What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

Also, in all honesty @Man of Constant Sorrow - despite me gravitating to the movie threads more, I think the best thing about the FFA is probably this collection of people in the music drafts.   So many smart people that have a passion for and keep up on music.  There is not a draft that goes by that I don't get a new band or song from as I listen to the playlists.  

I don't say it enough, but these drafts and the people participating are amazing.  

I left my love in San Francisco

"That's okay, I was bored anyway"

I left my love in a field

"That's okay, I was born in L.A."

And we're restricting on this field
That Jesus came from Israel
Isaac followed the sacred cow
So not to wake up, sparrow splashing mud

But that was many years from now
And I hope from here on now
I always seemed to want to shout
Your eyes are like a cup of tea and sending into the sun with me

You swimming upstream or just tuning into new sensations
I was broken and we're broken

Also, in all honesty @Man of Constant Sorrow - despite me gravitating to the movie threads more, I think the best thing about the FFA is probably this collection of people in the music drafts.   So many smart people that have a passion for and keep up on music.  There is not a draft that goes by that I don't get a new band or song from as I listen to the playlists.  

I don't say it enough, but these drafts and the people participating are amazing.  
Yeah. I loved being a part of the most recent palooka draft.

If I had more free time, I would have joined this one too, but I'm way too busy with some family responsibilities right now. When things settle down, I plan to get more involved.

I  posted earlier that this decade is my worst blind spot. While true, I still have a decent list of favs that have not been drafted. That kinda surprises me. Not because I think they are the best, but I didn't expect to know that many from this decade.

I also need to delve into the unknowns. I'll hit up some of the playlists a little later.

@General Malaise - how metal do you get?   I have a couple answers in that realm, but honestly Danny Carey would have been my answer before Peart's passing.  I am obsessed with that guy.
Tool is about as heavy as I want to get these days and to be honest, I wasn't even going to bother with their new album until our Spotify playlist split them out.  I was shopping for groceries at 8am this morning when one of their new songs came on and I was immediately reminded at how incredible Carey is behind the drums.  

If I'm being honest, most of my "skips" thus far have been heavy metal songs.  Just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  

Rd 11 Teen Dream by Beach House (2010)

genre: dream pop

Recorded in a converted church-...echoes with a dark lushness that's more like a beach mansion than a mere house. The slightly squalid sound quality of Beach House and Devotion had a cloistered charm, as if the band had to record those albums not just on the cheap, but in secret. On Teen Dream, however, the hugeness previously implied in Legrand's lyrics and luscious vocals is made real, like tuning in Beach House at their full frequency.  - All Music

...supplying an intense but transparent sheen of iridescent sound, marking an album whose quality is almost instantly evident. Better than anything in recent memory, the album typifies the difference between sonic interference as an instrumental tool and a blanket to hide beneath. - Slant

Ten Mile Stereo

Zebra

Norway

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching up with song picks and write ups

Rd 8 - Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream (2012)

I came for Adorn, and stayed for a well rounded song cycle that deals primarily with romantic love. There’s echoes of Marvin Gaye in the lyrics and sound (again, particularly on Adorn) but Miguel’s greatest sonic influence is Prince.

Adorn

The Thrill

Where’s the Fun in Forever

Rd 9 - Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book (2016)

Gospel rap! This album exudes joy. The joy of love, faith, hope, fatherhood. Chance takes full advantage of his connections to land guest spots from big names like Kanye and Lil Wayne but also makes room for up and coming Chi-towners SABA and Jamila Woods (more on her below). 

Angels

No Problem

Smoke Break

Rd 10 - Jamila Woods - LEGACY! LEGACY! (2019)

Concept album wherein each song named after the African-American artist that inspired it. Jazz, soul, snd hip-hop influences permeate. Jamila’s voice is like a sweeter Erykah Badu but she can also rap and is an award-winning poet with lyrics to match.

GIOVANNI

ZORA

BALDWIN

General Malaise said:
New one for me this morning on the train:  Janelle Monae - Mushrooms and Roses.  Wow, I'm not sure what sorts of narcotics she's on, but I want some!  I'll be doing a deeper dive on her.  
She’s young yet and branching out into movies - she was in Hidden Figures and Moonlight. She has the looks for film. We’ll be seeing a lot of her.

12.11 - Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I Had A Dream That You Were Mine - 2016

There was a Samsung commercial on the television and the song made me jump out of my seat. "That's the Walkmen," I announced, not recognizing the song. But that sound! Inimitable down to its imitation-prone singer. I live in a nameless town no need to wander around. I live in a nameless town. Black out. Fade to black. I'd never heard the song, and I was immediately happy at the possibility that they had gotten back together. I looked, instantly finding out it was Hamilton Leithauser, their lead singer, collaborating with Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij. What I'd also missed was they had cut an album together. This of course, became instant joy thinking about the possibilities of the guys getting the band back together, or in this case, maybe recording at Marcata Studios, which the Walkmen had designed and Ezra Koenig cut his teeth as in intern? Well, that was a wish too far -- The Studios were purchased by Columbia University in an eminent domain proceeding and famous case, actually -- but the album sounds great.

And it holds songwriting-wise. Rostam got out of Vampire before Vampire collapsed into a jam band -- maybe Rostam was the catalyst behind the songwriting after all -- and Hamilton is doing his best urban crooner/Bob Dylan hybrid thing here. It's a delight if you love the two aforementioned bands, and I do. It's definitely the Walkmen at their ethereal best over Vampire's arrangements, Rostam's strings. It sounds so familiar, yet it's really a far out there album if you grew up how we grew up, ya know? Rock crooner sings while world music expert composes, arranges.

Just an album that feels worthy of a moment. Or at a least a very beautiful commercial during a football game, anyway.

A 1000 Times

In A Black Out

1959 (ft Angel Deerodorian)

Rd 12 Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr. and the cast of Hamilton (2015)

genre: show tunes and hip-hop

I can attest that the intrinsic intellectual interest [Lin-Manuel Miranda] powers up here is so impressive it's exciting - Robert Christgu

But Hamilton wants to do everything: entertain, inform, be the biggest thing on the planet. The fact that it succeeds, I would argue, justifies its intrinsic dorkiness. After all, the show itself is a monument to overachievement and old-fashioned ambition.  - The Atlantc

Alexander Hamilton

Guns and Ships

You'll Be Back

Recorded in a converted church-...echoes with a dark lushness that's more like a beach mansion than a mere house. The slightly squalid sound quality of Beach House and Devotion had a cloistered charm, as if the band had to record those albums not just on the cheap, but in secret. On Teen Dream, however, the hugeness previously implied in Legrand's lyrics and luscious vocals is made real, like tuning in Beach House at their full frequency.  - All Music

...supplying an intense but transparent sheen of iridescent sound, marking an album whose quality is almost instantly evident. Better than anything in recent memory, the album typifies the difference between sonic interference as an instrumental tool and a blanket to hide beneath. - Slant

Ten Mile Stereo

Zebra

Norway
Hope you get to pack a pair of good headphones for this one. Definitely benefits from it, as opposed to letting it play on computer/phone speakers or whatever. Was on my list at one point. :thumbup:

Hope you get to pack a pair of good headphones for this one. Definitely benefits from it, as opposed to letting it play on computer/phone speakers or whatever. Was on my list at one point. :thumbup:
Absolutely. It screams for great headphones.

Rd 12 Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr. and the cast of Hamilton (2015)

genre: show tunes and hip-hop

I can attest that the intrinsic intellectual interest [Lin-Manuel Miranda] powers up here is so impressive it's exciting - Robert Christgu

But Hamilton wants to do everything: entertain, inform, be the biggest thing on the planet. The fact that it succeeds, I would argue, justifies its intrinsic dorkiness. After all, the show itself is a monument to overachievement and old-fashioned ambition.  - The Atlantc

Alexander Hamilton

Guns and Ships

You'll Be Back
This was not on my list. What an inspired pick, and no surprise because you've jumped it in genre before. A few years ago, my niece would have held you as hero for this.

Or, as El Floppo's favorite band would say...

That’s Amadeus from the movie. I found him amusing. Kanye isn’t amusing to me.
Oh, I don't have that at my instant recall. I was referring to somebody generally harmless. Hence, huge d-bag and egoist not excluding, generally a tabloid or social fodder type of person.

To gently disagree, Kanye's more in my world a "less harm, celeb foul" kind-of-deed type of guy when it comes to the press and i just typed out a million reasons how but then this is the PSF all of the sudden, and well...no fun. 

Scamp usage?

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?loc=ol_ue&typeofrhyme=wke&Word=scamp

This was not on my list. What an inspired pick, and no surprise because you've jumped it in genre before. A few years ago, my niece would have held you as hero for this.

Or, as El Floppo's favorite band would say...
Thanks, I always listen to a wide variety of music so I want my list to not just be rap, indie and rock but have some electronic and some world music, etc. To be honest, your pick is what made me think of it. I was working out this AM, between sets, I scrolled and saw your pick. I instantly was like, “oh #### how hasn’t anyone taken Hamilton yet.”  

Oh, I don't have that at my instant recall. I was referring to somebody generally harmless. Hence, huge d-bag and egoist not excluding, generally a tabloid or social fodder type of person.

To gently disagree, Kanye's more in my world a "less harm, celeb foul" kind-of-deed type of guy when it comes to the press and i just typed out a million reasons how but then this is the PSF all of the sudden, and well...no fun. 

Scamp usage?

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?loc=ol_ue&typeofrhyme=wke&Word=scamp
Maybe but him working with super churches is an odd move. I guess I am being overly harsh. He’s just always rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe but him working with super churches is an odd move. I guess I am being overly harsh. He’s just always rubbed me the wrong way.
Very fair. I was taking it to PM for examples of where he might be, so I could be educated. Around 2015-6 and my move out West, my following of the daily news and cultural zeitgeist is very, very suspect where it had once been very, very strong. I think I'll leave it at that. I was taking it to PMs, but I think we'd generally agree on rubbing the wrong way and speaking truth to power, but who knows? Many people might not see that line the same way.

Either way, I just being light-hearted with the "scamp" designation. Could be way more than that in people's eyes. 

Thanks, I always listen to a wide variety of music so I want my list to not just be rap, indie and rock but have some electronic and some world music, etc. To be honest, your pick is what made me think of it. I was working out this AM, between sets, I scrolled and saw your pick. I instantly was like, “oh #### how hasn’t anyone taken Hamilton yet.”  
I'll stop Hippling, but who is to say that for educated kids (basing this on what that I know and have met -- which is extremely limited) that it wasn't the album or cultural event of the decade? That's how it seemed for one teen in the family, anyway, and all seemed to enjoy it.

12.xx - The Tree of Forgiveness by John Prine (2018)

John Prine is one of my favorite songwriters of all time, and I want him on my island.  The Tree of Forgiveness is John's first album of original music since 2005. I love his songs whether they are funny, serious, sad, or happy. He is 73 now, has survived cancer twice, and is still making his music. His voice is a little different since part of his neck was removed from his cancer, but he still sounds like himself, and it sounds like he has learned to work with the difference in his vocals compared to 4 or 5 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the end of April.

Boundless Love

Knockin' on Your Screen Door

Summer's End

Egg & Daughter Nite, Lincoln Nebraska, 1967 (Crazy Bone)

Lonesome Friends of Science

Dammit...no idea where my IDLES pick went. :confused:

I'll throw a couple out there later..
There's another one you're sitting on that I'm just waiting on you for...lucky for you I have plenty of sad cuts to make on the island. Plus, 'twould feel tainted and ruin the coconuts pared-down land.

John Prine is one of my favorite songwriters of all time, and I want him on my island.  The Tree of Forgiveness is John's first album of original music since 2005. I love his songs whether they are funny, serious, sad, or happy. He is 73 now, has survived cancer twice, and is still making his music. His voice is a little different since part of his neck was removed from his cancer, but he still sounds like himself, and it sounds like he has learned to work with the difference in his vocals compared to 4 or 5 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the end of April.
My collegiate and trusted Southern friend's favorite singer-songwriter, too at the time. Very cool to see it here. Of course.

Boundless Love

Knockin' on Your Screen Door

Summer's End

Egg & Daughter Nite, Lincoln Nebraska, 1967 (Crazy Bone)

Lonesome Friends of Science
John Prine is the Man!

I'll stop Hippling, but who is to say that for educated kids (basing this on what that I know and have met -- which is extremely limited) that it wasn't the album or cultural event of the decade? That's how it seemed for one teen in the family, anyway, and all seemed to enjoy it.
It’s certainly up there. Easily the biggest musical of the decade and one that probably brought more people 40 and younger into musical theater than anything in a long time. For a musical to get as much hype and attention as it did in this age speaks to how powerful it was. 

Dammit...no idea where my IDLES pick went. :confused:

I'll throw a couple out there later..
There's another one you're sitting on that I'm just waiting on you for...lucky for you I have plenty of sad cuts to make on the island. Plus, 'twould feel tainted and ruin the coconuts pared-down land.
No idea which one you mean...lll take a pm- haven't had much time to think/prep for this and I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones I've loved over the years...

....oh...I might have an idea which one you mean. But pm me regardless.

Round 12

Album: Woodstock

Artist: Portugal. The Man

Release Year: 2017

Feel It Still

Mr. Lonely

Number One

This ain't your father's Woodstock. One of my first discoveries on Spotify, I was hooked right away even if it wasn't exactly in my wheelhouse musically. The music is very danceable but with an edge. I keep telling myself I'll explore the rest of their catalogue but haven't got around to it yet, and always want to put this one back on when I feel like hearing them.

Round 11

Album: Tape Deck Heart

Artist: Frank Turner
My friends, who were a couple, made it a point this decade to see every one of his shows that came to or around the Boston area. Apparently he's definitely political but not as austere as Billy Bragg or others and puts on a great punk/folk show. He entertains the modern punk's folk elbow with some useful grease.

Round 12

Album: Woodstock

Artist: Portugal. The Man

Release Year: 2017

Feel It Still
Very cool first song. I listened to part of the second and this record definitely sticks with as something to pursue during and after the draft. Right now my own personal last pick and Foxygen and my future pick (early A.M) EST because of fun yet extenuating circumstances is coming. But this has earned a spot among that trio. Cool stuff. 

Early A.M. EST - Jan 20th, 2020

13.05 - Nada Surf - You Know Who You Are - 2016

Just another outstanding release from another artist encumbered with popular one-hit wonder status that upon further examination reveals not only potential future artistic fineness, but also commercial viability and band longevity. This is surely a mid-tempo release that does little to recall the ferocity of its band's biggest hit, which was an unlikely plea for romance in a sea of libertine/communal dating advice as seen through the lens of an outsider. (Yes, it was a swipe at how disposable certain cultures had been about people within romantic relationships in the past, and how they continue to be, especially 40s and 50s American dating culture as imagined in nineties form.)

Okay, enough about the hit. It's been done. Click the spoiler for more info, takes, etc. This is a fine album. It's not going to get me to jump out my seat and start dancing, but it's had my head nodding on long drives enough for it to have burned an easy way into my heart over the past three years or so. It sounds fresh and doesn't really fall into any traps an older pop band who does what they do might fall into. This is definitely bar or driving music to nod to, to absorb, to let wash over one and envelop.  And the album is a grower. If I have a complaint, and a serious one for a click-happy generation that has no tangible media, it's that the ordering of the tracks seems like a mistake. A huge one. The truly exciting songs are at the end, aside from Friend Hospital, which is another standout. Anyway, I post this now because I go see them tomorrow. I won't get personal but it's a big deal to be able to go, simply put. The names of the tracks I'm posting tell the story in text. Herewith the tracks. 

Friend Hospital

Gold Sounds

Victory's Yours

From NPR, Jason Heller: "'Don't get me started about how hard it is to start or stay on track," Matthew Caws, singer-guitarist of Nada Surf, sings in "Cold To See Clear" — one of the many anthems that grace the group's eighth album, You Know Who You Are. Not that Caws and crew seem to have any problem staying on track themselves. The stalwart power-pop band has weathered the stormy fortunes of the music industry since making a splash with its 1996 hit "Popular."

Pitchfork won't review the album. They hate Nada. That's okay guys, you stick with the under 3 rating you gave Let Go back when your writers were lying about traversing the city to the Beastie Boys' To The Five Boroughs.

A more intelligent and dispassionate criticism can be found at Brooklyn Vegan here. http://www.brooklynvegan.com/why-we-left-nad/

"They’ve got quality material on all of their albums, but the main reason we didn’t think they belonged on the list is that Nada Surf’s post-major label career as a fruitful indie band didn’t feel as much like a story in 2014 as most of the bands we included. Nada Surf have been putting out well-received releases on Barsuk since 2002, and when we think about the great music that Barsuk’s put out over the past decade-plus, Nada Surf’s albums immediately come to mind. When most Burger Records fans think of Burger Records, I don’t think their first thought is The Muffs or the Superdrag-related The Lees of Memory, who both signed to the label this year. It’s been totally normal to see Nada Surf booked on an indie-leaning music festival like Bumbershoot (more than once), Waterloo’s SXSW parties, and Sasquatch for at least six years. And unlike “Flagpole Sitta” or “Sucked Out,” which still loom large over Harvey Danger and Superdrag’s respective careers, ask a younger music fan about Nada Surf and there’s a good chance they’re more likely to tell you about Lucky (2008) than “Popular.” A scroll through BrooklynVegan’s “Nada Surf” tag shows we’ve consistently covered them over the years, whereas the bands on the list haven’t gotten much coverage. We didn’t feel that highlighting Nada Surf to BV readers at this point would fit the theme of “band you didn’t think were the best ’90s bands,” because that just seemed like old news."

The nineties were my decade of my real cognizant youth as far as being part of a time or generational space. It's too bad some of the ideas of pop were anti-pop without art, weird pastiches of oftentimes nipple-gazing grunge but also maudlin and mawkish rock on the outskirts of pop as well. It wasn't a very good decade for pop, actually. IMO, punk had its garage/punk pop revival and disco had its own revival in Moby and the early to mid part of the decade. That's where you'll find good nineties music. In its shoegaze, its alternative, its punk, its own disco. Anyway, Nada Surf falls into alternative radio fodder, never alternative always fodder for critics. I mean, it was bad. The eighties snuck some punk and new wave and old soul through, the nineties never had a chance. So Nada Surf gets viewed in context here --  there are some other older stalwarts that put out a record this decade that I won't spotlight, but this is probably the album that makes the most sense and is eminently listenable. If the 90s had a pop band not marred by tragedy, surely these cats make cut as one of the finest.

Early A.M. EST - June 20th, 2020

Just another outstanding release from another artist encumbered with popular one-hit wonder status that upon further examination reveals not only potential future artistic fineness, but also commercial viability and band longevity. This is surely a mid-tempo release that does little to recall the ferocity of its band's biggest hit, which was an unlikely plea for romance in a sea of libertine/communal dating advice as seen through the lens of an outsider. (Yes, it was a swipe at how disposable certain cultures had been about people within romantic relationships in the past, and how they continue to be, especially 40s and 50s American dating culture as imagined in nineties form.)

Okay, enough about the hit. It's been done. Click the spoiler for more info, takes, etc. This is a fine album. It's not going to get me to jump out my seat and start dancing, but it's had my head nodding on long drives enough for it to have burned an easy way into my heart over the past three years or so. It sounds fresh and doesn't really fall into any traps an older pop band who does what they do might fall into. This is definitely bar or driving music to nod to, to absorb, to let wash over one and envelop.  And the album is a grower. If I have a complaint, and a serious one for a click generation that has no tangible media, it's that the ordering of the tracks seems like a mistake. A huge one. The truly exciting songs are at the end, aside from Friend Hospital, which is another standout. Anyway, I post this now because I go see them tomorrow. I won't get personal but it's a big deal to be able to go, simply put. The names of the tracks I'm posting tell the story in text. Herewith the tracks. 

Friend Hospital

Gold Sounds

Victory's Yours

Reveal hidden contents
From NPR, Jason Heller: "'Don't get me started about how hard it is to start or stay on track," Matthew Caws, singer-guitarist of Nada Surf, sings in "Cold To See Clear" — one of the many anthems that grace the group's eighth album, You Know Who You Are. Not that Caws and crew seem to have any problem staying on track themselves. The stalwart power-pop band has weathered the stormy fortunes of the music industry since making a splash with its 1996 hit "Popular."

Pitchfork won't review the album. They hate Nada. That's okay guys, you stick with the under 3 rating you gave Let Go back when your writers were lying about traversing the city to the Beastie Boys' To The Five Boroughs.

A more intelligent and dispassionate criticism can be found at Brooklyn Vegan here. http://www.brooklynvegan.com/why-we-left-nad/

"They’ve got quality material on all of their albums, but the main reason we didn’t think they belonged on the list is that Nada Surf’s post-major label career as a fruitful indie band didn’t feel as much like a story in 2014 as most of the bands we included. Nada Surf have been putting out well-received releases on Barsuk since 2002, and when we think about the great music that Barsuk’s put out over the past decade-plus, Nada Surf’s albums immediately come to mind. When most Burger Records fans think of Burger Records, I don’t think their first thought is The Muffs or the Superdrag-related The Lees of Memory, who both signed to the label this year. It’s been totally normal to see Nada Surf booked on an indie-leaning music festival like Bumbershoot (more than once), Waterloo’s SXSW parties, and Sasquatch for at least six years. And unlike “Flagpole Sitta” or “Sucked Out,” which still loom large over Harvey Danger and Superdrag’s respective careers, ask a younger music fan about Nada Surf and there’s a good chance they’re more likely to tell you about Lucky (2008) than “Popular.” A scroll through BrooklynVegan’s “Nada Surf” tag shows we’ve consistently covered them over the years, whereas the bands on the list haven’t gotten much coverage. We didn’t feel that highlighting Nada Surf to BV readers at this point would fit the theme of “band you didn’t think were the best ’90s bands,” because that just seemed like old news."

The nineties were my decade of my real cognizant youth as far as being part of a time or generational space. It's too bad some of the ideas of pop were anti-pop without art, weird pastiches of oftentimes nipple-gazing grunge but also maudlin and mawkish rock on the outskirts of pop as well. It wasn't a very good decade for pop, actually. IMO, punk had its garage/punk pop revival and disco had its own revival in Moby and the early to mid part of the decade. That's where you'll find good nineties music. In its shoegaze, its alternative, its punk, its own disco. Anyway, Nada Surf falls into alternative radio fodder, never alternative always fodder for critics. I mean, it was bad. The eighties snuck some punk and new wave and old soul through, the nineties never had a chance. So Nada Surf gets viewed in context here --  there are some other older stalwarts that put out a record this decade that I won't spotlight, but this is probably the album that makes the most sense and is eminently listenable. If the 90s had a pop band not marred by tragedy, surely these cats make cut as one of the finest.
God I wish it was June 20th.

Early A.M. EST - June 20th, 2020

Okay, enough about the hit. It's been done. Click the spoiler for more info, takes, etc. This is a fine album. It's not going to get me to jump out my seat and start dancing, but it's had my head nodding on long drives enough for it to have burned an easy way into my heart over the past three years or so. It sounds fresh and doesn't really fall into any traps an older pop band who does what they do might fall into. This is definitely bar or driving music to nod to, to absorb, to let wash over one and envelop.  And the album is a grower. If I have a complaint, and a serious one for a click generation that has no tangible media, it's that the ordering of the tracks seems like a mistake. A huge one. The truly exciting songs are at the end, aside from Friend Hospital, which is another standout. Anyway, I post this now because I go see them tomorrow. I won't get personal but it's a big deal to be able to go, simply put. The names of the tracks I'm posting tell the story in text. Herewith the tracks. 

Friend Hospital

Gold Sounds

Victory's Yours

Reveal hidden contents

I've got another Nada Surf on my short list...

Ten Mile Stereo

Zebra

Norway
I considered this when I took Bloom earlier.  "10 Mile Stereo" has to be their best song, one of my favorite concert moments ever is seeing that played live.  Mesmerizing.

11.07 - Nujabes - Spiritual State (2011)

I would be remiss if I didn't pick this, the last of my possible favorite all-time albums, which I've sat on for so long since I knew it wouldn't be on anyone's radar.  For those unfamiliar with Nujabes, he was a legendary underground Japanese hip-hop music producer who blended hip-hop and jazz in a very unique sound.  Roughly half of this album is instrumental, with the other half featuring various hip-hop artists who were his regular collaborators.

Nujabes died in a car accident in Tokyo in February 2010 while working on this album.  It sat unfinished for about a year until his closest friends and collaborators finished the album as a group tribute in his memory.  It's a masterpiece.

"Prayer"

"Island (feat. Uyama Hiroto and Haruka Nakamura)"

"Far Fowls"

"City Lights (feat. Pase Rock and Substantial)"

Users who are viewing this thread