What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Why is the Eagles' song undeserving?
I really think the whole "I hate the Eagles, man" thing has gone too far.
To be fair, DrIan hated them BEFORE The Big Lebowski came out.

I will limit my snarking to bands not eligible for the current contest in the future.
I'm looking at all my avatar options.
Hey you, get off of MY cloud. :hot:

Thanks to krista4, hawks64, falguy and Val Rannous for their parts in making this run smoothly. The discussion was fun and insightful and the playlists made a great soundtrack for walking the dog.

Closer to home, the countdown was a wonderful, stress-free conversation topic around the dinner table. I learned some new things about my wife and daughter in the process.

the Stones pick that didn't happen - that surprised me

Jumpin' Jack Flash :kicksrock:
No Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice or Midnight Rambler either. Less shocking is no Brown Sugar, whose lyrics have not dated well.

I'm not much for Midnight Rambler, which is a meandering song, but the others are solid. I just went with more ragged names from the catalog. It may be that we've heard some of these so much that the others still have ways of surprising us.
I love Midnight Rambler, and I probably should have chosen it myself.

THIS DAY.

I can't even bold or italicize.

Started off with the board issues here. Minor in comparison to most things in the world, but after putting so much work into this, to have my last posts look like a disaster, despite my having formatted them for hours, was a bummer. Do we know if the site is going to be fixed?

Then noticed Squibby was having issues. The very good emergency vet in town is pretty understaffed as all vets tend to be right now, and you can't just walk in. You register online and then they put you in a queue and text you when they're ready for you to come in. But even if you're, say, fifth in queue as I was, other bigger emergencies might bump you down. A couple of hours in, I noticed Squibby getting worse, so I called to update his status, and given that they told me to bring him right away. No diagnosis or prognosis yet.

OH and I have had two vacations get bumped due to my chaotic work situation, and as soon as that was resolved I booked us two nights (he only has Wed/Thurs off, bleh) at this wonderful resort nearby where we've had some great experiences. They have two "cottages" that are their highest-priced ones, directly on the waterfront with a full view of the Olympic mountains. It's so damn peaceful and the perfect place finally to get some much-needed peace and relaxation. Knowing that Squibby will be in hospital for at least 24 hours, we thought we'd go ahead and come at least for this one night and go home tomorrow if we need to.

On our way down here, we came to a stop on the highway due to an accident. Googlemaps re-routed us to a back road where there was...another accident. FINALLY we got to the resort, checked in and headed to our cottage where we found...an earthmover. And guys with shovels moving dirt around on concrete. A couple of feet behind our cottage. It was LOUD.

Back to the lobby I went, to find out if this was just today or would be continuing throughout our stay. The children at the front desk were eager to help. They called maintenance, who said those guys weren't theirs, they were construction. They called a manager who didn't answer. They finally reached a different manager, who would look into it. Another 30 minutes passed. A manager came down and told me that they would have to have maintenance inquire of the construction team what their schedule was going to be. The manager could not contact the construction team himself, as they were overseen by the maintenance team. Another 30 minutes passed. The very helpful children at the front desk again let us know they were working on it (seriously, these guys were great) but that the "resort manager" had to approve anything they'd do. One of the children told me that they believed the construction would only be going on from 9-4. Not OK. Another 20 minutes passed as the resort manager was "in an important meeting." Finally, Jake the resort manager appeared.

And guess what? He made it all ok. He acknowledged that another guest in the last week had had the same problem. He offered us various solutions. He got us a wine and a beer while we discussed. He was A+ in customer service, as had the others been despite the delays. So now we're staying in the only other comparable cottage in the resort, and he's comping this night. Tomorrow we'll move to a lesser cottage not directly on the water but with a view, and we'll pay the lesser rate for that of course. We've stayed in those before, and they're lovely. OH is inside in front of the fire, and I'm typing from the deck of our two-story, 1400 sq ft "cottage" looking at the Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountains (Bill Gates has a house next door!) and I'm here to tell you...this day has been all right. Despite the challenges today, we are very lucky.

Now to catch up on the thread!

Last edited:
THIS DAY.

Started off with the board issues here. Minor in comparison to most things in the world, but after putting so much work into this, to have my last posts look like a disaster, despite my having formatted them for hours, was a bummer. Do we know if the site is going to be fixed?

Then noticed Squibby was having issues. The very good emergency vet in town is pretty understaffed as all vets tend to be right now, and you can't just walk in. You register online and then they put you in a queue and text you when they're ready for you to come in. But even if you're, say, fifth in queue as I was, other bigger emergencies might bump you down. A couple of hours in, I noticed Squibby getting worse, so I called to update his status, and given that they told me to bring him right away. No diagnosis or prognosis yet.

OH and I have had two vacations get bumped due to my chaotic work situation, and as soon as that was resolved I booked us two nights (he only has Wed/Thurs off, bleh) at this wonderful resort nearby where we've had some great experiences. They have two "cottages" that are their highest-priced ones, directly on the waterfront with a full view of the Olympic mountains. It's so damn peaceful and the perfect place finally to get some much-needed peace and relaxation. Knowing that Squibby will be in hospital for at least 24 hours, we thought we'd go ahead and come at least for this one night and go home tomorrow if we need to.

On our way down here, we came to a stop on the highway due to an accident. Googlemaps re-routed us to a back road where there was...another accident. FINALLY we got to the resort, checked in and headed to our cottage where we found...an earthmover. And guys with shovels moving dirt around on concrete. A couple of feet behind our cottage. It was LOUD.

Back to the lobby I went, to find out if this was just today or would be continuing throughout our stay. The children at the front desk were eager to help. The called maintenance, who said those guys weren't theirs, they were construction. They called a manager who didn't answer. They finally reached a different manager, who would look into it. Another 30 minutes passed. A manager came down and told me that they would have to have maintenance inquire of the construction team what their schedule was going to be. The manager could not contact the construction team himself, as they were overseen by the maintenance team. Another 30 minutes passed. The very helpful children at the front desk again let us know they were working on it (seriously, these guys were great) but that the "resort manager" had to approve anything they'd do. One of the children told me that they believed the construction would only be going on from 9-4. Not OK. Another 20 minutes passed as the resort manager was "in an important meeting." Finally, Jake the resort manager appeared.

And guess what? He made it all ok. He acknowledged that another guest in the last week had had the same problem. He offered us various solutions. He got us a wine and a beer while we discussed. He was A+ in customer service, as had the others been despite the delays. So now we're staying in the only other comparable cottage in the resort, and he's comping this night. Tomorrow we'll move to a lesser cottage not directly on the water but with a view, and we'll pay the lesser rate for that of course. We've stayed in those before, and they're lovely. OH is inside in front of the fire, and I'm typing from the deck of our two-story, 1400 sq ft "cottage" looking at the Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountains (Bill Gates has a house next door!) and I'm here to tell you...this day has been all right. Despite the challenges today, we are very lucky.

Nice job leading us into a dark place, only to throw sunshine.

Stones picks got heavily concentrated into a coupe songs. All those Gimme Shelter voters for example.
If I had moved off of Gimme Shelter, it would have been to Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which wouldn't have helped expand their song appearances.

They would have benefited from fewer people sticking to the one-song-per-artist theme, as would have most of the biggest names, I would think.
Yep, I could certainly list a lot of LZ and Beatles songs that are "worthy" of being selected here.

I wish someone had made room for Strawberry Fields Forever. I'm happy no one made room for Penny Lane. :lol:

The Beatles benefited from Zegras11 NOT sticking to one song per artist, as he took 11 of their songs (plus one George solo).
Keith Richards doesn't like this.

There were other people (like cosjobs - maybe others but I remember him off the top of my head) who didn't get into the Beatles but picked multiple Rolling Stones songs. Same with Zep. Hard to say where the votes would have ended up if there were a one song per artist rule, though.

THIS DAY.

Back to the lobby I went, to find out if this was just today or would be continuing throughout our stay. The children at the front desk were eager to help. The called maintenance, who said those guys weren't theirs, they were construction. They called a manager who didn't answer. They finally reached a different manager, who would look into it. Another 30 minutes passed. A manager came down and told me that they would have to have maintenance inquire of the construction team what their schedule was going to be. The manager could not contact the construction team himself, as they were overseen by the maintenance team. Another 30 minutes passed. The very helpful children at the front desk again let us know they were working on it (seriously, these guys were great) but that the "resort manager" had to approve anything they'd do. One of the children told me that they believed the construction would only be going on from 9-4. Not OK. Another 20 minutes passed as the resort manager was "in an important meeting." Finally, Jake the resort manager appeared.

Nice job leading us into a dark place, only to throw sunshine.
Yeah they had a bunch better ending than I had expected

Overture! Hit the lights! This is it! The height of heights! Not surprisingly, there were few songs that I didn’t know before this starting, and more were certainly added along the way. Thanks for the ride, each and every one of you! Just ignore how I took the easy route of picking new songs for favorites and all the songs I didn’t know (plus one I’d heard before) for the second category >.>.

#1s
Recognized by title alone: 28
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from this countdown: 5
Didn't know: 3

Selected Favorites:
Dogs (Pip’s Invitation) - Tough call between the 3 new Floyd songs today!
Black Star (titusbramble)
Rebel Yell (Andy Dufrense)
Tupelo Honey (ilov80s)
Viva La Vida (Chaz McNulty)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
All Things Must Pass (Oliver Humanzee)
To Sir With Love (Mrs. Eephus)
If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know) (ditkaburgers)
The Village Green Preservation Society (landry’s hat) - Yes, a repeat selection. Still, one thing this whole thing taught me was that I need to do a refresher course (/deep dive) on songs from The Kinks.

Added a tab that shows all the songs selected for each artist sorted by artist. Ignore the "xxxx total" line. I have no idea why that got added and I'm not about to manually remove it

Also, in case you wondered and i can't recall if K4 posted this but I count (by I, I mean Excel)
369 different artists
898 different songs

I have this but not going to look into it now. I think I had 372 artists, which is close enough as we might have counted some of them differently.

Added a tab that shows all the songs selected for each artist sorted by artist. Ignore the "xxxx total" line. I have no idea why that got added and I'm not about to manually remove it

Also, in case you wondered and i can't recall if K4 posted this but I count (by I, I mean Excel)
369 different artists
898 different songs

I have this but not going to look into it now. I think I had 372 artists, which is close enough as we might have counted some of them differently.
Anybody complains they can run the next one.

Big props to Krista, Hawks and anyone else involved behind the scenes, plus everyone here for the fun and illuminating thread. Loved so many of the songs and stories - just bummed I wasn't able to be around as much for the top half or so of the reveal.

Because it wouldn't be a recent music thread without my (completely unfeigned) ignorance schtick, I'm happy to report that I knew 23 of the top 25 British Isles songs even before this whole thing started. Unfortunately for my music cred, the two I didn't know finished in 2nd and 3rd place (Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding and Into the Mystic).

On that note, flying out to San Francisco tomorrow with my son for one final college visit (I hate to admit that his musical taste sucks compared to Ditkaburgers). Seven months from now, Mrs. Scorchy and I will be empty nesters and I'll have even more time for music threads.

Jamiroquai - Alright, Virtual Insanity
Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away :cry:

There was an attempt at a Jamiroquai song that was ineligible, so that might have been the issue. I didn't look at the song you named in particular.

Paul Young has a special place in my heart. Freshman year of college I had his poster on my wall. Jane, who lived down the hall and was a year ahead of me, from Brooklyn, and soooooo much cooler, came into my dorm room one day and just looked at me, then rolled her eyes over to the poster, then to me. Turned out he was playing in Boston, and we went to it together. She's still one of my few closest friends to this day.

One thing that does jump out to me is that my list was the second chalkiest. I never would've thought that when submitting it. No Zeppelin or Elton John or U2. Stunned at how well it lined up with others here.

Thanks to krista4, hawks64, falguy and Val Rannous for their parts in making this run smoothly. The discussion was fun and insightful and the playlists made a great soundtrack for walking the dog.

Closer to home, the countdown was a wonderful, stress-free conversation topic around the dinner table. I learned some new things about my wife and daughter in the process.

Maybe my favorite part of the countdown was your descriptions of the "why" on each of your family's picks. I already loved ditka but was happy to "get to know" Mrs. Ee now, too. And it was great to have a fresh perspective outside of most of us picking a lot of the same stuff (I'd like to shout out titusbramble for that, too).

I learned a lot about OH in this as well. Wait, no, that's not true. I already knew he liked shouty homeless guy music. Though being serious, I was really happy to see his top three consist of George Harrison, Richard Thompson, and the Beatles. :wub:

Big props to Krista, Hawks and anyone else involved behind the scenes, plus everyone here for the fun and illuminating thread. Loved so many of the songs and stories - just bummed I wasn't able to be around as much for the top half or so of the reveal.

Because it wouldn't be a recent music thread without my (completely unfeigned) ignorance schtick, I'm happy to report that I knew 23 of the top 25 British Isles songs even before this whole thing started. Unfortunately for my music cred, the two I didn't know finished in 2nd and 3rd place (Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding and Into the Mystic).

On that note, flying out to San Francisco tomorrow with my son for one final college visit (I hate to admit that his musical taste sucks compared to Ditkaburgers). Seven months from now, Mrs. Scorchy and I will be empty nesters and I'll have even more time for music threads.

"My Sweet Lord" came on Sirius when we were driving down here (and not even on the Beatles channel!), and I thought of you.

Also thought of Mrs. R and Mrs. E when Tom Jones's "Delilah" came on. OH told me about how it's not allowed to be played at rugby matches in Wales anymore? Bummer.

As a preview to the potential Beatles(/Dylan?) covers draft, I also heard a couple of covers I'd never heard before. I'm not saying I totally loved either one, but I thought they were good and interesting:
Dillard & Clark - Don't Let Me Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOdxNy6m-A4
Zoe - I Want You which I can't find anywhere? it was pretty cool.

I was going to put today's playlist on for the drive, but it was only supposed to be an hour trip, and I wanted to hear more than just Pip's selection. :lol:

Jamiroquai - Alright, Virtual Insanity
Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away :cry:

There was an attempt at a Jamiroquai song that was ineligible, so that might have been the issue. I didn't look at the song you named in particular.

Paul Young has a special place in my heart. Freshman year of college I had his poster on my wall. Jane, who lived down the hall and was a year ahead of me, from Brooklyn, and soooooo much cooler, came into my dorm room one day and just looked at me, then rolled her eyes over to the poster, then to me. Turned out he was playing in Boston, and we went to it together. She's still one of my few closest friends to this day.
My Paul Young concert experience was very different. He was the opener for my Genesis show in 1987, at Veterans Stadium. We were in the nosebleeds. After about 20 minutes lots of folks in our area were yelling at him to get off the stage.

Maybe my favorite part of the countdown was your descriptions of the "why" on each of your family's picks. I already loved ditka but was happy to "get to know" Mrs. Ee now, too. And it was great to have a fresh perspective outside of most of us picking a lot of the same stuff (I'd like to shout out titusbramble for that, too).

I learned a lot about OH in this as well. Wait, no, that's not true. I already knew he liked shouty homeless guy music. Though being serious, I was really happy to see his top three consist of George Harrison, Richard Thompson, and the Beatles. :wub:
You've trained him well!

I was going to put today's playlist on for the drive, but it was only supposed to be an hour trip, and I wanted to hear more than just Pip's selection. :lol:
:laugh: That wasn't even the longest song on my list!

THIS DAY.

Back to the lobby I went, to find out if this was just today or would be continuing throughout our stay. The children at the front desk were eager to help. They called maintenance, who said those guys weren't theirs, they were construction. They called a manager who didn't answer. They finally reached a different manager, who would look into it. Another 30 minutes passed. A manager came down and told me that they would have to have maintenance inquire of the construction team what their schedule was going to be. The manager could not contact the construction team himself, as they were overseen by the maintenance team. Another 30 minutes passed. The very helpful children at the front desk again let us know they were working on it (seriously, these guys were great) but that the "resort manager" had to approve anything they'd do. One of the children told me that they believed the construction would only be going on from 9-4. Not OK. Another 20 minutes passed as the resort manager was "in an important meeting." Finally, Jake the resort manager appeared.

Glad it worked out in the end, despite the down things.

Could it have been Sophie B. Hawkins?

ditkaburgers:

If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) - The 1975
(new song)

This is the only new-to-me song of today. It sounds very '80s to me. Not only in keys/synth sound (and sax solo!), but in the spacing of the beat, if that makes any sense. It "breathes" the same way that a Tears for Fears or Cutting Crew song does. So it comes off a little nostalgic to this middle-aged dummy.

Great thread. Thanks to @krista4 , @Hawks64 , @falguy and @Val Rannous for all their extra work to make it so. As well to everyone else who had so much to say. Always entertaining and informative.

My unwanted COVID vacation ended a few days ago so I haven't been able to participate as much or listen to the last playlists yet but, frankly, the final few playlists were mostly loaded with excellent tunes already listed. I'll listen to those few strays I've never heard.
Very happy with the late Radiohead surge, including my numero uno. :wub:

Nice job by the contest winners and much thanks to krista again for donating the prizes for charity. You are very generous.

Looking forward to the catch-all edition already!

Last edited:

No, and this sounds like a version of the Dylan song, not the Beatles one?

Now it's going to drive me crazy that I can't find this. Sounded dancy, more along the lines of something ditka would take. It was interesting and enjoyable.

Now it's going to drive me crazy that I can't find this. Sounded dancy, more along the lines of something ditka would take. It was interesting and enjoyable.

Might could be this person? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoë_(...he disappeared,becoming a sculptor and potter.

Users who are viewing this thread