What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

Did anyone else watch Britannia on Epix?  I have a free trial period so am giving it a go, am now into season 2.  I can't decide whether its good or bad, but am probably along for the ride to the end either way.
I saw season 1 a few years ago on amazon prime and enjoyed it. Didn't know another season had been produced. I'll try to check it out - which service did you watch it on?
I've got AT&T TV and have Epix free for a while on a promotion.

So much potential, but at the end just not worth the time.. :kicksrock:
I think this is one that I started the other night but got too tired about 10 minutes in - based on what you all have said, think I'll give it a pass as I'm not nearly invested enough to see it through to the end.

Episode 6 of The Crown - the trip to Australia was the best episode in the series imo. Heartbreaking. 
Agreed. I never really cared about the royal family before, but, man, I hate Prince Charles after watching it.

This has been an excellent watch- riveting stuff, on a subject I really wasn’t at all interested in.

Yet another post about how great The Americans is.  Surprised more people don't talk about this show.  Prime is worth it for this and The Expanse 
I liked it for the first few seasons when it originally aired. Then they started giving too much emphasis on the whiny daughter and father Tim angle among other silly tangents, so me and my short attention span bailed. 

I liked it for the first few seasons when it originally aired. Then they started giving too much emphasis on the whiny daughter and father Tim angle among other silly tangents, so me and my short attention span bailed. 
Agreed it was a lame storyline but it was fairly brief and worth getting past to finish up.

My kid and I watched it tonight, great cast and terrible movie. 
It was awful. The whole sister and ex thing was so awkward and not believable. I was waiting for the end fight to go to the water and Malkovich to jump out and drag Ferrell down. Of course the daughter shows up at the end as if we gave a shot about her the whole movie. If they had Ava turn around and pop her in the head I think they could have saved the movie.

So, we're 4 episodes into The Kominski Method. It's not bad but it seems like the same thing over and over. Old people complaining about problems. Does it get much better?

Of course the daughter shows up at the end as if we gave a shot about her the whole movie. If they had Ava turn around and pop her in the head I think they could have saved the movie.
Would have been more fitting if she would have walked up behind Ava and popped Ava in the head and just kept on walking. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I caught the first episode of The Stand on CBS All Access. I'm a big fan of the book and have read it a few times. I even enjoyed the first TV adaptation somewhat. This one I'm not so sure. It's been changed around to modernize and some of the storylines are quite different, like Harold's. Stu has been given a flatout personality change. Still, I know I'll watch it all. Just not quite as excited as I once was.

Would have been more fitting if she would have walked up behind Ava and popped Ava in the head and just kept on walking. 
Fitting a really bad movie. Something unexpected would have potentially made it worth wasting time on this awfulness.

I will say that if the daughter shot her and then the other daughter walked up behind her and said #####, this is for uncle John and shot her sister, then I would have put a 5 star review on it.

So I caught the first episode of The Stand on CBS All Access. I'm a big fan of the book and have read it a few times. I even enjoyed the first TV adaptation somewhat. This one I'm not so sure. It's been changed around to modernize and some of the storylines are quite different, like Harold's. Stu has been given a flatout personality change. Still, I know I'll watch it all. Just not quite as excited as I once was.
Please keep us in the loop on this. I loved the old TV series. Did they at least keep the BOC song to open the show? I just want to know if it’s worth subscribing for the show. Nothing else I watch on that.

As someone else said cast looked awesome, then I watched the trailer  :yucky: Looked like they just ripped off the plots of La Femme Nikita and Killing Eve and mashed them together.
Can we talk about what's her name's "chest area"? I mean, what in god's name? Did she get EEEEE implants or something?

I have not seen the movie, but after stumbling upon and watching the preview for "Fatman" I can say that I'm looking forward to watching this Sunday night. It looks completely terrible but Mel Gibson as Chris Cringle and Walton Goggins as a hired hitman to kill the fatman looks like good brain dead entertainment. 

Anyone watch Red Oaks on Amazon Prime?  It's set mostly on a Jewish country club in New Jersey.  Well done IMO.

Ma Rainey on Netflix was very good. They may as well send Chadwick’s family his Oscar now for best actor, nobody else has a chance. He was outstanding. 

stbugs said:
Please keep us in the loop on this. I loved the old TV series. Did they at least keep the BOC song to open the show? I just want to know if it’s worth subscribing for the show. Nothing else I watch on that.
 No BOC, but a dose of Billy Joel at the end. 

This one jumps back and forth from the outbreak to the “rebuild”, so it is definitely not linear like I remember (perhaps incorrectly) the Molly Ringwald TV miniseries. So far the casting and acting of the “1-off” characters is waaaaaaaay ahead of the main cast for me. 

Minor quibble alert:

Did not care for the foot in the door at the end. At the least it shouldn’t have physically crumpled the  corner like that. As a means to show him enabling things, sure, but I think there should be a less heavy-handed (well, foot...) to show that. 

After several failed attempts I’m finally into  The Expanse. It’s very good. One gripe, I’m not loving the ship designs and how they shoot the space sequences. None of the ships have stuck around long so that may be part of the problem but I hope it improves! 

After several failed attempts I’m finally into  The Expanse. It’s very good. One gripe, I’m not loving the ship designs and how they shoot the space sequences. None of the ships have stuck around long so that may be part of the problem but I hope it improves! 
Where are you at in the show? 

For those that enjoyed The Crown, you should check out Diana - In Her Own Words. It really shows how accurate the show was. I really had no idea before watching The Crown.

While not the most amazing show ever, we started watching Medici.

I'm partial to the setting and story, but it's a decent watch for the story. It's not always the greatest writing and acting, but it's worth a watch. Partway into the second season and this one, so far, is much better done.

Anyway, it's kind of like a medieval version of The Crown set in Italy.

Do yourself a favor and get passed that, as it was great.

While not the most amazing show ever, we started watching Medici.

I'm partial to the setting and story, but it's a decent watch for the story. It's not always the greatest writing and acting, but it's worth a watch. Partway into the second season and this one, so far, is much better done.

Anyway, it's kind of like a medieval version of The Crown set in Italy.
It gets very bad very soon. At least that was my experience.

I’m Your Woman on Prime was extremely meh for me. Started off with an interesting premise and then just got into a half-assed mob movie. 

Huh. I don't even remember the ship designs or having a care about them relative to the show. There's a main one that the protagonists settle into, but I doubt I could pick it out of a lineup. Later seasons have rings, which are cool. But I did like how things were shot in space, and Im pretty sure they set up the ship design so the belter ones at least are a bit more DIY, Mad Max than more corporate earth and mars.

The show picks up steam about where you are, Nick...settle in- it's a fun ride.

Huh. I don't even remember the ship designs or having a care about them relative to the show. There's a main one that the protagonists settle into, but I doubt I could pick it out of a lineup. Later seasons have rings, which are cool. But I did like how things were shot in space, and Im pretty sure they set up the ship design so the belter ones at least are a bit more DIY, Mad Max than more corporate earth and mars.

The show picks up steam about where you are, Nick...settle in- it's a fun ride.
I'm in.  Don't worry.  But the first 5 episodes are all about which ships belong to which faction and are attacking who.  Very muddled IMHO.  Battlestar nailed the space stuff on a budget, so I'm picky.  

For those that enjoyed The Crown, you should check out Diana - In Her Own Words. It really shows how accurate the show was. I really had no idea before watching The Crown.
I've not watched either, but from what I've read in here it seems Charles is portrayed as the bad guy, Di as the innocent.

Takes two people to make a bad relationship...there are no innocents, imo.

I've not watched either, but from what I've read in here it seems Charles is portrayed as the bad guy, Di as the innocent.

Takes two people to make a bad relationship...there are no innocents, imo.
Even the creators of the show have gone out of their way to say this is fictional drama, not documentary. 

Even the creators of the show have gone out of their way to say this is fictional drama, not documentary. 
We'll, if you watch Diana - In Her Own Words,  there's a lot more truth than I expected. I think the show used these recordings as a basis for a lot of it. Not saying it doesn't take two.

We'll, if you watch Diana - In Her Own Words,  there's a lot more truth than I expected. I think the show used these recordings as a basis for a lot of it. Not saying it doesn't take two.
Oh...yeah, I wasn't trying to discount the stuff you gleaned from that Diana doc. I fell into thinking the crown was more doc than fiction until I saw some interviews with actors and writers saying otherwise. Obviously gleaned from real events and interviews, but the intimate stuff I think so many of us are reacting to and leading to judgements about the characters obviously had to be fictionalized, and done so to make for interesting story telling. 

Eta...and agree about taking two. Even in the crown, she obviously doesn't "get" charles, and keeps trying to please him in ways that would please her...not him.

Users who are viewing this thread