What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (2 Viewers)

I hate this.

Very happy he's healthy but I still can't see starting him this week.  Hope he stakes a strong claim for the job, or fails colossally (preferably the former) so at least I will have some resolution going into week 4.

I would love to start Sermon this week. But I'll probably have to start James White instead. I think I'd rather see it for a week then take a chance this Sunday.

I would love to start Sermon this week. But I'll probably have to start James White instead. I think I'd rather see it for a week then take a chance this Sunday.
I'm in a similar spot between James White, Sermon & Kyle Pitts for my final flex spot.

Hard not to go with White in that situation as he will always offer some PPR value.

HOWEVER, if we find out that Mitchell is out before early kickoffs on Sunday (he's already doubtful) I could see making that last minute substitution.

I hate this.

Very happy he's healthy but I still can't see starting him this week.  Hope he stakes a strong claim for the job, or fails colossally (preferably the former) so at least I will have some resolution going into week 4.

I would, however, consider starting Sermon as a flex over Cordarrelle Patterson and Rondale Moore.

I'm in a similar spot between James White, Sermon & Kyle Pitts for my final flex spot.

Hard not to go with White in that situation as he will always offer some PPR value.

HOWEVER, if we find out that Mitchell is out before early kickoffs on Sunday (he's already doubtful) I could see making that last minute substitution.

How often do players go from doubtful to active? It's pretty uncommon as far as I recall.

I can't ever see myself starting him over Carson this week, but GB's defense looks pretty terrible. I could completely see him going for 80-100 and a td. Add to that GB down to their 3rd LT, and it could get interesting if SF can take a nice lead.

I can't ever see myself starting him over Carson this week, but GB's defense looks pretty terrible. I could completely see him going for 80-100 and a td. Add to that GB down to their 3rd LT, and it could get interesting if SF can take a nice lead.
100% agree.

Over Carson? No way.

Carson is the lead back on a high powered offense. He gets short yardage and is involved in the passing game.

He's no Dalvin but he's a high end starter.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said RB Trey Sermon has "been great all week."

Sermon got the majority of first-team reps in practice with Elijah Mitchell (doubtful, shoulder) and JaMycal Hasty (ankle) sidelined. After being a healthy scratch Week 1 and getting just one carry last week, Sermon is in line to start Sunday night, though that could change if the 49ers upgrade Mitchell, who got in a limited practice Friday, to questionable. There's a good chance Sermon has an expanded role even if Mitchell plays, giving him FLEX value for a potential high-scoring game with the Packers. With only Trenton Cannon and practice squad RB Jacques Patrick behind him, Sermon has workhorse upside if Mitchell sits.

RELATED: 

Elijah Mitchell

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 24, 2021, 7:14 PM ET

I’m drawing dead this week given the CmC Thursday night dud, so if Mitchell is out I’m leaning towards starting him over Robinson for the upside. I figure what the hell. That GB defense looks bad and if nothing else it will make SNF more interesting. 

Given that GB defense, and if the only competition in the backfield is Cannon and the XFL kid, I could see Trey doing some damage this week.

I’m drawing dead this week given the CmC Thursday night dud, so if Mitchell is out I’m leaning towards starting him over Robinson for the upside. I figure what the hell. That GB defense looks bad and if nothing else it will make SNF more interesting. 

Given that GB defense, and if the only competition in the backfield is Cannon and the XFL kid, I could see Trey doing some damage this week.
Feels like Sermon (assuming Mitchell sits) will need an injury or fumble to miss a solid RB2 game Sunday night. 

I have Sermon in two leagues. If Mitchell is definitely out, then...

Starting Ty'son Williams and James White (PPR) over Sermon in a Guillotine league because of the higher floors.

Non-PPR, starting Sermon over Jamaal Williams and Melvin Gordon in flex. Sermon could get a zero but I think his worse day would be comparable to Williams and Gordon's week 2 but if he gets all the carries I think he has a higher ceiling.

Would you start Sermon over CEH?

I didn't like CEH and have him on any of my draft lists. Had Carson, Jacobs, Edwards, Montgomery over him. I did believe in Sermon and drafted him wherever I could. Given we're only two weeks in I'd go with Sermon because that's what all my summer research led me to conclude. 

However, if someone felt strong enough to draft CEH, then I think you ride him out as there should have been a reason you were so high on him and two weeks shouldn't be enough for you to cave in. 

I think its a crap shoot and it's all about your level of confidence. Maybe they both get around 15 carries. Do you lack enough confidence in CEH that you would rather go with an unknown? Or do you still believe there's a chance CEH breaks out with that amount of carries? You ask a lot of people and I think they lean towards the former but they also probably didn't draft him for that reason. 

Didn’t draft Sermon with Mostert in the picture. Traded for Trey last week and happily starting him this weekend. Excited to watch this game to see how the kid looks in a good matchup vs Green Bay.

I can't blame anyone who wants to wait and see with mostert going down, but at the same time some people just can't admit they might have wasted a draft pick.  Not enough bench spots in my league for practice squad scrubs who are third or fourth on the depth chart. (I know he is technically active now). 
Bump

Now that it seems Trey is playing and Mitchell is out I am in a quandary.  Too many choices.  In a standard Non-PPR league I have to choose for flex

Trey, T Williams, J Conner, L Murray. 

Now that it seems Trey is playing and Mitchell is out I am in a quandary.  Too many choices.  In a standard Non-PPR league I have to choose for flex

Ty'son seems like the obvious choice IMO.

Jamesinaz said:

Williams. If you need a home run swing, Sermon

In FFPC (TE Premium) I’m considering Sermon vs Cook TE LAC, Pascal (already starting Pittman if Wentz is healthy) or Javante Williams. 
if Sermon is healthy and named the starter, feeling like I have to roll with him over my other options. 

killface said:
I'm rolling him out there...this is his chance.  Hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder
This is how I feel.  With acknowledgment that Kyle Shanahan is starting to make Bell Bellichick's RB rotation predictable in comparison I just think this week is Sermons shot , he knows it, and even if KS wanted to throw a everyone a curveball, and he might, his options to effectively do that this week while not zero are limited.

Also it just dawned on me that Sermon is not only on a 2 game streak of getting hurt on his first carry  but in his fairly brief playing history he's had exactly 4 games I'm aware were he went down on his first carry.

Last week.

The National Championship game.

2019 against Iowa St.

2018 against Kansas.

I may or may not puckered up until he makes it to carry 2.

Blind post, haven't read the hype since like Thursday, maybe early yesterday...let me guess, they've signed 3 more RBs to the practice squad and Brutus the Barber Beefcake is suiting up on Sunday. 

Jamesinaz said:

Trey, T Williams, J Conner, L Murray
Way too many names on that list, it's really about two guys. If Williams is the Baltimore RB, he's been solid so far but you know Jackson is the go to RB on that team. I might be inclined to trade Williams while you can since you seem to think all 4 of these are worth noting 😉

Cheers

Trip Hot take alert,

Trey Sermon is twice the running back that TySon Williams is.
I hope you read my post above, I am endorsing trading this guy while you can. 

And FTR since I had a post where I quoted everyone and challenged some to unwrap the love for this guy...i already drafted him in several leagues and on the verge of cutting him in a few but somehow managed to retrieve him in the only league where I hit the guillotine on Tuesday so I believe you all and am riding shotgun with everyone else. Not sure i can start him over guys like Kenyan Drake and Javonte Williams as examples simply because so far this guy has...

1 Carry and 1 Concussion...just sayin' 😂

I hope you read my post above, I am endorsing trading this guy while you can. 

And FTR since I had a post where I quoted everyone and challenged some to unwrap the love for this guy...i already drafted him in several leagues and on the verge of cutting him in a few but somehow managed to retrieve him in the only league where I hit the guillotine on Tuesday so I believe you all and am riding shotgun with everyone else. Not sure i can start him over guys like Kenyan Drake and Javonte Williams as examples simply because so far this guy has...

1 Carry and 1 Concussion...just sayin' 😂
Traded Ty’son for Sutton after week 1.

Own Sermon and ready to watch him play fail in the Shanahannigans running back offense.

Starting with the utmost unconfidence.

You know what they say about using the word assume… it makes Shanahan make an ### out of U and ME.
I get it but it doesn't concern me. There is no way they only have three active RBs and one of them isn't a full time ST, unless someone gets hurt.

I am confident Sermon will not be playing ST so that leaves Patrick & Kerryon.  My guess is it's Patrick.

Leaning towards starting Sermon at flex over Drake, Corey Davis, Pittman.  Packers defense has looked terrible 

Kerryon Johnson promoted to the active roster.
13-78-TD, 2-17 and leaves the game in the 4th Q, Sermon takes over and looks explosive on 5-35 performance but leaves everyone wondering how KJ became the feature back and SF signs three more guys on Monday to help the shoulder the load 😂  FTLG and all things holy...and then there is a John Riggins like RB somewhere on this roster. 

The Diesel 

Considering shanty just benched him for some reason, I tend to think he won’t turn the keys over to him this week and probably top out at 50 percent of the rb touches.

Users who are viewing this thread