What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (4 Viewers)

So why give TB 3 years, $63?  We should ride with Allen (or just pay Cam to stay) and draft a QB next year.
He supposedly knows the offense, is a good film room guy, teammate etc and will be a mentor to whoever we draft.  I still dont think we win many games with him.  More than allen for sure but our defense is going to be brutal and I am not sold on the offensive line. 

The guys they are signing in FA are journeyman role players on short cheap deals. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have to admit I was amongst those who thought that Cam would play at least 1 more year. I think TB is an interesting signing. His short to medium accuracy is way better than Cams, he knows the system, considered a solid leader, good teammate, etc. There is no reason to believe we can't play well on offense. Walker seems like an upgrade at the number 2 spot and someone TB could mentor.

This is starting to feel like that time when I was a life long Cubs fan and they traded Bruce Sutter to the Cards and I hate the Cubs with a passion ever sense.  If it wasn't for CMac, I'd might be out.

NCCommish said:
So I have to admit I was amongst those who thought that Cam would play at least 1 more year. 
I was hoping he would, but I felt like Tepper didn't feel that way. I appreciate all that Cam did for the Panthers. I loved his joyful spirit, and everything he did for the community, which was a lot. I wish him the best.

WR room is full.  Kirkwood, R. Anderson, Roberts, Cooper (punt/kick returner), Samuel, Moore. and a few others.  

Like the PJ Walker addition.  And the Whitehead signing.  

Hate to see Cam go but not much else they could do at this point.  Curious to see if/where he'll be signed.  

Seriously a whole new looking team this year.  

WR room is full.  Kirkwood, R. Anderson, Roberts, Cooper (punt/kick returner), Samuel, Moore. and a few others.  

Like the PJ Walker addition.  And the Whitehead signing.  

Hate to see Cam go but not much else they could do at this point.  Curious to see if/where he'll be signed.  

Seriously a whole new looking team this year.  
Well the timing of the release is going to make it hard for Cam. He may end up unsigned until training camps. He may even have to wait for an injured starter. Because I dont think Cam is wanting to be a backup.

I was hoping he would, but I felt like Tepper didn't feel that way. I appreciate all that Cam did for the Panthers. I loved his joyful spirit, and everything he did for the community, which was a lot. I wish him the best.
Yeah there is no disputing his impact on the team or city. Never a troublemaker off the field. Big on charity work. I hope he lands somewhere and has a nice restart to his career. He should be the healthiest he's been in a long time with the big layoff. The 2 regrets are how poorly we handled this first in how Cam was treated and how we got nothing for a 1st round former MVP.

Happy draft day everybody. So, who are you all hoping for in the first round today?

Brown seems to be the steady prediction going back a few months up to now (though apparently DET likes him). There have also been some more recent mocks that have Simmons or Okudah falling to them (I’d be pretty surprised but really happy w either). 

I know I’ll be on a bit of an island with this one but if Tua fell past 5 and 6 (I don’t think he will) I would love to get him. Durability is obviously a concern but I think he’s a star if he stays healthy. 

I think it will be Brown, but won't be surprised if they trade down, depending on how the QB situation plays out for other teams at 2 through 6.

Happy draft day everybody. So, who are you all hoping for in the first round today?

Brown seems to be the steady prediction going back a few months up to now (though apparently DET likes him). There have also been some more recent mocks that have Simmons or Okudah falling to them (I’d be pretty surprised but really happy w either). 

I know I’ll be on a bit of an island with this one but if Tua fell past 5 and 6 (I don’t think he will) I would love to get him. Durability is obviously a concern but I think he’s a star if he stays healthy. 
I would sacrifice a small farm animal for Andrew Thomas at 7.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Please Mr. Rhule, don't let Hurney mess this up.  I wouldn't mind them trading down if we acquire more picks.  Could get one of the top OT down a few spots.  Or maybe Kinlaw if they're determined to get DL.  

If not OT then I hope Simmons or Okudah fall to 7.  

Please Mr. Rhule, don't let Hurney mess this up.  I wouldn't mind them trading down if we acquire more picks.  Could get one of the top OT down a few spots.  Or maybe Kinlaw if they're determined to get DL.  

If not OT then I hope Simmons or Okudah fall to 7.  
Works for me but I am scared crapless about kinlaw.   He is a project and has some anger issues stemming from his childhood.  I prefer thomas at 7 but thats not going to happen so hoping its simmons or brown

Works for me but I am scared crapless about kinlaw.   He is a project and has some anger issues stemming from his childhood.  I prefer thomas at 7 but thats not going to happen so hoping its simmons or brown
Keep seeing and hearing them talk about Wirfs and Wills ahead of Thomas.  Some even Becton.  Not sure which one will end up being the best pick.  

Keep seeing and hearing them talk about Wirfs and Wills ahead of Thomas.  Some even Becton.  Not sure which one will end up being the best pick.  
Thomas is the best right now but Wirfs is stupid athletic and wills is just a mean bully.  I like thomas the best because I have watched a lot of him and he is already an above average tackle with little risk as it stands. 

If Tua is available I'd be shocked if they let him fall. Wonderlic is really meaningless at the end of the day. Lots of HOF level players scored poorly on it. 

If Tua falls and they pass I’ll be really disappointed but I don’t see him getting past the Chargers. 

Yeah there is no disputing his impact on the team or city. Never a troublemaker off the field. Big on charity work. I hope he lands somewhere and has a nice restart to his career. He should be the healthiest he's been in a long time with the big layoff. The 2 regrets are how poorly we handled this first in how Cam was treated and how we got nothing for a 1st round former MVP.
Who signs Cam will become either my first or second favorite NFL team.  I hope Cam gets to play the Panthers and dabs all over them.

I was hoping for Simmons just a bit more, but Brown is a really good pick.

ESPN David Newton covers the Panthers... on first round pick

The Panthers liked Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons a lot at No. 7 and he was the best pure athlete on the board, but they felt he was a better fit for a veteran team because of his ability to play so many positions. So they went with Auburn DT Derrick Brown, ...
wat?  So the best pure athlete on the board is not a fit for our team because of his ability to play so many positions?   Makes no sense.

The Panthers select Derrick Brown, DT, out of Auburn. Feeling was Isaiah Simmons was a better fit for an established team. Carolina is rebuilding.
Again, wat?  Arizona didn't over-think things.  They just drafted the best player available.  It's nice of the Panthers to help other teams find the best fit for them.   They make it sound like Simmons is 38 yrs old and needs to find a team that can win now. 

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney and coach Matt Rhule agreed they went with Derrick Brown over Isaiah Simmons because when building a defense you "start in the middle'' and up front. Hurney didn't think after the season Brown would be there. "He is a really good piece to add to our defense,'' Hurney said.
This is fine and well and I'm sure Brown will help with the run defense.  But in a division with Brady and all his WR/TE weapons, Brees with Thomas/Kamara, and Matt Ryan with Julio/Ridley... who's going to guard them?   The middle of the defensive backfield was abysmal the last couple of years.  And Eric Reid is gone now.  

Lost Poe, McCoy and V. Butler to FA.  Maybe should have paid one of them to stay with KK and draft DB/LB needs.  

Wish we'd taken Simmons at 7 then DT Blacklock or Madubuike at 38.  

6 CBs off the board in the first round.  Where do we go in round 2?   Hopefully X McKinney or Delpit.  Trevon Diggs, Jaylon Johnson.  Or OT/G

Need DB help so they'll probably go with another DT.    

6 CBs off the board in the first round.  Where do we go in round 2?   Hopefully X McKinney or Delpit.  Trevon Diggs, Jaylon Johnson.  Or OT/G

Need DB help so they'll probably go with another DT.    
Yeah the lack of consensus at CB after the top 2 made the picks there surprising, and leaves some good players on the board. In addition to McKinney (who I might prefer over Delpit) there's also Kristian Fulton.

It appears that Hurney is still with the team?  I thought he was gone with all the other shake ups earlier in the year.

Sorry...I don't get a lot of Panther news down here in Florida :kicksrock:  

The Commish said:
It appears that Hurney is still with the team?  I thought he was gone with all the other shake ups earlier in the year.

Sorry...I don't get a lot of Panther news down here in Florida :kicksrock:  
He is still there but apparently Rhule is making the calls in this draft

Rotoworld reporting teams are calling the Panthers about Curtis Samuel. Think Panthers would move him???
If they could get a couple of picks I'd do it, or just one 2nd round pick.  His rookie deal is up next year and they may lose him to FA anyway.  They signed Robby Anderson and Kirkwood to go along with DJ.  I could see them entertaining offers. 

Rotoworld reporting teams are calling the Panthers about Curtis Samuel. Think Panthers would move him???
I've never understood the love for Samuel.  If someone else is in love with him and gives a sweet deal, then I'd absolutely move him.  I think we've seen what he'll be as a WR in the league at this point.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
I've never understood the love for Samuel.  If someone else is in love with him and gives a sweet deal, then I'd absolutely move him.  I think we've seen what he'll be as a WR in the league at this point.
When have we seen him with an uninjured NFL caliber stating QB?

I like what they've done in the 2nd.  Chinn is interesting. Look forward to seeing him play back there. 

Could really use a CB though.  We've got Corn Elder and D. Jackson.  Yikes. 

When have we seen him with an uninjured NFL caliber stating QB?
I see the point kind of, but QBs don't drop the balls that should be caught.  FWIW, I had the same with Benjiman and I was on an island there too.  These are questions we ask and ponder about 4-5 round picks, not 1-2 round picks IMO.  The guys that high should be able to adapt to my grandmother throwing them the ball.

I like your draft. Would’ve taken Simmons instead of Brown but you got a good player. I also love the Chinn pick. Really strengthened your defense. Just need some CB help.

I haven't found a single article saying anything other than the Cats knocking it out of the park.
Its a good draft.  These guys should develop into a foundation of a nice draft in a couple of season.  I dont really like trading up but whatever.  I kindof like the fact that ygm doesnt excel at really anything but is good at overall everything.  Opposite Burns who is just really good at rushing the passer but really really bad at stopping the run.

Now we need some oline help in a big way

Its a good draft.  These guys should develop into a foundation of a nice draft in a couple of season.  I dont really like trading up but whatever.  I kindof like the fact that ygm doesnt excel at really anything but is good at overall everything.  Opposite Burns who is just really good at rushing the passer but really really bad at stopping the run.

Now we need some oline help in a big way
I think that ship has sailed.  Bridgewater is going to earn his money.

I think that ship has sailed.  Bridgewater is going to earn his money.
You are probably right but dang man after the 2020 season our entire line sans moton (if we resign him) will probably be all new.  Thats not good for whoever the qb is which I am thinking will be fields or Trevor

I see the point kind of, but QBs don't drop the balls that should be caught.  FWIW, I had the same with Benjiman and I was on an island there too.  These are questions we ask and ponder about 4-5 round picks, not 1-2 round picks IMO.  The guys that high should be able to adapt to my grandmother throwing them the ball.
Interestingly, Samuel and McCaffrey both had the same number of drops (7) last year.  I'm excited to see how Joe Brady can use Samuel personally.  With this weak O-Line, they're going to need players that can make plays after getting the ball quickly.

I haven't found a single article saying anything other than the Cats knocking it out of the park.
I feel like in a different draft both our second round picks could've been first rounders. I would like some Oline but if the plan was rebuild the D, mission getting accomplished. 

I feel like in a different draft both our second round picks could've been first rounders. I would like some Oline but if the plan was rebuild the D, mission getting accomplished. 
Teddy b is going to take one for the team this season.  I wonder if he can play all 16

Users who are viewing this thread