What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a happier note, Tim Kawakami of the Athletic is reporting that the Warriors should be able to afford $300M+ payrolls in perpetuity with the opening of the Chase Center :thumbup:
Such a relief to hear that, after Kevin Durant cut ownership a break on the luxury tax this year, they will be able to afford a massive payroll by moving to a new stadium that will price out all their longtime fans in favor of Silicon Valley venture capitalists who think Run TMC is a Windows operating instruction.

How many 30+ year olds would turn down a (near) max contract extension, regardless of what the rest of the team looks like?
He's definitely made a lot of cash, so you might see a situation where someone might take a little bit less to go somewhere good, but as others have said, this seems so much higher than anything anyone else would have offered that he probably had to take it.

Is it also possible that the anxiety stuff would make him eschew a larger market/more intense situation?

He will have made $265 million by the end of this contract.  It looks like that would make him 5th all-time, at least at this moment (after LeBron's signing).  LeBron looks like he went to number 1 with his new contract, past Shaq, Kobe, Dirk and Garnett

Last edited by a moderator:
He's definitely made a lot of cash, so you might see a situation where someone might take a little bit less to go somewhere good, but as others have said, this seems so much higher than anything anyone else would have offered that he probably had to take it.

Is it also possible that the anxiety stuff would make him eschew a larger market/more intense situation?

He will have made $265 million by the end of this contract.  
I'd suck in Cleveland for 10 years for that much.

Love was worth this as a Twolve, right?  
Yeah, but that was 4 seasons ago, and even then there were questions about whether a team could be really successful with him as the main guy. 

It definitely sounds like all the Lebron drama has been hard on him the last few years. If I’m him, I wouldn’t want to take a pay cut to go to Houston (or wherever) so I could continue to be the fall guy either.  

I don't think Durant was trying to give them a break this year, he wants maximum leverage and to be a free agent and I think there's a good possibility he leaves. The rest of your point is valid except San Francisco isn't in Silicon Valley.

When I was growing up my dad had season tickets and he literally couldn't give them away. I'll gladly take these days over the Warriors of yesteryear even if I have to watch on TV (or once a year when they play the Clippers). Sure it sucks for the longtime fans getting priced out (including my pops), but I think most fans would make that trade in heartbeat. Putting a winning team on the floor/field for multiple seasons takes a lot of $ in every sport.

Plus they'll always have the A's :thumbup:
Going forward you can probably just assume all anti-Warriors ranting here is just angry shtick from increasingly disgruntled and bitter NBA fans :P

Obviously the same thing would happen most anywhere else, although the demographics/geography of the bay area probably heightens the effect.

Beyond the money, Love probably also likes the idea of putting up big numbers on a crap team for 4 years and strengthening his HoF candidacy.
He'll be back to averaging 20 and 20. He'll get all the praise again as the man that stayed behind and did his best in LeBron's aftermath.

This. Let's be honest. If Love went into free agency next year he is looking at a 4 for 50ish deal at best? 120 is more than he will make the rest of his career even if he plays until 38ish. 
I imagine he could’ve gotten at least 20/year from a different team - hell, Jabari Parker got that much this year, in a much tighter market, averaging about 9 games played per season. Definitely wouldn’t have sniffed 4/120 though, so clearly a no-brainer on his part.

I can tell I'm still not over this Kawhi betrayal, because it makes me laugh to hear that Jordan brand is planning not to renew his shoe contract when it expires next season. Also the fact that he's not going to show up for Team USA mini camp is kind of funny; I'm guessing he's scared to look Pop in the face these days. Sorry Kawhi, but you are destroying your reputation. Unless this guy plays MVP level ball next year, people aren't going to forget this stuff. Maybe even then -- even championships haven't redeemed KD in a lot of people's eyes, and what Kawhi did seems worse from where I'm standing.

Meanwhile, DeMar DeRozan says more than ten words in an interview, which is refreshing. Guy clearly wears his heart on his sleeve, and it sounds like he's going to be motivated to show the Raptors they made a mistake. If Pop can get him focused on defense and keep him from disappearing in the playoffs, the Spurs will have made out okay in this deal and should have a very successful year.

Beyond the money, Love probably also likes the idea of putting up big numbers on a crap team for 4 years and strengthening his HoF candidacy.
But here's the thing - if he puts up big numbers then he's probably going to be traded to a contender at some point, I'd guess by the trade deadline in 2020.  He certainly could fade and just become an unmoveable albatross though.  And Dan's dumb enough to think he can compete for the playoffs with Love as the main guy, but it just isn't going to happen.  This team will near the trade deadline on the outside looking in then realize how close they are to losing their protected 1st round pick and go full D league around Love and Sexton to ensure one of the 10 worst records.  And the same thing will happen next year.  Love had one year over 31 wins as a T wolve and now he's heading to the other side of age 30.  Both Sexton and next year's #1 have to be instant stars (or something close to it) for this team to not be a bad one next year.

carlo is a know liar remember when he told cleveland that if they did not option him he would resign with them but then he just left and signed with slc well all i know is who cares what he says its probably just bs take that to the bank bromigos 

I can tell I'm still not over this Kawhi betrayal, because it makes me laugh to hear that Jordan brand is planning not to renew his shoe contract when it expires next season. Also the fact that he's not going to show up for Team USA mini camp is kind of funny; I'm guessing he's scared to look Pop in the face these days. Sorry Kawhi, but you are destroying your reputation. Unless this guy plays MVP level ball next year, people aren't going to forget this stuff. Maybe even then -- even championships haven't redeemed KD in a lot of people's eyes, and what Kawhi did seems worse from where I'm standing.

Meanwhile, DeMar DeRozan says more than ten words in an interview, which is refreshing. Guy clearly wears his heart on his sleeve, and it sounds like he's going to be motivated to show the Raptors they made a mistake. If Pop can get him focused on defense and keep him from disappearing in the playoffs, the Spurs will have made out okay in this deal and should have a very successful year.

Sorry Kawhi, but you are destroying your reputation. Unless this guy plays MVP level ball next year, people aren't going to forget this stuff. Maybe even then -- even championships haven't redeemed KD in a lot of people's eyes, and what Kawhi did seems worse from where I'm standing.
I can't speak for everyone of course, but as a non-Spurs fan, I already don't care.

Kawhi betrayal is funny. Like really made me laugh. We don't know the whole story. 

Him not going to the USA mini camp could be anything. You are a Spurs fan and it sucks. I get it, I felt the same way about Grant Hill leaving. 

Unless Kawhi falls flat on his face or refuses to play for the Raptors no one will care or remember this by the end of next year. 

The Raptors didn't make a mistake, even if Derozan wins the MVP and Kawhi pouts and leaves. Derozan was never going to kick it to another level in Toronto. That group of players on that team ran its course. 

Knocking a guy for who he is, is childish. Who cares if Kawhi doesn't talk, that is him, he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and he shouldn't have to try to be someone he isn't. You were probably one of those fans that said " I really love the way Kawhi just goes out there and does his job and doesn't run his mouth like every other star" Especially when he was winning the finals MVP. 

The Durant/McCollum thing is why I don't think Durant willingly leaves the Warriors.  It's two years and two finals MVP later and people are still talking about his decision.  Get over it already. People are going to talk crap about him no matter what he does so why ever give them fuel by going somewhere else and losing (like the Knicks rumors).  If I were him, I would stay on the Warriors counting rings and pis$ing as many people off as possible.

The Durant/McCollum thing is why I don't think Durant willingly leaves the Warriors.  It's two years and two finals MVP later and people are still talking about his decision.  Get over it already. People are going to talk crap about him no matter what he does so why ever give them fuel by going somewhere else and losing (like the Knicks rumors).  If I were him, I would stay on the Warriors counting rings and pis$ing as many people off as possible.
He'll be a Laker next year.

Durant ain't leaving. He has a legit shot at 6 titles. He can stake his own claim at greatness. People aren't going to remember the how in 20-30 years. They'll just see his stats and how many rings he has, look at his highlight reel and go "damn, that guy is legit top 5 all time."

Kawhi betrayal is funny. Like really made me laugh. We don't know the whole story. 

Him not going to the USA mini camp could be anything. You are a Spurs fan and it sucks. I get it, I felt the same way about Grant Hill leaving. 

Unless Kawhi falls flat on his face or refuses to play for the Raptors no one will care or remember this by the end of next year. 

The Raptors didn't make a mistake, even if Derozan wins the MVP and Kawhi pouts and leaves. Derozan was never going to kick it to another level in Toronto. That group of players on that team ran its course. 

Knocking a guy for who he is, is childish. Who cares if Kawhi doesn't talk, that is him, he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and he shouldn't have to try to be someone he isn't. You were probably one of those fans that said " I really love the way Kawhi just goes out there and does his job and doesn't run his mouth like every other star" Especially when he was winning the finals MVP. 
I think you have the wrong impression of where I’m coming from. I’m not criticizing Kawhi for not talking. He can do his thing; it’s cool. I can find DeRozan’s openness refreshing without it being a condemnation of Kawhi’s personality. They are different cats. 

Kawhi is definitely taking it on the chin right now in terms of public perception, but you’re right that to most it’s not a big deal and that it will be forgotten in time. But he handled his business extremely poorly and unprofessionally, regardless of whatever the whole story might be, and he is paying a price for that regardless of what I think. You won’t convince me otherwise. So forgive me for indulging in a little schadenfreude about it. Yeah, I thought Kawhi was a high character guy, so did a lot of people. It turns out he’s actually the kind of guy who will play hide and seek in a hotel to avoid having to talk to his coach, among a host of other bizarre behaviours. This glimpse of the real Kawhi caught a lot of people by surprise, particularly, from what I gather, his coach and teammates.  I think it’s fair to call it out.

I think you have the wrong impression of where I’m coming from. I’m not criticizing Kawhi for not talking. He can do his thing; it’s cool. I can find DeRozan’s openness refreshing without it being a condemnation of Kawhi’s personality. They are different cats. 

Kawhi is definitely taking it on the chin right now in terms of public perception, but you’re right that to most it’s not a big deal and that it will be forgotten in time. But he handled his business extremely poorly and unprofessionally, regardless of whatever the whole story might be, and he is paying a price for that regardless of what I think. You won’t convince me otherwise. So forgive me for indulging in a little schadenfreude about it. Yeah, I thought Kawhi was a high character guy, so did a lot of people. It turns out he’s actually the kind of guy who will play hide and seek in a hotel to avoid having to talk to his coach, among a host of other bizarre behaviours. This glimpse of the real Kawhi caught a lot of people by surprise, particularly, from what I gather, his coach and teammates.  I think it’s fair to call it out.
We prefer our homer takes much more one sided and insane around here.  This is no place for sense or nuance.  Please try harder next time.

Fair enough. 

I don't know if this is the real Kawhi though. It might be, but I am not going to judge either side until we hear the details. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread