What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (1 Viewer)

Local Philly sports talk hinting that this whole thing was a fishy ploy just to hold Hurts out for the game. It's all a sham...
Local Philly Sports radio is in the business of making #### up for ratings. It's not interesting enough that Hurts is held out. Has to be a conspiracy.

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Should we be comfortable in starting Jalen Hurts after an offseason of knowing he is "the guy"?

Yes. He was the ninth-best fantasy quarterback over the final four games of his rookie season despite playing behind an injury-ravaged offensive line and for an organization that was in full meltdown mode. The offensive front is healthier, the Eagles added reigning Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith and coach Nick Sirianni's offense has been tailored to fit Hurts' skill set. Given that he can attack a defense with his arm and his legs, expect plenty of production. -- Tim McManus

Hurts is a better fantasy QB than real QB because of his rushing.  I think he will be a great asset for 2021, but could easily get replaced next year.

Took Dak out at the last minute due to matchup.  Probably won't do that again but hoping Hurts can come close this week!

Ooookkkk that was bad on primetime. I think he'll be fine for fantasy all year as the backups are truthfully not good, but he was not good today. I traded for him last week, feel like I bought fool's gold now though (Stafford was part of the package :(  ) I was convinced I needed a running QB this year to compete and win, but here we are.

I'm curious to see how he bounces back against KC this Sunday. Everyone's been super hard on him tonight, I guess that comes with the territory. All I've read is how amazing a worker he is, dedicated, and he's got a high grade on PFF already. So what's the deal? There's also some really good plays, along with some plays where I am not sure what's going on. 

This feels like Jameis a few years ago, or Blake Bortles, where it was just brutal watching but the final stat line is fine. Ugh, can't believe I was sold this guy, but I think he'll be good for fantasy. Can't see a 0 pt game for him ever. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jalen Hurts completed 25-of-39 passes for 326 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Eagles' 41-21, Week 3 loss to the Cowboys Monday night.

He carried the ball a team-high nine times for 35 yards, as Miles Sanders and Kenneth Gainwell accounted for a whopping three carries. The Eagles trailed 20-7 at halftime and were behind as much as 41-14 in the fourth quarter. A large portion of Hurts' production came when this game was already well out of hand, as he went to the half with 102 scoreless yards and an interception. His second pick was a pick-six right to CB Trevon Diggs to start the third quarter. Hurts looked about as bad as we've seen him in the NFL in this one before garbage-time touchdowns to Zach Ertz and Greg Ward. Hurts' leash is probably shortening after the last two weeks, but he'll be involved in a Week 4 high-octane game with the Chiefs as a fantasy QB1.

Sep 27, 2021, 11:31 PM ET

Can we still trust him?

Still put up 24 points in my league, but he did most of his damage in garbage time. 1 of his interceptions wasn't really his fault imo with Smith falling down. The other one was a terrible under throw. He had some ugly throws last night, but also had some where the intended target should have caught them (Goedert and Smith).

Can we still trust him?

Still put up 24 points in my league, but he did most of his damage in garbage time. 1 of his interceptions wasn't really his fault imo with Smith falling down. The other one was a terrible under throw. He had some ugly throws last night, but also had some where the intended target should have caught them (Goedert and Smith).
I think that you prefer he soaks up those points rather than not. Maybe to some degree it shows he is relatively matchup proof. Having said this, imagine it comes down to your other options. I will likely bench him in the one league I have him because my other option is Herbert. Riding hot hand there. But if I had more of a middling option I would not hesitate to play Hurts. He has a solid floor it seems, so he is trust worthy starter in my opinion. 

Can we still trust him?

I'm going to ride it til the wheels fall off. This is next level of Bortles / Winston where he can run and also can score rushing TD's.

However, there is talent here. I don't think he's horrible- yesterday was top to bottom just trash, and he didn't show up. Tough crowd in Philly, and tough org right now not giving him a ton of support, which is odd since they couldn't wait to ship off Wentz.

For fantasy? Sure....trustworthy as long as he's still starting (which will be all year).

Dynasty/longer term? One of his biggest issues is and continues to be accuracy. He left a LOT of plays on the field last night, plays an average NFL passer makes. MANY of his throws, even when not under duress, were off target. He's a likeable kid with a strong work ethic and (reportedly) positive leadership traits, but he's still a longshot to ever be more then a higher end backup. He's holding the place for the first rounder Philly will draft this year (Philly has multiple 1s for the next draft)

Matchup against KC this week, If the Eagles lose this game do the Philly fans revolt against him regardless of his performance or maybe they will want the head coach's head on a spike? On the plus side, Philly fans could praise him if the Eagles do some how pull out the victory since it such a tall task. 

As has been said already, he seems to have an awfully high floor. His performance was blasted, and Dak's was lauded, and they both scored the same in my league.

Matchup against KC this week, If the Eagles lose this game do the Philly fans revolt against him regardless of his performance or maybe they will want the head coach's head on a spike? On the plus side, Philly fans could praise him if the Eagles do some how pull out the victory since it such a tall task. 

This has blowup game potential since the KC Defense is so dang bad and now he's playing at home- hopefully the fans support him, he is really beloved by the team and the fans from what I know, but it's a fickle sports town.

That Cowboys game was tough- MNF and their first home game of the season, in a crowded and loud environment. Fans were seriously fired up and so was the team considering it's been empty. Not many excuses here though for some of Hurts failures, but he shows boom / bust potential for fantasy and his playmaking, but his busts are not 14-16 pt games. 

Eagles probably won't win due to how bad they looked Monday and their defense is probably gassed still- tough task stopping Mahomes.

Anything can happen though. I think Hurts has a 20 pt floor every week with 2 rushing TD ceilings which is crazy enough

I prefer QBs that rush for 40 yards a week minimum over any pocket passer (aside from probably Brady since his TD rate is absurd)

Hurts is way better in FF than I gave him credit for in the rest of the season ranking topic.  I was 1000% wrong about that. 

My bad. Yummy crow. 

Jalen Hurts completed 32-of-48 passes for 387 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 47 yards on eight carries in Week 4 against the Chiefs.

Hurts was the Eagles leading rusher; the Eagles didn't even attempt to establish a run game for the second straight week, with Miles Sanders and Kenneth Gainwell combining for 10 carries. Hurts played turnover-free, but he took three sacks, and struggled to move the offense in the second half, with his second touchdown not coming until the final play of the fourth quarter. Hurts has averaged 357 yards per game with four touchdowns over the last two weeks. The Panthers' top-ranked secondary is a shy-away matchup in Week 5.

Hurts really looked good yesterday. He’s such a threat to run that defenses are going to struggle with coverage being pulled deep and opening up the running lane for him. Jalen and the offense is going to score, it’s the defense that’s going to be the death of this team. No linebackers and dead weight like Barnett are hurting them. Hurts to Smith will pay dividends.

If didn't do much entails 4 TD's, well I hope Hurts doesn't do much against CAR either. 
Ugh darnit, I guess I meant the yards. Yards are a more sticky stat, and Dallas was at home. Carolina at home is a bit of a different animal

47.5 over under with Panthers basically 25.5-22.5 implied. Good news is that Hurts is responsible for basically all of the Eagles points lol 

I though Hurts looked very good in the KC game. Room for improvement, but plenty of positives (good reads, some great throws, smart throw-aways, etc.) in a game that the D couldn't keep close. 

The general attitude from any media/FF outlet still seems to be quite negative. Am I missing something? Everything about this kid seems like a pre-determined narrative that people are unable to give honest reconsideration.

Hurts may not be a great NFL QB but he seems to be a good FFL play.  Can can move the ball and score and with Philly's defense, he always seems to be coming from behind.  The last two games, he's been coming from behind and has compiled lots of points late in the game. 

I may not play him against Carolina but many weeks he can score well enough to contribute to a positive FFL outcome...

I though Hurts looked very good in the KC game. Room for improvement, but plenty of positives (good reads, some great throws, smart throw-aways, etc.) in a game that the D couldn't keep close. 

The general attitude from any media/FF outlet still seems to be quite negative. Am I missing something? Everything about this kid seems like a pre-determined narrative that people are unable to give honest reconsideration.
Philly and their fans are as fickle as the direction of the wind.

But I agree with other posters that he is excellent for fantasy football but not sure if he has it from a starting QB perspective. Someone like DAK was way later in draft capital, so it's not over for Hurts. This is really his first real year as a starter- I'm not sure why the expectations are so sky high for him. After that Cardinals game last year it's like everyone got drunk on his talent.

I personally like him. I think he has "it." And when you have "it", plus a hard worker and want to be better / great, generally you can make it in the league as an average / plus athlete 

Jalen Hurts completed 22-of-37 passes for 198 yards and an interception in the Eagles' 21-18, Week 5 win over the Panthers, adding nine carries for 30 yards and two touchdowns.

Hurts also added a two-point conversion pass to DeVonta Smith. It wasn't a pretty outing for Hurts but he got the job done. He struggled to dial in his deep ball, missing Quez Watkins on a free play that would've resulted in a touchdown early in the game. His line also struggled at times, most notably when Haason Reddick sacked him on consecutive plays. Hurts was forced to use his legs to avoid pressure often and also took a few too many dump-offs that resulted in negative yardage. His rushing production saved an otherwise lackluster fantasy day but that's to be expected with Hurts. He gets a great matchup with a weakened Tampa Bay secondary next week. Per usual, he's a locked-in QB1 for Week 6. 

Oct 10, 2021, 4:39 PM ET

Jalen Hurts completed 12-of-26 passes for 115 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Eagles' 28-22, Week 6 loss to the Bucs, adding 10 carries for 44 yards and two additional scores. 

In a repeat of Week 5, Hurts was drawing dead from a fantasy perspective until scoring a pair of rushing touchdowns in the game's final 18 minutes. Unlike Week 5, he couldn't complete a comeback this evening, though the Eagles did draw to within 28-22 with 5:56 remaining after being down 28-7. They might have gotten a shot at the lead if not for a dubious taunting penalty. Hurts' best passing tactic was underthrown deep balls, as he managed to rack up an astounding 95 yards in defensive pass interference penalties. The Bucs had more penalty yards called on them than any team all season. Hurts flat out missed too many throws, though he also kept plays alive with his legs time and again. It's a tradeoff that has made for some hard to watch football, a few Houdini wins and a lot of fantasy points. The man is simply incapable of finishing outside the top 12 at quarterback. We aren't sure how long he can keep up the high-wire act, but the Raiders are unlikely to slow him in Week 7. 

Oct 14, 2021, 11:39 PM ET

Well, the flaws that feed the negative narrative were on display last night. Some inaccurate throws short and just flat out terrible deep balls. Slow to process (Aikman pointed out a few examples of that last night) and even some of the RPO decisions were bad, keeping the ball to get smothered immediately. Some fixable things there so there's optimism... but I'm not sure the coaching staff in place is competent enough to fix anything. That game looked like a scrimmage between the varsity team and the JV team. The Bucs certainly have a more talented group of players on both sides of the ball but it takes some pretty poor coaching to make the talent gap look that obvious. 

Despite the monster numbers, I am nervous. Seems like without a few plays here and there, he would be a below average fantasy QB. 

Despite the monster numbers, I am nervous. Seems like without a few plays here and there, he would be a below average fantasy QB. 

This has pretty much been the Jalen Hurts experience this year. I'm thinking of 3 games, the SF game in week 2 and these last two games were he's entered or is deep into the 4th quarter and sitting on what looks like sub 10 point disaster of a game and I'm watching it all distraught only for him to find a way.

All of these games he had 1 or more rushing TD's in the 4th quarter.

It's certainly has made me nervous these weeks as I own him a lot in general but specifically in some very key spots. It would make sense to conclude he's eventually going to not run for a TD and bail himself out for fantasy. But....

He just finds a way every week and we are now up to 9 full games for him and worst fantasy game out of those 9 was his first start last year when he had 22.95 fantasy points in typical 4 TD leagues . And that, his worst game and first career start, would work out to QB11 in PPG this year.

And the reason for the consistency and every week production, and reason to have hope it continues, is not just the rushing numbers but the fact the entire offense runs through him. With the lack of running game it's hard for anyone on the Eagles to score a fantasy point without Hurts getting some.

Jalen Hurts has the biggest gap between their value as a "real life player" and "fake football player" than any other QB on a roster right now.  Not since Blake Bortles was putting up garbage time stats for the Jaguars has such a wide gap been evident when you watch the player play vs. looking at their accumulated stats.

With the draft equity the Eagles have stocked up, Hurts strikes me as an definite sell in dynasty.  Ride the train in redraft.

Jalen Hurts has the biggest gap between their value as a "real life player" and "fake football player" than any other QB on a roster right now.  Not since Blake Bortles was putting up garbage time stats for the Jaguars has such a wide gap been evident when you watch the player play vs. looking at their accumulated stats.

With the draft equity the Eagles have stocked up, Hurts strikes me as an definite sell in dynasty.  Ride the train in redraft.
I have Dak and Hurts in the same league and the disconnect between watching them play and how many fantasy points they score is hard to comprehend.

I agree and disagree. They were within 5 of the Superbowl champs. If the defense makes a stop eagles had a real chance to win. If Tampa didn't PI on two long bombs hurts has a lot more yards. The offensive line was not giving hurts any time. At the same time I agree he's not going to be the starter past this year most likely but the eagles are going to see what they have in him the rest of the year so they can decide how to use their first round draft picks next year.

At the same time I agree he's not going to be the starter past this year most likely but the eagles are going to see what they have in him the rest of the year so they can decide how to use their first round draft picks next year.
The Eagles see what they have.  A QB who can't process, can't see beyond his first read, and has legs.  He's a not an NFL QB.

The Eagles see what they have.  A QB who can't process, can't see beyond his first read, and has legs.  He's a not an NFL QB.
You're right they are going to roll out menshew going forward instead of continuing coaching and evaluating a QB who has some upside.

Just remember, Hurts has only started 10 games in his career. He looks a lot like how Lamar looked his first 8 NFL starts when people had basically written him off as an NFL passer.

IDK, there are certainly many similarities but Lamar has a cannon for an arm. Being able to threaten the D with a deep game does wonders for running lanes and the underneath passing game. 

You're gonna lose the freaking locker room if they go to Minshew. The team voted Hurts as a captain- they clearly like him. I think he still can improve.

This offense and coaching is a joke though. How do you not run at the TB defense on a short week? They had literally no one behind them on the front 4. David and Winfield are out. They should've just kept running and see if they can beat them down on a short week.

I wasn't convinced TB's run defense was any good last night on a short week. Eagles didn't even try it 

Anyways, the Ertz trade might've lost the locker room already. They know they are going no where and all veterans are probably on the block. 

Users who are viewing this thread