What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (2 Viewers)

I was looking forward to Paul Rudd hosting, but man, that was disappointing.  Anyone else here sick of COVID yet?
The entire show was painful. So glad we DVR'd it. Ended up fast forwarding trough several skits, including 80% of the old ones as they have been played ad nauseam in every year's Christmas Show. 

Last night was brutal - and they have had like 3 weeks to work on new material.  Not a good omen for next week.  Urkel bit was good.

liked the host but under used by writers

I'm still not sure what to make of musical guest Bleachers' homage/rip-off of 1979 Springsteen.

ETA:  whatever it was, it was funnier than that bit with Elmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night was brutal - and they have had like 3 weeks to work on new material.  Not a good omen for next week.  Urkel bit was good.

liked the host but under used by writers

Agreed.  Have enjoyed most shows this season, but last night felt uninspired.

Excellent episode. Mulaney was very good as well usual. 

I get a little hop in my step when I see the "a please don't destroy video"

i tellya - real comedy writing is better than cognac&cocaine. you could tell that Mulaney was putting the polish & finish on the sketch ideas everyone else couldnt complete and possibly eliciting some from the 5-time Club legends who showed up with stuff they mighta had percolating for a while. and the NYC musical (this time about the people under the subway)  that Mulaney does each time he hosts was maybe his best ever.

to top it off, because of my background, i'm always a little bit "i woulda did it this way" or "i shoulda come up widdat" watching SNL sketches but Monkey Judge was inspired beyond all conception. best ep in many years.

Excellent episode. Mulaney was very good as well usual. 

Thought it was great.  Also a couple of sketches were very weird, which was perfect for the state I was in last night.

i tellya - real comedy writing is better than cognac&cocaine. you could tell that Mulaney was putting the polish & finish on the sketch ideas everyone else couldnt complete and possibly eliciting some from the 5-time Club legends who showed up with stuff they mighta had percolating for a while. and the NYC musical (this time about the people under the subway)  that Mulaney does each time he hosts was maybe his best ever.

to top it off, because of my background, i'm always a little bit "i woulda did it this way" or "i shoulda come up widdat" watching SNL sketches but Monkey Judge was inspired beyond all conception. best ep in many years.

It was a good episode, but I found myself several times (like Monkey Judge) saying "that was really clever," but not really laughing much.  I guess that sort of fits with Mulaney's style.

:(  Well it was a good run.  Guess they had to have a subpar one at some point.

Overall a disappointing episode.  I did chuckle at the 6 Flags guy but they quickly beat it into the ground.

Hopefully a few weeks off reenergizes them and Dr. Strange delivers a good show.

A night of upsets. The Kentucky Derby winning horse was 80-1, Canelo finally loses and SNL is fun. Cumberbatch and Arcade Fire, that episode was a possible classic to me. Every skit was funny. 

Ilov80s said:
A night of upsets. The Kentucky Derby winning horse was 80-1, Canelo finally loses and SNL is fun. Cumberbatch and Arcade Fire, that episode was a possible classic to me. Every skit was funny. 
and i switched away before Noir Alley came on TCM. brutal. that's what makes it a world...

ETA: altho, i youtubed Weekend Update and they got in a good'n on Alito's abortion opinion "...citing Brett Kavanaugh on civil rights is like citing Amber Heard on bed-making".

Last edited by a moderator:
and i switched away before Noir Alley came on TCM. brutal. that's what makes it a world...

ETA: altho, i youtubed Weekend Update and they got in a good'n on Alito's abortion opinion "...citing Brett Kavanaugh on civil rights is like citing Amber Heard on bed-making".
There were some really funny Mother’s Day related sketches. I enjoyed it. 

Dana Carvey and David Spade have a podcast, Fly in the Wall. A lot of the guests are SNL OG's. Fun behind the scenes stuff: 

https://open.spotify.com/show/5mJq4a7j3fkJ6bJEVZL6zk?si=Kxh1spg6R3K2l64laL-8mQ&utm_source=copy-link
thx - used to listen to it on youtube, but they only tease new eps there anymore & my ol'man ways w googlegoggles invaribly point me only to ways to pay for it (just like happy endings). met Downey when he was at Letterman and he's at my alltime dinner table

thx - used to listen to it on youtube, but they only tease new eps there anymore & my ol'man ways w googlegoggles invaribly point me only to ways to pay for it (just like happy endings). met Downey when he was at Letterman and he's at my alltime dinner table
Really?  I think he'd make a terrible table.  No way he can stay still on all fours for any decent amount of time.  

Thoughts on the latest three cast members leaving?

I thought Moffatt was funny. His “own a boat guy” bit on weekend update was great.
Moffatt was ok but seemed to be in sketches less and less lately. He and villasenor had been there for 6 years, so it was a good run.

Sort of surprised that Aristotle is gone. Seemed like he carved out enough of a niche for a first year player to stick around.

Pretty much now it’s just please don’t destroy, Sarah Sherman and weekend update, as far as I’m concerned.

Wow how the mighty have fallen. Almost a day after season 48 kicks off and this thread falls behind threads for shows that went off the air years ago. I'm looking at you Mad Men.
Anyway I thought it was a solid episode. I don't think I've ever seen Miles Teller in anything, but at the very least, he makes a good Peyton Manning.
Weekend update with solid and Kendrick Lamar was very good.
And apropos nothing, Sarah Sherman is really doing it for me.

Wow how the mighty have fallen. Almost a day after season 48 kicks off and this thread falls behind threads for shows that went off the air years ago. I'm looking at you Mad Men.
Anyway I thought it was a solid episode. I don't think I've ever seen Miles Teller in anything, but at the very least, he makes a good Peyton Manning.
I thought the first 30 min or so were good. After that, it fell off a cliff.

I thought the first 30 min or so were good. After that, it fell off a cliff.
Same as it has always been for almost 50 years now (with the exception of Weekend Update which doesn't usually happen in the 1st 30 minutes).

Tonight's show with Brendan Gleeson and musical guest Willow isn't bad.

I think I only know maybe 3 cast members at this point.

Last edited:
Dave Chappelle and black star next week

The aughts called and SNL wishes it was in tune back then. You know when SNL is trotting out the acts from twenty years ago that nothing they're doing is landing and the generation disposed to watch SNL (largely now an older crowd or feminine one) is not digging or not getting the sketches. The solution?

2003! They know who Chappelle and Black Star are now!

Wow, was that opening weak.

Absolute home run.
10 out of 10.
Inspired move to have Dave Chappelle host the first post-election show.
I can't remember seeing an episode this solid end-to-end in a long, long time.
When a Please Don't Destroy video is your last bit, you know you've done something right.
That Karney as AG sketch was complete garbage. Other sketches had some laughs but overall, kinda underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread