What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (2 Viewers)

Fact: He did not perform at a high level in the American Conference this my friend is a Fact. Which I stated earlier.

Fact: no other WR has ever underperformed in college (forget he played in the laughable American Conference) and went on the the NFL and produced at a high level. Again, I stated this earlier.
It's fact that 76/1246/10 (16.4 YPC) and 68/1085/12 (16.0 YPC) is not performing at high levels?

Someone should let Terrell Owens, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, know that they will factually not ever produce in the NFL at high levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, apparently the coaches have assigned Chris Harris to cover Sutton in camp because no other DBs can handle him.  Roby seems to have been used so badly that he has resorted to grabbing Sutton’s facemask in his frustration in getting beat, which pissed the coaches off.

ETA - And then after practice he has been seeking out vet WRs like Sanders and DT to ask them for their helmets to carry back to the locker room.

Got him in 14 team dynasty. :wub:  ....and Anthony Miller and Ronald Jones with 3 1st round picks.

#### yeah. Courtland Sutton!!!!!!!!!!! :pickle:  

DAL was connected to him with their 1st rounder for a long time.  I wonder how they feel about passing on him now.
Yeah that's where I was hoping he would go. It would have been a great fit and Sutton would have gotten off to a fast start. 

Just another example that maybe NFL scouting departments aren't as good as some people think. 

Just another example that maybe NFL scouting departments aren't as good as some people think. 
Let's see him play some games first.  That said, I just took him 12.05 in a high stakes draft which literally just ended.  He went in the 18th in another one I did a week or so ago.

Let's see him play some games first.  That said, I just took him 12.05 in a high stakes draft which literally just ended.  He went in the 18th in another one I did a week or so ago.
95 yard TD again yesterday against Roby. You're right in general we should wait until he's played some regular season games but keep in mind the secondary he's doing this against is widely regarded as one of the better units in the league. 

The tape I've seen his footwork is as smooth and quick as I've ever seen on a big guy. 

Milkman said:
Yeah they aren't and neither is coaching in the NFL. it's not like they are all Ivy league grads and geniuses. A lot are promoted way beyond their capabilities. It's no different in the NFL than any other business.

Rhythmdoctor said:

I agree.  He has to show he can do the same against opponents that he is doing in practice.  But right now this is all we really have to go on, and the DEN DBs are a pretty good group to be measured against.  

But it’s just next to impossible to overlook the continual daily reports of how spectacular his play in practice against that set of DBs is.  It certainly belongs in the discussion in this forum.

NFL network is at Broncos camp this morning and will be talking a lot about Sutton. It's on right now.

Milkman said:
They definitely have misses.  I'd still trust them more than anyone else on projecting talent.

It does seem a lot of teams may have missed on Sutton.  Time will tell but all reports seem very positive at this point.

Andrew Mason✔@MaseDenver

Vance Joseph, on the backup WRs practicing in place of Thomas & Sanders (who got rest days) today:
"There wasn’t much drop-off as far as knowing what to do … If 88 and 10 go down, I think we’re in good shape with 14 and 17 (Sutton and Hamilton)."

12:59 PM - Aug 8, 2018

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I’m still not buying. I want to so badly but I just can’t. He’d be the first in modern history to be below avg in college only to be a stud in the NFL. Flame on! But show me two people that have done that.

I will officially shut my mouth and wait til then end of the season to post back to either eat crow pie or ask more questions.

Good luck to everyone this season,

Tex

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I’m still not buying. I want to so badly but I just can’t. He’d be the first in modern history to be below avg in college only to be a stud in the NFL. Flame on! But show me two people that have done that.

I will officially shut my mouth and wait til then end of the season to post back to either eat crow pie or ask more questions.

Tex
You're so emotionally attached to your argument that there's no point in debating. 

Tex
Sounds convincing.

3,200 receiving yards and 31 TD’s in 3 years as a starter.

I knew the average college receiver was talented, but if most are better than that, wow!

3,200 receiving yards and 31 TD’s in 3 years as a starter.

I knew the average college receiver was talented, but if most are better than that, wow!
That's really all there's left to say. If he can't admit that Sutton produced well in college where can you go from there. 

Odell Beckham Jr had 2340 yards and 12 TDs in college. 

As a long time Bronco fan .........Like the swallows returning to Capistrano year-in and year-out there is always excessive hype for new members in the WR corp. I hope he his a great addition but I'd like to see media and reporters check their enthusiasm just a bit until we see a few real game performances.  

In 2016 Sutton put up 76/1246/10 in 12 games, was 12th in college football in receiving yards per game, and had a 39% market share of passing yards and a 45% market share of passing TDs. Very good numbers, comparable to what many other elite NFL receivers have done. By my formulas it was a bit better than what Beckham or Julio did in college, a bit worse than what Calvin or AJ Green did, and far behind some guys like Dez & Evans. His numbers in 2017 weren't as good, but some other guys like JuJu & Jeffery also had their numbers drop in their final college season and then looked good in the NFL.

In 2016 Sutton put up 76/1246/10 in 12 games, was 12th in college football in receiving yards per game, and had a 39% market share of passing yards and a 45% market share of passing TDs. Very good numbers, comparable to what many other elite NFL receivers have done. By my formulas it was a bit better than what Beckham or Julio did in college, a bit worse than what Calvin or AJ Green did, and far behind some guys like Dez & Evans. His numbers in 2017 weren't as good, but some other guys like JuJu & Jeffery also had their numbers drop in their final college season and then looked good in the NFL.
To me it’s easy- Treadwell was similar stature and everyone thought he was going to be great. He has the size nfl teams covet. If you talked about his lack of speed and explosiveness it was explained away- “he wins at the catch point/he’s really young and could still be growing/etc”. Fast forward and he has trouble separating and hasn’t seen the field much. 

Sutton has been compared to treadwell more than any other wr I’ve seen. It’s like “I’m doing a write up on Sutton, so who has been similar- well, treadwell.” Except Sutton is explosive, maybe not blazing fast but fast for a guy his size, and has a “my ball” mentality. 

Sometimes I just think a guy has “it” and Sutton is one of those guys. I couldn’t get any Sutton stock on my teams simply due to bigger needs at rb and picking early enough to get one or two of the good ones and couldn’t find a way to get back into the late 1st. I have a feeling he’s going to make a lot of people regret not drafting him. 

To me it’s easy- Treadwell was similar stature and everyone thought he was going to be great. He has the size nfl teams covet. If you talked about his lack of speed and explosiveness it was explained away- “he wins at the catch point/he’s really young and could still be growing/etc”. Fast forward and he has trouble separating and hasn’t seen the field much. 

Sutton has been compared to treadwell more than any other wr I’ve seen. It’s like “I’m doing a write up on Sutton, so who has been similar- well, treadwell.” Except Sutton is explosive, maybe not blazing fast but fast for a guy his size, and has a “my ball” mentality. 

Sometimes I just think a guy has “it” and Sutton is one of those guys. I couldn’t get any Sutton stock on my teams simply due to bigger needs at rb and picking early enough to get one or two of the good ones and couldn’t find a way to get back into the late 1st. I have a feeling he’s going to make a lot of people regret not drafting him. 
I agree that there will be some regrets. He’s been strangely overlooked this offseason by analysts. I can’t believe how short term the thinking is in dynasty - the consensus view is to take all these RBs, half of whom probably won’t pan out and are average talents being boosted by situation, over Sutton, who I think has legit WR potential. All because he’s supposedly “blocked” by two older WRs who might be gone next year. Are we playing dynasty or redraft here? He was my 1.02 all offseason and I’m just glad I didn’t need to trade up to get him anywhere.

I have to say though I’ve never seen/heard a comparison with Treadwell. They are quite different WRs to me.

I got JuJu and Jeffery at good value because of numbers drop.  Late first is where Sutton is currently being drafted, beyond that is value IMO and overpay if you pick him earlier (dynasty).  Would have loved to walk away with early RB and Sutton 2nd round in a rookie draft.

I agree that there will be some regrets. He’s been strangely overlooked this offseason by analysts. I can’t believe how short term the thinking is in dynasty - the consensus view is to take all these RBs, half of whom probably won’t pan out and are average talents being boosted by situation, over Sutton, who I think has legit WR potential. All because he’s supposedly “blocked” by two older WRs who might be gone next year. Are we playing dynasty or redraft here? He was my 1.02 all offseason and I’m just glad I didn’t need to trade up to get him anywhere.

I have to say though I’ve never seen/heard a comparison with Treadwell. They are quite different WRs to me.
I agree he doesn’t look like treadwell other than the size. Lots of articles around draft time making the comparison though.  I still like a lot of the rbs, and guys I liked ended up in what I think are good situations, but a lot of guys have some knock against them. Chubb has hyde there (and no guarantee he isn’t there next year), Jones struggling to overtake barber and in pass game, michel is banged up and has coughed it up. Penny looks like a timeshare with Carson at the moment. I think Moore and Sutton make a strong case. 

I said it somewhere else (or maybe even in this thread) I’ll say it again- weak wr class looking pretty decent imo- 

Sutton 

moore

ridley (I’m not high on but what do I know, I do think he could outscore the other rookies but has lower ceiling)

kirk

miller

washington

gallup

um, I’m just going to go out there, 

deon cain

Probably forgetting someone, but all these guys could provide value over the next 7 years. 

Comparing Sutton to Treadwell is just flat out lazy.  Sutton is literally physically superior to Treadwell in every way.  There is not one measureable in which Treadwell was superior going into the draft.  And in some of them, Sutton blew Treadwell’s results away.

DBs in DEN are talking about how quick Sutton’s footwork is and how low he sinks his hips in his cuts.  He plays the position like an athlete, not just a big guy who wins on size.  That was Treadwell’s MO and why he has fallen on his face as a pro. 

Make no mistake, like every rookie WR Sutton is a work in progress.  He has to refine his game.  But unlike Treadwell, he has the physical ability to support his game transcending to a different level and it has shown so far in camp in his being so difficult already to cover.  By all accounts, he’s a hungry student, a quick learner, and has the will to take his game to a different level.  If he’s that difficult for starting DBs to cover right now, what happens when he refines and expands his game?

Comparing Sutton to Treadwell is just flat out lazy.  Sutton is literally physically superior to Treadwell in every way.  There is not one measureable in which Treadwell was superior going into the draft.  And in some of them, Sutton blew Treadwell’s results away.

DBs in DEN are talking about how quick Sutton’s footwork is and how low he sinks his hips in his cuts.  He plays the position like an athlete, not just a big guy who wins on size.  That was Treadwell’s MO and why he has fallen on his face as a pro. 

Make no mistake, like every rookie WR Sutton is a work in progress.  He has to refine his game.  But unlike Treadwell, he has the physical ability to support his game transcending to a different level and it has shown so far in camp in his being so difficult already to cover.  By all accounts, he’s a hungry student, a quick learner, and has the will to take his game to a different level.  If he’s that difficult for starting DBs to cover right now, what happens when he refines and expands his game?
He is going to be a star. Not this year but in 2019 he'll be Denver's WR1. 

I agree that there will be some regrets. He’s been strangely overlooked this offseason by analysts.
Yeah I probably missed the boat on him because Waldman and Bloom were dissing him pretty badly on an FBG podcast. I generally respect them, and did not do as much of my own research/game cut up viewing as normal - so I passed on him where I had a chance to grab him.

Obviously they still may end up being right but it's not looking good. I'm not blaming them because we all have our misses and I could have done my own research - but just mostly concentered on the RBs this year due to some time constraints.

RBs, half of whom probably won’t pan out and are average talents being boosted by situation,
I'm not sure if this is fair though. In a league where all we hear is how RBs are being devalued, these RBs all went with premium picks (first round and early to mid second round). While of course half may not end of panning out, the NFL teams obviously feel they all are above average talents or they would have passed and grabbed a RB later.

But I do agree that we are all probably too inpatient with young WRs - should a guy like Gallup go before Sutton just because we think his situation is a little better in 2018?

Yeah I probably missed the boat on him because Waldman and Bloom were dissing him pretty badly on an FBG podcast. I generally respect them, and did not do as much of my own research/game cut up viewing as normal - so I passed on him where I had a chance to grab him.

Obviously they still may end up being right but it's not looking good. I'm not blaming them because we all have our misses and I could have done my own research - but just mostly concentered on the RBs this year due to some time constraints.

Waldman I understand.  I have absolutely no doubt that he puts in as much or more effort than almost everyone in the prognostication game and that he is undoubtedbly a remarkabkle wordsmith, but based upon the number and magnitude of his misses I wonder if he really knows what he is looking at and I also believe he allows a personal agenda to cloud his judgment at times.

Sig is different IMO.  He’s much more perceptive in capturing the attributes and intangibles that make a player a good or better pro.  

But then we all miss much more often than we’d like.  Goodness knows I do.

Waldman I understand.  I have absolutely no doubt that he puts in as much or more effort than almost everyone in the prognostication game and that he is undoubtedbly a remarkabkle wordsmith, but based upon the number and magnitude of his misses I wonder if he really knows what he is looking at and I also believe he allows a personal agenda to cloud his judgment at times.

Sig is different IMO.  He’s much more perceptive in capturing the attributes and intangibles that make a player a good or better pro.  

But then we all miss much more often than we’d like.  Goodness knows I do.
In fairness, it was more Waldman (who has just as many hits) than Bloom talking down Sutton's game - but Bloom was in agreement and chiming in. I'll also say this was a one time pre-draft commentary made on that one particular podcast, so it's possible they each had changed their views at a later date in time.

Like I said, it's early still and we don't really know what kind of career Sutton will have despite practicing well - but it certainly seems he's on the right track.

He went two picks ahead of me in both of my rookie drafts and I tried like crazy to trade up but no luck. Price has only gone up since then. Hopefully I will be able to pry him away in season as teams focus more on winning now.

The Treadwell stuff is ridiculous, someone made a similar comparison back in March in either this thread or the one dedicated to the rookie WR's prospects sucking this year and it was easy to blow out of the water then too. Their profiles are pretty much night and day.

I've said this before, but I'm still amazed at how Sutton was considered an elite prospect in 2017 by most FFers, yet all of a sudden people had numerous concerns about him going into the 2018 draft.

From a raw physical standpoint, Sutton is an ideal candidate to develop into an NFL go-to WR, IMO. Any concerns about his athletic ability should've been erased at the Combine.

Sutton isn't a lock to be a FF stud, of course, but he's looking really good right now. Not sure what to expect as a rookie, but I'm really excited about his long-term upside.

I've said this before, but I'm still amazed at how Sutton was considered an elite prospect in 2017 by most FFers, yet all of a sudden people had numerous concerns about him going into the 2018 draft.

From a raw physical standpoint, Sutton is an ideal candidate to develop into an NFL go-to WR, IMO. Any concerns about his athletic ability should've been erased at the Combine.

Sutton isn't a lock to be a FF stud, of course, but he's looking really good right now. Not sure what to expect as a rookie, but I'm really excited about his long-term upside.
The scouting community is a giant echo chamber. So these things happen. 

Yeah I wish I'd been as high on him in May as I am now.
Back in May he was someone I liked but not nearly as much as I like him now, however that might just be due to owning him and convincing yourself the guy is awesome, but with some good camp reports sprinkled in there. 

Initially I was buying into the Kirk hype and traded back to try and grab him, but he went right before me. I ended up taking Sutton somewhat disappointed and finished my draft having drafted 6 out of 7 players I specifically wanted. Sutton was my second choice. Once camp started and I was paying attention to Sutton more, I started to really like what I saw. I think I lucked out pretty well there. 

Again, a guy who was thought by many to be taken in the top half of rookie drafts in December suddenly falling because of what draft scouts said and where he went in the draft... seems a little odd

Cameron Parker@CameronParkerPO

John Elway on Sirius XM NFL Radio talking about Courtland Sutton, “His catch radius might be the best I’ve ever seen.”

1:12 PM - Aug 9, 2018 · Colorado Springs, CO

James Palmer✔@JamesPalmerTV

I was sitting in with @bstokley14 and @byesline on @1043TheFan and Emmanuel Sanders told us Courtland Sutton is the best rookie WR he has ever seen. He also believes Sutton has a legit chance to win rookie of the year this season.

2:20 PM - Aug 9, 2018

Agree he’s not a lock and obviously needs to refine his game - this was one of the big knocks on him for immediate value - that he “needs to develop” or the classic “needs to improve his route running”. Of course he does, they all do, but I thought for some reason this was overstated with Sutton compared to guys like Ridley, Kirk and DJ Moore. None of them come in as finished products yet sometimes we have trouble viewing a player as anything other than what he is right now.

I wonder too with Sutton whether he’s been hurt by the anti big-WR bias that seems to be around now- everyone loves the small, quick guys, the technicians. So do I, but maybe because Sutton isn’t that he was seen as being more raw or a project than some others. Add that to his supposedly “bad” landing spot (I still don’t understand this unless you’re talking about being tied to Keenum, who I’m not sure is good yet), rookie RB hysteria, and you get him dropping in rookie drafts. Yet as another person mentioned, a year ago he was the hype WR prospect in this draft. The dynasty world is fickle.

Probably beating a dead horse now but we’ll see how it goes. Early signs are exciting and the fact that it’s guys like Chris Harris Jr having trouble with him only adds to the intrigue.

Dr. Octopus said:
I'm not sure if this is fair though. In a league where all we hear is how RBs are being devalued, these RBs all went with premium picks (first round and early to mid second round). While of course half may not end of panning out, the NFL teams obviously feel they all are above average talents or they would have passed and grabbed a RB later.

But I do agree that we are all probably too inpatient with young WRs - should a guy like Gallup go before Sutton just because we think his situation is a little better in 2018?
That’s true but to me Jones, Penny and Kerryon were overdrafted and I’d be surprised if they were elite RBs. I like Freeman but even he doesn’t really have high end traits and he was a third round pick. Guice, Chubb and Michel have talent but I’m not convinced they will even produce more than Sutton in year 1 and that’s supposed to be a main reason why everyone takes RBs over Sutton in rookie drafts. So it doesn’t make much sense to me. Goedert is the TE version of Sutton, similar thing basically and now people are starting to warm up.

Users who are viewing this thread