What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (4 Viewers)

Rodney Hurts won me the fantasy football championship last season. That's what's what. Long live Rodney!

I doubt Hurts is the long term answer for the Iggles, but he can probably hold the spot down for a season until they find their guy.

They will probably be picking in the top 5 next year anyway so that might be where they grab a QB if they don’t take one with the 6 pick this year.

I doubt Hurts is the long term answer for the Iggles, but he can probably hold the spot down for a season until they find their guy.

They will probably be picking in the top 5 next year anyway so that might be where they grab a QB if they don’t take one with the 6 pick this year.
Why couldn’t Hurts be the Lon term answer?

I'm no Eagles fan, but I don't think they'll be nearly as bad as you suggest. With a decent draft (cue the peanut gallery), they can threaten 9-7, especially if Hurts performs well.

Rodney

I like this guy. I think he will be great. Of course I am also wrong once in a while. But if Eagles don’t want him then I love make a easy trade get him. 

Seems like many are making too much of Hurts’ successes last year as well as his failures. The guy got thrown to the wolves as a rookie with no training camp and has (I believe) 4 starts under his belt . Let’s see what he can do with a full offseason - and with defenses scheming against him - before making a full assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats would love have a trade for him. 
I think the Steelers would love to have him as well. High character, mobile behind bad OL and  of course dirt cheap.

I hate debating things we'll never have an answer and I know some won't agree but for as much as Roseman got beat up on for taking Hurts, and not saying he did not deserve most of it, but I think he could turn turn the pick into a profit today if he was inclined to do so.

I'm no Eagles fan, but I don't think they'll be nearly as bad as you suggest. With a decent draft (cue the peanut gallery), they can threaten 9-7, especially if Hurts performs well.
Don't see it.  They still need to make more cuts to get under the cap.  Ertz and Malik Jackson are going to be cut or traded.  Rumors are Kelce is getting cut too.  Sounds like the Eagles are blowing it up.  Anyone over 30 is trade/cut bait.       

Don't see it.  They still need to make more cuts to get under the cap.  Ertz and Malik Jackson are going to be cut or traded.  Rumors are Kelce is getting cut too.  Sounds like the Eagles are blowing it up.  Anyone over 30 is trade/cut bait.       
If that is the case then there will be more holes to fill making it likely the Eagles dont draft qb early to fill these other openings. 

Blackbear said:
If that is the case then there will be more holes to fill making it likely the Eagles dont draft qb early to fill these other openings. 
If there is someone they love, they'll go QB.  Otherwise, I agree.  They should give Hurts at least next season to see what he can do.  I don't think he's the answer, but, they need to build the team around the QB first.

NFL reporter Chris Mortensen reports Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie "has instructed his group to prioritize making [Jalen] Hurts successful in 2021 as opposed to creating a true competition."

Mortensen reports there isn't "internal unanimity" about Hurts as the starting QB in 2021, but Lurie has been clear that the second-year QB should be given a real shot. Mortensen replied to a tweet from the Philadelphia Inquirer's Les Bowen questioning Mort's report that the team is sure about Hurts as its starter in 2021. But Lurie's support would presumably carry significant weight with the team's new coaching staff. Mortensen said in February -- after the team traded Carson Wentz to the Colts -- that the Eagles "intend to bring in competition" for Hurts. Apparently that calculus could change with Lurie's input. The dual-threat Hurts could be a standout late-round QB pick in fantasy leagues if he wins the starting gig. 

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter 

Mar 8, 2021, 9:29 AM ET

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman denied reports that owner Jeffrey Lurie wants the team to prioritize development of Jalen Hurts as the team's 2021 starter. 

“We have not been told to do anything other than to try and strengthen the football team, and make sure we’re doing the right things going forward,” Roseman said during a Thursday press conference when asked to confirm or deny the reporting on Lurie’s wishes. The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McClane said the team would add QB competition in the coming months, citing Roseman's history of stockpiling QBs even when the Eagles seemingly didn't need to upgrade at the position. Roseman notably complimented Hurts' throwing ability in Thursday's presser. “When people start talking about Jalen the first thing that they go to is his athleticism and his strength as a runner, and I don’t know if that’s necessarily fair,” Roseman said. “This is a guy who completed over 70 percent of his passes at Oklahoma. He’s got a feel for the passing game. He’s got a plus arm." For now, Hurts is Philly's presumed starter. 

SOURCE: Inquirer.com 

Mar 19, 2021, 8:22 AM ET

He's got the IT factor. Has a chance to be a Top 5 fantasy QB and take the Eagles to the playoffs. Trade from him now if you can find an owner stupid enough to let go one of the next big QB phenoms.

He will be valued the same as Desean Watson prior to his sexual allegations.

Fantasy Fallout: Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Fields see values rise after 49ers, Eagles and Dolphins trade first-round picks

Excerpt:

JALEN HURTS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

I have been singing the praise of Jalen Hurts as fantasy football’s next superstar for months, but I’ll admit there was a slight semblance of doubt because of the possibility that the Eagles would draft a quarterback at No. 6 overall.

Now that they've moved completely outside the top-10 to pick No. 12, I can say without a doubt that Hurts will be their guy come opening day. And that means fantasy gamers can continue to draft him at will in the seventh rounds of best ball drafts and traditional leagues. 

During his time as a starter from Weeks 14-17, Hurts averaged 23.9 fantasy points per game — eighth-best among all quarterbacks. If you remove Week 17 when Hurts didn't play the full game, he averaged 26.6 fantasy points per game, which trailed only Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

Hurts possesses the rare rushing ability that makes him a cheat code in fantasy football, but what’s not discussed enough is that he is also super aggressive throwing the ball downfield. His deep-ball rate (13.5%) and aDOT (10.8) both ranked seventh-highest at his position.

And although naysayers will point to his poor completion percentage as a reason to stay away, I see it completely differently. His completion percentage was bad last season because he was always going downfield (good for fantasy) and not taking short completions (bad for fantasy). 

Forty-six percent of his pass attempts went at least 10 yards. That was by far the highest mark in the league, with Deshaun Watson (41%) ranking second.

Hurts is a clear winner here, and with Philly still in prime position to grab an electric playmaker at No. 12 (Jaylen Waddle, I hope), his stock might not be finished rising. He’s easily a top-10 fantasy quarterback. 

Dallas Goedert is also a huge winner with this move because it takes Pitts out of range for the Eagles. I thought Pitts might land in Philly, but that no longer seems to be in play. 

Moving back to No. 12 could also mean the Eagles address other positional needs like linebacker or cornerback, leaving Jalen Reagor as the team’s No. 1 wide receiver entering the 2021 season.

Don’t give up on the 2020 first-round pick yet. Reagor is currently being selected as the WR53 on Underdog. 

Why couldn’t Hurts be the Lon term answer?
I know I'm late to this but I put this in the Eagles thread back in January. Was talking to three sources on Wentz and what the future for the Eagles is. 2 of those guys work on the Eagles beat (well known and good writers and the one works on a major network) and there was plenty to talk. I asked about Wentz and Hurts. 

To cut to the chase they all said the Eagles top brass HAD ZERO INTEREST IN MOVING WENTZ AND IF THEY DO IT CAME FROM WENTZ AND HIS AGENT WANTING OUT.  

I asked all 3 of them this (and keep in mind this was back in January) Gun to your head if Carson is trade whos the Eagles Opening Day QB in Sept of 2022?

I got a resounding NOT ON THE TEAM NOW, Probably whoever they draft this or next year. 

75%-80% of the organization feel Hurts is not the answer now or long term. Everyone is still trying to figure out why Hurts was drafted so high and who made the final decision. Some believe it was Pederson who wanted him and Howie was trying to smooth things over once again (Howie drafter Reagor over Jefferson to satisfy the coaches despite wanting Jefferson), some believe Lurie made the move (Despite the fact he's been Wentz's biggest backer day 1), some believe it was Howie wanting to get a better version of Taysom Hill. Either way taking him in the 2nd round was a horrific decision especially since news came out that the pick was between him and Jeremy Chinn and we could use Chinn right now 

Add when Mort put in the report that Lurie told the Eagles to build around Hurts Inquirer's Les Bowen then came out and said if this is the plan they just came to this very very recently in the last week. 

Now with today's news the Eagles traded back because they were trying to trade up for Zach Wilson and well if I'm a Hurts owner I'm not liking what's going on for his future as an Eagle or if I'm a Hurts fan. This is why I was telling friends who were all in on Hurts you might be in for a rude surprise in the future. Today's report on the interest of Wilson and them at his pro day pretty much confirms what I've heard over the last 3 or so months now 

I was offered Hurts for K.Drake by the Jacobs owner.
Me likey
I can't get a bag of chips for Hurts in my start 1 qb dynasty league.  I own Wentz and Hurts and I approached 5 different owners trying to get a low-to-mid 3rd rounder for either and I got nothing but "thanks but no thanks."

Edit: one or two of my offers may have targeted very late 2nd rounders.

I can't get a bag of chips for Hurts in my start 1 qb dynasty league.  I own Wentz and Hurts and I approached 5 different owners trying to get a low-to-mid 3rd rounder for either and I got nothing but "thanks but no thanks."

Edit: one or two of my offers may have targeted very late 2nd rounders.
Funny, right after the Wentz trade I moved 2.08 for Hurts. I am not sure what people don't like. He is going rack up so many fantasy points next year. 

Funny, right after the Wentz trade I moved 2.08 for Hurts. I am not sure what people don't like. He is going rack up so many fantasy points next year. 
League dynamics and personal preferences I suppose. Looking back on the discussion history, I actually suggested Hurts for the 2.06, and the response was, paraphrasing, "I'm cool with Mayfield as my #1."). 

Got no response at all on a suggestion of Hurts for the 3.02 and 3.10, and all he has at QB is Goff.  That's it - Goff.

League dynamics and personal preferences I suppose. Looking back on the discussion history, I actually suggested Hurts for the 2.06, and the response was, paraphrasing, "I'm cool with Mayfield as my #1."). 

Got no response at all on a suggestion of Hurts for the 3.02 and 3.10, and all he has at QB is Goff.  That's it - Goff.
I think that guy is really going to regret that decision. Rotounderworld is really bullish on him. They have him rated higher for dynasty than Burrow and any QB in this draft. 

So little respect for the kid who was the #3 QB during the fantasy playoffs after coming in cold.  
And look at what he did at Oklahoma. Compare that to Mayfield and Kyler. Crazy that those 2 went first overall in the NFL draft but Hurts isn’t given anywhere near the same level of respect by the league or fans. I think his ceiling is massive.

And look at what he did at Oklahoma. Compare that to Mayfield and Kyler. Crazy that those 2 went first overall in the NFL draft but Hurts isn’t given anywhere near the same level of respect by the league or fans. I think his ceiling is massive.
Hurts wasn't given nearly the respect by Lincoln Riley as the other two, either. He called a simpler game with lesser requirements and fewer opportunities to make big-time throws. I don't have much of an opinion as to if it was warranted, but play dynamic was significantly reduced in Hurts' year as compared to Baker/Kyler, in my observation.

Hurts wasn't given nearly the respect by Lincoln Riley as the other two, either. He called a simpler game with lesser requirements and fewer opportunities to make big-time throws. I don't have much of an opinion as to if it was warranted, but play dynamic was significantly reduced in Hurts' year as compared to Baker/Kyler, in my observation.
Interesting.Do think time in the program had anything to do with it? Baker was there 3 years, Kyler 2 years and Hurts just 1. I wonder if Bakers first year starting the offense was opened up fully or if it took time? I know Hurts doesn’t have a monster throwing arm but neither does Mayfield. 

I think it’s a fear of the unknown. His variance of outcomes last year, in a very small sample size, was very large. And there’s probably some recency bias with his last horrible start.

Couple that with a new coaching staff that has not exactly come out and said we want to build around Hurts (despite the Wentz trade and alleged owner comments). Thus there’s a lot of concern about whether he’s closer to the guy that shot out of the gates or the guy who fell flat down the stretch. We’ll see I guess.

I think it’s a fear of the unknown. His variance of outcomes last year, in a very small sample size, was very large. And there’s probably some recency bias with his last horrible start.

Couple that with a new coaching staff that has not exactly come out and said we want to build around Hurts (despite the Wentz trade and alleged owner comments). Thus there’s a lot of concern about whether he’s closer to the guy that shot out of the gates or the guy who fell flat down the stretch. We’ll see I guess.
Sure but ADP wise right now for single QB leagues we are likely to see Fields and Lance go early to late 2nd. They are even more unknown than Hurts. Hurts last start was bad but also they were trying to lose that game. The Eagles may not have said a lot of positive things about Hurts but every action they have made says Hurts is our guy and we aren't in a hurry to replace him. Traded Wentz, moved back in the draft where it's likely given the hot market that even Mac Jones is gone by 12.They signed Flacco who poses no threat. Hurts gets an offseason to work with the starters and the team can implement an offense that suits him plus likely new weapons in the draft.

It's easy to say he doesn't have the longerm projectable safety of a job like a QB that gets taken in the top 15 but those guys really only have that safety if they are good. Haskins and Rosen are reminders that no matter how much draft capital a team places in a QB, teams will still cut ties quickly if they don't perform. What Hurts has that very few QBs have is the virtual guarantee that when he is playing, he is a QB1 for fantasy. We don't need to wonder how he will perform for fantasy, we just need him to play well enough in real life to keep his job. 

The cool thing about Hurts is that fantasy managers got him so cheap in rookie drafts it doesn't matter if he succeeds or not. Anything he does positive is gravy. 

He started 3 full games and was QB12, QB11 and QB2 those weeks, QB3 overall. If I'm understanding you correctly he had a variance but that variance ranged from low end QB1 to THE QB2.

And even that last horrible start was not horrible for fantasy, at least had he got to finish.

think it’s a fear of the unknown. His variance of outcomes last year, in a very small sample size, was very large. And there’s probably some recency bias with his last horrible start.
 He started 3 full games and was QB12, QB11 and QB2 those weeks, QB3 overall. If I'm understanding you correctly he had a variance but that variance ranged from low end QB1 to THE QB2.

And even that last horrible start was not horrible for fantasy, at least had he got to finish.

Edited 1 minute ago by menobrown
Fair enough. Fantasy wise it wasn’t that wide, but in real NFL terms it sure seemed to be. But I guess we only care about fantasy unless he gets benched.

Fair enough. Fantasy wise it wasn’t that wide, but in real NFL terms it sure seemed to be. But I guess we only care about fantasy unless he gets benched.
Thanks and I was not sure if you meant fantasy or real life which is what I was trying to ask. But yes,  I think that last line you said summed it up. With someone like him I have a fairly high confidence level he can produce in fantasy, but do worry if he stinks he sees the bench which is not a concern that I would have with any other top fantasy QB.

Sure but ADP wise right now for single QB leagues we are likely to see Fields and Lance go early to late 2nd. They are even more unknown than Hurts. Hurts last start was bad but also they were trying to lose that game. The Eagles may not have said a lot of positive things about Hurts but every action they have made says Hurts is our guy and we aren't in a hurry to replace him. Traded Wentz, moved back in the draft where it's likely given the hot market that even Mac Jones is gone by 12.They signed Flacco who poses no threat. Hurts gets an offseason to work with the starters and the team can implement an offense that suits him plus likely new weapons in the draft.

It's easy to say he doesn't have the longerm projectable safety of a job like a QB that gets taken in the top 15 but those guys really only have that safety if they are good. Haskins and Rosen are reminders that no matter how much draft capital a team places in a QB, teams will still cut ties quickly if they don't perform. What Hurts has that very few QBs have is the virtual guarantee that when he is playing, he is a QB1 for fantasy. We don't need to wonder how he will perform for fantasy, we just need him to play well enough in real life to keep his job. 
I agree with you - just was theorizing why people are a bit gun shy about him. He does bring a lot of upside with his legs, but unfortunately it’s becoming less of an edge these days with so many mobile QBs.

I agree with you - just was theorizing why people are a bit gun shy about him. He does bring a lot of upside with his legs, but unfortunately it’s becoming less of an edge these days with so many mobile QBs.
Interesting point about if we hit a point in a couple years where half the league has mobile QBs and the advantage is watered down. Who knows how he plays this year when they have an offense tailored to him and they need him to last a full season but he was on pace for 1400/12 on the ground. Even in this day of mobile QBs, that kind of rushing is difference making.

Ilov80s said:
Interesting point about if we hit a point in a couple years where half the league has mobile QBs and the advantage is watered down. Who knows how he plays this year when they have an offense tailored to him and they need him to last a full season but he was on pace for 1400/12 on the ground. Even in this day of mobile QBs, that kind of rushing is difference making.
Seems like we’re close to there already.

Ilov80s said:
Interesting.Do think time in the program had anything to do with it? Baker was there 3 years, Kyler 2 years and Hurts just 1. I wonder if Bakers first year starting the offense was opened up fully or if it took time? I know Hurts doesn’t have a monster throwing arm but neither does Mayfield. 
My take (no representation of its veracity) is that Hurts was more of a guy that could hit open guys, whereas Mayfield and Murray could throw guys open. When you're throwing to CeeDee Lamb against Big 12 defenses, that's usually gonna be enough for huge numbers.

I think Hurts is a pretty bright guy that put in the work and was there for spring ball, so my guess is that time in the system wasn't a huge consideration, but certainly just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread