What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

OK thanks for that info.  In past years I've reconnected right away.  I think my last reconnect deal was still under Directv so maybe with ATT it's different?  I 'll wait a few days to see what happens.

I had to wait 2 days last year - all the years prior yeah it was the next morning after they shut it off around midnight or so.

so yeah - hopefully you'll get all the freebies with a 3 day wait.

Attempt #2 to reconnect went as bad as my first attempt.  No offer from Winback and a measly $10 off offer from Loyalty. This is about as close as I have been in 20 years of having to leave Directv.  I don't get it unless they have identified that customers like me that gets only standard service without any premium ad ons are not worth keeping.  Equipment has to be returned in 3 weeks so I will make one more attempt in a couple of weeks.

They might be doing me a favor since I can get Youtube TV at $10 off/month through my T-Moile account.  The problem with YTTV is that my hockey and baseball RSN is not carried.  I think I have a way to stream that so when hockey season starts I'll test it out and if it does not work out then I'll have to go to Fubo or Directv Stream which does carry the RSN that I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attempt #2 to reconnect went as bad as my first attempt.  No offer from Winback and a measly $10 off offer from Loyalty. This is about as close as I have been in 20 years of having to leave Directv.  I don't get it unless they have identified that customers like me that gets only standard service without any premium ad ons are not worth keeping.  Equipment has to be returned in 3 weeks so I will make one more attempt in a couple of weeks.

They might be doing me a favor since I can get Youtube TV at $10 off/month through my T-Moile account.  The problem with YTTV is that my hockey and baseball RSN is not carried.  I think I have a way to stream that so when hockey season starts I'll test it out and if it does not work out then I'll have to go to Fubo or Directv Stream which does carry the RSN that I need.

why are you going to the loyalty group?

if you have been disconnected for a few days - you should go to the new customer department.

why are you going to the loyalty group?

if you have been disconnected for a few days - you should go to the new customer department.
I started with Winback and the CSR kept telling me that she needed to activate the account in order to gather info on offers.  I told her several times that's not right as I have been disconnected for 2 days and I want a Winback offer.  She had me convinced that was how they do it and that if I did not accept an offer then the account can be disconnected without my being on the hook for a month service charge.  After a little bit of back and forth that I don't think my account should need to be reactivated to get an offer I told her to do it.  And yes I knew it wasn't right.

After reactivating the account, which by the way she did totally wrong because I had no HD or DVR service on the account so she did not activate those options, she transferred me to loyalty where I got the most terrific offer of $10 off per month.   I told that guy no thank you and I want to stay disconnected and not be charged for the billing cycle.  He said that can be done since there is a 24 hour grace period after reconnection.  Not sure if that is true but anyhow I asked him why the Winback CSR insisted on reconnecting me first.  He said that there probably was not any Winback offer on my acount so she sent me to loyalty.  I told him that the Winback CSR never said that there is no offer to give me and that I knew it was not right that she insisted on reconnecting me.  He agreed and I confirmed that when I call back Winback again that I should not be reconnected without an offer. 

So a little aggravation but all is good except now my disconnect date becomes the 8th instead of the 6th.  I will wait a week to call Winback to see if I get an offer.  But I am leaning toward leaving Directv at this point.  YTTV is pretty good so there isn't a reason to hassle with the Disconnect/Winback/Reconnect game. 

man ...I don't know what to tell you other than based on my experience with those people - you don't want the winback department.

you want to be a new customer and talk to the new customer department.  If you have to send your equipment back (which I had to this last time - do that).  

I don't have Directv, but I'm still trying to buy the Sunday ticket stream that Directv offers.  Having trouble because it thinks I have Directv, old account, etc.   Disappointed to see that here we are at week 5 and the price still hasn't dropped and is still $293.

MLB package drops their price progressively as the season goes on.  Not sure why it's not the same for Sunday ticket.

Binky The Doormat said:
man ...I don't know what to tell you other than based on my experience with those people - you don't want the winback department.

you want to be a new customer and talk to the new customer department.  If you have to send your equipment back (which I had to this last time - do that).  
Hi OK thanks for that info.  I thought that you had to be disconnected for 6 months or so before being able to sign up again as a new customer.  Can you tell me how long you were disconnected before you signed up as a new customer?   Sending back equipment and waiting is no problem since if I stay disconnected I have to do that anyhow, but what is weird is on my return instructions thet want my ancient HR24 but they do not want the Genie HR44 I have.

Mailed back all of the directv hardware today. 

I have had youtube tv all week and I love it.  My bill is lower than anything I ever got from directv and I have redzone.  Never going back and never doing the dance again.   

need2know said:

I have had youtube tv all week and I love it.  My bill is lower than anything I ever got from directv and I have redzone.  Never going back and never doing the dance again.   

ATT seems to be on a mission to drive away subscribers.  I have not received any Winback offer from them after almost a week of disconnection.  So I just started a 2 week trial of YTTV.  It seems a little clunky to navigate the guide and it's confusing that old syndiacted episodes of shows are lumped in with current season episodes.  Does it just take some getting used to?  Thanks.

ATT seems to be on a mission to drive away subscribers.  I have not received any Winback offer from them after almost a week of disconnection.  So I just started a 2 week trial of YTTV.  It seems a little clunky to navigate the guide and it's confusing that old syndiacted episodes of shows are lumped in with current season episodes.  Does it just take some getting used to?  Thanks.
Yeah. I am not having any issues so far.  Sorry you are

Man, I dont know if i got an intern or something, but what a waste of time that first call was.

Currently paying about $160 for the Xtra package, HBO, showtime, cinemax and Starz and the regional sports package. 3 TV's (1 normal receiver and 2 wireless mini genies). $60 a month discount set to expire next week. So I'll be at freaking $220 once the discount goes away.

Took a look back at last year when I last called. They gave me the $60 a month discount, $15 a month for 3 months off the movie channels and free Sunday ticket.

First the guy tried to get me to drop down to a lower package (no-go due to a bunch of sports stuff) and then offered me a whopping $5 a month off HBO for 3 months. Wow....what an offer. No offer on Sunday ticket even though I brought it up like 4 times. So I just scheduled cancellation for November 1st.

I'll try calling back again next week to see if I can get someone with some actual authority, but if not....I'm gonna have to price out a move to Verizon Fios.

No wonder this company is just casually bleeding to death.

Called again today. (my discounts officially ran off last week). Now, the person i talked to is claiming that discounts might not be showing up because I've already scheduled my disconnect. Asked me if I wanted to cancel my disconnect to see if any deals came through.

Just a bunch of nonsense. I'm not gonna play their little games to see if their computer system is gonna catch up. You either want my business or you don't. Pretty clear what the answer is, so I'll look elsewhere. Gonna explore the option with cable but it looks youtube TV is gonna be a good option as well.

Called again today. (my discounts officially ran off last week). Now, the person i talked to is claiming that discounts might not be showing up because I've already scheduled my disconnect. Asked me if I wanted to cancel my disconnect to see if any deals came through.

Just a bunch of nonsense. I'm not gonna play their little games to see if their computer system is gonna catch up. You either want my business or you don't. Pretty clear what the answer is, so I'll look elsewhere. Gonna explore the option with cable but it looks youtube TV is gonna be a good option as well.

I'm a 20 year customer and always got decent Winback offers that kept me a customer.  This time it's been nothing from Winback and $10 off from Loyalty.  I'm currently on day 3 of a 14 day YTTV trial (14 day trial offer ended on the 14th so you'd be on a 7 day trial) and while it is a little clunkier having to flip through the guide to select a channel instead of entering the channel number I am satisfied with the service.  With the unlimited DVR I can just record every show that I have an interest in without worrrying about running out of space.  I dislike that the DVR does not distinguish first runs from repeats and that it records every episode on every channel but other than getting used to that YTTV has all the channels I really need except for one of my RSN's.  I have a way to stream my team's games that I need to test out during the YTTV trial and if I can watch my team's games then I'll stay with YTTV, otherwise I will have to trial out Fubo which does have the RSN that I need.  Either way I think that I'll be saying good bye to Directv.  They actually did me a favor by trying to drive me away because I would not have tried out YTTV otherwise.

So after 20 years it's goodbye Directv.  10 days disconnected and the latest offer was a one time credit of $50.  I'm a little shocked that I have not received aa reasonable Winback offer.  But the YTTV trial is going well so there's that.

So after 20 years it's goodbye Directv.  10 days disconnected and the latest offer was a one time credit of $50.  I'm a little shocked that I have not received aa reasonable Winback offer.  But the YTTV trial is going well so there's that.

You shouldn't be getting a winback offer ...you should be out of their system and qualify for all the "new customer" deals.

I don't think you're trying very hard.  

You shouldn't be getting a winback offer ...you should be out of their system and qualify for all the "new customer" deals.

I don't think you're trying very hard.  
I haven't tried going the new customer route yet.  I thought that I would get something from Winback.  I have not sent back my equipment yet so I ight not be out of their system yet.  I will do that and then in a few weeks I'll call to see if I can get a new customer deal.  Do I call the main number for that?  Thanks.

I haven't tried going the new customer route yet.  I thought that I would get something from Winback.  I have not sent back my equipment yet so I ight not be out of their system yet.  I will do that and then in a few weeks I'll call to see if I can get a new customer deal.  Do I call the main number for that?  Thanks.

yes - call the new customer number that is advertised for new customers.

I don't quite understand what happened but I think DTV screwed up. Was waiting for my first bill to verify everything was accurate. I think they actually skipped the first month. Not complaining just confused.

Hmmm maybe not. I should have received my Sep-Oct bill around Sep18 and autobill around end of Sep. The latest bill says it's for Sep-Oct and autopay is Oct 27. I bet I get another bill for Oct-Nov in the next couple of days.

Today I have done the same.  Sent my equipment back and I am not a Directv customer after over 20 years.  They wanted my ancient HR 24 but not the HR44 I have so go figure.  Another poster has suggested that I sign up again as a new customer or I might try Directv Stream so I might not go so far as to say I'm never going back like you have said.  But for now I am liking YTTV so I'll see what the future holds.

ATT must have a reason for wanting long time customers to leave.  I wish I knew what their plan is as they have added me to the millions that have left instead of trying to retain with an offer. 

So i went through the process last summer and one of the perks was three months of movie channels free, but I had to call to cancel before September 1st.  Well, I forgot and calling during the week is tough with my job.  When I try to cancel online, they make me call, so I've been paying for these crap movie channels I don't watch for 3 months.  Then my mother died, and as PR of her estate, I need to cancel her Directv.  Well today I bit the bullet and made the calls.

It went like THIS

I swear to God, I am so done with this garbage company and their garbage service.  

Finally (sort of) concluded my DirecTv experience. Like everyone else, I was used to playing the Winback game, but this year there was no reasonable offer, and the termination of service at the end of my contract went through at the end of July (I chronicled all the adventures I had doing that at the time above). Signed up for Dish, got the boxes and sent the equipment back within a week after termination. I got several phone calls "reminding" me to return the equipment by Aug. 25 and told each rep it had already been done and the Post Office tracking (using their label) showed they got it on Aug. 9.  Sure enough, at the end of August I get a bill for $148 for non-return of equipment and for $3.80 for the two days in August that I had service (even though I had scheduled termination for July 31 and called them on Aug. 1 when my service was still working to make sure they knew it wasn't supposed to be). Called and told them all of that and had to offer to send them a screenshot of the PO tracking info before they said, "Oh, well, don't worry, the bill is based on info from Aug. 2, so there will be a correction next month." End of September, bill comes from DTV: equipment charge has been removed, but still indicates I owe the $3.80. Another call (by now it's the principal of the thing, and since I'm retired, I can afford the time to go through it again). This time the rep has to escalate to a supervisor, who says he'll take care of it (after suggesting I sign up again for "substantial discounts available"). End of October, at least I don't get a bill. Only 4 months to resolve it, right? Then, beginning of November, I get a letter from DTV: they acknowledge the overcharge and have enclosed a prepaid Visa card for the refund balance of 22 cents. Of course, the card has a $1/month service charge, so I need to go buy something with it quickly before that hits.

My Annual Recap

Even though I put the renewal date and billing period on my calendar from last year’s song & dance, I missed the date two months in a row and overpaid due to lost discounts. Oh well.

Disconnected my cables prior to calling so we could still use our DVR’s for recorded shows (important tip for newbies).

Canceled Directv on Wednesday and it was the quickest one ever. No BS wasting time seeing what offers there are. Simply canceled and they didn’t try to talk me out of it. Perfect.

Service was set to shutoff Thursday so I let that “post” overnight and called Winback tonight (Friday) at 888-333-08o4. Ultimate Pkg with 2 TV’s, customer since 2009.

Results:

-$61.01 per month for 12 months.

-$5.00 per month autopay/paperless

-$15.00 One-time credit

$100.00 Visa gift card

Free HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/Epix for 3 months (must cancel; no auto-drop off)

Free 2022 Sunday Ticket Max (no auto-renew)

Offers were definitely worse than past years but I have no other viable options for regional sports and my internet is poor. “Supervisor” wouldn’t bite further on my negotiation tactics.

CSR asked me at the end if I worked for AT&T because I knew all the discounts and key terms. 😄 “No, but this isn’t my first rodeo.” :respect: 😊

My Annual Recap

Even though I put the renewal date and billing period on my calendar from last year’s song & dance, I missed the date two months in a row and overpaid due to lost discounts. Oh well.

Disconnected my cables prior to calling so we could still use our DVR’s for recorded shows (important tip for newbies).

Canceled Directv on Wednesday and it was the quickest one ever. No BS wasting time seeing what offers there are. Simply canceled and they didn’t try to talk me out of it. Perfect.

Service was set to shutoff Thursday so I let that “post” overnight and called Winback tonight (Friday) at 888-333-08o4. Ultimate Pkg with 2 TV’s, customer since 2009.

Results:

-$61.01 per month for 12 months.

-$5.00 per month autopay/paperless

-$15.00 One-time credit

$100.00 Visa gift card

Free HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/Epix for 3 months (must cancel; no auto-drop off)

Free 2022 Sunday Ticket Max (no auto-renew)

Offers were definitely worse than past years but I have no other viable options for regional sports and my internet is poor. “Supervisor” wouldn’t bite further on my negotiation tactics.

CSR asked me at the end if I worked for AT&T because I knew all the discounts and key terms. 😄 “No, but this isn’t my first rodeo.” :respect: 😊
Why would the DVR not work if the cables were still connected to the receiver? 

I guess I am a  VIP member?    Have been a "loyal" customer of Directv since 1998.   Wife showed me our bill today and I almost #### my pants.   250.00 a month.   I called did the whole song and dance.   I want to disconnect at the 1st of the month so I have a little time to find a replacement service.   When I asked if I cancel tonight when would service be disconnected and the rep couldn't tell me? "Sir, you have been a customer for so long I don't know how to read your bill honestly!  It could disconnect tonight or the end of February?"            Connected to the "VIP RETENTION" and I got "nope nothing more we can do for you sir you have all the discounts already!"      WTF?!   Discounts I am paying 250 a month.          I will start looking at other options  Youtube, Cox, or whatever.      I am going to miss NFL Sunday ticket.    I see some offer the Redzone but that is not the same as watching a game. 

I guess I am a  VIP member?    Have been a "loyal" customer of Directv since 1998.   Wife showed me our bill today and I almost #### my pants.   250.00 a month.   

you must not have read much of the thread Shizz

you have to play the game - and it morphs all the time

used to be you could threaten to leave - get sent to the "save" group and get good deals

it got tougher and tougher - to the point where a couple of years ago they made you go all the way through with your threat and actually physically disconnect

it recently then went to waiting quite a few days (varies but up to a couple of weeks) to "have your old acct get out of their system"

bottom line ...you have to get signed up as a new customer to get all the discounts and freebies - that $250 bill of yours could probably be dropped by well over $100 ...and get a $100-$200 VISA gift card.  

I guess I am a  VIP member?    Have been a "loyal" customer of Directv since 1998.   Wife showed me our bill today and I almost #### my pants.   250.00 a month.   I called did the whole song and dance.   I want to disconnect at the 1st of the month so I have a little time to find a replacement service.   When I asked if I cancel tonight when would service be disconnected and the rep couldn't tell me? "Sir, you have been a customer for so long I don't know how to read your bill honestly!  It could disconnect tonight or the end of February?"            Connected to the "VIP RETENTION" and I got "nope nothing more we can do for you sir you have all the discounts already!"      WTF?!   Discounts I am paying 250 a month.          I will start looking at other options  Youtube, Cox, or whatever.      I am going to miss NFL Sunday ticket.    I see some offer the Redzone but that is not the same as watching a game. 

I had been with them since 95 and moved over to YTTV 2 seasons ago an really like it. I just do not have the time to do the dance any longer... and then more phone time when they do not follow through on what was promised. I used to watch game mix.  I am fine with redzone

you must not have read much of the thread Shizz

you have to play the game - and it morphs all the time

used to be you could threaten to leave - get sent to the "save" group and get good deals

it got tougher and tougher - to the point where a couple of years ago they made you go all the way through with your threat and actually physically disconnect

it recently then went to waiting quite a few days (varies but up to a couple of weeks) to "have your old acct get out of their system"

bottom line ...you have to get signed up as a new customer to get all the discounts and freebies - that $250 bill of yours could probably be dropped by well over $100 ...and get a $100-$200 VISA gift card.  

Some people yeah.  Ive only once had my service disconnected.  And it was the only time I ever got to the point of telling them to set a date to disconnect (two weeks out) and they screwed up and cut me off the same night I called.

I have been lucky...have had a few calls go on about an hour or need multiple calls.  But usually 30-45 minutes...or even through chat...has gotten me around 50 bucks for the DTV part of my bill and Sunday Ticket all but one year where I didn't go through much of the song and dance and just accepted the discounts (and tried out the NFL Game Plan thing for a season...happened to be when my son played travel soccer and games were on Sundays anyway so that worked out).

Now...I have only once gotten the gift card on top of discounts...but sometimes wonder how people have had really really hard times year after year after year.  The only reason I keep DTV is because it seems simple enough every year for me...and they get the discounts down to where its the same I would be paying for something like Hulu live or Youtube TV or whatever else Id switch to in order to still get live sports and a few other channels I enjoy.

Called to cancel today.  Feels good.   Got a ROKU at walmart.   Just signed up for Youtube tv.   Watching Chiefs/Bengals game as week speak.    Just have to learn a new way to watch tv ... but 250 dollars a month vs 70 is a no brainer. 

cancelled last week, called winback a week later, unfortunately I got their offshore agent not US based
she offered me the usual stuff, I accepted, actually she said thats what they offer to everyone, said she will try to connect the service
after accepting the offer she says in order to get this offer I must accept to upgrade my DVRs( I have genie),  technician must come to my home, and that means 2 yr contract so I refused her offer, actually I was ups she wasted over an hour of my time

so now I guess I must file a complaint at bbb

Just got an email from DirecTV with the subject "your NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX is on us".  Certainly wasn't expecting to get an email like this in April.  And I got it for free last year in the same manner - just an email without having to call, although the email last year was later into the summer.

Just got an email from DirecTV with the subject "your NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX is on us".  Certainly wasn't expecting to get an email like this in April.  And I got it for free last year in the same manner - just an email without having to call, although the email last year was later into the summer.
Same  :thumbup:

I never get these proactive emails.

I'm going to miss.getting the Ticket for free when Apple TV takes it over and charges full price every year.

Got the same today.

Thanks…now when my credits run out I can threaten to leave over other things and don’t have to worry about the ticket.  May hold out for the gift card…

I'm hearing Apple TV has the slight lead over Amazon Prime?  I'd prefer Amazon Prime, already have that. They already have games too.  FINGERS CROSSED.
ah yes, i thought it was a done deal but reading up on it now Apple+ is in the running also. I'm with you, I hope it's Amazon, I'm not a fan of Apple. Feels like they'd have a broader fan access not going with Apple.

Yeah, I feel like Apple will probably charge full price whereas there's a chance that Amazon just makes it a Prime freebie or maybe a small addon price for Prime+ or something.

Users who are viewing this thread