What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you for or against taking in Syrian refugees? (1 Viewer)

Are you for/against taking in refugees?

• For

Votes: 247 52.0%
  • Against

Votes: 228 48.0%

• Total voters
Not a yes or no question for me.

In general, absolutely we should accept refugees.

As we do, we need to screen them to make sure we are not accepting in people who would seek to do us harm. Even the best of the best vetting programs in ideal conditions will fail. Look at people like Nidal Hasan (Ft Hood shooter- US Army), Bradley Manning (Wikileaks- US Army), and Edward Snowden (Intelligence leaked- NSA) to name a few high profile. A vetting program for Syrian refugees has no data bases that would provide much needed data other than if the person already is on the CIA or FBI radars and we can not interview or investigate in the war torn area. The vetting process is flawed to begin with. Officials in the Obama Administration have given various warnings before all of this saying as much. We already have cases of arrests made in the US accused of plots in the name of Daesh and or other jihadist movements. So, the idea that refugees may pose a threat is not an unthinkable occurrence. So, how many can we properly screen? Not many I would think.

I also have issue with having read reports that Iraqi Christians have been denied visas. I am at a loss to explain that. The people that at most under threat and they are not allowed to come in under this administration? It does not add up.

I think we do need to accept refugees but not at the expense of common sense. The threat is not made up or imagined. The threat is real. We have to act accordingly.
we cannot actually want to consider one's religion when considering if they can come to this country. That's about as clearly unconstitutional as I can think of.
Like you really believe that is the reason. I know you are not this stupid so I can only assume you are :fishing:

Obama with his way to get around the Constitution executive actions only cares about the Constitution when it suits his needs, much like most Liberals.

As we do, we need to screen them to make sure we are not accepting in people who would seek to do us harm. Even the best of the best vetting programs in ideal conditions will fail. Look at people like Nidal Hasan (Ft Hood shooter- US Army), Bradley Manning (Wikileaks- US Army), and Edward Snowden (Intelligence leaked- NSA) to name a few high profile. A vetting program for Syrian refugees has no data bases that would provide much needed data other than if the person already is on the CIA or FBI radars and we can not interview or investigate in the war torn area. The vetting process is flawed to begin with. Officials in the Obama Administration have given various warnings before all of this saying as much. We already have cases of arrests made in the US accused of plots in the name of Daesh and or other jihadist movements. So, the idea that refugees may pose a threat is not an unthinkable occurrence. So, how many can we properly screen? Not many I would think.

I also have issue with having read reports that Iraqi Christians have been denied visas. I am at a loss to explain that. The people that at most under threat and they are not allowed to come in under this administration? It does not add up.

I think we do need to accept refugees but not at the expense of common sense. The threat is not made up or imagined. The threat is real. We have to act accordingly.
we cannot actually want to consider one's religion when considering if they can come to this country. That's about as clearly unconstitutional as I can think of.
Not directly- no. I don't care if a refugee is Muslim or Christian but I do care about if they are potentially a threat or not. An Iraqi Muslim- maybe. An Iraqi Christian? Nope. My understanding is that these Iraqi's (where we have access to information from years of us being there and collecting data) were sponsored and had everything in place but were still denied. Why? Further, refugee status is often given due to the potential of the refugee being under threat of harm. You know what happens if you are Christian and Daesh comes to town? They offer you the chance to renounce your faith, send your daughters to the jihadists as brides and send your sons to fight for Daesh or die. No other options.

Not to hijack, but given the way this administration turned it's back on the Iranian Green Movement (and their complete refusal to acknowledge the outright slaughter of Christians in Africa) it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

taken from your link

A student group started protesting earlier this semester, after a group of white people allegedly yelled racial slurs at a student body leader and a stastika was drawn in feces in a campus bathroom. Above, some Missouri protesters assembled on the school's quad on November 9
I'd be pissed too, if I knew what it was.

Like you really believe that is the reason. I know you are not this stupid so I can only assume you are :fishing:

Obama with his way to get around the Constitution executive actions only cares about the Constitution when it suits his needs, much like most Liberals.
Daaaaaaaamn!

Gotta respect the way Grandpa Rox's posts maintain an ever-so-slight resemblance to actual things that some people think and say. It's just enough to make you wonder for just a moment if he might actually believe this stuff. Eminence could learn a thing or two from his elder.

Yeah let Obama take them in.

"All of Europe should now be opposed to the migrants," said Cristian Albu, a legal expert in Romania. "We have to prevent what happened in Paris happening elsewhere."

Even some of the migrants themselves are worried about the security gaps that have come with the largest movement of refugees across European borders since World War II. Some say they fear that the same Islamic State extremists they are fleeing will infiltrate the masses of migrants, carry out more attacks and create greater distrust of legitimate asylum-seekers.

"Europe made a big mistake. They should not allow all the people," said Emile Tarabeh, a customs officer from Syria at a migrant center in Presevo, Serbia, who is hoping to reach Sweden.
Well, I'm sold.
Well this is just the start. I would listen more to the people involved a whole lot more than anyone on this board or anyone in this Administration.

taken from your link
A student group started protesting earlier this semester, after a group of white people allegedly yelled racial slurs at a student body leader and a stastika was drawn in feces in a campus bathroom. Above, some Missouri protesters assembled on the school's quad on November 9
I'd be pissed too, if I knew what it was.
I have been looking for the picture on Twitter...

I guess for Grandpa and others, we should probably discuss how refugees are re-settled.

The federal government can't conscript state governments into its refugee/relocation plans, so instead it works with local charities - often Catholic Charities because they do a huge amount of immigration work. The feds give a one-time assistance payment of about $1000 to help the family get set up. Catholic Charities (or whatever organization) keeps them in a halfway house (usually owned or long-term rented by the organization) until an apartment is found, rented, and furnished/stocked by volunteers and the family goes out and gets jobs in order to support themselves. Then they move in. Then you almost never hear about them being refugees until someone writes a feel-good piece about them.

Look through that whole thing and let me know where the part is that they should stay inside some random person's house.
So, donate a few $ k to Catholic charities, then?

I don't think we should allow any Christians to come in. Only Muslims. Also gays and Mexicans.

In fact, gay Muslim Mexicans would be perfect. Juan "Disco" Muhammad- guys like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

"All of Europe should now be opposed to the migrants," said Cristian Albu, a legal expert in Romania. "We have to prevent what happened in Paris happening elsewhere."

Even some of the migrants themselves are worried about the security gaps that have come with the largest movement of refugees across European borders since World War II. Some say they fear that the same Islamic State extremists they are fleeing will infiltrate the masses of migrants, carry out more attacks and create greater distrust of legitimate asylum-seekers.

"Europe made a big mistake. They should not allow all the people," said Emile Tarabeh, a customs officer from Syria at a migrant center in Presevo, Serbia, who is hoping to reach Sweden.
Well, I'm sold.
Well this is just the start. I would listen more to the people involved a whole lot more than anyone on this board or anyone in this Administration.
Of course you would.

Not to hijack, but given the way this administration turned it's back on the Iranian Green Movement (and their complete refusal to acknowledge the outright slaughter of Christians in Africa) it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
This administration seems to like to turn their eyes, whistle a tune and walk a little faster down the road and hopefully everything works out.

the worst part of this all is that i used to like einstien and now i just think he is a huge racist zeonphobe that is not cool bromigos take that to the bank

Speaking of local approaches, this guy in Roanoke, VA is amazing. Standard "no refugees for us!" line, but then he takes it up a notch by seeming to cite with approval the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII.
Nothing new there. Right after 9/11 Michele Malkin wrote a book called "In Defense of Internment" in which she not only justified what was done to the Nisei but suggested we might have to do it again for Muslims. It's still available on her website.

So what if ISIS pulls off something in New York?
I think we have to assume they will. It's only a matter of time.

Of course, Al-Queda already did, and none of those guys used the refugee path to enter this country, so not really sure how it's related.

Well, I'm sold.
Of course you would.
So if you were trying to become a great pitcher you would listen to the advice of the people on this board and the Administration over Sonny Grey, Dallas Keuchel, David Price or Clayton Kershaw. Nice to ignore the very people living it. :thumbup:

Well, I'm sold.
Of course you would.
So if you were trying to become a great pitcher you would listen to the advice of the people on this board and the Administration over Sonny Grey, Dallas Keuchel, David Price or Clayton Kershaw. Nice to ignore the very people living it. :thumbup:
wtf

Listen... we are reliving history.

1993- First WTC Bombing

1995- Bombing US HQ in Riyadh

1996- Bombing Khobar Towers in Riyadh

1998- Embassy bombings (plural)

2000- USS Cole bombing

2000- Bombing plaza US Embassy in Manila

9-11

And a whole crap load of foiled plots.

What was the reaction of all of those before 9-11? See what we are doing now. Almost exactly.

Speaking of local approaches, this guy in Roanoke, VA is amazing. Standard "no refugees for us!" line, but then he takes it up a notch by seeming to cite with approval the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII.
Nothing new there. Right after 9/11 Michele Malkin wrote a book called "In Defense of Internment" in which she not only justified what was done to the Nisei but suggested we might have to do it again for Muslims. It's still available on her website.
Except the Roanoke mayor is a Democrat. Stupidity knows no party lines.

Ironic that the guy GrandpaRox features on his avatar was the most famous refugee in our history. Albert spent much of his time here pleading with the US government to take in more refugees. He would be horrified and disgusted that his photo was being used in connection with a position he would consider to be reprehensible.

Well, I'm sold.
Of course you would.
Go Royals

1993- First WTC Bombing

2000- USS Cole bombing

9-11

What was the reaction of all of those before 9-11? See what we are doing now. Almost exactly.
Wait...those acts were all committed by refugees?

1993- First WTC Bombing

2000- USS Cole bombing

9-11

Was not referring to refugees in that post.

Nah no way this would EVER happen:

Police in Honduras caught five Syrians who were trying to make their way to the United States with stolen and doctored passports, a police spokesman in Tegucigalpa told Reuters Wednesday.
Lisa Daftari@LisaDaftari 2h2 hours ago
Breaking: 5 Syrians arrested at airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, attempting to enter the US w/stolen Greek passports, according to police.
Wow. Fifteen in one day is a lot.

Ironic that the guy GrandpaRox features on his avatar was the most famous refugee in our history. Albert spent much of his time here pleading with the US government to take in more refugees. He would be horrified and disgusted that his photo was being used in connection with a position he would consider to be reprehensible.
I think he'd MAYBE give it an eyeroll if he even thought of it at all. Take a breath, Tim.

1993- First WTC Bombing

2000- USS Cole bombing

9-11

Was not referring to refugees in that post.
Groovy.

Police in Honduras caught five Syrians who were trying to make their way to the United States with stolen and doctored passports, a police spokesman in Tegucigalpa told Reuters Wednesday.

Breaking: 5 Syrians arrested at airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, attempting to enter the US w/stolen Greek passports, according to police.
It is up to about 45 now.

I knew he looked familiar somehow.

The human race is horrified and disgusted at 90,1% of your postings. Only .4% agree with them. :thumbup:

i just aided myself to a hostess cherry pie they are the best and i am not a refugee so no one is going to cut me off when i go in for sweet lady hostess numero dos take that to the bank bromigos

Lisa Daftari ‏@LisaDaftari 2h2 hours ago

It is up to about 45 now.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/18/us-france-shooting-honduras-idUSKCN0T72UE20151118#EBp1J7OlAM15t2os.97

50! ZOMG!

I knew he looked familiar somehow.The human race is horrified and disgusted at 90,1% of your postings. Only .4% agree with them. :thumbup:
Well look at you coming out of nowhere and trolling like a pro. Good stuff. I may need to cut and paste some of your stuff for other threads if that's okay.

It took 8 to bring down France in a few hours. It took less than 15 to take down both towers on 911.

Your premise is ludicrous, please stop while you are behind.

Not to mention distasteful and irreverent.

Last edited by a moderator:

It took 8 to bring down France in a few hours. It took less than 15 to take down both towers on 911.

Your premise is ludicrous, please stop while you are behind.

Not to mention distasteful and irreverent.
Which premise is ludicrous, distasteful and irreverant?

Voted for, but I can understand the argument against.

What I don't understand is if what happened in Paris suddenly changed your answer.

If we screen them extensively before consideration, yes.

If we pull a EU and allow in anyone who claims to be Syrian, no.

Users who are viewing this thread