What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (2 Viewers)

I'm hoping the Denver game drives the price even lower.
It's a tricky spot. I think it's easier to buy now as an owner will look to miss out taking a hit on that game. 

Like a stock, all public information is already baked into the price. So IMO, paradoxically, even if Cooper goes 1/10 this week, his value is lower pre-Denver than post-Denver because everyone assumed he'd do nothing and now that game is out of the way. 

Conversely, if he goes 70/2, you'll never get him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought him low in redraft PPR.  Traded Doug Martin and Martavis Bryant, neither of which I trust in that format. Trying to buy everywhere. 

Coleman plus a 1st for Cooper is an insta-reject by the Cooper owners in my leagues. Been trying to move him for some help now, but no one is interested unless i am willing to give him away for peanuts

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Wondering if Crabs not playing helps or hurts Coop. On one hand, just more targets and opportunity. On the other, more defensive focus.
I have my answer. Dammit. 

Cooper is an early season leader for Bust of the Year isn't he? Currently ranked about WR50 / drafted around WR8.
I think he cemented himself as all season bust leader at this point.

One catch in 6 quarters.

Man so much for thinking it couldn't get worse, can't believe I plugged him in last minute thinking he could bounce back. 

I think you are stuck holding him on your bench and hope he catches fire around playoff time. 
Worked out great for Hopkins and Marshall owners last year.

To be fair, Tate went from dropped to must start last year so we can't totally write him off but 3 catches for 15 yards over the last 2 weeks is puzzling.

Worked out great for Hopkins and Marshall owners last year.

To be fair, Tate went from dropped to must start last year so we can't totally write him off but 3 catches for 15 yards over the last 2 weeks is puzzling.
Who are you going to drop him or trade him for?  :popcorn:

Who are you going to drop him or trade him for?  :popcorn:
Don't own him but am speculating and trying to see what the Cooper owners are thinking. For a very very low price, I would trade for him. 

If I did own, I would consider Doctson, Jaron Brown or John Brown or whatever RB is out there that might be a new thing.

The Raiders whole offense has been out of wack for the last 2 weeks. Lynch hasn't been what they expected for the most part, and the run game isn't scaring anyone. Cooper will improve when the offense gets back into a groove. I don't own Cooper in any leagues but would certainly give up John Brown plus much more to plop him on my bench and wait for the Raiders O to get back into it's flow. Really amazing how quickly some will panic.

The Raiders whole offense has been out of wack for the last 2 weeks. Lynch hasn't been what they expected for the most part, and the run game isn't scaring anyone. Cooper will improve when the offense gets back into a groove. I don't own Cooper in any leagues but would certainly give up John Brown plus much more to plop him on my bench and wait for the Raiders O to get back into it's flow. Really amazing how quickly some will panic.
I agree but how long do you give him?

In dynasty maybe, but in redraft we're basically 1/3rd of the way through the regular season now.  How long do you wait to panic?

Guess when Cooper last had 80 yards receiving.

Guess when Cooper last had 80 yards receiving.
Yeah, week 8 of last year. I'm not arguing that Cooper hasn't been what was expected. I'm a Crabtree backer and have thought for the last few seasons he was the definite value play. Just saying, after week 2 Cooper was WR20 in my league. After 2 weeks where the offense has sucked it doesn't make sense to trade him for Doctson, John or Jauron Brown, etc. Cooper never was a top 10 WR to me, but I still expect him to end up a WR2 with some upside.

Anyone considering dropping him is a moron. Things change quickly in the NFL.

Considering that people ARE thinking of dropping him, I'd put out feelers for buy low trades. If I can get Cooper for somebody that is a borderline drop and he can act as a Flex...fantastic.

All that said, the thing that disturbs me the most about Cooper's play is how he actually looks out there. For example, the pick that ended the game yesterday. It's as if he has no clue on how to use his body and get in the right position to make a play. I've seen this on other routes he's run the last couple of weeks. It's like he has suddenly lost complete feel for the position.

In the league I have him, he's solidly on the bench for now. It makes roster management a tad more difficult without doubt.

I haven't had much opportunity to see Cooper during his career, but I did see most of the game yesterday and a game last year.  I am left being unimpressed.  He doesn't seem to play with urgency, desire, "my ball" mentality. 

I see that Simmons (Broncos) is 6'2" and Cooper is 6'1".  And I know that Simmons was coming back to the ball with a head of steam.  But Cooper had to know the ball was inbound and Simmons went way above Cooper to snag it.  An elite wr at 6'1" would have at least gotten a hand on that ball to break up the interception, right?

Edit to add: In the game I saw last year, he actually had several  redzone looks in the endzone. Each one was easily broken up. Meanwhile, Crabtree caught 2 (I believe) tds.  It left me wondering, WHY were Cooper's looks so easily defensed.  I am not a talented at viewing/analyzing, but I definitely came away thinking that either the plays being called for Cooper are horrible or...Cooper is not running good routes to create the space for the pass. More and more, I come to the conclusion that the issue is Cooper and not the play calling.

I haven't had much opportunity to see Cooper during his career, but I did see most of the game yesterday and a game last year.  I am left being unimpressed.  He doesn't seem to play with urgency, desire, "my ball" mentality. 

I see that Simmons (Broncos) is 6'2" and Cooper is 6'1".  And I know that Simmons was coming back to the ball with a head of steam.  But Cooper had to know the ball was inbound and Simmons went way above Cooper to snag it.  An elite wr at 6'1" would have at least gotten a hand on that ball to break up the interception, right?
Agree. Felt the same way about that play. 

He’s going to finish strong guys. 
What on earth leads you to that conclusion?  Has to be just a gut feeling because nothing he has put on tape in his last 12 games suggests that he even belongs on an NFL offense's starting 11.  And now he has EJ Manuel tossing ducks at him.

What on earth leads you to that conclusion? Has to be just a gut feeling because nothing he has put on tape in his last 12 games suggests that he even belongs on an NFL offense's starting 11. And now he has EJ Manuel tossing ducks at him.
I think it was sarcasm.

How much weight did Cooper put on during the off season? 

I think it was sarcasm.

How much weight did Cooper put on during the off season? 
My bad!  I do get the sense though that a lot of people are still believers.  They may be right...but they seem so wrong to me right now.  I traded him away last week in Dynasty for Crowell, Moncreif, a 1st and a 2nd, and there were several very good posters in the dynasty trade thread that felt it was not enough.  I was pretty elated to get that much for him after such a horrid and long stretch of skanky box scores.

Gottabesweet said:
That's what my guess is, He's not fighting for 50/50 balls, doesn't look 100%

I feel like something will pop up and he'll be out soon.
Or he will play through it, poorly, all year and we will find out in the off season what was wrong or they will IR him if they are no longer in contention.
He has been on the injury report all year

Or he will play through it, poorly, all year and we will find out in the off season what was wrong or they will IR him if they are no longer in contention.
He has been on the injury report all year
If teams keep putting a top cb on him and giving safety help, I think they will keep using him as a decoy. I agree that he is probably hurt. You rarely see players drop off this much and look this bad. 

The guy had back to back 1000 yd seasons. Had two crappy games and one of them was against DEN. His drops are inexcusable, but there is a lot of overreacting going on here. If you drafted him to be your #1 that's your fault because he's never been a WR1 and you drafted him above his value (redraft).

Show me one player in the last 10 years that started out their career with back to back 1000 yd seasons and then completely flopped. He's a definite hold for me and a really good buy low.

Show me one player in the last 10 years that started out their career with back to back 1000 yd seasons and then completely flopped. He's a definite hold for me and a really good buy low.
While I agree with what you're saying, this is a bit of a trick question here.  Only 7 players in the last 10 years have had a 1,000 receiving yard rookie season - AJ Green, K Allen, Beckham, Evans, K Benjamin, Cooper, and last year M Thomas.  You might want to look at a longer window than just 10 years, and possibly loosen up the "1,000" yard threshold and a few names might start coming up. 

It’s a bad stretch no doubt but I’m not sure how I feel about trading off a guy who has all the athleticism you want, two seasons of production and still getting a high target share. He should definitely be ranked lower but trading him for high risk WR 3’s, no thanks.

The guy had back to back 1000 yd seasons. Had two crappy games and one of them was against DEN. His drops are inexcusable, but there is a lot of overreacting going on here. If you drafted him to be your #1 that's your fault because he's never been a WR1 and you drafted him above his value (redraft).

If it were really 2 crappy games this would not be a discussion.  Its 12.  He hasnt topped 76 yards since week 8 last year.  4 TD in 12 games, averaging probably around 40 yards per game.  I may even do the math to demonstrate just how pathetic it really is.

If it were really 2 crappy games this would not be a discussion.  Its 12.  He hasnt topped 76 yards since week 8 last year.  4 TD in 12 games, averaging probably around 40 yards per game.  I may even do the math to demonstrate just how pathetic it really is.
Over his past 12 games he is averaging:

3.58 catches for 39.6 yards and .3 TD per game.  Over a full season, that is:

57 catches for 633 yards and 5 TD.  Not bad for a TE2.

Over his past 12 games he is averaging:

3.58 catches for 39.6 yards and .3 TD per game.  Over a full season, that is:

57 catches for 633 yards and 5 TD.  Not bad for a TE2.
There was a 4 game stretch at the end of last year and 3 stinkers this year. Why 12 games though? Why not 16 or his whole short career? Like I said, if you expect him to be a WR1 that's on you. It's a long season, and there is no reason to sell him for peanuts when you can take a wait and see approach with a guy that has been a decent WR2 in the past

There was a 4 game stretch at the end of last year and 3 stinkers this year. Why 12 games though? Why not 16 or his whole short career? Like I said, if you expect him to be a WR1 that's on you. It's a long season, and there is no reason to sell him for peanuts when you can take a wait and see approach with a guy that has been a decent WR2 in the past
It wasnt a 4 game stretch.  It was an 8 game stretch last year pus the 4 this year.  He blew up in week 8 and has disappeared from relevance ever since.  He has been unstartable for 12 games.  If you want to add in the 4 games prior to his 12 games of patheticness, feel free.  The average for 16 games will still suck.

Users who are viewing this thread