What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (2 Viewers)

“We’re still going to keep them fresh because there’s not much of a difference between the two, for me,” Shanahan said on “49ers Game Plan,” which airs Saturday at 7:30 p.m. on NBC Bay Area.

“I know they have different styles. But similar to Atlanta, whether it’s Devonta Freeman for Tevin Coleman, it didn’t matter much. There are some things that one does better than the other, and vice versa. But when you have two guys, it’s a good problem to have. You go with the hot hand but you also try to play both of them and keep them fresh.”
Link

I honestly think the dynamic between Hyde and Breida is very similar to Freeman and Coleman so I can't say I'm surprised. 

Who is starting this week?
Ah, a red herring to go with all of your straw men. Did he not get benched during the game?

Here's a hint- that's what people are concerned with, and rightfully so since it's already happened once. I don't know about you, but I don't play in any points per start leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, a red herring to go with all of your straw men. Did he not get benched during the game?

Here's a hint- that's what people are concerned with, and rightfully so since it's already happened once.
So, Hyde is starting on Sunday.

What's the problem? 

So, Hyde did get benched during the game on Sunday?
I think we're getting into semantics here. No he did not get benched as he played after the point in the third where you say he was benched. HOWEVER Shanahan did give Breida more PT from that point which was smart. But again, that is hardly unprecedented.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Hyde screwed up on two plays. Shanahan got miffed. Put him on the bench. Hyde went back in.

Shanahan even stated that Hyde is still "the man."

I expect Hyde to start and get the majority of the touches. Significantly more so than Breida (although he will get some).

All that said, don't love the matchup, but outside of more Hyde screwups, I'd expect a decent statline even in the case of catchup mode.

>>Carlos Hyde played a season-low 46 percent of the team snaps in Week 5. His snap share has gone from 82 percent, 74 percent, 69 percent to 46 percent over the past four weeks.<<

- Rotoworld.

The problem is that a bunch of folks complaining in here lost last week by a few points, and they are furious about it.

I started Hyde last week and still won.  

It’s about Hyde’s use and the uncertainty factor now that Shanahan has pulled his best RB because of a bad start in a game.  It makes Hyde a much more difficult decision in setting lineups.

I started Hyde last week and still won.  

It’s about Hyde’s use and the uncertainty factor now that Shanahan has pulled his best RB because of a bad start in a game.  It makes Hyde a much more difficult decision in setting lineups.
Sure.  It makes it more difficult to start him.  Some people are going way further and suggesting Shanahan was nuts to scale back Hyde's carries last week when he wasn't producing.  Others are taking it even further and claiming that giving Hyde more carries would have basically guaranteed victory last week.

Sure.  It makes it more difficult to start him.  Some people are going way further and suggesting Shanahan was nuts to scale back Hyde's carries last week when he wasn't producing.  Others are taking it even further and claiming that giving Hyde more carries would have basically guaranteed victory last week.

Yep.  And that’s reasonable speculation even if it obviously can’t be proven.  A lot of good RBs in the NFL become more productive as they accumulate work throughout the game.  A great example is Hunt and how he finishes games this year.  You feed your big dog in the NFL, even when things aren’t looking great early on.  Most especially when there is a significant drop off in talent to the next guy up.  Not doing that can contribute to a loss.

Certainly worthy of discussion on a FF board, no?

>>Carlos Hyde played a season-low 46 percent of the team snaps in Week 5. His snap share has gone from 82 percent, 74 percent, 69 percent to 46 percent over the past four weeks.<<

- Rotoworld.
somewhat misleading... the 3rd game he missed plays due to the hip injury in the first half... then he pretty much played the entire second half

Yep.  And that’s reasonable speculation even if it obviously can’t be proven.  A lot of good RBs in the NFL become more productive as they accumulate work throughout the game.  A great example is Hunt and how he finishes games this year.  You feed your big dog in the NFL, even when things aren’t looking great early on.  Most especially when there is a significant drop off in talent to the next guy up.  Not doing that can contribute to a loss.

Certainly worthy of discussion on a FF board, no?
Sure. Worthy of discussion, absolutely.

Did anybody say otherwise?

Flip side, a bunch of folks sure had a problem with any discussion of Breida.

I think we're getting into semantics here. No he did not get benched as he played after the point in the third where you say he was benched. HOWEVER Shanahan did give Breida more PT from that point which was smart. But again, that is hardly unprecedented.
I'm trying to answer your previous question of "I am not sure why people keep saying Hyde was benched". Many of us consider sitting your workhorse RB for 3 consecutive series in the 2nd half of a game to be an in-game benching, and a local columnist agrees.

Again, no one said it is "unprecedented", although I think you're greatly exaggerating just how often something like this happens, particularly when you add in the "hot hand" comments from the head coach. The only example you've given so far was a poor one from a decade ago- this isn't a common thing that happens to most starting RBs on a regular basis.

The bottom line is, you don't think what happened on Sunday, including the coaches comments afterwards, adds any uncertainty into Hyde's outlook at all. I disagree, I think most other people do as well, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, that doesn't mean you have to misrepresent the opposing viewpoint, particularly when it's entirely reasonable.

Many of us consider sitting your workhorse RB for 3 consecutive series in the 2nd half of a game to be an in-game benching, and a local columnist agrees.
My comment here isn't about the benching it's about moving forward. From this article:

>>“I plan on going with Carlos early,” Shanahan said, “and I plan on spelling him with Breida regardless, whether (Hyde)’s doing good or bad. Breida had a real good week of practice. We weren’t out there as much as we wanted (against the Colts), especially early in the game, and we ended up just going with the hot hand. We felt like Breida was going better at the time. I think they ended up 35 plays (for Breida) to 33 plays (for Hyde), so it was pretty even. That’s how it played out in that game, but I think it will be a different story each week.”<<

What happened:

- 1st SF drive - Hyde was in, it was pretty decent, ~6.30 minutes, Hyde was in for all of that. - FGM.

- 2nd - quick 3 & out - ~1.45 minutes

- 3rd - quick 3 & out - ~1.30 min. - at this point Hyde has runs of 1, 10 (penalty), 4, -2 & 6

- 4th - Breida - ~ 2.50

- 5th - Breida - end of half, ~1.00 minute - FGM

2nd half:

- 1st SF drive - Hyde - 3 & out - ~2.00 minutes

Breida is then in for 4 straight drives.

Hyde doesn't show up again until 4.32 is left in the 4th. That was a long 5:09 minute drive starting at the SF 11, resulting in a TD. Hyde had 4 touches, including a run from the Indy 2, which he did not convert.

Breida was in for the lone OT drive, but Hyde did come in for one carry.

From Rotoworld just now...

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said there’s "not much of a difference" between Matt Breida and Carlos Hyde.

Breida outsnapped Hyde and had 13 touches last week. He's trending up with season-highs in carries the past two games and should remain involved moving forward. The 49ers view Breida as a Tevin Coleman complement to Hyde. Breida doesn't have a ton of standalone value, but would be in line for big workloads if Hyde misses time.

I'm trying to answer your previous question of "I am not sure why people keep saying Hyde was benched". Many of us consider sitting your workhorse RB for 3 consecutive series in the 2nd half of a game to be an in-game benching, and a local columnist agrees.

Again, no one said it is "unprecedented", although I think you're greatly exaggerating just how often something like this happens, particularly when you add in the "hot hand" comments from the head coach. The only example you've given so far was a poor one from a decade ago- this isn't a common thing that happens to most starting RBs on a regular basis.

The bottom line is, you don't think what happened on Sunday, including the coaches comments afterwards, adds any uncertainty into Hyde's outlook at all. I disagree, I think most other people do as well, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, that doesn't mean you have to misrepresent the opposing viewpoint, particularly when it's entirely reasonable.
As I said it is a semantic argument. But as just mentioned Hyde was back in the game and getting touches on a 4th quarter TD drive.

I am not sure what you say I am misrepresenting but I apologize.

And I only gave two examples from a decade ago because I only looked at one player and immediately going examples so there was no point going any deeper.

As I said it is a semantic argument. But as just mentioned Hyde was back in the game and getting touches on a 4th quarter TD drive.

I am not sure what you say I am misrepresenting but I apologize.

And I only gave two examples from a decade ago because I only looked at one player and immediately going examples so there was no point going any deeper.
For starters, the entire 2nd paragraph from your first reply to me in this exchange:

They count more than rushing attempts. Taylor and Peterson both had 11 touches in the first game and Taylor had 13 touches to Peterson's 11 in the second one but it doesn't matter and I am tired of merely pointing out that what happened to Hyde is not unprecedented. Also I am pretty sure that most people only remember one thing Dennis Green ever said.

If you want to believe that what happened to Hyde is indicative of a changing of the guard by all means I will no longer try to convince you that it may be a little premature to have that attitude.  Apologies for not jumping on the panic train when perhaps I should have. And I will applaud you and your foresight if Breida seizes the majority of touches going forward.

Benjamin Albright is reporting on Twitter that the "Niners have received and made calls about RB Carlos Hyde” This guy was considered a stud two weeks ago and today the 49ers are trying to deal him. I don’t get it, but as a Hyde + Breida owner I would welcome it.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/919284331301961728
49ers/Lynch/shanahan are 100% in rebuild mode.  Looks like they want to get rid of all their best players,  unless this current regime acquired them. All Hyde owners should pray this trade happens as fast as possible to get him out of this disaster.  Kind of reminds me of when Chip Kelly took over the eagles and he wanted all his own players and as soon as he was fired, they got rid of them and the team moved forward.

49ers/Lynch/shanahan are 100% in rebuild mode.  Looks like they want to get rid of all their best players,  unless this current regime acquired them. All Hyde owners should pray this trade happens as fast as possible to get him out of this disaster.  Kind of reminds me of when Chip Kelly took over the eagles and he wanted all his own players and as soon as he was fired, they got rid of them and the team moved forward.
It worked out good for Richardson owners...Bowling ball of knives.

Agreed 100%

It does make sense from the 49ers point of view. If they truly believe that Breida can do the job why not get something for Hyde and not have to pay him big $ next season. I wonder where the most likely landing spots are?

So annoying. This whole Breida situation has been dogging me since draft day.

Drafted Hyde, then was targeting Breida. Some guy in the league goes on auto pilot to "grab a snickers" and he drafts Breida right in front of me. Doesn't even know who he is guaranteed.

Been trying to trade for Breida all season. Offers have been strong. Guy is just asleep at the wheel.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes in fantasy football.

Fascinating to see Internet rumor come to life. If I was a 9ers fan I'd be angry, but from a FF perspective I'll take it if it means making 2 RBs into starters at once.

Can't decide if this is internet rumor run amock or something to take seriously.

If it's something to take seriously, then Hyde's touches could be reduced significantly tmrw. SF certainly wouldn't Hyde to get hurt if they are serious about trading him.

Ajayi may have to go back into the starting lineup for me.

There are some teams where it would make sense to grab Hyde...To name a few - Minnesota, Detroit, Phily, Seattle, Washington. I think Hyde would be great in any of those places. It makes a lot of sense for SF to deal him.

Wow. I wouldn't agree with that, but if thats what the coach thinks, doesn't really matter what my opinion is.
I agree with you. Sounds like an excuse to the fans if they deal Hyde. Brenda may be a solid player (haven’t seen enough to say one way or another) but he isn’t Carlos Hyde.

I agree with you. Sounds like an excuse to the fans if they deal Hyde. Brenda may be a solid player (haven’t seen enough to say one way or another) but he isn’t Carlos Hyde.
Agree. I've watched both of these guys enough to know that Hyde is the superior RB. He's got power and quicks. I see Breida as less power/size but with quicks.

It doesn't matter. What matters more is that SF is looking to rebuild and stockpile. Nothing wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread