What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (1 Viewer)

Read around where some fans are saying "WE ARE SET FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS AT QUARTERBACK!" 

After one game. 

Garoppolo is still a UFA after the season, and talk like that should increase his value given how the Yorks tend to listen to the fans more, which is why things don't work out so well for the fans lol. Now they can franchise tag Jimmy Face of course and probably will do, but the low risk/reward kinda isn't there anymore since Garoppolo might want a better deal. Is he worth it? Not after one game, which is what the catch's point is. 

But the "OUR NEXT QUARTERBACK FOR TEN YEARS!" is pure Kool Aid guzzling right now. I don't blame 49er fans for getting drunk. I just blame the Yorks when they drink along with the fans and make the drunken decisions they always make. 

You're right but when you're raised with 31 years of Montana-young, I kinda get the rush to judgement. 
I think it’s more the 14 or so years of the post Garcia era, where the only competent QB play we’ve had was maybe 1.5 fun years with Kaepernick. When you see a QB who looks like he may be league average, it’s like finding water in the desert. 

I think it’s more the 14 or so years of the post Garcia era, where the only competent QB play we’ve had was maybe 1.5 fun years with Kaepernick. When you see a QB who looks like he may be league average, it’s like finding water in the desert. 
BINGO! That's the whole enchilada right there. Garropolo doesn't have all the starts where he has his worst game compared to his best game. All he has is a garbage time TD last week and a game where he didn't throw a TD against a team who will more than likely fire their head coach and rebuild again. Now for football's sake in the Bay Area, one can hope he is at least as good as Derek Carr and better. But this game doesn't show that. 

Yeah, my thought wasn't complete. 31 years of almost GOAT, then good play, followed by 14 years of garbage will get you to this point.

Cleveland fans don't see to have quite the same rush to claim their new guy is awesome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my thought wasn't complete. 31 years of almost GOAT, then good play, followed by 14 years of garbage will get you to this point.

Cleveland fans don't see to have quite the same rush to claim their new guy is awesome. 
KC Chiefs fans have "good Alex Smith" now, and they still want Mahomes to start lol. 49er fans had "same old Alex Smith", who reared his head in KC during their recent slide that might wind up taking them out of playoff contention.

Who knows? Knowing Jed, he will franchise Jimmy the Face and trade him, so he can bring Smith back, much to the delight of some die hard 49er fans who still want Smith at QB. /sarcasm

There were a couple of throws where Garp looked down the barrel and made the throw whereas Beathard would've taken the sack.

He's no worldbeater yet, but encouraging for a first start... the Bears D aren't great, but they're statistically better than half of the league if you go by YPG allowed.

chinawildman said:
There were a couple of throws where Garp looked down the barrel and made the throw whereas Beathard would've taken the sack.

He's no worldbeater yet, but encouraging for a first start... the Bears D aren't great, but they're statistically better than half of the league if you go by YPG allowed.
Garp. Lol.

Aside from taking a couple of unnecessary sacks, Jimmy looked pretty good today.
49ers fans are like people at a Trump rally over that game lol.

I mean they could had found a QB, or say he blows up in a game towards the negative. The test is going to be against Jacksonville. Again, you weigh his best game - which is unfair at this point because he only had his second start - to his worse game, which is also unfair because it might be against an opponent that the team as a whole can't match up against.

The issue is how much he will cost the team in the future as far as $$. Me, I like drafting one of the studs this upcoming draft and rebuilding that way, because it saves $$ that way, and if you look at Goff, Watson, Wentz, they are already where Garoppolo is and more.

I think if I were a 9ers fan I would be very happy having Jimmy G as my QB. The guy is going to be a very good pro and I think what’s really going to help him help that team is being in the best NFL franchise for 3 years learning the correct way to do things. He is already the best QB on the team in a very long time and has only had a month or so in the system. Obviously you need some WR help, but I think your offense is going to be money next year and for a long time to come. Back to back wins as a starter, not bad. 

Jimmy G gets his 3rd win in a row and is the first 49er QB to throw for 300+ yards in 2 straight games since Jeff Garcia in 2000. 

Oh, and Gould had a 6 FG game. 

Back the trick up! Lol

I hope Jimmy is as good as he’s looked the last few weeks, because he’s really done a number on our draft position. 

I hope Jimmy is as good as he’s looked the last few weeks, because he’s really done a number on our draft position. 
not if they franchise tag him. but he looks like a keeper after 3 games. jacksonville will be a real test, but for now they have a legit qb

Funny to hear folks calling in to local radio with the same conspiracy-esque thoughts posted in here of Garapolo signing with the Pats this offseason. 

Do people really not understand that the Niners control his rights? 

:doh:  

if you look at Goff, Watson, Wentz, they are already where Garoppolo is and more.
Depends what you mean by "where".... Watching that mic'd up video, it feels like Garp is a coach on the field and has endeared himself to his teammates in under 2 months. You can tell some of Brady's obssessiveness with every aspect of the game has rubbed off on him. Those 3 guys might have better playmakers around them, and have had more success, but it's unfair to hold Garp's situation or his lack of opportunity against him.

It's ok to get a little excited... haven't you been pining for the days when a great passer wears red and gold again?

I was wrong about the trade; this guy has way more game than I anticipated.  You can quibble with the valuation but at the end of the day, you are thrilled if you can get a competent long term starter. 

I was wrong about the trade; this guy has way more game than I anticipated.  You can quibble with the valuation but at the end of the day, you are thrilled if you can get a competent long term starter. 
Quibble with the valuation? Say what?

I just watched SF hang a 40 burger on the Jags and their #1 defense.

Next year is gonna be fun!

SF got a steal. You guys didn't deserve that detour post-Harbough (the Yorks did but not you guys), glad to see a bright future with Shanahan/Jimmy G. Must be exciting

To be perfectly honest, I wanted Jimmy G. to win ugly. Or even lose a game or two to end the season.

Reason - I wanted to own Jimmy G. on the cheap/late drafts next season in fantasy.

Now we can forget it.  He is going to be "everyone's sleeper" and target, and he likely won't be obtainable unless you get him in round 6-7 ish.

TZM

Great game.   So many wide open receivers in the first half.  It looked easy.  For that reason,  I gotta give equal credit to Shanahan and Garoppolo.

:thumbup:

Not a good time to be a Cardinals fan :kicksrock:  
Yes it is.  The return of the one true fantasy savior DAVID JOHNSON is coming back next season, and I'm betting LARRY FITZGERALD will try one more season, or its at least still possible.  I doubt Carson Palmer and Larry Fitz will go out on this note, I could be wrong though.  They still have a legit offense (when clicking), and need to shore up a few defensive and line issues.

Now, Garoppolo on the other hand, well I get the feeling he will cause us Cardinals fans a bunch of issues in the next few years.   :unsure:

TZM

Yes it is.  The return of the one true fantasy savior DAVID JOHNSON is coming back next season, and I'm betting LARRY FITZGERALD will try one more season, or its at least still possible.  I doubt Carson Palmer and Larry Fitz will go out on this note, I could be wrong though.  They still have a legit offense (when clicking), and need to shore up a few defensive and line issues.

Now, Garoppolo on the other hand, well I get the feeling he will cause us Cardinals fans a bunch of issues in the next few years.   :unsure:

TZM
They're gonna be in the dungeon of that division for many many years to come.

:lmao:  ok. CJ had the same limitations and was just as good or better a couple weeks ago, and he’s a rookie. 

I’m not saying Jimmy isn’t going to be better than CJ or a franchise-level QB, but everyone who is saying the Niners are set for the future after seeing that game is drinking the kool aid.
The kool aid was tasty after adding a little vodka. 

Anyone think Shanny, after seeing how well the trade has worked out, feels he got a little payback against NE (in regard to the Super Bowl loss/collapse)? I mean, Shanny now has what could have been NEs next franchise QB. I wonder if he thought "Suck it, New England" when the deal went through. lol

Anyone think Shanny, after seeing how well the trade has worked out, feels he got a little payback against NE (in regard to the Super Bowl loss/collapse)? I mean, Shanny now has what could have been NEs next franchise QB. I wonder if he thought "Suck it, New England" when the deal went through. lol
I’m sure NE will be devastated after they win the super bowl again this year. 

I’m sure NE will be devastated after they win the super bowl again this year. 
Plus, not saying Shanahan was without blame, but Quinn should have stepped in and told him to run the friggin ball.  Just like Roman didn't deserve all the blame for having Kaepernick throw fades at the end of the super bowl instead of handing off to Gore, running behind an excellent OL with the Ravens best run stopper out of the game.  Head coach is the ultimate decision maker.  Think Belichick doesn't know the plays that McDaniels is calling and approves before they are run?

Fun to have some realistic optimism going into the off season. 

The possibility of having Garp and Barkley for the next 6-7 years is making me root for the rams this weekend.
Not likely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/26/rams-expected-to-rest-some-starters-sunday/

Rams coach Sean McVay said he expects to rest some starters for the regular-season finale against the 49ers.

There’s “a vision to make sure we’re as ready as possible for that wild-card playoff game,” McVay said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area.

The Rams already have clinched the NFC West and cannot improve their playoff position. They are locked into either the No. 3 or No. 4 seed and will host a wild-card game either way.

Los Angeles could rest Todd Gurley, Jared Goff and Andrew Whitworth among others on Sunday. Gurley has 19 total touchdowns this season but may not get a chance to help his MVP candidacy, though his health for the playoffs is far more important than an individual award.

efactor said:
Plus, not saying Shanahan was without blame, but Quinn should have stepped in and told him to run the friggin ball.  Just like Roman didn't deserve all the blame for having Kaepernick throw fades at the end of the super bowl instead of handing off to Gore, running behind an excellent OL with the Ravens best run stopper out of the game.  Head coach is the ultimate decision maker.  Think Belichick doesn't know the plays that McDaniels is calling and approves before they are run?

Fun to have some realistic optimism going into the off season. 
Never saw a head coach approve plays during the game, sounds crazy to me.

Just looked at future NFL opponents, the 49ers are gonna be playing @ Tampa Bay in 2018 AND 2019.

https://i.imgur.com/4kIJiu2.png

I haven't been to a Bucs game in a few years, but I'l be at those 2! And I already planned on going to Super Bowl LV in Tampa (2021), and now it looks like SF should be a contender the next several years...oh man, seeing the Niners play in a SB is a bucket list item for me...and to see it locally without having to travel and deal with flights, hotel, etc...how sweet it would be. 

Also, in 2020, San Fran has a home game vs the Patriots. I hope Brady is still playing...

:pickle: :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread