What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think another thing to consider for LeBron is does he really want to go to the West for seeding purposes. If he goes West and coasts through the regular season like he has been to preserve himself for the playoffs, he might face GSW in the 2nd round. Is that what he really wants? Yea he has to beat them at some point but does he want to coast to a 4 seed with the Lakers and then get bounced in 5 or 6 from the 2nd round? That's definitely not a good look for the legacy.
First time I’ve heard this perspective, can you expand a little?

Psuedo NBA related question.  ESPN talking heads were debating if Harden would actually want LeBron to come to Houston.  Leaving that aside, the guy claimed Harden has a $300 million shoe contract, and between what he's already earned and the rest of his contract, will earn $300 million in the NBA.  Those numbers might be higher, but cut those in half and that's $300 million in earnings.  Why the heck does he waste his time doing State Farm commercials?  How many yachts can he water ski behind?  How much is enough?

First time I’ve heard this perspective, can you expand a little?
LeBron and the Cavs have been coasting to the playoffs to save energy for what they know is the real season.  They finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd and then this year 4th in the East. LeBron could be the #1 seed every time if he wants but obviously has his eyes on the prize. He knows it doesn't matter where they finish seed wise in the East. He feels he can get to the finals. 

Now if he does that out west, he may finish as a 4 or 5 seed. If GSW is the 1, they might have to play in round 2 instead of the WCF. 

Psuedo NBA related question.  ESPN talking heads were debating if Harden would actually want LeBron to come to Houston.  Leaving that aside, the guy claimed Harden has a $300 million shoe contract, and between what he's already earned and the rest of his contract, will earn $300 million in the NBA.  Those numbers might be higher, but cut those in half and that's $300 million in earnings.  Why the heck does he waste his time doing State Farm commercials?  How many yachts can he water ski behind?  How much is enough?
If you want to be a corporate mogul when you're done, there's never enough.

Guys, LeBron isn’t going to run it back with those dudes.  If he was staying in Cleveland, he would have been more definitive.  

Welcome to la-la land LeBron.  
Yo TommyBaby,

Can I join the Lakers bandwagon if LeBron comes?

Yours in Christ,

GOB

@tommyGunZ

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're saying sky's the limit. With a below average FT% and not shooting any 3's all year, he still almost averaged a triple double as a rookie. 
I really like Ben simmons. Im just questioning how he fits in a lineup with Lebron or whether they would be better off trading him at high value for Leonard. 

I really like Ben simmons. Im just questioning how he fits in a lineup with Lebron or whether they would be better off trading him at high value for Leonard. 
you and some others:

Windhorst: “I don’t see the basketball match for LeBron & Philadelphia.”

— Ry (@JustRyCole) June 29, 2018

that is insane to me. What has Lebron played with the past few years? what has constantly discussed that Lebron wants to work with (a PG who can handle taking the ball and allow Lebron to play off ball to preserve his body more). That is the thing with the Big 3 (LBJ, George, and Kawhi). Most reports from sports media suggest that all 3 are the best fit for the Sixers from a basketball sense. That is because of how the team was built and developed.

What?  Figured LA sports talk would be all in that LeBron is on the way at this point???
Depends on who's talking at the time. The tone right now is that a Leonard deal probably isn't happening before Saturday, George is getting cold feet and leaning towards staying in OKC which means LeBron won't be coming here to play with a bunch of babies and deal with Lavar. And that's not a ridiculous take by any stretch. I'm trying to prepare myself for another year of waiting and wondering which expensive one year deal players I'll get to root for this season. Derek Favors - come on down!

you and some others:

Windhorst: “I don’t see the basketball match for LeBron & Philadelphia.”

— Ry (@JustRyCole) June 29, 2018

that is insane to me. What has Lebron played with the past few years? what has constantly discussed that Lebron wants to work with (a PG who can handle taking the ball and allow Lebron to play off ball to preserve his body more). That is the thing with the Big 3 (LBJ, George, and Kawhi). Most reports from sports media suggest that all 3 are the best fit for the Sixers from a basketball sense. That is because of how the team was built and developed.
He has played with 3 shooters and a rebounder really when successful. Wade wasn’t a sniper from the 3 point line but he was a much better shooter and scorer than Simmons. 

I just think that the best Sixers team that includes both Lebron and Leonard likely does not include Simmons. I’d rather gamble on Fultz, re-sign Reddick, and keep Convington and the Euros. 

Depends on who's talking at the time. The tone right now is that a Leonard deal probably isn't happening before Saturday, George is getting cold feet and leaning towards staying in OKC which means LeBron won't be coming here to play with a bunch of babies and deal with Lavar. And that's not a ridiculous take by any stretch. I'm trying to prepare myself for another year of waiting and wondering which expensive one year deal players I'll get to root for this season. Derek Favors - come on down!
it is a good practice of the Sports radio because the hype for this train was getting way carried away. I can't imagine George planned a 3 part story of his free agency to just re-sign in OKC, and I don't think he will go anywhere but the Lakers (have heard tons about how great of a fit he would be in Philly, and how it makes tons of sense for him too, but haven't heard any rumors). I do agree Spurs would not force a trade to help Lakers get Lebron and Kawhi, and if they really got a great deal from them they would do it later in the summer. it seems to make sense that if either the Sixers or Lakers miss out on George and Lebron that team may go after Kawhi more seeing how they missed the 1st 2.

i'm liking how the rumors about Boogie to Washington aren't going away. Could be a fun team, and could also be a total train wreck.

I don't buy the Paul George staying in OKC narrative.  I just think he's being respectful of the franchise and of Westbrook.

He can play in his hometown, with LeBron, the extremely talented baby Lakers, and for Luke Walton?  While living in Newport Beach or Malibu?  Or he can play with Westbrook and Melo and celebrate big wins at Applebees?  

C'mon. 

the one thing I still don't get is the attraction of Lebron to Lakers based on his career after. I get he owns a home or 2 over there, but so does 1/3 of the NBA. I would think it would be interesting, but Philly is like 2 hours from New York. Has LA somehow topped New York as a destination spot? I certainly have East Coast bias, but that seems crazy to me. Maybe he hasn't kept up with the San Andreas fault and taxes in California enough

also am realizing I can't do this for another 6-7 days. Lebron and his Destination Cave really better make this decision early

the one thing I still don't get is the attraction of Lebron to Lakers based on his career after. I get he owns a home or 2 over there, but so does 1/3 of the NBA. I would think it would be interesting, but Philly is like 2 hours from New York. Has LA somehow topped New York as a destination spot? I certainly have East Coast bias, but that seems crazy to me. Maybe he hasn't kept up with the San Andreas fault and taxes in California enough
It is called the Entertainment Capital of the World for a reason...

It is called the Entertainment Capital of the World for a reason...
ehh, it was called that before the internet and globalization. Is Philly really the city of "Brotherly Love"? Sure it is a great sales pitch, just not sure how much it still holds up as a necessity

When you say 1/3 of the NBA has houses in SoCal, why do you think that is? 

i bet they only take like a day to shoot.  no matter what you have, if someone said you can have $1 million (or whatever) for 1 day of work, would you turn it down?

I don't buy the Paul George staying in OKC narrative.  I just think he's being respectful of the franchise and of Westbrook.

He can play in his hometown, with LeBron, the extremely talented baby Lakers, and for Luke Walton?  While living in Newport Beach or Malibu?  Or he can play with Westbrook and Melo and celebrate big wins at Applebees?  

C'mon. 
This is dumb and makes you look like a dbag. I do agree though about George, I think he feels guilty about leaving Westbrook. They seem to have developed a legitimate friendship. Apparently Presti made an appearance on that "documentary" he's doing for ESPN. Seems unnecessarily cruel to have him be a part of that. 

nice weather, and Drew Hanlan/Kardashians live there :shrug: . I would take North Philly and Kensigton any day over SoCal........................ :ph34r:
Uh......no.  I grew up on the East Coast, lived in DC, been to all the beaches from the Hamptons to Miami, spent time in NYC, Philly, etc.  When you have real, adult money?  It's really not even close.  :shrug:   

nice weather, and Drew Hanlan/Kardashians live there :shrug: . I would take North Philly and Kensigton any day over SoCal........................ :ph34r:
When you're LeBron rich and famous, there's no comparison between Manhattan, L.A., Miami and places like North Philly and Kensington. He's not going to Philly to live, though he may go there to play.

The way this thread is moving on a Friday in late June you would think the deadline to sign free agents is tonight at midnight. 

This is dumb and makes you look like a dbag. I do agree though about George, I think he feels guilty about leaving Westbrook. They seem to have developed a legitimate friendship. Apparently Presti made an appearance on that "documentary" he's doing for ESPN. Seems unnecessarily cruel to have him be a part of that. 
  That's fair - I see where that comes off as doushey.  

seriously though, see something, say something.  modogg may legitimately be having a nervous breakdown, so someone might want to call 911.  i'll buy you a beer, GB, if it will prevent a real catastrophe.
ehh, less so a nervous breakdown. More likely a broken phone

No offense intended. LeBron isn't going to live next door to me in Pasadena either.
Exactly.  I'm in Ocean Beach - where the dirty hippies who can't afford Del Mar, La Jolla, or Solana Beach live.  LeBron retires to San Diego, he sure as hell ain't living in my zip code.  Even @Maurile Tremblay wouldn't be seen owning real estate in my neck of the woods.  :)

No offense intended. LeBron isn't going to live next door to me in Pasadena either.
Kawhi might though. He's from Rancho Cuca, I think. And I think he'd like to be surrounded by family if I understand some of what's being said. You've convinced me to not care about him for now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread