What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (4 Viewers)

Question how? Carson is not the coach. He doesn't call the plays. He's not a pitcher waving off a catcher to get a better pitch to throw. He runs the play that is called or audibles to a play that is also decided for him. Doug has chosen to not run his stud RB in the 2nd half the last 4 weeks since he's been back from injury until today. He's chosen not to roll carson out or do RPOs with him. He's chosen to have long developing routes for the WRs and 5&7 step drops for Carson to run. Yet he choose none of those things with a backup. So I'd say he has a lot of justified questions coming his way. 

He needs to either say Carson doesn't listen to him and forces him to call bad plays (making him an ineffective coach) or he just chooses to think Carson is Brett Favre that will gunsling every game for 45 passes (also stupid). 
Yes.  This kind of comes down to Doug's process for maintaining accountability and high standards.  I can see giving your franchise QB input into the game plan and play calling but if it makes the offense less effective, then it needs to end, regardless of how much Carson wants to do it.  Will be hard to ever find out the truth, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

Yes.  This kind of comes down to Doug's process for maintaining accountability and high standards.  I can see giving your franchise QB input into the game plan and play calling but if it makes the offense less effective, then it needs to end, regardless of how much Carson wants to do it.  Will be hard to ever find out the truth, but it's an interesting thing to think about.
Sometimes coaches just aren’t on the same page as players. I actually think the broadcast crew hit the nail on the head. Reich and Carson were just very much in tune much like they said Aikman and Norv Turner were. It just feels off when Doug coaches Carson. 

Figured you'd try to turn the script with something like that.

Either way, the "lock" of the top 5 pick didn't happen.  Which sucks... some amazing players in the top 5 next year, this win is really going to hurt us next year for many reasons.
I mean - I've seen a variety of picks mocked to us, sometimes I saw us mocked a pick at #6 that another draft had going #15.

Sometimes coaches just aren’t on the same page as players. I actually think the broadcast crew hit the nail on the head. Reich and Carson were just very much in tune much like they said Aikman and Norv Turner were. It just feels off when Doug coaches Carson. 
Well for a couple of seconds and a conditional 3rd, Indy could probably land their QB of the future to regain that connection this off season. 

I mean - I've seen a variety of picks mocked to us, sometimes I saw us mocked a pick at #6 that another draft had going #15.
Ya well a lot can happen.  Usually most mocks (if they're done properly) will just use the current standings for the order they use.

I can see something like that being the difference between 2017 and 2018/2019 but Wentz on field execution and decision making going off a cliff can't be just that.

There's no questions its different, although I'd love to see someone better at breaking down plays give more clarity to it.

Sanders - 14 attempts today. Honestly, thats less then I thought we'd do. In Carson's 9 games with him he's had 4 with more, 5 with less (one being 13).

So, I dont know that Sanders usage was that different - Ironically the 13 carry game was the only one we won before tonight. I guess 13/14 carries for Sanders is the sweet spot for a win this year?

The big difference for the run game was obviously a lot of designed runs for Hurts, which I dont think any of us would have wanted Wentz to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no questions its different, although I'd love to see someone better at breaking down plays give more clarity to it.

Sanders - 14 attempts today. Honestly, thats less then I thought we'd do. In Carson's 9 games with him he's had 4 with more, 5 with less (one being 13).

So, I dont know that Sanders usage was that different - Ironically the 13 carry game was the only one we won before tonight. I guess 13/14 carries for Sanders is the sweet spot for a win this year?

The big difference for the run game was obviously a lot of designed runs for Hurts, which I dont think any of us would have wanted Wentz to take.
It’s not just about the carries. They used him in the pass game and the entire offense was RPO based from what I recall. They leaned heavily on him. The OL played their best game of the season too which helps and very few penalties. I really hope this OL can play together the remainder of the season. 

Seems like we run more RPO, mesh and move the pocket more with Hurts and Foles than we ever do with Wentz as well. 

The OL played better without doubt. No Jason Peters is bug, regretfully, as he had a great career - but. The young guys, if they had had the time to gel 5 weeks ago would have been very good by now.

I think a big part of it is the whole team has seen a player who was thought of as a fixture, get benched.  That kind of thing gives everyone a kick in the ### I think.   How many drops and missed blocks did you see today?  Nowhere near as many.  

Still plenty of missed tackles to go round in the 2nd half though.

Maybe it's me, but the one big weakness in Hurts game (beyond normal rookie stuff), he does not seem to throw the out pass well. Is his arm strength less then average? The passes to the far out routes dont seem to have the zip you would want, looks like they die early.

Maybe it's me, but the one big weakness in Hurts game (beyond normal rookie stuff), he does not seem to throw the out pass well. Is his arm strength less then average? The passes to the far out routes dont seem to have the zip you would want, looks like they die early.
IMO, his arm strength is OK.  It's not bad, but just NFL average.  He has a slow windup though.  So does Wentz, but he has a cannon.  So Hurts has a slower than average release and less velocity on the ball.

For me, Hurts true test will come against a team that mixes up zone coverages.  His supposed weaknesses coming out of college point to that being where things most likely go sideways.  Zone makes it harder to scramble for big gains as well.

Haha jeez so defensive :P  

I like you and your posts, but man.... it's not the same.   I said it was possible we win, you said it was actually IMPOSSIBLE.... we won.  End of story. 

Either way the win isn't a good thing.  But there's a chance we win out now and win the div.
I’m fascinated on how two people can argue over the percentage of suckage of your own team? For pages and pages. It’s like you HAVE to have the last word. No wonder you guys brag about how massive your team thread is. It’s comedic that now you argue over just how bad the team is. 😂

I’m fascinated on how two people can argue over the percentage of suckage of your own team? For pages and pages. It’s like you HAVE to have the last word. No wonder you guys brag about how massive your team thread is. It’s comedic that now you argue over just how bad the team is. 😂
We're passionate fans.  We discuss all things even when they go bad.  Unlike your thread that is only active when the team is winning... it's had what, 1 post in the last couple months?  Cowboys fans post more in this thread than in their own.... little weird.  Next.

For me, Hurts true test will come against a team that mixes up zone coverages.  His supposed weaknesses coming out of college point to that being where things most likely go sideways.  Zone makes it harder to scramble for big gains as well.
Who from our remaining schedule will do this?

Who from our remaining schedule will do this?
Next week vs. Cardinals actually.  They blitz a lot, disguise coverages and drop Edge players into underneath coverage.  I watched a couple of games early in the season because Murray.  If the knocks on Hurts are true, this kind of thing should trouble him.  

Also WAS maybe?  I'm not completely sure to be honest.  I don't pay for PFF or anything like that so don't know where to get those stats easily.  CAR defense played that way though.

funny little article, not sure why doug has to treat Wentz with kid gloves:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/why-was-doug-pederson-so-muted-his-praise-jalen-hurts

ETA:

Here’s Doug Pederson after Jalen Hurts beat the Saints in his first career start: “It took everybody in uniform to win this game, not just one guy, and I'm  going to repeat myself again that it takes a village to get this stuff done. Jalen was a part of it, yes, but it took a team effort to win, honestly.”

Doug on Wentz after the Browns game in 2016: “The poise was tremendous and that’s just who he is.”

Doug on Hurts Sunday: “He obviously was a part of the win, but my hat’s off to a lot of guys in this football game.”

Doug in 2016: “Those are things you see from more veteran type of quarterbacks.”

Doug Sunday: “I thought overall there were some good things and he kind of gave us the spark as a team that I was looking for and we were looking for as a team, but this win today was not about one guy. This win is about this team and how resilient this team is.”

With the Chargers win, we would have had the 4th pick had we lost.  Now we are in 9th spot, Doug/Howie probably will stay, and what was left of Carson's soul is now gone.  Great job guys, great job.  gosh darnit Doug.

EDT:  Wow, did you know when you type g0ddammit and post it, it automatically changes it to 'gosh darnit?"  hahaha amazing. 

With the Chargers win, we would have had the 4th pick had we lost.  Now we are in 9th spot, Doug/Howie probably will stay, and what was left of Carson's soul is now gone.  Great job guys, great job.  gosh darnit Doug.

EDT:  Wow, did you know when you type g0ddammit and post it, it automatically changes it to 'gosh darnit?"  hahaha amazing. 
Yes noticed that for awhile. Also the ok emoji changes to just a smiley face. Can't be too terrified of words and symbols now. 

True, but it's still better overall for the franchise to see some like out of their young players, especially Reagor and the Oline.  We're still likely to have a top 10 pick, unless we win out.

And if we win out - that brings a whole host of discussion points...

funny little article, not sure why doug has to treat Wentz with kid gloves:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/why-was-doug-pederson-so-muted-his-praise-jalen-hurts

ETA:

Here’s Doug Pederson after Jalen Hurts beat the Saints in his first career start: “It took everybody in uniform to win this game, not just one guy, and I'm  going to repeat myself again that it takes a village to get this stuff done. Jalen was a part of it, yes, but it took a team effort to win, honestly.”

Doug on Wentz after the Browns game in 2016: “The poise was tremendous and that’s just who he is.”

Doug on Hurts Sunday: “He obviously was a part of the win, but my hat’s off to a lot of guys in this football game.”

Doug in 2016: “Those are things you see from more veteran type of quarterbacks.”

Doug Sunday: “I thought overall there were some good things and he kind of gave us the spark as a team that I was looking for and we were looking for as a team, but this win today was not about one guy. This win is about this team and how resilient this team is.”
I don’t see how this is protective of Wentz to be honest. 

This has more to do with our media who will continue to drive this wedge than anything. Everything Doug said can be true at the same time but now if he doesn’t praise the exact same way he’s protecting Wentz? This will be going racial soon I’m sure too. 

True, but it's still better overall for the franchise to see some like out of their young players, especially Reagor and the Oline.  We're still likely to have a top 10 pick, unless we win out.

And if we win out - that brings a whole host of discussion points...
If we win out it just prolongs the inevitable. The flaws with Howie and Doug will still remain but just for another miserable year. 

If we win out, looking at Doug's non-Carson record vs his Carson record - I will be convinced the flaws are not Doug's.

We keep saying how different the offense looks when Carson isn't in there...maybe it's not Doug thats the issue? I'm sure Carson has input into what the offense does...at some point we have to look at the common denominator for the issues.

If we win out, looking at Doug's non-Carson record vs his Carson record - I will be convinced the flaws are not Doug's.

We keep saying how different the offense looks when Carson isn't in there...maybe it's not Doug thats the issue? I'm sure Carson has input into what the offense does...at some point we have to look at the common denominator for the issues.
If the HC is using the players input to run an offense that is sucking he should be fired immediately. I’m not remotely trying to hear that Doug is a victim in this at all. He’s been bad for a while now and as well as he did yesterday his flaws still stood out again 

Surly you’ve seen enough good coaching over the years where a good coach will get the best out of his players and put them in advantageous positions. You’ve also seen talented players under bad coaches and magically become great when they have good coaching. That’s your common denominator. 

The offense we saw yesterday with the WB carrying the ball 16 times and throwing for 160 yards is not sustainable or an NFL offense. 

Let's say the Eagles win out and then win a playoff game all with Hurts starting. Does Wentz ever recover from that? I mean at that point you have to trade him, even though I think that's a stupid idea. His brain would be broken here, right? 

Eh, if it was Jason Peters input, then sure. It's the QB though. I'd venture to say every NFL offense needs input from the QB. Maybe it's plays Wentz just can't run? I don't know - I'm simply saying, it seems very unlikely Doug has this great offense, but chooses to never run it with Carson. That's ridiculous. There must be a reason we never see it.

We're passionate fans.  We discuss all things even when they go bad.  Unlike your thread that is only active when the team is winning... it's had what, 1 post in the last couple months?  Cowboys fans post more in this thread than in their own.... little weird.  Next.
I get the passion, actual I like reading all four of the East threads as it’s good info on what each team is dealing with in a horrible division. I like lots of the homer posters in each, including yours. I’m a fan of Doug, although he is definitely struggling, and am just as perplexed as to why he’s changed his style of coaching. 
It’s weird how because some of you “own” this thread somehow that you argue over the percentage of how bad something is? Then, you ALWAYS have to have the last word. It’s like two ten year olds in the backseat.... “stop touching me, you touched me first, no you did, DADDDD!!!”

Maybe nobody post on the Dallas thread because we all agree we suck and don’t have to “win or get the last word” because it’s 12 percent instead of 13 percent probablity of continued suckage?

I’ll bow out now so you can have the last word on this.😉

As far as football related content, I think the move to Hurts was a payoff because he seems to be able to read and react so much better than Carson. With the Oline struggles, Hurts doesn’t wait around for plays to develop. Maybe that’s coach/play calling or maybe he’s just a better QB?

But they won't win out. I mean, this was a fun win, but this approach isn't sustainable. This was the first start for Hurts, teams didn't have much to go on. Now they will.  And that's ok - IF Hurts has starter potential in him, he'll have to learn to pass more efficiently.  And the most likely scenario, right now - is still Carson Wentz as the starter in 2021. How long he lasts in 2021 is up to him....

Hurts not looking back.  Starter for the remainder of 2020 and 2021.

Wentz to the Patriots.  :whistle:
If they could pull that off, I think it would benefit both teams. Carson with a fresh start in another city may be just what he needs. No way he would be worse than Scam Newton.

But they won't win out. I mean, this was a fun win, but this approach isn't sustainable. This was the first start for Hurts, teams didn't have much to go on. Now they will.  And that's ok - IF Hurts has starter potential in him, he'll have to learn to pass more efficiently.  And the most likely scenario, right now - is still Carson Wentz as the starter in 2021. How long he lasts in 2021 is up to him....
My question is hypothetical, of course. My expectations are sub-zero.

If they could pull that off, I think it would benefit both teams. Carson with a fresh start in another city may be just what he needs. No way he would be worse than Scam Newton.
But I think what people are not factoring in is will teams be willing to take on the contract of the worst starting qb in the NFL in 2020? It is a huge gamble for a team to take on Wentz contract. I feel like his connection to Reich might lead Colts to put out feelers but as a gm would you be willing to put your job on the line to hope Wentz can become a solid qb again?

Let's say the Eagles win out and then win a playoff game all with Hurts starting. Does Wentz ever recover from that? I mean at that point you have to trade him, even though I think that's a stupid idea. His brain would be broken here, right? 
Yeah. If that happens he has to go. No matter what side of the QB fence you’re on it’s not fair to the other to constantly have to look over their shoulder instead of being the guy. I do think they have failed big time in doing that with Carson. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his best year came when he didn’t have to worry about losing his spot. 

Eh, if it was Jason Peters input, then sure. It's the QB though. I'd venture to say every NFL offense needs input from the QB. Maybe it's plays Wentz just can't run? I don't know - I'm simply saying, it seems very unlikely Doug has this great offense, but chooses to never run it with Carson. That's ridiculous. There must be a reason we never see it.
Peters having someone’s ear or respect is different than someone influencing the game plan IMO. If you and I are working together and your advice is constantly making us look bad than as a superior I have to remove you from the equation if it’s my job first. Doug is a SB winning HC

Personally I feel like Doug gets complacent with Carson and when he has to use the back ups he dips into his creativeness more. Andy used to as well with McNabb. How many times did you know the play action deep ball was gonna open a game or that shotgun shovel pass was coming on the goal line? I don’t know how much was Reich and how much wasn’t but I do know the offenses look vastly different with Foles and now Hurts and the constant there is Doug. It’s up to him to explain how he can put Foles and Hurts in advantageous positions, even for a few games, but can’t with Carson. 

But I think what people are not factoring in is will teams be willing to take on the contract of the worst starting qb in the NFL in 2020? It is a huge gamble for a team to take on Wentz contract. I feel like his connection to Reich might lead Colts to put out feelers but as a gm would you be willing to put your job on the line to hope Wentz can become a solid qb again?
It’s not the risk you think. If their coaches feel he’s correctable and coachable you’ll have teams lining up. The money is the issue for both teams. 

Just look at what people thought of Josh Allen. In 2 years they got him weapons and a great coach. It’s not ironic he looks amazing. 

If he gets back to even 2019 form, that contract is a bargain. That's why they signed him to it. No one anticipated this. 

From Dan Orlovsky:

The Wentz-Pederson relationship is weird man.
It seems other QBs bring out the best in Doug as a play-caller and designer—and Wentz brings out the worst. There is just some form of a block or disconnect between the two of them. Reich was that for Wentz-doesn’t seem Doug is

Yeah. If that happens he has to go. No matter what side of the QB fence you’re on it’s not fair to the other to constantly have to look over their shoulder instead of being the guy. I do think they have failed big time in doing that with Carson. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his best year came when he didn’t have to worry about losing his spot. 

Peters having someone’s ear or respect is different than someone influencing the game plan IMO. If you and I are working together and your advice is constantly making us look bad than as a superior I have to remove you from the equation if it’s my job first. Doug is a SB winning HC

Personally I feel like Doug gets complacent with Carson and when he has to use the back ups he dips into his creativeness more. Andy used to as well with McNabb. How many times did you know the play action deep ball was gonna open a game or that shotgun shovel pass was coming on the goal line? I don’t know how much was Reich and how much wasn’t but I do know the offenses look vastly different with Foles and now Hurts and the constant there is Doug. It’s up to him to explain how he can put Foles and Hurts in advantageous positions, even for a few games, but can’t with Carson. 
He needs to answer it either way. If Carson isn't smart enough to run the plays, you need to tell us that. There's no need to protect him if it's going to cost you your job. I don't suspect Carson being too dumb to be able to run RPOs though. 

He needs to answer it either way. If Carson isn't smart enough to run the plays, you need to tell us that. There's no need to protect him if it's going to cost you your job. I don't suspect Carson being too dumb to be able to run RPOs though. 
I agree but there’s obviously something there. I’m trying to look through both lenses and either way I view it, it comes off as a Doug problem. What other SB winning coach let’s players walk all over them? I’m genuinely asking. If the narrative is Wentz is bullying him or not listening etc at what point do you stop going square peg and round hole as a coach? Or why can’t you coach/teach and get your message across to this one player? 

I get the passion, actual I like reading all four of the East threads as it’s good info on what each team is dealing with in a horrible division. I like lots of the homer posters in each, including yours. I’m a fan of Doug, although he is definitely struggling, and am just as perplexed as to why he’s changed his style of coaching. 
It’s weird how because some of you “own” this thread somehow that you argue over the percentage of how bad something is? Then, you ALWAYS have to have the last word. It’s like two ten year olds in the backseat.... “stop touching me, you touched me first, no you did, DADDDD!!!”

Maybe nobody post on the Dallas thread because we all agree we suck and don’t have to “win or get the last word” because it’s 12 percent instead of 13 percent probablity of continued suckage?

I’ll bow out now so you can have the last word on this.😉

As far as football related content, I think the move to Hurts was a payoff because he seems to be able to read and react so much better than Carson. With the Oline struggles, Hurts doesn’t wait around for plays to develop. Maybe that’s coach/play calling or maybe he’s just a better QB?
Ya I don't know where you're going with that. You are usually one of the better Dallas posters that doesn't come here to troll and actually has some good insight on things, but I think you are a bit off here. We were trying to figure out the probability if we'd get a top 5 pick or not and disagreeing on if it was a sure thing or not. If you don't like the posts here you don't have to read them.

"Nobody posts in the Dallas thread because we know we suck and don't have to get the last word in"...  Ya, percentages are the ONLY thing being discussed in here and you're far superior because you guys just go quiet when the team isn't good. C'mon man you're better than this, call a spade a spade. There may be some emotional banter in here but I'd rather great content with a bit of that mixed in then a forum that only has people discussing things when the team is winning. 

Users who are viewing this thread