What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG Subscriber Contest is ON - Update - 1st place is $10k + $5k to food bank of their choice (1 Viewer)

Pick 1 and only 1 player from this list:

Jonathan Taylor for $39
Alvin Kamara for $28
Aaron Jones for $27
David Montgomery for $22
AJ Dillon for $20
Antonio Gibson for $20
Cordarrelle Patterson for $18
Nyheim Hines for $13
JD McKissic for $11
Khalil Herbert for $9
Mark Ingram for $9
Tyler Allgeier for $7
Brian Robinson for $7
Damien Williams for $6
Robinson easily

Tweaking a little (again)...
QB - Jalen Hurts - PHI/7 - $19
QB - Derek Carr - LV/6 - $13
RB - Alvin Kamara - NO/14 - $28
RB - Nick Chubb - CLE/9 - $24
RB - Clyde Edwards-Helaire - KC/8 - $17
RB - Dameon Pierce - HOU/6 - $10
RB - Khalil Herbert - CHI/14 - $9
WR - Michael Pittman - IND/14 - $24
WR - A.J. Brown - PHI/7 - $23
WR - Brandin Cooks - HOU/6 - $22
WR - George Pickens - PIT/9 - $6
WR - Romeo Doubs - GB/14 - $5
TE - Dalton Schultz - DAL/9 - $18
TE - Dawson Knox - BUF/7 - $14
PK - Rodrigo Blankenship - IND/14 - $3
PK - Kaimi Fairbairn - HOU/6 - $3
PK - Zane Gonzalez - CAR/13 - $3
TD - Minnesota Vikings - MIN/7 - $3
TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/13 - $3
TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/6 - $3
Do I count $69 off week 14?
Meh...I won't make it that far anyhow.

Anyone point me in right direction to get specifics on how points are scored and position numbers on what will count each week. Thanks.

I'd probably take Hines, Montgomery and possibly Taylor over Robinson. Robinson's a great value play but the error bars are pretty big.
You think Taylor for 39 is a better value than Robinson for 7?
Well RB starter baseline is about $20 for 210 points. In the latest VBD app Robinson is $7 for 90 points, whereas Taylor is $39 for 350 points so we can say Taylor is a $19 investment over baseline for an incremental 140 points. So if you think Taylor's projection is "about right" (I do) then it becomes a question of what a reasonable "about right" projection for Robinson (probably well above the 90 points above). I'd say 150 points (you can disagree if you like; that's fine). Now I can spend about $13-14 and be confident that I can get 150 points from someone else, so in a relative sense I'm getting about 60 points of relative value (150-90) for $7 by taking Robinson instead of Hines, Edmunds, etc. but in the big picture I have to consider that this is only getting me to 60 points of value BELOW baseline compared to 140 points of value above baseline for $19. In effect, relative to a player who gives me value above baseline, Robinson is worth literally nothing to me. Robinson only becomes valuable when I'm considering investing for RB depth after I've established a starter budget and a backups budget, and am comparing Robinson with, for example, Hines, at which point it becomes an exercise in splitting hairs (likelihood of 150 points to be achieved by Hines vs Robinson...which is somewhere around a tossup but Hines certainly feels safer and I'd argue has more of an opportunity for upside over 150 than Robinson does).

I'd probably take Hines, Montgomery and possibly Taylor over Robinson. Robinson's a great value play but the error bars are pretty big.
Well RB starter baseline is about $20 for 210 points. In the latest VBD app Robinson is $7 for 90 points, whereas Taylor is $39 for 350 points so we can say Taylor is a $19 investment over baseline for an incremental 140 points. So if you think Taylor's projection is "about right" (I do) then it becomes a question of what a reasonable "about right" projection for Robinson (probably well above the 90 points above). I'd say 150 points (you can disagree if you like; that's fine). Now I can spend about $13-14 and be confident that I can get 150 points from someone else, so in a relative sense I'm getting about 60 points of relative value (150-90) for $7 by taking Robinson instead of Hines, Edmunds, etc. but in the big picture I have to consider that this is only getting me to 60 points of value BELOW baseline compared to 140 points of value above baseline for $19. In effect, relative to a player who gives me value above baseline, Robinson is worth literally nothing to me. Robinson only becomes valuable when I'm considering investing for RB depth after I've established a starter budget and a backups budget, and am comparing Robinson with, for example, Hines, at which point it becomes an exercise in splitting hairs (likelihood of 150 points to be achieved by Hines vs Robinson...which is somewhere around a tossup but Hines certainly feels safer and I'd argue has more of an opportunity for upside over 150 than Robinson does).
Not gonna lie, you lost me.
But in best ball, a guy like Robinson who people are talking about being the starting RB in Wash, for $7, is incredible bench value. Again, it's best ball so it's not like you really have a 'bench'. There's going to be some weeks where Robinson gets a TD and your other RBs dont, so he will surely count a couple of weeks. No brainer here imo. If they re-priced this today, Robinson would surely cost double.

You just blew everyone's mind. Are you some sort of senior value based drafting student? :wink:

But in best ball, a guy like Robinson who people are talking about being the starting RB in Wash, for $7, is incredible bench value. Again, it's best ball so it's not like you really have a 'bench'. There's going to be some weeks where Robinson gets a TD and your other RBs dont, so he will surely count a couple of weeks. No brainer here imo. If they re-priced this today, Robinson would surely cost double.
I agree with the bolded, but not sure if that's enough to spend limited money on.

Jonathan Taylor for $39
Alvin Kamara for $28
Aaron Jones for $27
David Montgomery for $22
AJ Dillon for $20
Antonio Gibson for $20
Nyheim Hines for $13
JD McKissic for $11
Khalil Herbert for $9
Mark Ingram for $9
Tyler Allgeier for $7
Brian Robinson for $7
Damien Williams for $6

Obviously, I chose these specific players for a reason - they are all off week 14. Does that change your decision at all?

Jonathan Taylor for $39
Alvin Kamara for $28
Aaron Jones for $27
David Montgomery for $22
AJ Dillon for $20
Antonio Gibson for $20
Nyheim Hines for $13
JD McKissic for $11
Khalil Herbert for $9
Mark Ingram for $9
Tyler Allgeier for $7
Brian Robinson for $7
Damien Williams for $6

Obviously, I chose these specific players for a reason - they are all off week 14. Does that change your decision at all?
It certainly does. I didn't even realize that when I first considered the question. I probably would not take an RB1 or RB2 with a week 14 buy unless it was a RB2A with a RB2B earlier. I would only be interested in Robinson, Hines and MAYBE Montgomery here.

I agree with the bolded, but not sure if that's enough to spend limited money on.
So on your team for this contest, you have no one under $10?

Actually, re-reading this, I think you're confusing this contest (best ball, the format this is, etc) with simple VBD. Or (again), are you saying it's not worth rostering anyone in this contest that is that cheap?

Explain please. I know zero about kickers.

I forgot who it was, but this dude used to have a thread that listed the likelihood of each kicker losing their job midseason, and it was awesome! It wasn't based on injury; moreso on whether he'd turn into Ray Finkle. I haven't seen him here in the last few years, but if anyone remembers who it was...

I've posted kicker job security rankings in the K thread most years. This year I tweeted them in May and it looks like I forgot to cross-post them here. They were:

BAL
ATL
BUF
LV
LAC
KC
CAR
CIN
SF
LAR
NE
PHI
NYG
TB
ARI
CHI
MIA
WAS
DEN
TEN
PIT
HOU
NO
CLE
MIN
GB
NYJ
IND
JAC

SEA
DET
DAL

Bottom 6-10 teams especially uncertain.
I think that there haven't been huge changes since then (other than Boswell PIT re-signing and becoming much more secure), although I haven't taken a close look.

I've bolded the teams with $3 kickers, and italicized the 10 teams with the most job security risk. That's 4 fairly safe $3 kickers and 4 fairly risky ones.

Jonathan Taylor for $39
Alvin Kamara for $28
Aaron Jones for $27
David Montgomery for $22
AJ Dillon for $20
Antonio Gibson for $20
Nyheim Hines for $13
JD McKissic for $11
Khalil Herbert for $9
Mark Ingram for $9
Tyler Allgeier for $7
Brian Robinson for $7
Damien Williams for $6
Herbert

Jonathan Taylor for $39
Alvin Kamara for $28
Aaron Jones for $27
David Montgomery for $22
AJ Dillon for $20
Antonio Gibson for $20
Nyheim Hines for $13
JD McKissic for $11
Khalil Herbert for $9
Mark Ingram for $9
Tyler Allgeier for $7
Brian Robinson for $7
Damien Williams for $6
Herbert
We had a little scare on him being carted off, but I guess he just needed a ride :shrug:

We can't forget you got to make it to week 14 before you worry about week 14. I am less concerned about Taylor's week 14 bye than I am his dollar value. If he is in your lineup, you are probably vulnerable whenever his bye week is whether that be week 7 or week 14. Yes, I understand the number of surviving players at these points in the season is much different. Bottom line is I just can't afford a guy like Taylor and still be happy with the rest of what I put together. If I could afford him, I'd probably take my chances with the bye.

Do you have any historical data about how the amount of points it takes to advance week to week changes as the season progresses into the later bye weeks? Thinking about these week 14 byes has made me curious.

We can't forget you got to make it to week 14 before you worry about week 14. I am less concerned about Taylor's week 14 bye than I am his dollar value. If he is in your lineup, you are probably vulnerable whenever his bye week is whether that be week 7 or week 14. Yes, I understand the number of surviving players at these points in the season is much different. Bottom line is I just can't afford a guy like Taylor and still be happy with the rest of what I put together. If I could afford him, I'd probably take my chances with the bye.

Do you have any historical data about how the amount of points it takes to advance week to week changes as the season progresses into the later bye weeks? Thinking about these week 14 byes has made me curious.
Sadly, all the historical contest data disappeared this year. You used to be able to go back about 10 years, but every link just gives you an error message now. As for the bye weeks for individual players, I don't shy away from the cheaper ones when they have really late byes. But I will certainly pass on the most expensive contest RB with the latest possible bye. I cannot justify 16% of my budget on 1 player who is guaranteed to get me a zero on the last week before the finals. As you said, his price is a concern, but I think his bye concerns me more.

Explain please. I know zero about kickers.

I forgot who it was, but this dude used to have a thread that listed the likelihood of each kicker losing their job midseason, and it was awesome! It wasn't based on injury; moreso on whether he'd turn into Ray Finkle. I haven't seen him here in the last few years, but if anyone remembers who it was...

I've posted kicker job security rankings in the K thread most years. This year I tweeted them in May and it looks like I forgot to cross-post them here. They were:

BAL
ATL
BUF
LV
LAC
KC
CAR
CIN
SF
LAR
NE
PHI
NYG
TB
ARI
CHI
MIA
WAS
DEN
TEN
PIT
HOU
NO
CLE
MIN
GB
NYJ
IND
JAC

SEA
DET
DAL

Bottom 6-10 teams especially uncertain.
I think that there haven't been huge changes since then (other than Boswell PIT re-signing and becoming much more secure), although I haven't taken a close look.

I've bolded the teams with $3 kickers, and italicized the 10 teams with the most job security risk. That's 4 fairly safe $3 kickers and 4 fairly risky ones.
This is EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks man.

This is EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks man.
Agreed. I had my 4 "most secure" $3 kickers as Fairbairn, Gano, Gonzalez, and Santos. Great to see that's how @ZWK had it as well. My current entry has the trio of Gano, Gonzalez, and Santos. They aren't sexy picks, but I bet they outscore any duo you'd spend $9 on.

@TheWinz Grab a beer....

QB - Kirk Cousins - MIN/7 - $14
RB - Saquon Barkley - NYG/9 - $26
RB - Cam Akers - LAR/7 - $20
RB - Nyheim Hines - IND/14 - $13
RB - Brian Robinson - WAS/14 - $7
WR - Mike Williams - LAC/8 - $21
WR - Allen Robinson - LAR/7 - $20
WR - Amon-Ra St. Brown - DET/6 - $17
WR - Nico Collins - HOU/6 - $10
WR - WanDale Robinson - NYG/9 - $5
TE - Mark Andrews - BAL/10 - $28
TE - T.J. Hockenson - DET/6 - $17
TE - Taysom Hill - NO/14 - $5
PK - Graham Gano - NYG/9 - $3
TD - New York Giants - NYG/9 - $3

@TheWinz Grab a beer....

- Like how you front loaded. You spent over half your budget on the first 2 bye weeks, but you still seem decent in each of the weeks
- 32% of your roster comes from the juggernaut Giants and Texans (had to throw this zinger in there)
- Overall, quite like the makeup, but there is one that scares me - Cam Akers

Blew up roster, reset, and literally ended back up where I started.....Lock needs to hurry up and put me out of my misery..

Last edited:
Aaaaand I changed it again. I added Mixon in and changed from 7 RB and 7 WR to 6 each..

QB - Lamar Jackson - BAL/10 - $19
QB - Davis Mills - HOU/6 - $7
RB - Joe Mixon - CIN/10 - $30
RB - Nick Chubb - CLE/9 - $24
RB - A.J. Dillon - GB/14 - $20
RB - Zack Moss - BUF/7 - $3
WR - Courtland Sutton - DEN/9 - $19
WR - JuJu Smith-Schuster - KC/8 - $15
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/11 - $13
WR - K.J. Osborn - MIN/7 - $8
WR - Velus Jones - CHI/14 - $3
WR - Cedrick Wilson - MIA/11 - $3
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/7 - $15
TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/14 - $3
TD - Detroit Lions - DET/6 - $3

Total value: 250

The issue with Robinson, for me, is not that he's a cheap player its that his upside is capped by (a) Gibson and McKissic and (c) the Commanders prognosis influenced by Wentz, Snyder, Rivera, etc.

I may end up adding him to the roster as it looks like they want him to be "the guy" on 1st and 2nd down, and he IS under-priced but the general tenor of this thread comes across like folks expect him to crack the top 10.

I have a similar take on Damion Pierce. I like proven RB commodities.

expect him to crack the top 10.
Agreed. I certainly think he is value at his price, but is he gonna be a RB1? When I am selecting my roster, I ask myself, how many weeks do I really think I will use him? If I am using a $7 RB 8 times, my team blows!
It depends on what that $7 RB is giving you. I remember the year it was nearly impossible to make the finals if you didn't have $3 RB James Conner counting every week. And long before that, rookie Arian Foster carried most teams in the finals and he was under $4 (can't remember the exact cost).

Iteration version 48, changed from "Volume" build to select Quality/Elite efforts...

QB - Justin Herbert - LAC/8 - $23
QB - Jared Goff - DET/6 - $9

RB - Travis Etienne - JAX/11 - $22
RB - Rhamondre Stevenson - NE/10 - $15

WR - Justin Jefferson - MIN/7 - $35
WR - Michael Thomas - NO/14 - $20
WR - Christian Kirk - JAX/11 - $16
WR - Kenny Golladay - NYG/9 - $11
WR - D.J. Chark - DET/6 - $7

TE - Cole Kmet - CHI/14 - $14
TE - Hunter Henry - NE/10 - $12
TE - Evan Engram - JAX/11 - $9

PK - Dustin Hopkins - LAC/8 - $5
PK - Randy Bullock - TEN/6 - $4

TD - San Francisco 49ers - SF/9 - $4

The issue with Robinson, for me, is not that he's a cheap player its that his upside is capped by (a) Gibson and McKissic and (c) the Commanders prognosis influenced by Wentz, Snyder, Rivera, etc.

I may end up adding him to the roster as it looks like they want him to be "the guy" on 1st and 2nd down, and he IS under-priced but the general tenor of this thread comes across like folks expect him to crack the top 10.

Everyone prefers proven commodities, but they come at a cost. I don't look at either Robinson or Pierce as RB1s, but of the 2, I think it is Pierce may have a clearer path into working into his team's RB1 spot. You got to take a few low dollar guys somewhere and hope things pan out.

I don't think anyone expects him to crack the top 10, but best ball is a whole different game than traditional drafting.
Still would love to see your team as it seems you don't find it worth it to grab cheaper players.

@TheWinz Grab a beer....

- Like how you front loaded. You spent over half your budget on the first 2 bye weeks, but you still seem decent in each of the weeks
- 32% of your roster comes from the juggernaut Giants and Texans (had to throw this zinger in there)
- Overall, quite like the makeup, but there is one that scares me - Cam Akers
Thanks. I'm really wondering if front or back loading is the way to go. Do I just pray I get through 6/7 and then I'm laughing? Or do I play it safe and get to the finals and then have no one. Your post about avoiding week 14 bye players really has me thinking, as it seems you do de-value players based on that week 14 bye.

I worry about Akers a bit but all the ones I wanted around that price point had damn week 14 or 9 byes!

Iteration version 48, changed from "Volume" build to select Quality/Elite efforts...

QB - Justin Herbert - LAC/8 - $23

RB - Travis Etienne - JAX/11 - $22
RB - Rhamondre Stevenson - NE/10 - $15

WR - Justin Jefferson - MIN/7 - $35
WR - Michael Thomas - NO/14 - $20
WR - Christian Kirk - JAX/11 - $16
WR - Kenny Golladay - NYG/9 - $11
WR - D.J. Chark - DET/6 - $7

TE - Hunter Henry - NE/10 - $12
TE - Evan Engram - JAX/11 - $9

PK - Dustin Hopkins - LAC/8 - $5
PK - Randy Bullock - TEN/6 - $4

That running back group would scare the hell out of me. Only 4 RBs…and those particular 4 RBs? High risk.

I have never done well in this contest and don't expect to make it far this year but my first pass:

QB - Jalen Hurts - PHI/7 - $19

RB - Dalvin Cook - MIN/7 - $29
RB - Breece Hall - NYJ/10 - $21
RB - Chase Edmonds - MIA/11 - $14

WR - Gabriel Davis - BUF/7 - $19
WR - Rashod Bateman - BAL/10 - $16
WR - Hunter Renfrow - LV/6 - $15

TE - Cameron Brate - TB/11 - $7
TE - C.J. Uzomah - NYJ/10 - $6

TD - Buffalo Bills - BUF/7 - $7

$250 and 21 rostered. Not loving the TEs. Usually would draft 3 QBs in the past but going 2 this year.

First try:
QB -
Russell Wilson- DEN/9 - $18
Mac Jones- NE/10 - $10
Matt Ryan- IND/14 - $10
RB -
Christian McCaffrey- CAR/13 - $37
Elijah Mitchell- SF/9 - $18
Chase Edmonds - MIA/11 - $14
Dameon Pierce- HOU/6 - $10
Brian Robinson- WAS/14 - $7
WR -
Courtland Sutton- DEN/9 - $19
Gabriel Davis- BUF/7 - $19
Christian Kirk- JAX/11 - $16
Nico Collins- HOU/6 - $10
Isaiah McKenzie- BUF/7 - $6
Romeo Doubs- GB/14 - $5
TE -
Dallas Goedert- PHI/7 - $15
Albert Okwuegbunam- DEN/9 - $9
Cameron Brate- TB/11 - $7
PK -
Graham Gano- NYG/9 - $3
Austin Seibert- DET/6 - $3
Rodrigo Blankenship- IND/14 - $3
TD -
Kansas City Chiefs - KC/8 - $4
Green Bay Packers - GB/14 - $4
Minnesota Vikings - MIN/7 - $3

Looks like the Edmonds/Pierce/Robinson + 2 top RBs is going to be a very popular combo this year.
Had not seen this before I posted my line up with this combo! But makes sense; cheap backs, 2 that look to be the starters with a chance for volume and one that has potential to start.

Users who are viewing this thread