What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does the Deep South dominate college football? (1 Viewer)

All this talk about how it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$, yet nobody can actualy break it down on how it actually works. All these years and no kid ever blew the whistle on Alabama?  I find that hard to believe.

Saban with no fear of being busted, really?

So how does it realy work, well?
I could break it down for hours for you. 

Of course some kids talk. That’s how schools get caught. Usually they don’t though. Why would any kid who was enriched speak out against they system? That doesn’t make any sense at all. 

Nearly everyone down here takes pride in their school they went to - and its a big battle for bragging rights. With that everyone will do whatever it takes to make sure their school comes out on top of whatever rivalry they have - WHATEVER IT TAKES. So everyone looks the other way when bags of money get passed, cars show up, maybe a job on campus or nearby for the parents, everyone is all for paying a coach 8,9,10M per year - WHATEVER IT TAKES - no questions asked. A professor at the school - ha - you get table scraps. They will contribute millions annually to build facilities. The better they are the better your players. WHATEVER IT TAKES. No one questions spending money on the facilities. It's done at the sacrifice of any and all other parts of education in the states. Why would a whole family up and move from Hawaii to Alabaster, AL ? WHATEVER IT TAKES.

And this trickles down to high school - WHATEVER IT TAKES. Take a look at facilities at Hoover or Saraland or Auburn High School in AL. In GA to Warner Robins or Colquitt County or Lee County or Cartersville - OMG Cartersville what a setup they have. They recruit kids and bring them into the city and get parents jobs. How do you think Trevor Lawerence got there. WHATEVER IT TAKES.

And even Jim Harbaugh is trying to get in on the action down here. 

It is a whole different animal down here.
I like to see them do well, but I'd never donate for sports facilities, only academic.  And I think our local media are pretty good at finding anything and everything shady that my school has done/does.  There have been plenty of coaches that have learned the hard way that our media is looking to get scoops, not get friendly with the program.

Maybe that is a difference in mindset.  Another grad from the same school, I would guess sees it similar to how I see it because I don't know anyone that I went to college with that has a mindset like this post, and it probably hurts recruiting.

Of course some kids talk. That’s how schools get caught. Usually they don’t though. Why would any kid who was enriched speak out against they system? That doesn’t make any sense at all. 
Maurice Clarett did after he washed out.

The big recruits get "hookups" in one form or another.  Was't reggie bush living off campus with a new car?

I like to see them do well, but I'd never donate for sports facilities, only academic.  And I think our local media are pretty good at finding anything and everything shady that my school has done/does.  There have been plenty of coaches that have learned the hard way that our media is looking to get scoops, not get friendly with the program.

Maybe that is a difference in mindset.  Another grad from the same school, I would guess sees it similar to how I see it because I don't know anyone that I went to college with that has a mindset like this post, and it probably hurts recruiting.
Your local media has no idea who is getting paid. How would they? 

Maurice Clarett did after he washed out.

The big recruits get "hookups" in one form or another.  Was't reggie bush living off campus with a new car?
I’m sure.

All 4-5 star recruits get hooked up in some way. Some obviously more than others. Elite 5-star kids are pulling down over 100k. 

Your local media has no idea who is getting paid. How would they? 
How would they know kids were getting homework done for them.  How do they know about sexual improprieties by football players.

I don't know, maybe they look into stuff like journalists used to do?

They pay the most money.  Seriously. 
:goodposting: This, first and foremost.

High school football is huge and for many of the SEC and ACC schools the nearby NFL teams are secondary, they (NFL teams) don’t have a long history of success. If there is a NFL team nearby
I live in SC, grew up in OH. Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights in OH is >>>>>>> than it is here. No question. I get guys wanting to come here to play from HS but there was always more talent at the HS level than what I've seen around here at the local level.

• Better talent in the deep south and most kids play close to home. 
  • It's prioritized over just about everything, including academics
  • They have large alumni bases who are willing to give lots of money
  • Tradition
  • Weather
  • Hotter women
The last 4 I'd agree with, the first two, not so much. Kids do stay close to home, Jadeveon Clowney played right down the road from here and specifically chose USC because it was only an hour & half away.

The local media figured it out in the smu case. They did an interview with the AD. Asked him about an envelope with his initials on it which he was not prepared for. 

How would they know kids were getting homework done for them.  How do they know about sexual improprieties by football players.

I don't know, maybe they look into stuff like journalists used to do?
Because women are willing to talk about the sexual improprieties and abuse done to them? That seems fairly obvious. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Who is talking about an enriched kid ratting, how about his old girlfriend he cheated on?  Do you really think that could go on for years without somebody blowing it. come on man.

People talk.

There is some truth about the bevy of beautiful babes in the deep south that other areas of the country cannot match.  That's intoxicating stuff for young gladiators. 

Sun + money = hot young ladies. 

Who is talking about an enriched kid ratting, how about his old girlfriend he cheated on?  Do you really think that could go on for years without somebody blowing it. come on man.

People talk.
I’m sure they do know. Are they reporting it to the ncaa? Do you think the ncaa is even listening? 

You have to be living in some kind of other world to think these kids aren’t getting paid. Just read the article I linked. 

Because women are willing to talk about the sexual impropritirs and abuse given to them? That seems fairly obvious. 
Only speaking of what I've seen from Minnesota.  We've fired coaches.  And it has probably affected recruitment.

Keep replying, eventually I'll figure out what your point is.

• Better talent in the deep south and most kids play close to home. 
  • It's prioritized over just about everything, including academics
  • They have large alumni bases who are willing to give lots of money
  • Tradition
  • Weather
  • Hotter women
All true, missing one other component, the NFL.  The kids today all think they can play at the next level even though just a small percentage ever will.  They see the success the SEC has in when it comes to where players are taken in the NFL Draft.   In their eyes it's the best shot.

Only speaking of what I've seen from Minnesota.  We've fired coaches.  And it has probably affected recruitment.

Keep replying, eventually I'll figure out what your point is.
I don’t care if you get it or not. I’m not here to help the obtuse. 

I’m sure they do know. Are they reporting it to the ncaa? Do you think the ncaa is even listening? 

You have to be living in some kind of other world to think these kids aren’t getting paid. Just read the article I linked. 
Who wrote the article?

And you have to be living in another world if you think anytime $$$$$$$ and kids are a combo it will not work.

How many QB's have we seen transfer because it wasn't like they were told?  No pissed off parents?  The kid is cool with being lied to?

Piss off just one kid and have him.......Saban promised me.... 

They're all getting paid.  If anyone with half an open mind spent 15 minutes around these environments there would never be any doubt.  Why would 20 year old stud athletes come to the RV of a 65 year old man after a big game on campus?  Yet it happens every week in one case I know, um sorry, "have heard of" and I'm sure is similar most everywhere else.  Drop cash in the bathroom wastebasket and walk out.  Later on, someone goes in and the cash is gone.  Where is the paper trail and who has anything to gain by saying anything?  And that's just weekly chump change, that doesn't address the cars etc.

Who wrote the article?

And you have to be living in another world if you think anytime $$$$$$$ and kids are a combo it will not work.

How many QB's have we seen transfer because it wasn't like they were told?  No pissed off parents?  The kid is cool with being lied to?

Piss off just one kid and have him.......Saban promised me.... 
His name is in the byline. Steven Godfrey. Well-respected journalist. 

Not trying to be a #### but I don’t know what to tell you if you think these kids aren’t getting paid. It’s like believing in Santa. 

They have the biggest stadiums, the most money, alumni willing to spend the most money, and access to the best talent.  They also have the best facilities (because they have the most money and are willing to spend that money).  They have better coaches because they have better facilities, access to better players, and pay more money.   

Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Notre Dame can get kids because of the above too.  They have a crap ton of money, big stadiums, lots of alumni and are willing to spend that money.

They're all getting paid.  If anyone with half an open mind spent 15 minutes around these environments there would never be any doubt.  Why would 20 year old stud athletes come to the RV of a 65 year old man after a big game on campus?  Yet it happens every week in one case I know, um sorry, "have heard of" and I'm sure is similar most everywhere else.  Drop cash in the bathroom wastebasket and walk out.  Later on, someone goes in and the cash is gone.  Where is the paper trail and who has anything to gain by saying anything?  And that's just weekly chump change, that doesn't address the cars etc.
Of course. It’s the most obvious thing in the world. 

He thinks you're baiting the forum to say because of slavery
Lol seriously? 

Thats really dumb. And it never crossed my mind to tell you the truth. 

In fact, if my memory is correct, Alabama, Mississippi, LSU and Tennessee were all football national champions in the 50s and 60s with teams without a single black player. 

Regarding journalists uncovering the pay to play, as was the case in SMU...journalism has changed considerably since 1985 when Dale Hansen provided a smoking gun to SMU coach/AD on camera. Journalism has been weakened greatly in this country with newspapers dying out and journalistic standards being diluted because blogs and entertainment based websites posing as journalists don't play by the standards of 20+ years ago. Eyeballs and mouse clicks are all that matter and the great investigative minds are swayed by that because they have to make a living too.  Who is paying the salary of the sleuths who will take down college sports because schools are paying players?  And let's not forget we have a president who dinegrates journalists and newspapers daily.  That doesn't help.

Also also...look what happened to the Dallas Herald after it ran stories on the SMU scandal.  SMU boosters pulled ad revenue in droves and put the paper out of business by 1991.  So...armed with that, what paper (among those few still in business) are going to risk their business by taking down the local football team?  

And speaking of Tennessee, what happened to them? Obviously I don’t follow them closely but 20 years ago they were always in the conversation for best team. Can’t they recruit anymore on the level of the other Deep South teams? 

And speaking of Tennessee, what happened to them? Obviously I don’t follow them closely but 20 years ago they were always in the conversation for best team. Can’t they recruit anymore on the level of the other Deep South teams? 
They had Alvin Kamara and still sucked.  Coaching matters.  Dooly and Butch Jones were awful hires.  So was Lane Kiffin.  They should have kept Fat Fulmer.

Tennessee HS football talent isn't on the same level as AL, GA, MS, LA, etc.  With the right coach they could improve, but they are hurt as bad as anyone by Alabama being this strong with Saban.  Tennessee used to pull a lot of the kids from north Alabama, and even north Mississippi.  That doesn't happen so much these days.

All this talk about how it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$, yet nobody can actualy break it down on how it actually works. All these years and no kid ever blew the whistle on Alabama?  I find that hard to believe.

Saban with no fear of being busted, really?

So how does it realy work, well?
Alabama and Auburn ratted each other out in the 90's - and both schools realized how bad the situation could become. Although Auburn fared better than Alabama in the short term during that stretch - the house cleaning  did set the stage for Nick Saban.  Right now it's like USA-Russia Cold War days and mutually assured destruction - they both have weapons pointed at each other and won't blow the whistle. 

Saban has flown close to the sun a few times - but seems to get away - Look up Albert Means and Logan Young. Or Rueben Foster - which may still get him and Auburn.

During the detente they have finally worked out the bagman system and it has been working. Where it hasn't is at Ole Miss recently - not sure who called in the dogs on that one but it was pretty obvious that it's doubtful that it took too much snooping around.

If you were an 17 year old stud football player in high school were would you want to spend the next 4 years.  Florida or Michigan?

Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace/Miami U

Goolius Boozler/Miami U

Cosgrove Shumway/Clemson

Cartoons Plural/Virginia Tech

Bismo Funyuns/Florida State

Decatholac Mango / Georgia Tech University

Elipses Corter / Alabama

Nyquillus Dillwad / LSU

D'Pez Poopsie / Ole Miss

Quackadilly Blip / Auburn University

Fartrell Cluggins / Arkansas University

Creme De La Creme/ Vanderbilt University

Strunk Flugget/ University of South Carolina

D'marcus Williams/ Georgia

Saggitarriut Jefferspin/ Texas AM

(The player formerly known as mousecop)/ Missouri

J'Dinklage Morgoon/ South Florida

Leoz Maxwell Jilliumz/ East Carolina

Marmadune Shazbot/ Tulane University
Take that to the Stop with the Effed up names thread, sport.

1. Weather - it is warmer so more kids are active and football can be a year round sport

2. Poverty - leads to more desperation to make it big in sports

After those two, it is a snowball effect of success breeding more success.

Last I heard they are the top choice of this 5 star guy here where I am. Supposed to be the best lineman. I am sure they pay well too. 

Regarding journalists uncovering the pay to play, as was the case in SMU...journalism has changed considerably since 1985 when Dale Hansen provided a smoking gun to SMU coach/AD on camera. Journalism has been weakened greatly in this country with newspapers dying out and journalistic standards being diluted because blogs and entertainment based websites posing as journalists don't play by the standards of 20+ years ago. Eyeballs and mouse clicks are all that matter and the great investigative minds are swayed by that because they have to make a living too.  Who is paying the salary of the sleuths who will take down college sports because schools are paying players?  And let's not forget we have a president who dinegrates journalists and newspapers daily.  That doesn't help.

Also also...look what happened to the Dallas Herald after it ran stories on the SMU scandal.  SMU boosters pulled ad revenue in droves and put the paper out of business by 1991.  So...armed with that, what paper (among those few still in business) are going to risk their business by taking down the local football team?  
Not to mention the reverse of this, which is access journalism. Nobody wants to be the one in a competitive journalism environment to get shut out because they cheesed off the coach. The "reporter" essentially becomes a stenographer for the program.

They are competing against other teams that spend/recruit on their level or higher.   That's where coaching matters.   Have they had a decent coach there since Fulmer?

Schools have multiple bag men. They literally drop envelopes of cash off to the aunts or uncles or whatever and it filters down. Better kids get bigger bags. Some players you give bags to don’t go to your school. That’s ok. Others will. Kids talk too. So you don’t get one kid but he speaks you up to another and puts you on there. 

Great read: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview
They should just go to Bitcoin. Would save a lot of trouble. 

Also bagmen don't use burners anymore.  Dual SIM iPhones were God's gift to the baggie.

Also saves on electronic waste for the planet. 

I am going to answer this question and I am serious about my answers (skip down to the bullets if you don't want the side story):

At the end of September I took a trip to Dallas and went to watch a random, nothing special about it, Saturday late afternoon football game with 6-7th graders.  That place had more people and equipment and energy than some small college games I have been to...for 12 year year olds.  It is not an underestimation by any means when people generally say it is an institution in these areas.  Its' like a multiple state version of Kentucky Wildcat or Duke basketball.  Anyway, here's the reasons:

• Nick Saban coaches in the south.  Simple and cheeky answer but it is real and a huge reason. The coaching ability and draw he brought to the SEC and then Alabama in particular set a huge stage where everyone immediately realized that they needed the best of the best coaches...and it wasn't good enough..so they needed the best of the best players...and facilities...and program boosters, etc, etc.  It became a magnet and is heavily influenced in a time where social media exploded.
  • Social media. We all know the world we live in today and the impacts of social media and social media has become the catalyst for the snowball effect we now see. The great schools are front and centered and get the pub and the things that attract the best players that want to live the social media version of how they think life is (and is for some of them).  So, the winning schools get the best players which, combined with the best coaches and amazing facilities, creates more wins, which brings in more great players...its a perpetual motion machine of success in the south. 
  • Weather and venues. You have a little bit of everything in the south. Great weather for the season, beaches, country (for those who like that "big but not too big feel or like to get away), lakes, rivers. Did you know that the Carolinas, Georgia, etc have world class water rafting venues and a high concentration of lakes that are super accessible?  
  • The "new hip" cities are in the south. New York and Chicago will always be New York and Chicago but when you look at the cities that are exploding  with the young adult population who are searching for the Oh-So-Trendy food, bars, town atmospheres, retro/rustic/industrial scenes, distilleries, etc, etc, there are cities like Nashville, Arlington, Marietta, and so on peppered all over the South and they are ideally suited with the weather for outdoor venues most of the year that tie directly to the food, night life, out door activities.
  • The women.  Say what you want, but pound for pound, you just see some amazingly beautiful (and nice) women in the South. It is probably no stretch of the truth to say that the southern Belle accent equipped by many of these women should require a "license to carry". It is downright dangerous. 
There you have it. Simple really.  Lots of perfect storm things just happen to be in the right place at the right time.  Settle in. Probably going to be this way for a while. 

If Alabama is such a dream destination, why do they need to bribe out-of-state students to come there? Shouldn’t they be lining up for the beautiful weather and gorgeous women?

From the college admissions thread...

Alabama out of state tuition: $30,030

Presidential Scholarship (32-36 ACT and >3.5 GPA Cumulative): $26,000 for four years. 

That leaves a net annual tuition cost of $4,030. 

The last 4 I'd agree with, the first two, not so much. Kids do stay close to home, Jadeveon Clowney played right down the road from here and specifically chose USC because it was only an hour & half away.
I’m not sure what you disagree with then - I said they play close to home which is the exact example you gave.

Southern California has also produced the two top high school programs of the last 5 years, Mater Dei and St John Bosco (with all apologies to IMG Academy.)

But...some of those players go to Alabama and other southern schools. They're out recruiting our local schools.
Per this link:  https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/18/16780636/best-recruits-2018-state-rankings

over 40% of 2018 blue chip college recruits came from Florida, Texas and Georgia. California is ranked second with 13.2% of blue chippers, but it’s population is twice that of Florida, which individually generated 17.8% of blue chip recruits. These are the only four states with any dominance on this list. The fifth place team is Ohio with 3.3%.

If Alabama is such a dream destination, why do they need to bribe out-of-state students to come there? Shouldn’t they be lining up for the beautiful weather and gorgeous women?

From the college admissions thread...

Alabama out of state tuition: $30,030

Presidential Scholarship (32-36 ACT and >3.5 GPA Cumulative): $26,000 for four years. 

That leaves a net annual tuition cost of $4,030. 
They’re trying to lure smart kids from Texas (and other states) who would otherwise go to UT or A&M (or comparable state university) and pay in state tuition.  They can’t rely on Alabama high school students with good grades and test scores to fill out a class of that size, and they would have trouble attracting top out of state students if they charge out of state tuition. 

Speaking for Texas.  TYFA.  Kids were on TV (Friday Night Tykes).

My kids ran a high school playbook from the age of 4.  It may have been limited to running plays at that age, but nevertheless.  Older kid for 5 years younger kid 4 years.  4 practices a week (even age 4), 2 hours a night.  Kiss your weekends goodbye.  Spring, Fall, camp in Summer.  Basketball with football team if time allowed.  2 state championships, 2 runner ups.

Had to pull them both out.  Not for any concerns about concussions, etc... but rather the insanity of it.

For some families in TX, it isn't a stretch to call it life or death.

They put all their chips into their kids athletic ability.  Mom and Dad the size of Pacquiao?  Who cares.. their kid is gonna be the next Lawrence Taylor.

Honestly a sad thing to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread