What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** Official Westworld Thread ***** (1 Viewer)

Or if the Jeffrey Wright scenes are "Arnold" and not Bernard and the debriefings are from the earlier timelines. 

I admit that the last two weeks have made it more difficult to reconcile that theory (but not, IMO, impossible).  But I can't reconcile the Bernard/Delores "debriefing" scene into a single timeline.  She was with William et al the entire episode.  When did Bernard have time to pull her in to be debriefed?

Something I saw elsewhere was a theory that when Bernard is "meeting" with Delores, he was doing so in her mind - which would explain why she is always wearing the blue dress, while the other hosts that are being interrogated are naked.

Of course it could be as simple as Evan Rachel Wood having a no-nudity clause in her contract :shrug:

Something I saw elsewhere was a theory that when Bernard is "meeting" with Delores, he was doing so in her mind - which would explain why she is always wearing the blue dress, while the other hosts that are being interrogated are naked.

Of course it could be as simple as Evan Rachel Wood having a no-nudity clause in her contract :shrug:
Well except for that whole being naked eps 1

That would fit with the show's emphasis on the bicameral mind. 

I was so looking forward to this show...so disappointed 

Does this show see a season 2. ?.....or cancel this now.

The Buzz is gone, it's all over the place.

The Walking Dead 17 Million viewers....Westworld 1.7 Million

I'm not drinking the J.J. Abrams Kool-aid.

Next.

Fantastic episode

So who is the boy that was sent to fetch water?  Ford's avatar of himself as a youngster?

So do they find Lawrence in the tree and get him back in fast, or are we on 2 timelines?

if ford didnt want mib to find the maze, he could stop him. So why doesnt he?

Flip over to E! next Sunday. The Kardashians are on at the same time.
It's also at the same time as Shameless. Which I enjoy (not nearly as much as WW), but is about the total opposite on the spectrum, regardless of your preference. 

So do they find Lawrence in the tree and get him back in fast, or are we on 2 timelines?

I really wouldn't get caught up too much in the timelines. Much like the travel stuff in GOT, just roll with it. My assumption is that the MIB stuff is happening in a different time than Delores and her current adventure. Not like 30 years different, but maybe just a few days to a week even. Until McPoyle and MIB are on screen at the same time, I think it's safe to assume that it's not happening concurrently. 

I do think it was interesting how it ended on the train - "Call me Lawrence", which of course is how the MIB refers to him instead of El Lazo.  That kind of suggested a link to MIB to me... need to go back and watch when MIB saved Lawrence from the hanging.

Yeah, I'm really confused and I don't like it. 

Previews also showed some additional wtf material. 

Just seems sort of silly knowing that I'm going to watch 9 hours of #### I don't understand just so they can pull the curtain back in the finale and smugly reveal what was going on.

Yeah, I'm really confused and I don't like it. 

Previews also showed some additional wtf material. 

Just seems sort of silly knowing that I'm going to watch 9 hours of #### I don't understand just so they can pull the curtain back in the finale and smugly reveal what was going on.
The guy helped create Memento.  That's pretty much what Memento was and it was incredible. 

Im ok with not knowing everything as long as there is an answer. Just don't string me along without an endgame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't think William and MiB are the same guy but apparently the knife they're using is identical.

I DO think that we're seeing two time periods, roughly 30 years apart.  Maybe 3 (that is more of a pet theory of mine I'll put in spoilers).

ETA: I enjoy the mystery and the guessing and not knowing.  But hey, even if that's not your cup of tea, you've got to give it up for epic robot orgies like last night's.  Holy cow.

Present Time: MiB story line, Wyatt story, etc

Present - 30: William story line

Present - 35ish: If Bernard is Arnold's robot clone (I think he is), then the scenes with Bernard and Delores having late night clandestine meetings are actually Arnold and Delores meet ups)

Is this the first show in history using robots as actors?   

The Actors Guild can't be too happy

ETA: I enjoy the mystery and the guessing and not knowing.  But hey, even if that's not your cup of tea, you've got to give it up for epic robot orgies like last night's.  Holy cow.

Present Time: MiB story line, Wyatt story, etc

Present - 30: William story line

Present - 35ish: If Bernard is Arnold's robot clone (I think he is), then the scenes with Bernard and Delores having late night clandestine meetings are actually Arnold and Delores meet ups)
I don't mind the "not knowing" at all as long as I am enjoying myself watching it.  There's something intriguing about this show that keeps me hooked without having to try to figure out every detail.

Also, epic robot orgies set to perhaps the most sullen, forlorn song in the history of modern music.  Such an odd choice.

Don't think they can answer too much at one time, because that mystery is the show. 

I think we are learning at just the right pace. 
Don't get me wrong, I love this show. I meant getting one more mystery after the other until there is all just different mindhumps.

the mystery of the show is what I like.   I don't need to know the answers.   I can always go back and binge watch the entire season to pick up on stuff i missed after i "know" the story better.

:shrug:   I don't see what is so difficult.  Every episode has brought more clues to see the entire picture.  The season is one long story arc, so of course they are not going to give away the story in a single episode.

I thought this last episode went along way towards explaining how MIB is involved with the park.  We learned a bit more about Ford's and Arnold's relationship - as much rivals as partners.  We learned that Arnold created Delores - which suggests why she might be different and why she holds the key to the mystery.

:shrug:   I don't see what is so difficult.  Every episode has brought more clues to see the entire picture.  The season is one long story arc, so of course they are not going to give away the story in a single episode.

I thought this last episode went along way towards explaining how MIB is involved with the park.  We learned a bit more about Ford's and Arnold's relationship - as much rivals as partners.  We learned that Arnold created Delores - which suggests why she might be different and why she holds the key to the mystery.
I've gotten into this in about 3-4 different TV threads.  Some people want to see the puzzle solved and THEN see how the pieces fit into place.  A lot of people don't want to just sit back, suspend disbelief, and watch with the faith that ultimately it will all make sense.  They need to theorize about everything and put every detail under a microscope determine whether or not they're : a) realistic and b) an important part of the overall narrative.

I'm not knocking this, even if it sounds like it.  To each his own - that's just not the way I watch TV.  I spend all day Mon-Fri analyzing every GD thing that comes along, on Saturday and Sunday, I prefer to just be entertained without having to deconstruct a program.

Leeroy Jenkins said:

I dont think there's two timelines. Seems plausible that they cleaned up Lawrence after Ed Harris killed him, and put him back at the beginning of his storyline overnight. That seems to be the MO from what we've seen. 

I've gotten into this in about 3-4 different TV threads.  Some people want to see the puzzle solved and THEN see how the pieces fit into place.  A lot of people don't want to just sit back, suspend disbelief, and watch with the faith that ultimately it will all make sense.  They need to theorize about everything and put every detail under a microscope determine whether or not they're : a) realistic and b) an important part of the overall narrative.

I'm not knocking this, even if it sounds like it.  To each his own - that's just not the way I watch TV.  I spend all day Mon-Fri analyzing every GD thing that comes along, on Saturday and Sunday, I prefer to just be entertained without having to deconstruct a program.
I genuinely prefer shows that you have to think about. Obviously being entertained is priority # 1, but there needs to be some depth most of the time (I have other shows that I watch just for pure pretty colors and shiny objects type of entertainment) When I watch Game of Thrones (for example) I'm more interested in thinking about the end game for the various characters, their motivations, the connections between them, logical paths for their stories (both short and long term) etc. (As opposed to just geeking out on the Dragons or the cool fight scenes or the nudity, although all of that adds to the show as well)  And the way they work the narrative (even going back to the first season) allows you to watch the show that way.

When I watch Westworld, I just have no idea what to think. You don't know if you're watching past or present. You don't know if you're watching something that happens chronologically after the last thing you saw. Hell, you don't even know if the characters are human or not. We can understand a little bit about the motivations for a couple of the characters (Mulva, Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris) but it just seems like there's a lot of holes. Do we really care about any of the characters at this point? Is there anyone to root for? Doesn't seem like it to me.  Who is the protagonist of the show? Maybe by the end of the season, something will be revealed that will show us that we should have been rooting for Ed Harris the entire time. and if that's where they're going, fine. But if we don't get there until minute 47 of episode 10, I'll feel like they just dragged us along drunk and blind for the ride without anything to attach ourselves to.

And sure, that sort of strategy may leave us with some great Monday after "OH MY GOD!!!" talk, but I'd rather have 10 weeks of :excited: than 9 weeks of :loco: followed by 10 minutes of :shock: .

I guess one of the reasons I like it, and perhaps why it is not for everyone, is that every single scene could be important.  There is no real down time to the show if you are trying to find the big picture.  I have watched the first 4 episodes at least twice, without ever thinking it was redundant watching it a second time.  I learn something in one episode, and I want to go back to see how it relates to something I thought I saw or heard in a previous episode.

honestly I would not have thought about timelines until this thread.

I just assumed most of the stuff was just a general flashback

honestly I would have thought about timelines until this thread.

I just assumed most of the stuff was just a general flashback
The convoluted theories people are posting are interesting, but I haven't seen any reason not to take it at face value so far. 

The convoluted theories people are posting are interesting, but I haven't seen any reason not to take it at face value so far. 
:lol:   I am the opposite - I don't take anything this show gives us at face value.

Just because I am paranoid, does not mean the show is not trying to #### with the audience.

belljr said:
Is this the first show in history using robots as actors?   

The Actors Guild can't be too happy
Random thought:  when the robots get nekkid in the lab, I think to myself oh it's just a robot and not a human.  Kind of like seeing a mannequin bare.  I need to snap myself out of this thinking.  It's ruining the :pickle:  factor

:lol:   I am the opposite - I don't take anything this show gives us at face value.

Just because I am paranoid, does not mean the show is not trying to #### with the audience.
You certainly can go down a ton of rabbit holes if you want to.  They are doing a great job with it so far.  It's entirely immersive.

I genuinely prefer shows that you have to think about. Obviously being entertained is priority # 1, but there needs to be some depth most of the time (I have other shows that I watch just for pure pretty colors and shiny objects type of entertainment) When I watch Game of Thrones (for example) I'm more interested in thinking about the end game for the various characters, their motivations, the connections between them, logical paths for their stories (both short and long term) etc. (As opposed to just geeking out on the Dragons or the cool fight scenes or the nudity, although all of that adds to the show as well)  And the way they work the narrative (even going back to the first season) allows you to watch the show that way.

When I watch Westworld, I just have no idea what to think. You don't know if you're watching past or present. You don't know if you're watching something that happens chronologically after the last thing you saw. Hell, you don't even know if the characters are human or not. We can understand a little bit about the motivations for a couple of the characters (Mulva, Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris) but it just seems like there's a lot of holes. Do we really care about any of the characters at this point? Is there anyone to root for? Doesn't seem like it to me.  Who is the protagonist of the show? Maybe by the end of the season, something will be revealed that will show us that we should have been rooting for Ed Harris the entire time. and if that's where they're going, fine. But if we don't get there until minute 47 of episode 10, I'll feel like they just dragged us along drunk and blind for the ride without anything to attach ourselves to.

And sure, that sort of strategy may leave us with some great Monday after "OH MY GOD!!!" talk, but I'd rather have 10 weeks of :excited: than 9 weeks of :loco: followed by 10 minutes of :shock: .
Well said!

Who is the protagonist of the show? Maybe by the end of the season, something will be revealed that will show us that we should have been rooting for Ed Harris the entire time. and if that's where they're going, fine. But if we don't get there until minute 47 of episode 10, I'll feel like they just dragged us along drunk and blind for the ride without anything to attach ourselves to.
Pretty sure Ed Harris is the good guy here.

I am rooting for:

1. Ed Harris/MIB
  2. Delores
  3. Willam
  4. Maeve
  5. Lesbian Programmer
  6. Arnold/Bernard

Still no on the multiple (especially -30) timelines.  Deloris talking to herself (Arnold), solving the maze and bringing along the nitro has to coincide with MIB finding and solving the maze imo.  Arnold wanted to destroy Westworld (Nitro), MIB wants to reveal the secrets (background not fully revealed yet) and Ford just wants to play God (his end game plan with Deloris and MIB not fully revealed yet).

GF mentioned to me last night that the old coot that plays the piano and talks with Ford in his office looks and sounds an awful lot like Ed Harris.

Users who are viewing this thread