What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (5 Viewers)

AMZN is like a growth index fund.  I think when folks dont know where to put there money, just throw it at AMZN
I have tried to convince all my friends and family to buy amazon and they all say it’s too expensive and then proceed to chase lower quality stocks or the garbage crypto coins trying to get rich. Whatever. 
This.  I think I have 1/6 of my retirement currently in AMZN.  Since purchase it has doubled and last year yielded 25%

I caught that, too.  Somebody knows (or thinks they know) something about BTWN.

I spot checked a bunch of the other SPACs I own and really only IPOF jumped at the end of the day, and that was just a couple of percent.
Not the same jump but IPOD and HAACU also had end of the day pops. PSTH just had a steady run up and GSAH jumped at the end as well.

BTWN is the only one with a real rumored company, so it was an exaggerated pop. On that stock twits site it was all Tokopedia this and that even though Tokopedia has literally said they are going public and appointed advisors: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Startups/Indonesia-s-Tokopedia-speeds-IPO-plan-selects-advisers

I saw some articles talking about WSB folks jumping into SPACs so I think the combo of that and BTWN having a merger name (even if real) made it jump more and like other “hot” stocks people jump in hoping to beat the news.

Not the same jump but IPOD and HAACU also had end of the day pops. PSTH just had a steady run up and GSAH jumped at the end as well.

BTWN is the only one with a real rumored company, so it was an exaggerated pop. On that stock twits site it was all Tokopedia this and that even though Tokopedia has literally said they are going public and appointed advisors: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Startups/Indonesia-s-Tokopedia-speeds-IPO-plan-selects-advisers

I saw some articles talking about WSB folks jumping into SPACs so I think the combo of that and BTWN having a merger name (even if real) made it jump more and like other “hot” stocks people jump in hoping to beat the news.
See if I were them I’d rather go the SPAC route. How much money did Airbnb or DoorDash miss out on by doing an IPO? 

It also seems like they may not have shut the door on this idea - Regarding the talks with Bridgetown, the Tokopedia spokesperson said: “SPAC is a potential option that we could consider but we have not committed to anything at the moment.”

There have been quite a few SPACs that have run up seemingly out of nowhere before a major announcement (gotta love the obvious insider trading). It’ll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. 

We were getting a lot of SPAC bubble hot takes before all this WSB silliness. I don't agree, but also think people should be very careful at buying SPACs pre-announcement substantially over NAV.

I mentioned CLDR a bit ago in the 12-14 range and I know some had gotten in. It’s really picking up steam and went over 17 in AH. I think it will continue to run up to 20ish in advance of earnings expected in early March. I’m buying more tomorrow. 

Quick recap: growing Cloud computing business + recent profitability + big stake held by Carl Icahn + increased Blackrock ownership. 

Went SPAC shopping today:

ENVIU - I think this one has been mentioned in here before. As you can assume from the ticker, this one is focused on acquiring an environmental sustainability company. Each unit gets 1 common + 1/2 warrant. Bought at $10.90.

SV - Supposedly targeting a company involved in "clean energy/storage, mobility, recycling." The units have already split on this one so I just bought some commons at $10.84. 

AACQ - Fintech play that has been getting a fair amount of buzz on r/SPACs. Led by Charles Drucker, the former CEO of WorldPay. Bought at $10.88.

FPAC - Another r/SPACs favorite that's interested in fintech. The folks over there are convinced that a merger will be happening fairly soon. No idea if that's true, but I'm in at $10.61.

CONX - In search of a 5G company. Founder is Charles Ergen, co-founder and chairman of Dish network. In at $10.51. 

SFTW - 15 months old, so if anything is going to happen with this one, it'll probably be within the next few months. Really low volume makes me think that nothing will be happening, but it's cheap enough that I still opened half a position. They're looking to acquire an enterprise software company. I bought at $10.63.

ETAC - Targeting a tech/software/internet company and seems to be drawing some interest from institutional investors. Bought at $10.49.
I agree with the FPAC research I have read there too and have some units near current price. CONX and SV also look promising, will have to do more research later.

NP...happy to hear it.
Yep, not a big holding but still nice to see a good steady gain 

See if I were them I’d rather go the SPAC route. How much money did Airbnb or DoorDash miss out on by doing an IPO? 

It also seems like they may not have shut the door on this idea - Regarding the talks with Bridgetown, the Tokopedia spokesperson said: “SPAC is a potential option that we could consider but we have not committed to anything at the moment.”

There have been quite a few SPACs that have run up seemingly out of nowhere before a major announcement (gotta love the obvious insider trading). It’ll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. 
Miss out on? If you want money, the IPO is the way to go. AirBnB raised their IPO price from the 30s to 40s to 50s to 68. They basically doubled the value of the company and the cash they’d receive because there was enough interest. Same with DoorDash. Heck, SNOW tripled or quadrupled their IPO price. If you go SPAC, you negotiate the market cap with the SPAC but you don’t have a chance to raise the price if there’s more interest. The activity after the merger announcement is akin to the activity after the IPO opens, the only difference is that with the IPO they can bump up the IPO price after gauging interest.

Also, that quote doesn’t mean much to me. Hiring Morgan Stanley and Citibank (they do a lot of IPOs) is one of those actions that speaks volumes versus a generic we haven’t committed to anything yet. It’s been almost 2 months now since the rumor. There’s no need to wait if the SPAC was the plan. Unlike the IPO with the roadshow and all the other pre-listing stuff, an SPAC has none of that. It takes longer after the merger announcement than making the announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Props to whoever recommended RVP a couple weeks ago, been in solitary and couldn't thank you earlier.

Bit of a stumble today but a great run up.

Any insight into KALA bump today?  Not complaining , just wondering.  
I didn't see any news.  Hopefully getting ready to breakout but not really expecting too much to happen until we see some sales numbers.

This product literally just got on the market and we are in the early stages.  I expect it will be a steady performer as the year progresses.

RE: $VCVC

*DJ REE Automotive To List On NASDAQ Through Merger With 10X Capital Venture Acquisition Corp VCVC

Dow Jones
Helps to not include DJ in the search.  :bag:

SNDL Sundial up sharply pre-market. I bought a couple thousand as a wtf deal at .84 and have been handsomely rewarded. I would not recommend buy here, but if it dip below a dollar, definitely. The volume is unbelievable.

Yep, not a big holding but still nice to see a good steady gain 

Miss out on? If you want money, the IPO is the way to go. AirBnB raised their IPO price from the 30s to 40s to 50s to 68. They basically doubled the value of the company and the cash they’d receive because there was enough interest. Same with DoorDash. Heck, SNOW tripled or quadrupled their IPO price. If you go SPAC, you negotiate the market cap with the SPAC but you don’t have a chance to raise the price if there’s more interest. The activity after the merger announcement is akin to the activity after the IPO opens, the only difference is that with the IPO they can bump up the IPO price after gauging interest.

Also, that quote doesn’t mean much to me. Hiring Morgan Stanley and Citibank (they do a lot of IPOs) is one of those actions that speaks volumes versus a generic we haven’t committed to anything yet. It’s been almost 2 months now since the rumor. There’s no need to wait if the SPAC was the plan. Unlike the IPO with the roadshow and all the other pre-listing stuff, an SPAC has none of that. It takes longer after the merger announcement than making the announcement.
Then why would companies like Proterra, Lucid or even DraftKings go the SPAC route? Sure Airbnb raised their price but it was still WELL below what the market would pay as it doubled on launch and is even up since then. Lots of companies are looking at ways to avoid a traditional IPO because they're not seeing the benefit right now. 

https://qz.com/1898249/why-firms-want-direct-listings-and-spacs-instead-of-ipos/

HZON and HZAC are two SPACs that I just parked a fair amount of cash in.   Don’t expect immediate returns but the downside is low and the upside is high at the current price point. 

HZAC has some ARK ties and HZON has the DraftKings CEO on the board.  Both managed by Guggenheim. 

Don't remember who posted in here but just jumped into EXPC. Lots of great partners/investors with ARK being one of them. Sign me up. 

You know at some point USO becomes attractive, it is lagging the move up in crude quite a bit.  Biden's policy looks bad on new supply coming on.  

Then why would companies like Proterra, Lucid or even DraftKings go the SPAC route? Sure Airbnb raised their price but it was still WELL below what the market would pay as it doubled on launch and is even up since then. Lots of companies are looking at ways to avoid a traditional IPO because they're not seeing the benefit right now. 

https://qz.com/1898249/why-firms-want-direct-listings-and-spacs-instead-of-ipos/
That article doesn’t make sense. What about LAZR for example? The stock went to $40 something but they received  $10 a share from the initial merger, right? LAZR never saw a dime at $40, but like AirBnB, the rest of their shares went up. How is that any different than leaving money on the table of an IPO? There was only one table in the article about IPO pops and it was 40%. That’s a premium that SPACs are getting now just on rumors.

If a merger causes the SPAC’s shares to rise, the company doesn’t get more cash. They get the cash that was raised at $10 a share and they value the company that way. If AirBnB used their $30 a share valuation that’s all they would have gotten from the SPAC. Instead they were able to more than double their initial “merger” price and get more up front. Same with DoorDash and Snowflake.

It’s disingenuous to say that AirBnB left money on the table when they raised their price, initial kitty and valuation while if they did an SPAC their kitty is based on the initial valuation.

The reason Lucid may go SPAC is because they’ve got not sales and honestly, aren’t a real company like AirBnB. They want to avoid fees, although the article mentions most SPAC promoters get 20%, which is why they likely don’t really give a crap if that company is a real good one or not. They made their money and aren’t really accountable to their clients. Morgan Stanley will be giving Tokopedia shares to its clients so there’s more due diligence on IPOs.

SPACs were a great place to dump cash was that there was almost no premium to buy and hold. There is now and since these companies are absolutely not vetted as much as IPO companies, I think SPACs are going to do way worse for people who don’t get in early. Some will work but not more than go IPO IMHO.

Anyone else in ITRM
ITERUM THERAPEUTICS PLC COM USD0.01
$1.460

Its down 17% in the last two weeks and I want to either fish or cut bait.

Users who are viewing this thread