What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Excellent episode. Other than a little too much breaking during the skits (and two restaurant skits in a row???), top notch.

I laughed so hard I was crying during Wing Pit.
agreed. Thought Pedro Pascal was really good. Much better than Aubrey Plaza (surprisingly) and better than Michael B Jordan. The cold open and game show were kind of weak, but after that, I actually liked pretty much everything.

Excellent episode. Other than a little too much breaking during the skits (and two restaurant skits in a row???), top notch.

agreed. Thought Pedro Pascal was really good. Much better than Aubrey Plaza (surprisingly) and better than Michael B Jordan. The cold open and game show were kind of weak, but after that, I actually liked pretty much everything.

I was very disappointed in her. Seems like she’s changed her look and personality for the worse imo.

Still need to watch full episode, but HBO Mario Kart skit was pretty good.

This was great.

Noticed a lot of CGI in these more recent skits. I guess they just play those on a screen for the live audience?
yes, there are 2 or 3 pre-tape segments per show and they just put them on a screen,

Pedro Pascal is one of those actors that elevates the material he's given. Was one of the better SNL episodes.

Kelce was good. Surprisingly comfortable on stage for a non-actor.

Jenna Ortega was ok. I liked this line from the "School vs School" gameshow skit:

Q: "To be or not to be?" is spoken by which Shakespearean protagonist?
A: Toby!

Does Pete Davidson have a new Taco Bell commercial coming out or was there just no one else available given the SAG strike?

Washington sketch was hilarious.

Recently, I got to see Colin Jost, Marcelo Hernandez, and one other guy (I forget his name) do stand-up in a theater out on the West Coast. I hate SNL and the celebutante sort of following it has garnered, but Hernandez was truly funny.

Put me in more of a mood to check out what SNL is doing with their stuff these days.

I really haven't watched SNL since I think the Farley and Spade days. I saw a clip today when Norm came back to host after being fired. I'd actually never seen it before. Hilarious.

Last edited:
He seemed very nervous- reminded me a bit of the guy who hosted the Golden Globes who kept commenting on how bad the jokes were landing. Never a good move imo. I think his set would have seemed fine if he hasn’t kept mentioning that people weren’t laughing or that he was nervous and he didn’t have any good TV material. Was pretty amateurish, I’m surprised he got invited in to host.

Didn't really remember him from the cast, but heard he was coming back to host after being fired from SNL.

He never actually appeared. Was hired then almost immediately fired.
I heard David Spade and Dana Carvey mention him on their "Fly On The Wall" or "Superfly" podcast and they said he had been hired for SNL and fired shortly thereafter. I guess he was announced as a new guest member and then when clips from an old podcast resurfaced, he was fired.

I thought his "Beautiful Dogs" stand up was good. Not top notch because I think he needs to put more hours in, but good.

Looking forward to Shane Gillis hosting
I'm watching the monolog now having DVR'd it. He's brutally unfunny. I'm just hoping he doesn't tank the rest of the show.
I thought he was hilarious. :shrug: Proof that comedy is subjective. I enjoyed the edginess. It was refreshing.
If you've watched him pretty much anywhere, his monologue was just a spinoff of his usual routine. It was unfunny, the only really new joke I heard was the bit about the coffee shop. His sketch work was funny but I bailed after Weekend Update.

The problem with Gillis is, and he even said it during his monologue, his material isn't for TV. Just doesn't translate well at all.

I'm watching the monolog now having DVR'd it. He's brutally unfunny. I'm just hoping he doesn't tank the rest of the show.
I thought he was hilarious. :shrug: Proof that comedy is subjective. I enjoyed the edginess. It was refreshing.
If you've watched him pretty much anywhere, his monologue was just a spinoff of his usual routine. It was unfunny, the only really new joke I heard was the bit about the coffee shop. His sketch work was funny but I bailed after Weekend Update.

The problem with Gillis is, and he even said it during his monologue, his material isn't for TV. Just doesn't translate well at all.
Fair enough. I have never heard or seen him prior to the SNL monologue. I liked the edginess of it, but you could tell he was choosing his words carefully and maybe that was part of the problem.

Fair enough. I have never heard or seen him prior to the SNL monologue. I liked the edginess of it, but you could tell he was choosing his words carefully and maybe that was part of the problem.
He definitely came off as nervous during that monologue, but the sketches were pretty funny.

He definitely came off as nervous during that monologue, but the sketches were pretty funny.
Yea he sure did, very noticeable. If you haven't seen him before, he put out his first special on Youtube a few years ago. It's pretty solid, link below

Live in Austin

I'm a big comedy fan. The thing about SNL is that it has -always- been unfunny. Whatever your favorite era of SNL may be, it is WAY funnier in your mind, than it was in reality. Nobody watches all of the terrible sketches that Chris Farley was in, they watch Matt Foley - Motivational Speaker.

That is just the reality of any creative pursuit. Master arists paint a lot of terrible pictures. Great musical artists write terrible songs, and still release them on their latest albums. They're almost always remembered for their best (most popular) painting or song, and the junk they put out, is largely ignored by most people.

I thought Gillis (I'm a fan of his) was an above average host with a below average monologue. The sketches, taken as a whole, were better than most weeks. I'd argue that no sketches reached that "instant classic" range. I thought the Limu Emu sketch was the funniest, but the "pop-culture" material it is based on, probably limits the shelf life of it.

Overall, SNL is a fun television tradition, and when it hits the right notes - it enters into comedy immortality - but that rarely happens. But to me, it is still fun to watch the host & cast members try to reach that level, even if they almost always fail to do so.

Please don't change people's quotes making it look like they wrote something they did not write.
Hmmm, wasn't aware that there'd been a change to longstanding shtick.
I can't speak for others, but when I do it ... er, excuse me, did it, I did it with no malice aforethought, just trying to put a humorous spin on something.
Won't happen again.

I'm a big comedy fan. The thing about SNL is that it has -always- been unfunny. Whatever your favorite era of SNL may be, it is WAY funnier in your mind, than it was in reality.
Comedy is subjective and it seems more than a bit presumptuous that you'd tell us what is and what isn't funny.

For the record, SNL has always been uneven. Not every skit hits. For every More Cowbell there's Gilly. Of course you might find Gilly hilarious and More Cowbell a yawn, but that's just it, comedy is subjective. To say SNL has always been unfunny might be true for you, but for me, SNL has had some extremely funny highs over the years.

I'm a big comedy fan. The thing about SNL is that it has -always- been unfunny. Whatever your favorite era of SNL may be, it is WAY funnier in your mind, than it was in reality.
Comedy is subjective and it seems more than a bit presumptuous that you'd tell us what is and what isn't funny.

For the record, SNL has always been uneven. Not every skit hits. For every More Cowbell there's Gilly. Of course you might find Gilly hilarious and More Cowbell a yawn, but that's just it, comedy is subjective. To say SNL has always been unfunny might be true for you, but for me, SNL has had some extremely funny highs over the years.
Agree with this. Somewhere along the line SNL became popular to rip on for whatever reason. Kind of like Nickelback or something. I still find most of it pretty funny, and the prepared bits and news are almost always good.

Somewhere along the line SNL became popular to rip on for whatever reason

I've said it before, but I remember this back to mid-80's. Kids at school mimicking what their parents were saying, that it wasn't funny anymore. I've heard it said every season for the past 40 years.

Users who are viewing this thread