What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

For the morning

1    .    14    ---    D_House
1    .    15        General Malaise
2    .    1        General Malaise
2    .    2    ---    D_House
2    .    3    ---    Eephus
2    .    4    ---    The Dreaded Marco
2    .    5    ---    mphtrilogy
2    .    6    ---    Northern Voice

While I love Spotify et al, I noticed that it's led to me having a tougher time keeping track of what I've listened to for these drafts lately, compared to when I'd just go through my CDs or mp3 library. That contributes to my lateness with these picks. (#ptts)

I was super late to the party on Spotify, but this was one of the first albums I remember playing over and over on it, and I keep coming back to it still. Synths rule everything around me, and I love everything about their sound.

1.03 CHVRCHES, Every Open Eye
On my list, great record 👍

The Weeknd - House of Balloons (2011)

Incorporating elements of hip hop, trip-hop, R&B and indie rock, this stunning debut was also shrouded in mystery as the marketing surrounding this mixtape’s  release purposely hid Abel Tesfaye’s identity. As far as the music, the production is dark and synth heavy and the lyrics relentlessly nihilistic. Now he’s a huge star with huge singles and celebrity love interests but I frequently go back to this one for jams like the ones below. 

High for This

Wicked Games

The Morning

The Weeknd - House of Balloons (2011)

Incorporating elements of hip hop, trip-hop, R&B and indie rock, this stunning debut was also shrouded in mystery as the marketing surrounding this mixtape’s  release purposely hid Abel Tesfaye’s identity. As far as the music, the production is dark and synth heavy and the lyrics relentlessly nihilistic. Now he’s a huge star with huge singles and celebrity love interests but I frequently go back to this one for jams like the ones below. 

High for This

Wicked Games

The Morning
Damn I thought this one would slip farther, great pickup 

General Malaise said:
I'm not nearly qualified enough to participate in this as I stopped "buying albums" about the same time this decade started (and let my long time relationship with Rolling Stone Mag go a few years earlier) but I could muddle through this with timely picks should you need a replacement.  

#Scab
How sure are we GM is actually jumping in here :lol:

How sure are we GM is actually jumping in here :lol:
Oops - I thought I saw a post that said he was jumping in.  
I thought so too but looks like he never responded to my post suggesting he get in at the end. If we skip him, then D_House said to skip him, that would put @Eephus on the clock and since he's commish he can decide if he's going to pick and push this forward or wait things out. 

Tasker sent me a message this morning, if we get to him, he can be skipped, he's in Toronto today (and I'm not :( ).

Oops - I thought I saw a post that said he was jumping in.  
You did. He offered in lieu of Abrantes to make picks for him and NV responded to wait for Abrantes and jump in at the end of the round if he wanted. I seconded that. There were no further expressions. 
Let's move it along. 

@D_House can pick another and @General Malaise can jump in whenever if he wants to.

ETA:  or I can go now

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought so too but looks like he never responded to my post suggesting he get in at the end. If we skip him, then D_House said to skip him, that would put @Eephus on the clock and since he's commish he can decide if he's going to pick and push this forward or wait things out. 

Tasker sent me a message this morning, if we get to him, he can be skipped, he's in Toronto today (and I'm not :( ).
I'm not sure you understand how the power structure of this draft works.  

2.02 or 2.03 - Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory (2012)

Need something loud and fast on my island.  This one checks those boxes but has the hooks and melodies that hold up for repeated listens.

I've never posted in the "Random Reasons You Know You're OLD" thread on this board.  In fact, I don't think I've ever even read it because I don't need to restate the obvious.  But if I did post, Cloud Nothings would be involved.  We saw them touring behind Attack on Memory.  The gig had been booked before the album broke so it was still in a small 300 person venue.  We couldn't get right in front of the stage but were behind around five ranks of fans which is no big deal for me since I'm 6'2".  When it got to the "I thought I would be more than this" in the chorus, everybody was fist pumping along and I swear everybody in front of me had those black X underage marks on the back of their hands.  I had turned 52 about a week earlier :bag: .

No Future/No Past

Wasted Days

Our Plans

I swear everybody in front of me had those black X underage marks on the back of their hands.  I had turned 52 about a week earlier :bag:
I'd be sadder I was out of the loop and didn't have a high five among the bunch.

Or maybe that's the maturation process?

Nah, high fivin'. 

Need something loud and fast on my island.  This one checks those boxes but has the hooks and melodies that hold up for repeated listens.

I've never posted in the "Random Reasons You Know You're OLD" thread on this board.  In fact, I don't think I've ever even read it because I don't need to restate the obvious.  But if I did post, Cloud Nothings would be involved.  We saw them touring behind Attack on Memory.  The gig had been booked before the album broke so it was still in a small 300 person venue.  We couldn't get right in front of the stage but were behind around five ranks of fans which is no big deal for me since I'm 6'2".  When it got to the "I thought I would be more than this" in the chorus, everybody was fist pumping along and I swear everybody in front of me had those black X underage marks on the back of their hands.  I had turned 52 about a week earlier :bag: .

No Future/No Past

Wasted Days

Our Plans
My favourite from this album is Stay Useless

2.03  The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream (2014)

These guys have 3 great albums that qualify for this draft but this is my favorite.

An Ocean In Between the Waves

Under the Pressure

Disappearing

As our friend, @Pitchfork said, " If Lost in the Dream is unapologetic in its dad-rock reverence, it’s dad-rock for people who are too ####ed up and broken to even think of having kids".

And this is best played very loud----loud enough for even Mark Kozelek to hear.

@mphtrilogy

Rd 2 - The Beths - Future Me Hates Me

This one hit immediately but is also a grower. Three Kiwi jazz-trained musicians start a band and create a perfect 90s-influenced power pop record. I was introduced to it here in a song draft and had it high on my 2018 year end list but it’s probably my most-listened to of 2019.

Future Me Hates Me

Whatever

Not Running
:excited:   :wub:

I'm pretty sure I get credit for introducing this one to the FFA. 

landrys hat said:
1.06 White Denim - D (2011)

At the Farm

Love these guys.  One of my top bands of the decade.  So many good songs on this one, could be their greatest hits record.

@Steve Tasker up next
Thanks for this.  I was given this band as a rec years ago and forgot about them until this post. Been on heavy rotation ever since.  Much appreciated.

Let's move it along. 

@D_House can pick another and @General Malaise can jump in whenever if he wants to.

ETA:  or I can go now
Gosh guys, I'm sorry!  I didn't know you all were counting on me to do this.  I am going to give it a go though, even though as I stated, I don't really listen to 'albums' anymore.  Everything for me is Pandora/Spotify and I don't even pay for it.  I'm a schmo in the biggest sense of the word.

But if you'll have me, I'll give it my all!

Gosh guys, I'm sorry!  I didn't know you all were counting on me to do this.  I am going to give it a go though, even though as I stated, I don't really listen to 'albums' anymore.  Everything for me is Pandora/Spotify and I don't even pay for it.  I'm a schmo in the biggest sense of the word.

Your island awaits

You can throw your two picks out there at anytime.

2-5

Any Black Keys is good Black Keys, El Camino - 2011 is my pick for the Decades Representation.  A top 10 record of the Decade for me...
My friend saw them a couple months ago, and said it was one of the loudest shows she has been to in a long time.

Assuming I can go (and I'm really rushing these but have given them thought) here's what I'm going with.

1.15  Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit

Now, my very favorite song of hers isn't even on this album - but because of this album, I discovered my favorite song of hers and it's this one:  Avant Gardner.  What I love about her is that she is so simple yet so brilliant.  I am a huge HUGE fan of artists who can self-deprecate and this kid does it about as well as anybody in the industry.  She comes across as modest and meek but boy howdy, would I hate to be on the wrong end of one of her songs.  "Pedestrian at Best" was what hooked me first.  I mean....c'mon!  This is outstanding: 

I love you, I hate you, I'm on the fence, it all depends
Whether I'm up or down, I'm on the mend, transcending all reality
I like you, despise you, admire you
What are we gonna do when everything all falls through?
I must confess, I've made a mess of what should be a small success
But I digress, at least I've tried my very best, I guess
This, that, the other, why even bother?
It won't be with me on my deathbed, but I'll still be in your head

And the way she delivers this is phenomenal.  She's taking pages out of others' books and she's unapologetic about it.  She's refreshing.  Where does she come up with this:

Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
Give me all your money, and I'll make some origami, honey  :lmao:
I think you're a joke, but I don't find you very funny

I look up to past generations for their musical work and pioneering ways, but I'm also looking at the generations below and hold Ms. Barnett up as an exemplar of the genius that is still emerging in this world.  

Mildly surprised this is still on the board.

Another one where I instantly think of a concert. I was able to get absolute front row for these guys because I loved the opening act and most of the crowd didn't really care about him, maybe not the best fit style wise but perfect for me...  Anyway front row was key as I was a bit older for the crowd. Not Eephus aged but mid-30s and the onslaught of bodies started on the first note of the first song and didn't end until they were finished. 

There will be a lot of Canadian bands on my island (spoiler alert) but these two guys who make enough noise for ten people are the most essential 

2.06 - Japandroids - Celebration Rock (2012)

The House That Heaven Built

Younger Us

Evil's Sway

Assuming I can go (and I'm really rushing these but have given them thought) here's what I'm going with.

1.15  Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit

Now, my very favorite song of hers isn't even on this album - but because of this album, I discovered my favorite song of hers and it's this one:  Avant Gardner.  What I love about her is that she is so simple yet so brilliant.  I am a huge HUGE fan of artists who can self-deprecate and this kid does it about as well as anybody in the industry.  She comes across as modest and meek but boy howdy, would I hate to be on the wrong end of one of her songs.  "Pedestrian at Best" was what hooked me first.  I mean....c'mon!  This is outstanding:  
Best songwriter of this generation. Plays a hell of a guitar too.

2.01 Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze 2013

Title track nails it.  For me, this is the kind of music that was invented for old stoners like me.  Give me 9 minutes of subdued, easy meandering music with not too much going on but just enough to keep my head bobbing.  This is the kind of music I listen to when I'm going to be cooking for hours in the kitchen.  Mellow me out, keep the mood chill and let me focus on not screwing up the recipe too much.  

Girl Called Alex  is another long, meandering journey where I can just nod along and enjoy.  Vile seems well above his years in his music as if he's packed double the years most have at 40.  He's got other songs from other albums I love too, but give me this one any day of the week and twice when I'm cooking gumbo.

We're twenty picks in and haven't broken the seal on 2010, 2017 and 2019 yet
I almost did but was afraid with the War on Drugs and my Barnett pick that Vile would be snatched from me.  I need him on my island.  Especially if I'm cooking over a fire for hours.

2.03  The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream (2014)

These guys have 3 great albums that qualify for this draft but this is my favorite.

An Ocean In Between the Waves

Under the Pressure

Disappearing

As our friend, @Pitchfork said, " If Lost in the Dream is unapologetic in its dad-rock reverence, it’s dad-rock for people who are too ####ed up and broken to even think of having kids".

And this is best played very loud----loud enough for even Mark Kozelek to hear.

@mphtrilogy
Back when I wasn't egregiously fat and would occasionally go for a jog, this was my preferred soundtrack.  Great choice.  It's the reason why I took Vile so early.  

Best part about this for me is finding new music to listen to.  I get a little overwhelmed and lost in the existing music threads, so this is perfect for me.  I'm invested and will now have new albums and artists to discover.  :thumbup:

Rd 2 Fear Fun by Father John Misty

year: 2012

genre: indie folk, indie rock 

...it’s positively kaleidoscopic: less content to be moody and pretty and more intent on getting up in your face. Tillman’s warped interpretations and strange combinations of SoCal pop history seem to mirror his own narcotized state. - Pitchfork

Imagine an angel being cast out of heaven to live a profoundly weird life in Laurel Canyon with nothing but a stack of Neil Young and Henry Nilsson LPs to guide him. - AV Club

Hollywood Forever Cemetery

I’m Writing a Novel

Nancy From Now On

Users who are viewing this thread