What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Funny, because there are two ways to interpret that. I assume this is a slam, and yet "how sadness is a pit you can never dig out of" is kind of a slam as well. 
I take it to be that he's making fun of the existential angst that pervades cinema, especially those works that are coming out of film schools. It's a pretty good rating. 

I watched The Worst Person in the World list night on Hulu.  What a great movie, I was riveted from the jump. Nothing ground breaking, just a young woman trying to find her way in her career and love life. The quality of the film making and performances really stand above most of the movies I've seen recently. I will probably rewatch this over the weekend. 

Speaking of Blade Runner, I watched it with my son a few days back. It was his first time, so I took this chance to upgrade my DVD to a Blu Ray copy. At only $15, it was well worth it. The Blu Ray transfer is amazing.

It's interesting, because this is certainly in my all time top 20 - and yet - watching it with fresh eyes made me realize something: while I do like the actors, script, music, and direction, the reason I love this movie so much is the totally original and unparalleled creation of the entire thing from start to finish. Rarely do you get a chance to watch something so perfect, unique, and curated. In many ways, the movie is a bummer. Much like Apocalypse Now, while I do find the movie very heavy to watch, I suppose my primary love is for the artist's dedication to his art. 

Funny, because there are two ways to interpret that. I assume this is a slam, and yet "how sadness is a pit you can never dig out of" is kind of a slam as well. 
It's knocking pretentious sad movies about malaise I am sure. However, Wright is one of the great young film fans and historians today. He is like Marty or Spike, he has seen almost everything, is really well studied. He often puts out lists of movies he recommends. They are eclectic including older B horror movies like Night of the Demon, stuffy foreign flicks like Andre Rublev,  bizarre films like Zabriskie Point and shoot'm up action films like T2. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Blade Runner, I watched it with my son a few days back. It was his first time, so I took this chance to upgrade my DVD to a Blu Ray copy. At only $15, it was well worth it. The Blu Ray transfer is amazing.

It's interesting, because this is certainly in my all time top 20 - and yet - watching it with fresh eyes made me realize something: while I do like the actors, script, music, and direction, the reason I love this movie so much is the totally original and unparalleled creation of the entire thing from start to finish. Rarely do you get a chance to watch something so perfect, unique, and curated. In many ways, the movie is a bummer. Much like Apocalypse Now, while I do find the movie very heavy to watch, I suppose my primary love is for the artist's dedication to his art. 
I wonder if fresh eyes can distinguish the original from every single imitator since- in style (huge) or story. 

It's knocking pretentious sad movies about malaise I am sure. However, Wright is one of the great young film fans and historians today. He is like Marty or Spike, he has seen almost everything, is really well studied. He often puts out lists of movies he recommends. They are eclectic including older B horror movies like Night of the Demon, stuffy foreign flicks like Andre Rublev,  bizarre indie films like Zabriskie Point and shoot'm up action films like T2. 
Oh certainly. I heard Wright interviewed on The Movies That Made Us podcast, and he is very intelligent. 

After Yang was lovely, for sure. Some comments: 1) This might have been better as an hour long Black Mirror. Felt a bit thin at that length. 2) While the acting is good, this film suffers from Mamet-syndrome. Every character adapts this sullen, monotonous speech that just feels kind of fake to me. 

Beverly Hills Cop is a lot of fun. If you watch the sequel, you'll see they used the same mansion as the one from Schwarzenegger's Commando
100% on Yang - if you aren't down for the tone, even at 90min it might be a slog.   Those opening credits though.  :lmao:   

I did watch the sequel.   Not as good as I remember - typical sequel stuff, but still a blast.   Never seen Commando, so wouldn't make that connection.  

I am watching the new 4K restoration of Giant. I saw this once when I was maybe 15 and became interested in Jame Dean (took a weekend to watch his whole filmography). It's what I remember: long and kind of dull when Dean isn't on screen. Taylor is magnetic but I am not sure Rock was quite right for the role. He is almost always a little dull for me. As for the restoration, it's actually quite spotty. Lots of issues being inconsistent from scene to scene. However, the HDR on it is incredible and the colors really pop. Hopefully we get a 4K release of director George Stevens' previous film, Shane. I can only imagine how the HDR would look on that.

I forgot about the way the 2nd half of Giant goes. I can’t decide if this movie would get “cancelled” or be labeled as “woke” today. 

I forgot about the way the 2nd half of Giant goes. I can’t decide if this movie would get “cancelled” or be labeled as “woke” today. 
I liked the first half but thought that the 2nd half was really bad. As a result, I don't think it deserves the significant praise that it always gets.

I am watching the new 4K restoration of Giant. I saw this once when I was maybe 15 and became interested in Jame Dean (took a weekend to watch his whole filmography). It's what I remember: long and kind of dull when Dean isn't on screen. Taylor is magnetic but I am not sure Rock was quite right for the role. He is almost always a little dull for me. As for the restoration, it's actually quite spotty. Lots of issues being inconsistent from scene to scene. However, the HDR on it is incredible and the colors really pop. Hopefully we get a 4K release of director George Stevens' previous film, Shane. I can only imagine how the HDR would look on that.

As far as 50s dysfunctional oil family melodramas go, I strongly prefer Written on the Wind.  Rock Hudson is in it too and better cast as an outsider than as the patriarch in Giant.  Dorothy Malone is unforgettable as the wild daughter.

I liked the first half but thought that the 2nd half was really bad. As a result, I don't think it deserves the significant praise that it always gets.
I am still processing what the 2nd half said, there was a lot to it. Not sure if it was better or worse than the 1st half but there is a lot to analyze here.

I think the shark is kind of clunky when it does actually appear. 
It is, and I think it adds to the movie in the context of how good it was because it didn't work and was clunky.   It would have been a far lesser movie if we saw more shark.   

I think Jaws is the movie that climbed the most in my GOAT movies list in the last decade or so.    The more I think about the production and how good the script/acting/directing is, the more I love it.  

I did watch the sequel.   Not as good as I remember - typical sequel stuff, but still a blast.   Never seen Commando, so wouldn't make that connection.  
I can't remember if it was Beverly Hills Cop 1 or 2, but Mike from Breaking bad plays a tough guy in one of them.

Stevens was a force, and one who i'd have been pimping louder & longer were i ten years older. American playwrights had become obsessed with the ONeill legacy of how American families & and social organisms fester. Glorious work for scribblers like Arthur Miller & Tennessee Williams, but no more than a necessary evil for viewers like me. Stevens loved family mechanics, but he never took them out of cinematic scale. in fact, he reactivity set family drama against big Western skies and mountains bold and gushers and ranches that told the tale as well without making us look like closet ratpiles. Bigness is what America does and should at least backdrop all our inevitable smallnesses.

The Card Counter

This Oscar Isaac film about a professional gambler also stars Tiffany Haddish, Tye Sheridan and Willem Dafoe.

One of the common traits of films and TV I love is when someone shows me things I've never seen before, or at least shows them in a fresh way. On the surface, this starts out like what might degenerate into a violent revenge fantasy. But that's not what this movie is about at all. Slow, dark, and brooding, The Card Counter uses subtext rather than slaps to the face to convey its intent. A tale of a man desperately seeking redemption. Fantastic. 

The Card Counter

This Oscar Isaac film about a professional gambler also stars Tiffany Haddish, Tye Sheridan and Willem Dafoe.

One of the common traits of films and TV I love is when someone shows me things I've never seen before, or at least shows them in a fresh way. On the surface, this starts out like what might degenerate into a violent revenge fantasy. But that's not what this movie is about at all. Slow, dark, and brooding, The Card Counter uses subtext rather than slaps to the face to convey its intent. A tale of a man desperately seeking redemption. Fantastic. 
Interesting...platform?

It is, and I think it adds to the movie in the context of how good it was because it didn't work and was clunky.   It would have been a far lesser movie if we saw more shark.   

I think Jaws is the movie that climbed the most in my GOAT movies list in the last decade or so.    The more I think about the production and how good the script/acting/directing is, the more I love it.  
I agree it was a happy accident but you do need the big payoff of finally seeing it up close and it just isn't quite right. I still love the movie, it's just not quite perfect. 

I just watched Jaws the night before last. I was struck this time how much the style/mood changes at the midpoint.

The first part of the movie is shark vs man. The second is man vs shark. Also, the second half plays out almost like a WWII type submarine drama - like The Enemy Below.

Stevens was a force, and one who i'd have been pimping louder & longer were i ten years older. American playwrights had become obsessed with the ONeill legacy of how American families & and social organisms fester. Glorious work for scribblers like Arthur Miller & Tennessee Williams, but no more than a necessary evil for viewers like me. Stevens loved family mechanics, but he never took them out of cinematic scale. in fact, he reactivity set family drama against big Western skies and mountains bold and gushers and ranches that told the tale as well without making us look like closet ratpiles. Bigness is what America does and should at least backdrop all our inevitable smallnesses.
Have you seen Five Came Back on Netflix? It's a documentary series on Ford, Huston, Capra, Wyler and Stevens when they enlisted with the role of filming WW2. It seemed to have made a profound impact on Stevens especially. He filmed the liberation of Dachau. He saw into the mouth of hell and you can see that in the work that followed the war. He went from light musicals and comedies like Swing Time and The More the Merrier to A Place in the Sun, Shane and Giant. 

I've decided to do a little dig into epics. Giant last night and now on to Spartacus. Love a movie that knows it is long and doesn't care. There's a full 5 minutes of music before we even get to the opening credits which are 5 minutes of more music.  The confidence! 

I've decided to do a little dig into epics. Giant last night and now on to Spartacus. Love a movie that knows it is long and doesn't care. There's a full 5 minutes of music before we even get to the opening credits which are 5 minutes of more music.  The confidence! 
Still haven't seen Spartacus.  I was just thinking the other day that I should correct that and put the 4K on order.   

Andy Dufresne said:
I just watched Jaws the night before last. I was struck this time how much the style/mood changes at the midpoint.

The first part of the movie is shark vs man. The second is man vs shark. Also, the second half plays out almost like a WWII type submarine drama - like The Enemy Below.
The thing that has gotten to me more over the last few years is how funny the movie is.  Truly is a great mix of laughs and horror.   

Did some reading and the reason Spartacus looks so good in it's modern 4K and blu ray releases is that Kubrick shot it on some rarely used film that offered a bigger frame and better clarity. It definitely shows. 

Tonight's continuation of my Epic Summer Film Festival (had to take yesterday off for another epic, the Pistons draft):

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. It's a big one folks. See you next month. 

Also Rogue One probably a Top 3-4 Star Wars Movie

1. Revenge of the Sith

2. Empire

After that it’s between Rogue One / A New Hope and maybe ROTJ depending on my mood

wikkidpissah said:

Stevens' reputation never recovered from the Auteurist critics and filmmakers of the 60s and 70s.  Directors like Stevens (and DeMille and Preminger) who specialized in huge Hollywood productions were shunned in favor of those who worked in genre pictures or had a more defined personal style.

That said, I think Stevens is better known, such as he is, for his late-career blockbusters than the smaller pictures he made before the war for RKO that built his career.

The new Adam Sandler one on Netflix, Hustle, is pretty good. Story is pretty predictable, but still well-told. Good one for hoops fans, as lots of NBA players appear in it.

Another Round

This is a movie that has really grown on me after I think about it more the day after.   I originally thought the premise was a bit silly, but then as I think about my activities and convincing myself that I am probably a better version of me with a constant low level of weed in my body - I probably can relate more than I want to admit.  After the premise there are just so many real and honest moments in this movie.   Really has stuck with me - 7.5/10 and likely will gain points after a rewatch.  

I also have been doing more 2-4 movie combos of directors during the week as I catch up on stuff I haven't seen (that's why I was watching a few Wilder movies recently), and revisited The Hunt.  Same director and also with Mads as the lead.   It's a tough watch that I am not sure would be made 10 years later because of the plot, but I think it's an overall slightly better movie than Another Round.   Both of these movies are on Kanopy, and Another Round is also on Hulu.  

Next up will be either The Celebration, The Commune, or both.  

Another Round

This is a movie that has really grown on me after I think about it more the day after.   I originally thought the premise was a bit silly, but then as I think about my activities and convincing myself that I am probably a better version of me with a constant low level of weed in my body - I probably can relate more than I want to admit.  After the premise there are just so many real and honest moments in this movie.   Really has stuck with me - 7.5/10 and likely will gain points after a rewatch.  

I also have been doing more 2-4 movie combos of directors during the week as I catch up on stuff I haven't seen (that's why I was watching a few Wilder movies recently), and revisited The Hunt.  Same director and also with Mads as the lead.   It's a tough watch that I am not sure would be made 10 years later because of the plot, but I think it's an overall slightly better movie than Another Round.   Both of these movies are on Kanopy, and Another Round is also on Hulu.  

Next up will be either The Celebration, The Commune, or both.  

I haven't seen The Commune but heartily recommend The Celebration.  First Dogme 95 movie, too, which adds an additional element of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread