What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

best NFL player with a single digit jersey (1 Viewer)

9 brees ...still playing is why (current) said nothing about past and future...so assuming now as in right now. past is a total mess of bickering and trolling. :oldunsure:

Sorry to hijack thread OP, but this could be fun.. SP's best NFL players by Uniform # (single digit edition)

0 - (old school number?)

1 - Warren Moon/Cam Newton

2 - Matt Ryan

3 - Bronko Nagurski

4 - Brett Favre

5 - Paul Hornung/Donovan McNabb

6 - Jay Cutler :excited:

7 - John Elway

8 - Steve Young/..../Ray Guy

9 - Drew Brees

It's an interesting list, Bronko & Hornung only non-QBs on list as well as only pre SB era players. Please quote/add/discuss/distill

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hijack thread OP, but this could be fun.. SP's best NFL players by Uniform # (single digit edition)

0 - (old school number?)

2 - Matt Ryan

3 - Bronko Nagurski

4 - Brett Favre

7 - John Elway

9 - Drew Brees

It's an interesting list, Bronko & Hornung only non-QBs on list as well as only pre SB era players. Please quote/add/discuss/distill
0- Johnny Clement1- Warren Moon

2- Charley Trippi

3- Bronko Nagurski

4- Brett Favre

5- George McAfee

6- Steve Owen

7- John Elway

8- Steve Young

9- Drew Brees

Last edited by a moderator:

0 - (old school number?)

2 - Matt Ryan

3 - Bronko Nagurski

4 - Brett Favre

7 - John Elway

9 - Drew Brees

00- Robert Parish

0- Johnny Clement

1- Warren Moon

2- Charley Trippi

3- Bronko Nagurski

4- Brett Favre

5- George McAfee

6- Steve Owen

7- John Elway

8- Steve Young

9- Drew Brees
Fixed.

0 - (old school number?)

2 - Matt Ryan

3 - Bronko Nagurski

4 - Brett Favre

7 - John Elway

9 - Drew Brees

00- Robert Parish0- Johnny Clement

1- Warren Moon

2- Charley Trippi

3- Bronko Nagurski

4- Brett Favre

5- George McAfee

6- Steve Owen

7- John Elway

8- Steve Young

9- Drew Brees
Fixed.
Parish didn't play in the NFL.00 is not a single digit number.

The best 00 player was Jim Otto.

0 - (old school number?)

2 - Matt Ryan

3 - Bronko Nagurski

4 - Brett Favre

7 - John Elway

9 - Drew Brees

Putting McNabb alongside Hornung is laughable. Like placing Walter Payton next to Kirk Cousins.

Rather a shame that Randall Cunningham won't make the list because his Philly jersey #12 will keep him behind Brady, and his Vikes #7 behind Elway.

0 - (old school number?)

2 - Matt Ryan

3 - Bronko Nagurski

4 - Brett Favre

7 - John Elway

9 - Drew Brees

00- Robert Parish0- Johnny Clement

1- Warren Moon

2- Charley Trippi

3- Bronko Nagurski

4- Brett Favre

5- George McAfee

6- Steve Owen

7- John Elway

8- Steve Young

9- Drew Brees
Fixed.
Parish didn't play in the NFL.00 is not a single digit number.

The best 00 player was Jim Otto.
0 - George "Paper Lion" Plimpton

Brady

Bradshaw

Cunningham

Griese

Kelly

Namath

Rodgers

Stabler

Staubach

SIDEBAR - James Harris or Doug Williams?

Think I'd have to go with John James here - 3 time Pro Bowl Punter. Or Rolf Benirschke? Pretty underwhelming collection wearing number 6.

Putting McNabb alongside Hornung is laughable. Like placing Walter Payton next to Kirk Cousins.
Never saw him play, but comparing Hornung to Payton is the laughable offense here.

Think I'd have to go with John James here - 3 time Pro Bowl Punter. Or Rolf Benirschke? Pretty underwhelming collection wearing number 6.
Cutler was partly in jest, but I couldn't come up with anyone else.

Never had heard of either before this thread, a little before time and also kickers. I don't think I give kickers credit.

Chaka said:

0 - (old school number?)
00 - Jim Otto
No doubt...then again apparently there was only one other player to wear 00. Ken Burrough
Steve Bagarus also may have worn 00. I can possibly confirm via film as I do have 1946 Redskins action.
Possibly. The Pro-Football-Reference data only goes back to 1950.

But Otto was the best 00 without question. He was one of the best centers ever to play at any jersey number.

Thanks for this link, fun to play with

way off topic

I wore #43 in every sport growing up - 2 years of junior high basketball, throughout my h.s. baseball/football career. I rarely told anyone why, but my first favorite player was Larry Brown. It's odd because I have always been only a Detroit fan, but I remember reading about him when I was around 8 and was just blown away he overcame so much.

Lightly recruited, JuCo transfer, blocking back in college, drafted in the 8th round. Vince Lombardi noticed he was often late on the snap count, had him tested, and found out he was deaf in one ear. With permission from the commissioner's office, they outfitted his helmet with a special earpiece linked to a mic in the QB's helmet. When he had a couple fumbles in practice during TC, he started carrying a football everywhere he went, 24/7. Made four Pro Bowls and All-Pro twice in his first 4 years.

/hijack

Chaka said:

0 - (old school number?)
00 - Jim Otto
No doubt...then again apparently there was only one other player to wear 00. Ken Burrough
Steve Bagarus also may have worn 00. I can possibly confirm via film as I do have 1946 Redskins action.
Possibly. The Pro-Football-Reference data only goes back to 1950.But Otto was the best 00 without question. He was one of the best centers ever to play at any jersey number.
Oh, if we are ranking the top 00s, then, no doubt Otto is #1. Ken Burrough would be #2 because he was productive and had a long career. Bagarus had a shorter career and was pretty good.

Thanks for this link, fun to play with

way off topic

I wore #43 in every sport growing up - 2 years of junior high basketball, throughout my h.s. baseball/football career. I rarely told anyone why, but my first favorite player was Larry Brown. It's odd because I have always been only a Detroit fan, but I remember reading about him when I was around 8 and was just blown away he overcame so much.

Lightly recruited, JuCo transfer, blocking back in college, drafted in the 8th round. Vince Lombardi noticed he was often late on the snap count, had him tested, and found out he was deaf in one ear. With permission from the commissioner's office, they outfitted his helmet with a special earpiece linked to a mic in the QB's helmet. When he had a couple fumbles in practice during TC, he started carrying a football everywhere he went, 24/7. Made four Pro Bowls and All-Pro twice in his first 4 years.

/hijack
Brown was also the league MVP in 1972. I have several of his trading cards. He is a good player to watch on film.

Users who are viewing this thread