What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
As I said earlier, the NFL's handling of the case was laughable, and I do feel that football fans in general should be thankful that it's not being rewarded for it, since the same could happen to any other player - even if you really, really, really, really hate the Patriots.

No matter how you spin this, Goodell looks absolutely terrible and ridiculous here.

What a clown.

How long do the owners put up with his incompetency?
Agreed but keep in mind I doubt that Goddell would have pushed so hard if some, if not the majority, of NFL owners wanted this to be pushed forward. He is essentially the $40 million dollar shield for the billionaire owners. It can't be easy having 32 bosses to report to.

No matter how you spin this, Goodell looks absolutely terrible and ridiculous here.

What a clown.

:goodposting: With all the screws he has done over the handling of issues over the past 2 years ( Rice, Peterson, Brady.) It's time the owners got smart and said :bye: to the clown.

What a clown.

Agreed but keep in mind I doubt that Goddell would have pushed so hard if some, if not the majority, of NFL owners wanted this to be pushed forward. He is essentially the $40 million dollar shield for the billionaire owners. It can't be easy having 32 bosses to report to.
Yup…probably several of them not happy with the way he buried Spygate.

What a clown.

:goodposting:

It takes a special kind of commissioner to bungle things so badly that you can't even successfully punish a guy for on-the-field cheating.

So cheaters get to play, but weed smokers get suspended... what a ####in joke.
the NFLPA collectively bargained for weed smokers to be punished
They also voted to give Goodell total say in discipline and appeals but went to court to fight it in Brady's case.

If I am Bell, Blount, Bryant, Gordon, etc. I am asking why the NFLPA didn't go to court to fight their cases....

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree that weed smokers are over punished put me in the camp of not really caring what teams do to the footballs. All teams doctor them to some extent.

They also voted to give Goodell total say in discipline and appeals but went to court to fight it in Brady's case.

If I am Bell, Blount, Bryant, Gordon, etc. I am asking why the NFLPA didn't go to court to fight their cases....
Because the rules for their infractions are spelled out. There were no rules or penalties outlined for what Brady was suspended for (that and the league completely dropped the ball from Day One on how they handled things).

Great posting, actually. Why is Tommy special? And I'm not trying to discredit Brady, rather the process like GB above. Other NFL players who have been suspended have a real serious ax to grind here.

Goodell has total control, but federal labor laws still apply.

HE failed to give brady notice on the offense he could be fined for, failed to provide access to documents related to the report, and failed to provide an editor of the report as a witness at the appeal

Just like Goodell could not fine someone for being christian, or being black, he cannot violate federal labor laws.

I don't think the weed provision violates any labor laws, unless it is applied in some unjust manner. simply banning people for weed when they have notice that you will is fine

Last edited by a moderator:
They also voted to give Goodell total say in discipline and appeals but went to court to fight it in Brady's case.If I am Bell, Blount, Bryant, Gordon, etc. I am asking why the NFLPA didn't go to court to fight their cases....
Because the NFL followed actual procedures in those cases, not imagined rules with unusually harsh penalties that never existed until the media got involved.

Great posting, actually. Why is Tommy special? And I'm not trying to discredit Brady, rather the process like GB above. Other NFL players who have been suspended have a real serious ax to grind here.
You guys really struggling with the difference?

Peterson won his case against the NFL before Tom. At least in Tom's case they had literally no ####### evidence to suggest something happened at all.

they all have the same avenue of recourse should they have chosen to use it

The delicious irony of this ruling is that, after the NFL argued that Brady and the Pats failed to cooperate with the investigation, it was their refusal to provide access to Pash that got this thing overturned.

this is correct, there was/is a precedent for illegal substances and actual tangible proof.

Very different scenarios.

this is correct, there was/is a precedent for illegal substances and actual tangible proof.

Very different scenarios.
Who knows if the outcomes of their cases differ if they went through the same process as Brady's did.

What a clown.

It takes a special kind of commissioner to bungle things so badly that you can't even successfully punish a guy for on-the-field cheating.
It takes a special type of Salty Hater who ignores a federal judge saying that the NFL had no evidence of deflation for the AFC game.

As a fan, It would have been better, imo, if the ruling was made based on the evidence instead of procedure (due process, etc).

The judge saying that the evidence was / wasn't sufficient would've put this thing mostly to bed. Instead, we're left with something akin to Miranda rights not being given, and this thread will continue to get bumped from now until eternity.

I don't think the punishment was fair and I think Goodell's ego got in the way, but I also think the balls were doctored and I don't think Brady was completely unaware of it.

What a clown.

It takes a special type of Salty Hater who ignores a federal judge saying that the NFL had no evidence of deflation for the AFC game.
Spoken like a true ###. It's not about "no evidence" it's about Goodell over reaching with his punishment and going for the jugular. Don't get me wrong, I am mad that Brady gets to play when he cheated, and I feel he should still be suspended for likely a reduced sentence, but Goodell is the one that botched the whole thing up with no backbone and "evidence" from a "this is how cheating punishments are handled" point of view. Sure Pat's fans are happy to have him back.

As a fan, It would have been better, imo, if the ruling was made based on the evidence instead of procedure (due process, etc).

The judge saying that the evidence was / wasn't sufficient would've put this thing mostly to bed. Instead, we're left with something akin to Miranda rights not being given, and this thread will continue to get bumped from now until eternity.

I don't think the punishment was fair and I think Goodell's ego got in the way, but I also think the balls were doctored and I don't think Brady was completely unaware of it.
one of the judge's points was that the nfl has never declared a right to punish someone for being generally aware of other people's misconduct.

the judge had to rule on procedure, though, that was all he was allowed to rule on

as others have said his questions give a pretty good indication of what he nthought about the evidence

Users who are viewing this thread