact of spygate itself.

Its been said in this thread over the last three days that the Pats have such a sorted history of cheating, with all these transgressions that were so much more serious than anyone else. Yet no one will name them.
Careful what you say Bayhawks or you may find a horses head in your bed one morning.
Well there's plenty of dead ones being beaten in this thread, so no shortage of horse heads.

Run It Up said:

I was a little surprised to see Bayhawks shift from the #always rhetoric to the Koya dilaudid rhetoric.

It's interesting that its ok for one side of the discussion to theorize that deflategate is a proxy for punishment of undocumented sins, at the same time dis-allowing the possibility that deflategate is a proxy for the "sin" of operating on the razor's edge of the rulebook and embarrassing the dimwitted.

The league could use more brilliant coaches like Joe Gibbs, who said of the beatdown that the Patriots put on his Redskins I have no problem with what they did; if we don't want that to happen, we have to play better and coach better.

A digression regarding the ankle-nipping surrounding the point of emphasis regarding DB contact with receivers. History documents that the point of emphasis was brought about via the competition committee lead by Jeff Fisher and Bill Polian. After the point of emphasis was put in place, 5 head won the only superbowl he ever won and will ever win thanks to the successful manipulation of the rules by Polian. Belichick's response? Randy Moss, 23 TDs and 18-0.

Later on, Belichick innovates again with dual move TEs, and the league follows suit. Again and again, innovation and a near beligerent perspective on limitations of the NFL rulebook deserving exploitation (hello Jim Harbaugh!), and the epic stewardship of the greatest coach in the history of the national football league rolls on.

Personally, I'm on to Cincinnati.

Run It Up said:

I was a little surprised to see Bayhawks shift from the #always rhetoric to the Koya dilaudid rhetoric.

It's interesting that its ok for one side of the discussion to theorize that deflategate is a proxy for punishment of undocumented sins, at the same time dis-allowing the possibility that deflategate is a proxy for the "sin" of operating on the razor's edge of the rulebook and embarrassing the dimwitted.

The league could use more brilliant coaches like Joe Gibbs, who said of the beatdown that the Patriots put on his Redskins I have no problem with what they did; if we don't want that to happen, we have to play better and coach better.

A digression regarding the ankle-nipping surrounding the point of emphasis regarding DB contact with receivers. History documents that the point of emphasis was brought about via the competition committee lead by Jeff Fisher and Bill Polian. After the point of emphasis was put in place, 5 head won the only superbowl he ever won and will ever win thanks to the successful manipulation of the rules by Polian. Belichick's response? Randy Moss, 23 TDs and 18-0.

Later on, Belichick innovates again with dual move TEs, and the league follows suit. Again and again, innovation and a near beligerent perspective on limitations of the NFL rulebook deserving exploitation (hello Jim Harbaugh!), and the epic stewardship of the greatest coach in the history of the national football league rolls on.

Personally, I'm on to Cincinnati.
WOW. You Pats fans are just full of endearing insufferable ####ery. As Runitup would whine..."where's the moderator?"

Did you take my commentary regarding leeser coaches as directed at anyone here? If so you should read more closely. The thread is chock full of personal and group attacks on anyone who has the audacity to speak up on behalf of their team, but by all means dont let that interfere with your faux victimization. Deuces.

Did you take my commentary regarding leeser coaches as directed at anyone here? If so you should read more closely. The thread is chock full of personal and group attacks on anyone who has the audacity to speak up on behalf of their team, but by all means dont let that interfere with your faux victimization. Deuces.
yeah, and your post is chock full too --- "faux victimization" what?!? put down the thesaurus.

Please produce those quotes, if you would not mind. I'd like to see them, and who made them.

With regards to NEs cheating reputation, there's obviously spygate & deflategate; then (since it seems NE fans insist on counting players busted for PEDs as team "cheats") there have been several Pats busted for PEDs (Spikes & Boldin for sure, probably others), playing with the injury report (isn't Brady on it almost every week?; saying Talib had a hip injury & I think it was a knee?), also Spikes was placed on IR as punishment for being late, which is against the rules. And, as others have posted, many people assume if they got caught for these things, there were other instances where they didn't get caught; of course that's just speculation. But, bottom line is that they've been caught cheating before, so people might say those who downplay it are just blind; just as you think there are NFL officials out get the Pats, and those who don't agree with you are just blind.

Bayhawks said:
Please produce those quotes, if you would not mind. I'd like to see them, and who made them.

With regards to NEs cheating reputation, there's obviously spygate & deflategate; then (since it seems NE fans insist on counting players busted for PEDs as team "cheats") there have been several Pats busted for PEDs (Spikes & Boldin for sure, probably others), playing with the injury report (isn't Brady on it almost every week?; saying Talib had a hip injury & I think it was a knee?), also Spikes was placed on IR as punishment for being late, which is against the rules. And, as others have posted, many people assume if they got caught for these things, there were other instances where they didn't get caught; of course that's just speculation. But, bottom line is that they've been caught cheating before, so people might say those who downplay it are just blind; just as you think there are NFL officials out get the Pats, and those who don't agree with you are just blind.
So just spygate then?

And just Google anything Mike Kensil has ever said about the Pats.

I was thinking about it today, and I was wondering if rather than a league against the Pats thing, it's just a good old fashioned feud between the Pats and the Jets. And the Jets just happen to have some former employees now holding pretty high spots in the league.

Lord knows there's a checkered history there. The "I quit" on the napkin thing, the Mangini thing...

I was thinking about it today, and I was wondering if rather than a league against the Pats thing, it's just a good old fashioned feud between the Pats and the Jets. And the Jets just happen to have some former employees now holding pretty high spots in the league.

Lord knows there's a checkered history there. The "I quit" on the napkin thing, the Mangini thing...
Its a multiple times cheating thing.

Bayhawks said:

So just spygate then?

And just Google anything Mike Kensil has ever said about the Pats.
No, not just spygate then. There's several others there. If you choose to ignore them, that's your prerogative; but they happened, and I identified them, as you requested.

I'm not doing the research. You were the one who claimed he could produce actual quotes from high level NFL execs showing some plot to get NE. I merely asked you to show the proof of these NFL execs plotting against NE, just as you asked for proof of NE's culture of cheating. I provided it (even if you have decided they don't count). Please do the same.

Just out of curiosity, would NE fans be upset if someone randomly inflated their game balls? Does that seem unfair or totally fine if it simply road the line of acceptable? Maybe NE should be forced to play out this season with the highest allowable PSI and just call it a day...

Just out of curiosity, would NE fans be upset if someone randomly inflated their game balls? Does that seem unfair or totally fine if it simply road the line of acceptable? Maybe NE should be forced to play out this season with the highest allowable PSI and just call it a day...
Like Aaron Rodgers?

Now that bayhawks has provided such a lengthy list, ive seen the light. Poof! Im a jay gruden fan! I hate my qb. There; i feel better now.

Btw, a federal judge has publicly said the NFL investigation was bogus and unfair.
not really.
Well, he never used the word "bogus". But the judge said he had trouble finding evidence that a deflation scheme happened in the AFC game. Which blows apart the NFL's position. :pickle:

"What is the evidence of a scheme or conspiracy that covers the Jan. 18 game? I'm having trouble finding it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/roger-goodell-greeted-boos-deflategate-hearing-article-1.2323018

The biggest mistake the Pats made was turning over the tape of McNally taking the balls into the bathroom. Bury that and the story dies on the vine once the actual PSIs are released.

Now that bayhawks has provided such a lengthy list, ive seen the light. Poof! Im a jay gruden fan! I hate my qb. There; i feel better now.
I'd guess I could say the same thing about the lengthy list of quotes of NFL execs who are out to get the Pats, but none has been provided.

If you were actually paying attention to the conversation I was having, you'd know that was the point. Run it up (and others, I'd imagine) believe that Kensil & other NFL execs hate/are jealous of NE and are out to "bring them down." He said anyone who can't see it is blind. My point was that many could say the same thing about the Pats and their reputation for cheating. That is, if Pats fans can't see it, they are blind.

There isn't any proof that Kensil is out to get the Pats; there are actions and emails that could be construed that way, but they aren't proof. Run it up said he could provide quotes, but when asked to do so, just said "google it." There is just as much proof (more even) that NE has a reputation as cheaters. Spygate and deflategate. BTW, the rest of that "lengthy list" did deserve ridicule: I got it from a ridiculous, unreliable website: yourteamcheats.com

That being said, the idea that NE's wins, SB victories, or dynasty is diminished by spygate, deflategate, or any cheating reputation is silly. IMO, spygate didn't give them a huge advantage, deflategate didn't give them a huge advantage, and any games they played with the injury reports, headsets, snowplows, DBs stretching the rules etc were no more egregious than what other NFL teams did/do. The difference is the arrogance of BB, the Pats, and Brady in these cases. Rather than just saying "we had cameras in the wrong places," or "I told the guys to make sure the balls were at the low end, they must have gone too far;" they puff their chests out, demand apologies, lie, land deny everything. That doesn't look good, and makes it easier for non-NE fans to say "they got what they deserved."

That already happened last season against the jets. Balls were at 16 psi

Let me guess --even tho Jets suck, it was a close game and TB was only around 50% ? No wonder ball guys got reemed.

Proof that the balls were 16psi? Oh, some text messages. So we're supposed to believe some of these text messages, but others we are supposed to dismiss right?

BTW, the texts said a few of them were almost 16, not that they all we at 16. (If we are supposed to believe those text messages.)

Btw, a federal judge has publicly said the NFL investigation was bogus and unfair.
not really.
Well, he never used the word "bogus". But the judge said he had trouble finding evidence that a deflation scheme happened in the AFC game. Which blows apart the NFL's position. :pickle:

"What is the evidence of a scheme or conspiracy that covers the Jan. 18 game? I'm having trouble finding it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/roger-goodell-greeted-boos-deflategate-hearing-article-1.2323018
The judge's main goal in a settlement conference is to get the sides to settle. He also asked why the ball boys would deflate the footballs without Brady's permission, and seemed skeptical that they would (and Kessler conceded same).

He's poking holes in both sides' cases to show them the risks in order to push them to settle. In fact, he's more likely to "attack" the side he thinks has the stronger case because they'd be more reluctant to settle.

Both sides would be wise to pump the breaks and not read too much into these hearings.

Its a multiple times cheating thing.
Belichick was the one busted for Spygate. That's 1 time breaking the rules. He was completely cleared in Deflategate.

Even if the judge rules vs. Brady, that would be 1 time breaking the rules for Brady. He had nothing to do with Spygate.

Maybe in your delusional mind, 1x = multiple times.

However, I can point to multiple times of false cheating accusations vs. the Patriots, just in the last year:

- Formation-gate (vs. Ravens). Patriots cleared by NFL

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12150444/2014-15-nfl-playoffs-league-says-new-england-patriots-substitutions-vs-baltimore-ravens-legal

- Waiver-gate (with Blount). Completely laughable that Patriots made 30 teams not claim Blount on waivers

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/questions-raised-about-blount-orchestrating-his-return-to-patriots/

- Kicking ball deflate-gate (vs. Ravens again). Patriots cleared by NFL because only refs handle kicking balls

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/17/fresh-deflategate-wrinkle-involves-special-teams-ball/

- Bug-gate (Colts sweeping for bugs). Funny how Colts checked for years, but found diddly-squat

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/21/report-colts-sweep-for-bugs-in-locker-room-when-at-gillette-stadium/

Why must every investigation have -gate attached to it? Does anyone else find this annoying?

Gotta give em credit, after Brady mouthed off about the rule book in Formation-gate, they succeeded in ruining the off season for the Pats fans and causing irreversible damage to the whole organization and one of the leagues best players.

Its "more probable than not" a revenge fed sting op that had to backtrack its way to a case that really just isn't there.

Gotta let some things slide. It ticks me off that "nucular" is in the Oxford dictionary. But, Eisenhower used it, W used it...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Deflategate: what a witch hunt, right? It's like we're all scandaloholics.

Max Stendahl ‏@MaxLaw360 29m29 minutes ago

Here's the full text of letter today by Brady's lawyer Jeff Kessler.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread